IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

Jerseybean

Just now, CiderHider said:

When Earthy starts, Dickie and Bell are back you'll see, but there is no disguising the stats, Mehmeti needs to be benched and Armstrong is not going to score 10 goals this season even if he plays 90s min, time to start Wells and not mess about anymore.

Bell and Wells, that’s going to have the championship quaking in their boots 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Red Ferret said:

I thought Twines job was to be the playmaker and play killer balls through to the attackers. Haven't seen any of that so far

He collects the ball and runs with it, often drifting out towards the wing . He needs to be picking out key passes into the box. 

If the two players behind him spend 90 mins facing their own goal...

To say we would be top 6 with Pearson and the sacred “backing” is such rubbish. Offered some decent stability but the man is a has been when it comes to plotting a way out of this league, of this I am fairly certain.

The new guy however, likely to be a never been so we probably need to go back to the well

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 6

2 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Few short years ago we beat Villa 3-1 at the gate, Tammy with a couple. Tonight Villa face Munich in the champions league at a packed Villa park. Whereas I would settle at keeping Barry f****ng Bannan quiet tonight in the heart of the Sheffield Wednesday midfield.

And tonight they’ve beaten Bayern at home in the Champions League. Our paths have differed somewhat!

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, rednotblue said:

Did Manning try and win the game? Could have gone two up. Bench not being utilised.

60th minute substitute - not pre planned of course though! 

Clean sheet good. Not scoring goals bad.

Is Twine worth his place in starting 11? 

Manning and the words ‘two up top’ do not go together…

He hasn’t done this when chasing a game. He wasn’t going to do this to win a game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Hopefully Earthy and McCrorie can be ready for gametime on Sunday because they both could have contributed today with some verve.

If we're waiting for McCrorie to save us then gawd help us. The man who goes down the wing, cuts inside and falls over - that's pretty much all he offers. Really depressed at where we've ended up this season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

time to start Wells and not mess about anymore

This has got to be one of the funniest posts tonight........Wells is for the bench only as his goalscoring days are way behind him,legs are gone as well. Absolutely criminal that Mayulu stayed on the bench.......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

To say we would be top 6 with Pearson and the sacred “backing” is such rubbish. Offered some decent stability but the man is a has been when it comes to plotting a way out of this league, of this I am fairly certain.

The new guy however, likely to be a never been so we probably need to go back to the well

Apart from when he won Championship title with Leicester City? 

2 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

As much of a fan of Pearson’s as I am, I agree claims of us being top 6 if he had £10m to spend are a little OTT.

But what I am convinced about is us being a closer to it than we are right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

The guy has absolutely no excuse now. Got the players he wanted, had time to stamp his playing style on the team, whatever the style is! I said at the beginning of the season give him a dozen or so games but so far it's been pretty poor. 

Having to rely on Wells who I think has barely scored from open play for the last is it? Who knows why Fally isn't being given a chance although I did say that I thought he might not be the good signing people thought he'd be, hopefully wrong but looking like a few million wasted and whatever we paid for Twine. 

This one was particularly difficult to stomach. Clearly superior in the first half, a simple tweak of taking off Twine and a positive substitution (heaven forbid a second striker) and the match was there for the taking against a poor side. 

But to strategically and tactically engineer such a godawful boring second half like that and to naively cock it all up just beggars belief. 

Just what does that clown see from the touchline?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Just deluded. He’s under no pressure. 17th place and he keeps his job. They’ve backed him, he has the easiest job in the champ. 

Exactly. He’s under no pressure whatsoever and won’t be. He’s loved by Tinnion and Lansdown and will be here for ages yet. 

My real worry … looking at our ‘strike force’, what do we reckon their realistic totals will be for the season?

Armstrong 7

Wells 6

Bell 5 (if he recovers from injury)

Fally 1 (on the basis he’s £2 million plus purchase, that’s seemingly gone off the manager’s radar)

A grand total of 19 … which means your top goal scorers are coming from the midfield or wings. Then take into account are centre backs hardly ever score and full backs once in a blue moon. 

Lummydaze. We could be in serious, serious trouble here. 

• Like 1

Well, I'm sure this will not be popular on OTIB but I think we're a better team than we were before Manning.  Some of the patterns of play are a joy to watch and if we could only find the back of the net you'd all be purring at what you'd watched.  Juse need to solve the scoring issue but I'm sure it will come.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

My real worry … looking at our ‘strike force’, what do we reckon their realistic totals will be for the season?

Armstrong 7

Wells 6

Bell 5 (if he recovers from injury)

Fally 1 (on the basis he’s £2 million plus purchase, that’s seemingly gone off the manager’s radar)

A grand total of 19 … which means your top goal scorers are coming from the midfield or wings. Then take into account are centre backs hardly ever score and full backs once in a blue moon. 

Lummydaze. We could be in serious, serious trouble here. 

I think that's a tad ambitious......

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Yeah Pearson has no experience getting any team out of the championship.. 

• Like 2

Just back and have to say that was one of the most boring watches in many a year , where is this front foot fest we were promised? 
      To play for a draw at home to Wednesday is inexcusable, used to get excited for a Cardiff game , can’t see that happening with Manning at the helm . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Yep, you keep a tight grip on them, and bottle whatever you're taking for optimism. You'll be a millionaire...

