IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

Jerseybean

40 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

To say we would be top 6 with Pearson and the sacred “backing” is such rubbish. Offered some decent stability but the man is a has been when it comes to plotting a way out of this league, of this I am fairly certain.

The new guy however, likely to be a never been so we probably need to go back to the well

Just easy to say isn’t it? We were boring as hell under Pearson, but because he didn’t toe the party line he’s put up on a pedastool by some. I wasn’t remotely upset when he got sacked  

Ultimately no one knows where we would be if he was still here. We can only comment on the now, and the now is absolutely boringly average at absolute best.  

• Like 2

Just got home and I can only describe tonight’s offering as like watching 90 mins of the Chuckle Bros ! I.e “To me , to you, to me , to you , shall I have a shot ? No don’t bother , let’s just keep passing back and forth for an hour and a half , like the Gaffer wants us to “ Seriously can we please leave this type of football to teams like Man City who actually DO have players good enough to play this way and still actually have a shot at goal now and again 😡

• Like 3

Try as I do to not be a Manning basher over every little thing, I do find it hard to believe that anyone could make out that was decent, especially the boss.

Started off ok, possession wise, although very little goal threat, got worse and worse as the game went on.

Crap subsitutions, clueless as to how to change the pattern of the game.

Had 0-0 or a defeat written all over it, almost from the first whistle of the 2nd half.

A pretty poor night and deserved of the booing IMO.

Chris Honor is becoming a proper little club man on R. Bristol.

TBH, I thought he was talking a lots of bollocks on there tonight, which is a shame.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, STFreeloader said:

Just easy to say isn’t it? We were boring as hell under Pearson, but because he didn’t toe the party line he’s put up on a pedastool by some. I wasn’t remotely upset when he got sacked  

Ultimately no one knows where we would be if he was still here. We can only comment on the now, and the now is absolutely boringly average at absolute best.  

We were boring as hell under Pearson because our best players kept getting sold under his nose while we bought in West Brom loanees to replace them.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 3

Just now, HoldenBall said:

Doesn’t matter when it was, he was our most competent manager in years with a very good managerial record in most clubs he’s been too. We sacked him for a dull boring perfect Bristol Sport PR puppet and we’re seeing the results. 

A tremendously average record, for a tremendously average manager. of course that stat matters when it’s the view of most people on here that he was somehow one season and a couple million quid away from glory. 

He’s a clever bloke, who knew(knows) the right things to say to whip up fans and does well to position himself just right so nige always comes up smelling of roses I’m sure. He has left nearly every job acrimoniously. BCFC ain’t perfect, far from it - I agree tinnion is probably not the best man for his position and nepo appointments are rarely the right ones but the oh poor nige, nige fought for us absolutely bollocks on here is so damn nauseating and embarrassing that people believe that and that he was infallible 

he’s gone, criticise manning - but not through this god damn reverse telescope. Young, progressive managers tend to do well in this day and age, manning fits this bill, this is why he was bought in. but it is never going to be a sure thing. So what if we have to get another, that’s football. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 7

4 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

A tremendously average record, for a tremendously average manager. of course that stat matters when it’s the view of most people on here that he was somehow one season and a couple million quid away from glory. 

He’s a clever bloke, who knew(knows) the right things to say to whip up fans and does well to position himself just right so nige always comes up smelling of roses I’m sure. He has left nearly every job acrimoniously. BCFC ain’t perfect, far from it - I agree tinnion is probably not the best man for his position and nepo appointments are rarely the right ones but the oh poor nige, nige fought for us absolutely bollocks on here is so damn nauseating and embarrassing that people believe that and that he was infallible 

he’s gone, criticise manning - but not through this god damn reverse telescope. Young, progressive managers tend to do well in this day and age, manning fits this bill, this is why he was bought in. but it is never going to be a sure thing. So what if we have to get another, that’s football. 

Whatever you think of his time at city to describe someone who managed and coached for around 20 years in the top 2 divisions and the England set up as "tremendously average" is borderline ludicrous imo.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 4

11 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

With respect...  That is some of the biggest lot of bollocks that I have ever read on here.

And for an OTIB comment, that takes some doing.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 3
  • Flames 3
  • Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, STFreeloader said:

Boring under Pearson, no way. i loved how we played. we lacked squad depth and some ability, but boring, never. You have a different view, fair enough. 

• Like 8
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Tremendously average record when we would have been  relegated under any other manager.

