IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

Jerseybean

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They e gone back-3 last few games, wonder if LM is thinking of matching them up (out of possession).

Dave, I think that you think a lot more about it than Liam thinks.. We didn’t lose at Swansea so no changes… I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think Roberts might miss out.

Thought Cam played well when he came on so not too disappointed with this.

Other possible changes are Sykes in for Yu (which I don't think will be very popular on here) as we were left vulnerable at the back - he's also a great impact sub as seen against Oxford. Possibly Williams in for Bird as the latter had a bit of an off game.

52 minutes ago, PortInTheMorning said:

Other possible changes are Sykes in for Yu (which I don't think will be very popular on here) as we were left vulnerable at the back - he's also a great impact sub as seen against Oxford. Possibly Williams in for Bird as the latter had a bit of an off game.

But would you not prefer to start with Yu and Bird in a home game. In a more attacking line up. And have Williams and Sykes for an away starting line up ?

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

A decent home win v Oxford, followed by a battling point on the road to lift the mood.

We are all aware of our Modus Operandi'........

Next up?? - two (winnable) matches at home,with an opportunity to break the cast,,bolster confidence & transform a less than settled atmosphere.. 🤞

What could possibly go wrong!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Hmmm 2

21 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Wednesday on Wednesday with a 8 pm kick off.

We welcome the Owls under the floodlights at the Gate. Last season we narrowly won at home to them, https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/red-zone/red-zone-bristol-city-1-0-sheffield-wednesday/ which turned out to be the one and only game under Curtis Fleming.

Over the years we have lost 31, won 19 and drawn 16 times against them.

On Saturday they beat WBA 3-2, having gone 2-0 up WBA then got things back level, only for SW to bag a third and inflict a first defeat on the Baggies.

Danny Rohl was appointed as their manager last October, here’s his first interview: https://youtu.be/Fjez7QMMH24?si=4GE1EZztrCFeSzNL

It was his first managerial role having worked as an assistant at RB Leipzig, Southampton, Bayern Munich and with the German national team; at the time he was appointed Sheffield Wednesday were bottom of the Championship (with three points from 11 games) having sacked Xisco Munoz following a 10-game winless start. At the time, at 34, he was also the youngest EFL manager.

They added Angers full-back Yan Valery for an undisclosed fee in June. The 25-year-old Tunisia defender previously worked under Owls boss Danny Rohl when the pair were at Southampton.

He joined the French side from Saints in September 2022 and helped them win promotion back to Ligue 1 last season after relegation in his first campaign.

They signed goalkeeper Ben Hamer and full-back Max Lowe.  They also signed Brighton goalkeeper James Beadle on a season-long loan deal.

In June they signed Hansa Rostock midfielder Svante Ingelsson on a free transfer. The 26-year-old Swede spent the past three seasons with the German club, who were relegated to the third tier last season and made 82 league appearances.

They signed Arka Gdynia winger Olaf Kobacki for an undisclosed fee. The 22-year-old, who is reported to have signed a four-year deal, scored 13 goals in the Polish second tier last season.

Added former Manchester United striker Charlie McNeill.

The 20-year-old was released by the Red Devils after making one appearance for the senior side.

They re-signed forward Ike Ugbo from French side Troyes for an undisclosed fee.

Also signed Southampton midfielder Shea Charles on a season-long loan deal.

Holmowl shared this:

‘Ignore our 2nd, 3rd and 4th games against Sunderland, Leeds and Millwall. We were dire but have changed our approach since then. We have reverted to a back 3 from a back 4 and it’s transformed us. We’ve also stopped being slaves to playing out from the back, which was putting us under the cosh. Now we mix it up, choosing the right times to play out and the right times to play long. So you won’t get the gifts we were offering opponents early in the season. 

We are weak at set-pieces at both ends. We have a recruited a new highly-rated set-piece coach. He’s only been here just over a week but we were that bad that it’s quite probable we’ll have improved.

We had dreadful luck v QPR and at Luton. We should have taken six points, rather than the one point we took due to late goals and shocking refs.

Bannan is on excellent form, with two goals and an assist in our last three games. He’s got a new partner in young Shea Charles on loan from Southampton. He looks terrific and there are signs of a really good partnership forming.

