IGNORED

Liam Pre Swansea - Some recent history is long ago and some not so recent is rewritten

Silvio Dante

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t know if Nige read otib or not but if he did he certainly didn’t take any notice……..:cool2:

Alan Dicks,Joe Jordon, Nigel Pearson and Danny Wilson were proper managers - I can think of any others in my time.

Here’s your confirmation he does read it and take notice. My pleasure.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t know if Nige read otib or not but if he did he certainly didn’t take any notice……..:cool2:

Alan Dicks,Joe Jordon, Nigel Pearson and Danny Wilson were proper managers - I can think of any others in my time.

Terry Cooper? Cotts? That bloke that got us within a half a pube's width of the Prem?

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’d overlooked TC for some reason………:dunno: and I never rated Cotterill. I considered him a chancer and that proved to be the case.

How so? or just another wind up? But I'll bite !

The last manager to win a promotion, a trophy, and the reason we're watching Championship football.  Oversaw some excellent recruitment (inc. Kodjia enabling the club to recoup their outlay x5) , but was let down by SL and ultimately the fact that he didn't rate Mark Ashton and refused to support his proposed appointment did for him in the end ( the results giving SL the justification as it did with Nige), with MA appointed within 36 hours of SC's departure.

Perhaps SL should have listened to Cotts, events proved he was right all along.

But chancer - really?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

How so? or just another wind up? But I'll bite !

The last manager to win a promotion, a trophy, and the reason we're watching Championship football.  Oversaw some excellent recruitment (inc. Kodjia enabling the club to recoup their outlay x5) , but was let down by SL and ultimately the fact that he didn't rate Mark Ashton and refused to support his proposed appointment did for him in the end ( the results giving SL the justification as it did with Nige), with MA appointed within 36 hours of SC's departure.

Perhaps SL should have listened to Cotts, events proved he was right all along.

But chancer - really?

SC’s sacking has been done to death CR - let it go………:dunno:

20 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Says the man who's been sticking pins into an effigy of Gary Johnson every day for - what is it 17 years? - 🤣🤣🤣

CR - I haven’t mentioned the unsophisticated one trick pony for ages.

On 27/09/2024 at 10:19, petehinton said:

Dull, but I think he was largely pretty interesting to listen to tbh. Especially when it came to academy, category upgrading, style of play etc.  I think (rightly) so many fans made up their mind on him so early on that it almost didn’t matter though. 

Spot on, SO'D was a really dour, serious and fairly obnoxious bugger, but I really enjoyed his press conferences; Felt like you learned something new every time you listened to him tbh. It was a shit show under him but he laid many of the foundations that Cotts built upon. (Not to take any credit away from the King)

On 27/09/2024 at 10:54, mozo said:

My personal thoughts are that these press conferences are not for Manning to entertain fans, or to give analysis for football nerds like us. The objective is simply to give the media some basic soundbites so they can write a story.

I bet only a small % of City fans even watch these things, and most will read the story in the press and barely take it in.

So, I'm not especially bothered about the content of these things, or how charismatic the guy is.

There have been a few comments asking how he motivates players. God knows, but he does. That's all that matters. Irrespective of team selections and tactics, his side always goes out looking motivated and never down tools.

Off the back of two shocking defeats, we still came out against Oxford looking confident and up for it, and we dominated most of the game. There must be interpersonal skills there.

There will be people that just don't like him because he comes across as conceited and dry, just like some didn't Nige for being too belligerent, or LJ for being too self-promoting. And the next manager will have some their own characteristic that ruffles people's feathers. Such is life.

Ultimately though, as much as we can criticise his persona, his tactics, selections etc, the performances and results are what matters. He can be as weird as he wants if his team produces the goods.

A lot here I understand, but plenty I'd argue against. 

Whilst the press conferences are small fry, Manning is going to need to improve his performance at them should he realise his ambitions of being a top tier manager. I'd be really disappointed if he shared your view on the lack of importance of them too. It's his only real opportunity to communicate with the fans and I personally consider the openness and honesty of the previous manager to be one of the major factors in his popularity here. Manning has gone from evasive to now seemingly being ok with blatant mistruths and that's not ever a good thing in establishing trust between the players, fans or media. 

What's interesting is I can't see anyone in the local media group now smart enough or brave enough to see through the lies/inaccuracies as they are said and call them out. And if they did, I'd be very interested to see how defensive Manning could get...

I'd also suggest that the bulk of this squad and the core shared principles of the group were established long before Manning arrived...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Spot on, SO'D was a really dour, serious and fairly obnoxious bugger, but I really enjoyed his press conferences; Felt like you learned something new every time you listened to him tbh. It was a shit show under him but he laid many of the foundations that Cotts built upon. (Not to take any credit away from the King)

SOD`s programme notes were always worth a read too. I found them very interesting and totally at odds with how he came across in the press conferences.

• Like 1

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

SOD`s programme notes were always worth a read too. I found them very interesting and totally at odds with how he came across in the press conferences.

Yes, they were fab. If I remember correctly we used to make them available online too?

I'm sure his accent had a big part to play in his perception. Understandably so tbh... 😂

• Like 1