IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

Jerseybean

54 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Ha ok, and why is this by the way? Because I don’t believe the sun shines out of Nigel Pearsons arse?

1. Leicester City – Left due to disagreements with new owners after Thai takeover.

2. Hull City – Departed amid a controversial return offer from Leicester City.

3. Leicester City – Sacked following off-field scandals involving his son and tensions with the owners.

4. Derby County – Suspended and left after a clash with owner Mel Morris over interference.

5. OH Leuven – Sacked after poor results and disputes with ownership.

6. Watford – Fired with two games left after a falling out with the Pozzo family.

7. Bristol City – Left by mutual consent following frustration over club direction and resources.

poor nige, must be so hard being right all the time eh

he was very good for us, exactly what we needed for a time but he is/was flawed and his record is nowhere near that of a warnock to justify this level of support 

For one of the ‘let’s move on from Pearson’  brigade, you sure seem obsessed with him yourself.   Or is it that Pearson discussion is allowed when it suits? 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

46 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Ha ok, and why is this by the way? Because I don’t believe the sun shines out of Nigel Pearsons arse?

1. Leicester City – Left due to disagreements with new owners after Thai takeover.

3. Leicester City – Sacked following off-field scandals involving his son and tensions with the owners.

4. Derby County – Suspended and left after a clash with owner Mel Morris over interference.

6. Watford – Fired with two games left after a falling out with the Pozzo family.

7. Bristol City – Left by mutual consent following frustration over club direction and resources.

he was very good for us, exactly what we needed for a time but he is/was flawed and his record is nowhere near that of a warnock to justify this level of support 

all fair points but why?  maybe because he says it how it is and not how owners want to hear it?.tells them their ideas wont work or how they need to change them?. he doesnt waste time trying this that or the other approach if he doesnt think it will work. thats not saying he was always right,but he was employed to do a job. and he did his best to get that job done,wherever he was.

he doesnt mince his words, having said that, if you get or do something right,  he lets you know how well you did and makes you feel great for it to the point that you want to do more to get more praise like it. this i do know first hand.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

What a powder puff team we are. Even our colossus up front Armstrong looked weak and ineffective. We know he can't score any goals but I thought at least he would compete physically. Under Manning the defence has lost its confidence and grit. I watched the game at home and yes I am an old duffer now but fell asleep in  the chair in the first half. That just about sums up what Manning is serving up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Was a flash in the pan the magic WSM at the end of that season, was it 21/22? I do always wonder why he didn’t continue playing that way as at that point he seemed like he was on to something. 

apart from that it was dull and turgid for the most. I don’t think anyone is saying manning is a Lion tamer 

Chris Martin’s legs went.  That was the main issue.  It left us exposed defensively at times.  Wells and Conway emerged with Semenyo injured, then Conway got injured, then Semenyo returned and got sold.  Several decent reasons why he had to change tack.

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Are you serious? It was the most boring and unimaginative football since the McGuiness days, how anyone can say they”loved the way we played” is beyond me though I did enjoy the 3-2 victory at Blackburn!!! 

I enjoyed it most of the time.  I have different definitions of what I find enjoyable to others.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Chris Martin’s legs went.  That was the main issue.  It left us exposed defensively at times.  Wells and Conway emerged with Semenyo injured, then Conway got injured, then Semenyo returned and got sold.  Several decent reasons why he had to change tack.

I enjoyed it most of the time.  I have different definitions of what I find enjoyable to others.

That is true, I enjoyed the first half last night, maybe others didn’t

33 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

You know what, I thought it was fine too, enjoyable that we were clearly on top rather than as a result of scintillating football. It wasn't great, or even that good, but I didn't think it was that poor either. I thought we were well in control of the game against a very poor side.

However I was also very worried (and said at the time) they'd come back out better than we would, and that's what happened. The second half undid any positivity I had about the first as we didn't use it as a platform to achieve anything.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

You know what, I thought it was fine too, enjoyable that we were clearly on top rather than as a result of scintillating football. It wasn't great, or even that good, but I didn't think it was that poor either. I thought we were well in control of the game against a very poor side.

However I was also very worried (and said at the time) they'd come back out better than we would, and that's what happened. The second half undid any positivity I had about the first as we didn't use it as a platform to achieve anything.

Agreed, felt like it had sheff wed would imminently go one nil up as soon as the restart happened because of our dominance

obviously that didn’t happen but it’s certainly the feel this manning team gives. I find it difficult to wholly criticise the manager as he can’t literally poke the ball in the back of the net, our football is bringing the chances but it seems if we don’t score one during the dominance we get nervous and shrink, hence the dull second half 

Just on Watford specifically, I think they would have been in a better place as a Club had they kept him..having said that it's what they do, could probably say it about several managers that they've sacked but Pearson or Mowbray with Parachute Payments would be a very formidable proposition. They can elevate managers of questionable ability and experience to unlikely heights.