See the Millen, Mcinnes, SOD spiral from last time.

Pearson saved us from that with ease and I have no doubts would have had us challenging both last season and ongoing especially with some money to spend.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

17 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

We were boring as hell under Pearson because our best players kept getting sold under his nose while we bought in West Brom loanees to replace them.. 

Well Semenyo was a must for FFP as was the whole 2 g2ae period from Summer 2021 to May 2023.

Post the Scott sale though, that was wrong on so many levels.

So boring under Pearson we had Martin, Semenyo and Weimann up front. So boring we had Alex Scott in our side and were giving our young academy talents a go for a change.

1 goal from open play in the last 6 games. I know THAT is boring

• Like 14
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Pearson's City had a bit of balls and determination about .

This version just looks more and more confused with every game.

What a total idiot comment to make out that Nigel was an average football man.

He dug this club and its clueless owners out of a ******* huge hole.

Show some ******* respect.

Cohesive another ego is term.

Thought we looked it under Pearson, especially post the crisis of FFP, thought we looked a long way from that tonight.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Thrilling watch, truly thrilling.

Manning said on RB that Wednesday had an extra day to recover, we looked leggy etc. But Liam look at the size of your squad? Just look at that bench tonight…

It’s difficult to buy that.

Yep. When we’ve literally got a squad of 2 players for every position, there is no excuse for players being leggy. He’s also brought in one of his favourites from Oxford and not given him a minute. Sooner he’s ***** off the better. 

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

25 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Manning fits the bill of our Bristol Sport sanitised brand, dull unimaginative lacking any sort of personality. He perfectly resembles Bristol City, the dull sanitised match day experience and where the club is going on and off the pitch. Like him or not Pearson broke that mould, he perfectly described the club, nailed how there’s too many figures at the club that’s just part of the furniture, the names are obvious. He was outspoken a little bit more gnarly and older and he didn’t fit the face for one of Bristol sports brands. This is the club we are, wasting season after season due to pure incompetence from the people that actually matter.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 4

3 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

Manning fits the bill of our Bristol Sport sanitised brand, dull unimaginative lacking any sort of personality. He perfectly resembles Bristol City, the dull sanitised match day experience and where the club is going on and off the pitch. Like him or not Pearson broke that mould, he perfectly described the club, nailed how there’s too many figures at the club that’s just part of the furniture, the names are obvious. He was outspoken a little bit more gnarly and older and he didn’t fit the face for one of Bristol sports brands. This is the club we are, wasting season after season due to pure incompetence from the people that actually matter.

Nail on the head. Matchday experience is now sanitised nonsense like a light show and doesn't excite me at all anymore.

Partly why I didn't renew. Dead atmosphere down there, club is in DESPERATE need for a change at the very top.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, BarnzFM said:

Seems like this manager has a real lack of imagination or innovation - the plan is the plan and if that doesn’t work we can’t deviate. This isn’t good game management, I’m crying out for him to try something different 

I'm crying out for him to **** off, with the people that lumbered us with him.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Lansdown with City is like the bloke saying I don't love her anymore, but I don't want anybody else to have her.

Sad, and a real problem for the rest of us.

Steve, sell up ffs... yes yes, better the devill you know etc..  but I'm willing to take that risk... as fans, we need new owners.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 3
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

One team, once. 10 years ago

One more than Manning. And more than one more promotion than Manning. 

Tell me exactly what Manning has achieved to warrant this job. Otherwise get your head out of the sand or go back to your Bristol Sport desk.

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 3
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Kernow red said:

I commented on this forum quite early in the season that we wouldn't score enough to trouble the top six Now I'm not so sure well finish much outside the bottom  six Sinclair will never be a goal scorer,he's not good enough to compensate with assists and he'd pretty poor in the air Sorry being big strong and quick doesn't make you a footballer As for Fally all I can say is he can't be showing enough in training if he can't be trusted over Wells As for Twine again at the moment not good enough SO what does that say about the summer recruitment??alot of money wasted in my opinion I wonder if Pearson is watching this unfold and thinking IF ONLY I HAD THAT BACKING ?

He'll be watching this and thinking "Thank **** I'm out of it".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Lansdown with City is like the bloke saying I don't love her anymore, but I don't want anybody else to have her.

Sad, and a real problem for the rest of us.

Steve, sell up ffs... yes yes, better the devill you know etc..  but I'm willing to take the risk... we need new owners.