We create plenty of good chances but our forwards’ finishing has been poor.

Our table position is misleading. We dominated QPR, Luton and West Brom and we’ll win many more than we lose.

We play fast-paced attacking football. Plenty of pace on the pitch and the bench.’

Dutch McLovin had this to say ‘am not looking forward to this game for the following reasons… the most glaring, we’re not great away from home. We rarely do well at your place, and although I’m fully behind our management team and what he is trying to do, our players aren’t that good. We have played well last couple of games and with referees doing their job would have had 6 points, but the main problem is we’ve had a gazillion chances and we’ve managed to score 1 in both games. And that is our main problem we don’t have enough goals in us.

From an outsider view of you, I like Liam Manning, I think he’s a good manager who likes to play the right way and progress clubs.  Think you have made some good signings in the summer in McNally, Twine and Mayulu who looks like he will score goals at this level and is a good age to improve, he’s the kind of striker I’d like us to sign but it would be pointless as he’s gonna need time to come good and we never give anyone time. I also noticed you went into the Japanese market, I’m not sure what he’s like Hirakawa but this is usually a market that produces good players so could turn into a good move for you. Have you got enough to push I’m not sure yet but I defo think you’re going in the right direction.’

Given it’s the Robins v the Owls here’s a couple of articles about birds and football….

https://www.scarecrow.eu/birdsandfootball/

https://thedrunkbirder.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/birds-and-football/

In fact birds are the animal that more football team nicknames are named after than any other. There are multiple Magpies (Newcastle United, Notts County), at least three Robins (us, Cheltenham Town, Swindon Town), but surprisingly few Eagles (Crystal Palace). Seagulls provide a key soundtrack to any seaside visit, so their connection with Brighton and Hove Albion is an absolutely natural fit. The Bantams (Bradford City) are not named for the boxing weight class but the alleged similarity of their claret and gold kits to the feathers of a small but mighty bantam chicken. The Canaries (Norwich City) have zero association with their role as the harbingers of coal mine disaster; rather, they trace back to Renaissance-era weavers who brought the birds with them when emigrating from Flanders to Norwich.

There are even a handful of teams with bird names that are not technically named for our feathered friends. Todays opponents nickname the Owls is a shortening of Owlerton, a suburb of Sheffield, with Swans (Swansea City) following a similar approach. Though it’s fallen out of use as a sobriquet since the introduction of an all-white kit, the Peacocks (Leeds United) stemmed not from the regal bird but the original name of Leeds’ ground, the Old Peacock Ground, which in turn was named after the neighbouring Old Peacock pub. But the most obscure among the bird-inspired names are the Bluebirds (Cardiff City), named not for the club switching to a blue kit in 1910 but for a play called The Bluebird of Happiness by Nobel Prize winner Maurice Maeterlinck that found incredible success when it was mounted in Wales in 1911.

Referee is Anthony Backhouse, who will be assisted by Alex James and Bhupinder Singh Gill. Fourth official is James Linington.

Sports Mole going for a draw, https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/bristol-city/preview/preview-bristol-city-vs-sheff-weds-prediction-team-news-lineups_554229.html as is this, https://www.sheffieldwednesday.news/news/efl-pundit-shares-narrow-score-prediction-for-bristol-city-v-sheffield-wednesday/

Come on you robinssssssssssssss.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=when+the+red+red+robin+comes+bob+bobing+along&&mid=8221AFF3F81445C77B7F8221AFF3F81445C77B7F&&FORM=VRDGAR

12 hours ago, PortInTheMorning said:

I can see us going back to a midefield 3 of Williams, Bird and Knight with the latter as the 'Number 10' but doing a man marking job on Bannan.

I've always felt we've made Bannan look a better player than he is by seemingly deciding not to mark, close down or indeed have any inclination to get anywhere near him. Once again a lot of pressure on Armstrong to close down the lines and stop him picking up the ball easily.

If we go with that 3 I think he'll play Twine left and Mehmeti right as the latter had a good game Sunday and the former won't be dropped/rested.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

A decent home win v Oxford, followed by a battling point on the road to lift the mood.

We are all aware of our Modus Operandi'........