Another point in the bag?

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Yep, you keep a tight grip on them, and bottle whatever you're taking for optimism. You'll be a millionaire...

Another point in the bag?

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I don't know why everyone is grumbling. We saw plenty of wonderful passing along the back line and lumping it forward when they pressed. I was on the edge of my seat in case we missed or underhit a pass and let Wednesday in on goal.  Super entertainment!

I agree, I for one am very much enjoying out front foot football from our top 6 squad with wonderful behaviours...

I was laughing post match as the presenter on radio drivel supported by Chris Honor and a couple of others criticized people booing after that bloody awful, gutless tepid half arsed second 45 minutes. 

We did what we do and took off Sinclair at about 60 and tried to walk the ball around the pitch with no real intent. 

A lad came on the radio and criticized Pring, who I thought did well, but launched into the Manning protection league Radio Bristol branch and pretty much told them that was utter rubbish and you don’t know what you’re watching. The pissed guy from last weekend alsotexted in and told them we are six points worse off than the same stage last season (I’ll take peoples word for that) 

Let me throw in my tuppence…The second half was unwatchable! Mind numbingly slow and for a passing team it’s amazing how many we over or under hit! We didn’t look like scoring or even getting bodies in the box! With Sykes clean through he had limited options and had to shoot!

The upside of tonight is Yu looks a player, Knight did well enough but no better than he should be, but as a team we didn’t look like scoring! 

The decision to sack Pearson was appalling but I’m over that now it’s been a year! Mr Manning it’s all on you now. You were a gamble as was the five million spent on Armstrong and Fally. We need a little pay off soon ! As for the radio drivel guys stop talking up relentless garbage! 

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

So many fake people on Radio Bristol. Someone's had a word because the vibe from the presenter and guests is well well off, Radio Bristol City 

Exactly. They talk to listeners/supporters like morons. 

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

So many fake people on Radio Bristol. Someone's had a word because the vibe from the presenter and guests is well well off, Radio Bristol City 

Most of them sound happy with a boring 0-0 draw at home. Probably never made it out of the Heineken lounge, too busy drinking the Lansdown wine 

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No. Didn't think it was one of the most clueless boring games I've seen tho either! 

Point is, the amount of times you see that kind of comment posted on social media, you can't help but take it with a large pinch of salt

Tell us what you found inspiring or even interesting in that performance?

• Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, cheese said:

Well, I'm sure this will not be popular on OTIB but I think we're a better team than we were before Manning.  Some of the patterns of play are a joy to watch and if we could only find the back of the net you'd all be purring at what you'd watched.  Juse need to solve the scoring issue but I'm sure it will come.

As opposed to puking at what we’ve watched tonight.

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. They are utterly deluded if they think there are any positives to take from that.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We’re going to be mid-table in the Championship for the rest of eternity, aren’t we.

It was the late great Tommy Docherty (the Man U manager, not the City player!) who once said “it’s good to see Bristol City back where they belong….11th in the second division”.

That was many years ago (when the championship was called the second division!) but never a truer word…….😂😂😂

• Like 1

Had a feeling that was going to be a terrible game so watched it on TV rather than walking 500 metres down the road.  What struck me whenever the camera panned to Manning is how much he looked like he didn’t know what to do.  Not a clue how to manage in game.  It was clear that they had made tactical changes second half and once again absolutely no response from Manning.  Just runs and runs with the same plan even when it’s clearly no longer working.  I’m more and more convinced that he’s been promoted way above his ability.  He can set us up okay given 3 days to think about it, and I thought we should have been up at half time.  Any kind of changes from the opposition though and he just doesn’t have any idea.  We are nearly always worse in the second half and it’s got to be significantly for that reason. 

• Flames 2

I commented on this forum quite early in the season that we wouldn't score enough to trouble the top six Now I'm not so sure well finish much outside the bottom  six Sinclair will never be a goal scorer,he's not good enough to compensate with assists and he'd pretty poor in the air Sorry being big strong and quick doesn't make you a footballer As for Fally all I can say is he can't be showing enough in training if he can't be trusted over Wells As for Twine again at the moment not good enough SO what does that say about the summer recruitment??alot of money wasted in my opinion I wonder if Pearson is watching this unfold and thinking IF ONLY I HAD THAT BACKING ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kernow red said:

I commented on this forum quite early in the season that we wouldn't score enough to trouble the top six Now I'm not so sure well finish much outside the bottom  six Sinclair will never be a goal scorer,he's not good enough to compensate with assists and he'd pretty poor in the air Sorry being big strong and quick doesn't make you a footballer As for Fally all I can say is he can't be showing enough in training if he can't be trusted over Wells As for Twine again at the moment not good enough SO what does that say about the summer recruitment??alot of money wasted in my opinion I wonder if Pearson is watching this unfold and thinking IF ONLY I HAD THAT BACKING ?

Tinnion’s promotions are the problem. They should have let Nige and Co crack on with it. 

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Me too! I thought Ian was the voice of BCFC. Christ bring back Twentyman NOW!

He’s saying earlier how basically 1 point per game is decent. Such a Tinnion fan. 

• Like 2