Agree but fact is he never loved us, just loves himself. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Superjack said:

He used to love the Gas.

Not sure he ever loved the Gas. I'm pretty sure he isn't  a football man. Anybody into football (and I was since being a tiny kid) knows what a football person is.

Steve, during one of his rare interviews once told us to rejoice in the fact that the Bristol rugby was doing well  WTF??? 

No! we are football people, Mr L and **** the rugby.

As I have said, sell up and let us all move on.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, 2015 said:

So boring under Pearson we had Martin, Semenyo and Weimann up front. So boring we had Alex Scott in our side and were giving our young academy talents a go for a change.

Wasn’t there a 4 or 5 game stretch under Pearson where we didn’t have a shot on target ? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Not sure he ever loved the Gas. I'm pretty sure he isn't  a football man. Anybody into football (and I was since being a tiny kid) knows what a football person is.

Steve, during one of his rare interviews once told us to rejoice in the fact that the Bristol rugby was doing well  WTF??? 

No! we are football people, Mr L and **** the rugby.

As I have said, sell up and let us all move on.

Maybe not. But people forget that back in the day he had a choice. And he chose to support them. 

Frankly I wish he had stuck with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I’m finding the McNally signing really odd. He is clearly not a ball-playing defender, which is the system we are looking to play.

You would think having already worked with him, Manning would know this.

He hasn’t.  McNally left Oxford before Manning was appointed.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Dean Holden.

That sounds more like it yeah.

What NP did say early on in his reign about the confidence and the general trainwreck inherited was that fans would cheer with great vigour if we so much as won a corner.

I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist.

These two could be getting conflated.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That sounds more like it yeah.

What NP did say early on in his reign about the confidence and the general trainwreck inherited was that fans would cheer with great vigour if we so much as won a corner.

I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist.

These two could be getting conflated.

I your quote is correct, he wasn't wrong. 

We are sadly getting back there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I your quote is correct, he wasn't wrong. 

We are sadly getting back there.

Our underlying numbers are a lot better than early 2021, but the sense of cohesion, togetherness- putting it on the line that we had last year seems to be falling away a bit.

I saw it v Blackburn and Derby and at times tonight, Sheffield Wednesday put it on the line on occasion in a way that we don't- last ditch, outstretched arm of keeper to tip away.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Superjack said:

One more than Manning. And more than one more promotion than Manning. 

Tell me exactly what Manning has achieved to warrant this job. Otherwise get your head out of the sand or go back to your Bristol Sport desk.

It’s not the guaranteed recipe for success some on here say though is it? I’m fairly certain it will come as a surprise to some reading that that his record is actually that mediocre.

As to why manning was hired? He showed some promise as a young coach I guess and we hoped we got in at the ground level. It doesn’t look like it’s going to work for what we want to achieve

as someone unclouded by Pearson hysteria, my concern is that performances like the one tonight provide the illusion that it is all about to click into gear so we need to wait longer for that to happen and replacing him would be unwise and rash. I worry that could rumble on for some time, and it does feel like that tipping point into goals and wins just isn’t going to come. I do think we are just too soft 

Good one on the Bristol sport desk, very good - just how is that supposed to work by the way? Am I sleeper agent the last 9 years that works for them? Did they recruit me on here more recently? How do they pay me? 

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, 2015 said:

Was a flash in the pan the magic WSM at the end of that season, was it 21/22? I do always wonder why he didn’t continue playing that way as at that point he seemed like he was on to something. 

apart from that it was dull and turgid for the most. I don’t think anyone is saying manning is a Lion tamer 

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

you seem to think you know a lot about football, so could you please define "progressive"?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

you seem to think you know a lot about football, so could you please define "progressive"?

Well thank you very much, that’s very kind of you! 

I suppose really the word progressive in this instance could be applied not just to the football but to the whole ethos of the club and how you play, mainly a modern pressing/passing front foot game that seems to be the most successful model for getting out of the championship or winning anything of note (with some exceptions)

I am not saying these are the things we are getting with LM obviously 

Tinnion appointed LM, if anybody goes he should be first.

No point sacking LM....yet, who would Tinnion choose next?

Seems like Jonboy is keeping his head low at the moment as well.

Edited by 42nite

9 hours ago, RollsRoyce said:

Boring under Pearson, no way. i loved how we played. we lacked squad depth and some ability, but boring, never. You have a different view, fair enough. 