Next up?? - two (winnable) matches at home,with an opportunity to break the cast,,bolster confidence & transform a less than settled atmosphere.. 🤞

Two winnable games at home in the same week 🙈

how long you been watching city 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Nothing. Apparently Weds have lost all their away games so far!! 🙄😂

Yep.

Sunderland 0-4

Millwall 0-3

Luton 1-2

Went to 3 at the back after the Millwall stuffing and seem to be playing better but conceding an average of two per game overall. Only scored one away from home and conceded nine in their three games.

0-0 then ;)

3 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

I know he's getting on a bit but he's still a very good player at this level IMO and I'd have him in our team. I watched a bit of their game against Luton and his goal was absolutely top drawer technique. 

As an opposition team, you have to make him run around…if you let him sit in pockets (either to receive from defence or link with attack) he’s still a very capable player.  But if you make him chase the ball, he tires and loses effectiveness and then can’t get on the ball.

I hope we don’t indulge him tonight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

As an opposition team, you have to make him run around…if you let him sit in pockets (either to receive from defence or link with attack) he’s still a very capable player.  But if you make him chase the ball, he tires and loses effectiveness and then can’t get on the ball.

I hope we don’t indulge him tonight.

Either that or wipe him out in the first 5 minutes. He will be of no use to them sat back on the bench.. 😂

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, PortInTheMorning said:

I live in France and I've been able to watch all 7 games so far. It keeps saying audio only for me?

I swear it's just changed to video in last 3 minutes...now it's saying that it's not available in my region (France)

Am I the only one having this issue?

Is it just not available in France?

Edited by PortInTheMorning

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Beginning to develop a ‘David F’ing Kelly’ feeling for this bloke. 

How much longer can he continue to plague us? He must be entering his 150th season soon. 

Didn't plague us last season though, did he. Actually did us a massive favour (we'll the ref did).

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Is there any official source or page confirming if tonights game is on RobinsTV?  Not sure if I can make it to The Gate, but might just be able to catch it on VPN if it's being broadcast.

Not on in France...but apparently elsewhere

Unless it's a glitch

3 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

I can see us going back to a midefield 3 of Williams, Bird and Knight with the latter as the 'Number 10' but doing a man marking job on Bannan.

I've always felt we've made Bannan look a better player than he is by seemingly deciding not to mark, close down or indeed have any inclination to get anywhere near him. Once again a lot of pressure on Armstrong to close down the lines and stop him picking up the ball easily.

If we go with that 3 I think he'll play Twine left and Mehmeti right as the latter had a good game Sunday and the former won't be dropped/rested.

It almost seemed liked Lee Johnson gave him the keys to Ashton Gate to try and make a point we needed a ‘Bannan’. He seemed to have a weakness for a little ball player

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PortInTheMorning said:

I live in France and I've been able to watch all 7 games so far. It keeps saying audio only for me?

I’m in Argentina.  Definitely showing video here.  Perhaps the game is being shown in France on a local channel.  If you’re really keen, suggest you buy a VPN and set it to another country than France.

10 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I remember the Wednesday defenders last season bullying Conway off the ball with ease, and out pacing him. Hopefully it will be a different game for them tonight with Armstrong and the option of Fally.

Will be a tough game though.

Talking of Tommy, Saw he wasn’t in Boro’s squad last night.  Presume he’s injured.  Nothing trivial I hope.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Malago said:

I’m in Argentina.  Definitely showing video here.  Perhaps the game is being shown in France on a local channel.  If you’re really keen, suggest you buy a VPN and set it to another country than France.

Yea I might have to get one. Shame considering it worked  here for the first 7 games.

I have French TV so I'll check that too

Thanks 

1 hour ago, PortInTheMorning said:

If you're watching via computer or mobile install a vpn and find a country that isn't blocked (they won't all be). I might have a look in a bit for you.

Ed: Done. It's available in Spain. I changed windscribe from France (unavailable) to Spain.

Screenshot_20241002_135746_Brave.png

Edited by Sleepy1968
vpn stuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Home form has been good this season, that needs to continue tonight. Another draw where we miss five good chances might just break me. +3 tonight please, put us near the top 6.

We need to win our home games as often as possilble as our away form under Manning is poor, just 3 wins in 20 since he took over.

But as you say our form this season at home is decent, 2 wins out of 3, so need to build on that.