Are you serious? It was the most boring and unimaginative football since the McGuiness days, how anyone can say they”loved the way we played” is beyond me though I did enjoy the 3-2 victory at Blackburn!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 2015 said:

5 from the last 7 though!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

The asylum’s been let loose 

2 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Oh yeh, I’m the crazy one

That’s good to hear and admitting this is progress.
You’ve gone past the denial stage and have seemingly now embraced the acceptance stage.

Don’t be afraid when the men in white coats come knocking on your door. They will only be there to help you.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

That’s good to hear and admitting this is progress.
You’ve gone past the denial stage and have seemingly now embraced the acceptance stage.

Don’t be afraid when the men in white coats come knocking on your door. They will only be there to help you.

Ha ok, and why is this by the way? Because I don’t believe the sun shines out of Nigel Pearsons arse?

1. Leicester City – Left due to disagreements with new owners after Thai takeover.

2. Hull City – Departed amid a controversial return offer from Leicester City.

3. Leicester City – Sacked following off-field scandals involving his son and tensions with the owners.

4. Derby County – Suspended and left after a clash with owner Mel Morris over interference.

5. OH Leuven – Sacked after poor results and disputes with ownership.

6. Watford – Fired with two games left after a falling out with the Pozzo family.

7. Bristol City – Left by mutual consent following frustration over club direction and resources.

poor nige, must be so hard being right all the time eh

he was very good for us, exactly what we needed for a time but he is/was flawed and his record is nowhere near that of a warnock to justify this level of support 

Edited by Fjmcity

24 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Well thank you very much, that’s very kind of you! 

I suppose really the word progressive in this instance could be applied not just to the football but to the whole ethos of the club and how you play, mainly a modern pressing/passing front foot game that seems to be the most successful model for getting out of the championship or winning anything of note (with some exceptions)

I am not saying these are the things we are getting with LM obviously 

you said Liam fits the bill? 

But to add some context, we press significantly less and are worse at it under Manning. "Front foot" is a total contradiction of a "passing" team too, by the way. There's nothing "front foot" about rolling the ball side to side and banging crosses into nobody. 

The real problem is, a possession based, positional play tactical ethos only works when you have the best players in the division. Teams who try to copy the best teams aren't over achieving with this turgid, limited model. In fact, the only over achievers who've broken into that conversation in recent years at this level (the teams we are competing with, because we aren't competing with Leeds and their £30m players) have played a totally different style of football (Luton, Cardiff, Sheff United and Ipswich played aggressive, direct football in a variety of different shapes and ways). 

The word progressive should be banned from football discourse. It means nothing. John Still was more "progressive" than Russell Martin. 

• Like 1

if we did get a new bloke in,would the comparison change, ie, new bloke better or worse than manning instead of referencing Nige all the time?

it takes some doing to totally suppress a footy fans enthusiasm, the combination of twots at the top down to coach level have managed that in just under a year. its getting to the point where i really dont care any more as nothings going to change any time soon. 

37 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Ha ok, and why is this by the way? Because I don’t believe the sun shines out of Nigel Pearsons arse?

1. Leicester City – Left due to disagreements with new owners after Thai takeover.

2. Hull City – Departed amid a controversial return offer from Leicester City.

3. Leicester City – Sacked following off-field scandals involving his son and tensions with the owners.

4. Derby County – Suspended and left after a clash with owner Mel Morris over interference.

5. OH Leuven – Sacked after poor results and disputes with ownership.

6. Watford – Fired with two games left after a falling out with the Pozzo family.

7. Bristol City – Left by mutual consent following frustration over club direction and resources.

poor nige, must be so hard being right all the time eh

he was very good for us, exactly what we needed for a time but he is/was flawed and his record is nowhere near that of a warnock to justify this level of support 

If we're being fair though you could likely do the same thing for most managers, no? 

The number who are poached and/or leave on good terms is extremely small. That's the nature of the job and responsibilities associated.

Most end up getting fired for poor performances, or getting annoyed at the transfers/funds/owners and eventually get to the point they're fired / "leave by mutual consent".

• Like 1

And just to be clear Liam, the crowd weren’t booing the players, they were booing you, as put clearly, your football is shite - one preconceived plan every game, no plan B, and if I were to suggest you were a one trick pony, it would suggest you were capable of a trick, so no..!

• Like 4