He also has a respectable or okay PPG in the PL so going back up or yoyoing for a while again may have left them  better off.

Do you feel better now that you’ve got all that off your chest?

Take it steady or you’ll make yourself ill.

• Haha 1

Just now, TammyAB said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but Di'Shon Bernard - wow, what a defender

I've been meaning to say that too. He was really good last night. He coped with Armstrong's strength, good positioning and good on the ball.

2 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Agreed, felt like it had sheff wed would imminently go one nil up as soon as the restart happened because of our dominance

obviously that didn’t happen but it’s certainly the feel this manning team gives. I find it difficult to wholly criticise the manager as he can’t literally poke the ball in the back of the net, our football is bringing the chances but it seems if we don’t score one during the dominance we get nervous and shrink, hence the dull second half 

Sorry this is hilarious, you can't blame the manager? He had nothing to do with completely suffocating the game with his standard dire substitutions that killed the game? His team gave up in the second half? More reason to sack him as soon as possible. If the progressive young manager as you call him can't motivate this team, his team in the second half then what's the point of him being at the club? 

I don't really blame the players for giving up, he is so dire and robotic he couldn't motivate a virgin in a brothel. They say a team represents the head coach/manager and look what's happening. 

Edited by HoldenBall
  • Like 4

I missed the first half so can’t really comment with any real knowledge. Saw the highlights and we seemed to make their keeper worked harder than harder than Max. 
Second half was scrappy for me. SW came back into the game and spent some time around our box but never really tested Max. That effort from us right at the end was our last throw of the dice in that game and it was a relatively straightforward save for their keeper to make. 
I think most of us (and Manning too probably) recognise that our main issue is (not) scoring goals. We DID make their keeper work but he didn’t have to make any ‘worldies’. This has been a problem for years - it was under Pearson too. Tammy was the last ‘proper’ striker we had. Even Fammy managed 14. 
Will it all fall into place? Who knows. I hope so. There are some encouraging signs; Yu looks a handful, Dickie will be back - Earthy still has to show us what he’s got and a clean sheet will boost the morale of the defence. 
Not panicking yet.
Most of us thought top 6 was unrealistic when JL announced it as the aim - so I’m not going to cry and throw my toys out of the pram if we ultimately don’t make it. 

There’s an interesting quote on one of Cardiff’s forums about the upcoming clash which I thought sums us up perfectly from an opposition fans viewpoint:

As is always the way at Ashton Gate however, the fans are in their usual bi-polar state – one minute they are looking good and can be real contenders, then a defeat later and the manager needs sacking, the board should go and it is all Lee Johnson’s fault.’

https://not606.com/threads/season-2024-2025-match-9-bristol-city-away.414442/

They know us too well!!! 🤣

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

Sorry this is hilarious, you can't blame the manager? He had nothing to do with completely suffocating the game with his standard dire substitutions that killed the game? His team gave up in the second half? More reason to sack him as soon as possible. If the progressive young manager as you call him can't motivate this team, his team in the second half then what's the point of him being at the club? 

I don't really blame the players for giving up, he is so dire and robotic he couldn't motivate a virgin in a brothel. They say a team represents the head coach/manager and look what's happening. 

I can’t literally blame the manager for a player missing a chance they should score is what I said, the rest I said all lays on manning

I’m no manning apologist, I think it’s fast become clear he isn’t the right man. Just not ranting and raving about it

6 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I can’t literally blame the manager for a player missing a chance they should score is what I said, the rest I said all lays on manning

I’m no manning apologist, I think it’s fast become clear he isn’t the right man. Just not ranting and raving about it

That's the thing, we had no chances yesterday where we got into a position to have a clear cut chance, Mehmeti's header that was easily saved and Sykes tame effort in the last minute were our chances. If we were having 20 shots a game, missing chance after chance I'd agree with you but we're just not. 

3 hours ago, TV Tom said:

So did I, as per my h-t MDT comments.

3 hours ago, IAmNick said:

For me the first half is what I think Manning would call good - just lacked the finishing touches (really good chances and / or a goal).  He got his build-up, he got his control, he got his DMs keeping them penned in, he got his wide-men in deep areas (albeit wide).  He got set-piece opportunities too, but they weren’t maximised.  He got a solid defence that received no pressure.  He’ll have been happy with that, as was I.  If that’s what Manning-ball v2425 is about, that’s fine.

But the second half wasn’t a continuation of that, where eventually the Sheffield Wednesday dam bursts, but a very different game.  Of course we had possessions at times that resembled the first half, but nowhere near enough, and we saw more of a different approach caused by Wednesday tweaking things plus playing better.

If Manning is only gonna play one way, he needs to find a way around teams stifling it.  Dropping Williams into the back four, and splitting the CBs, etc, etc.  I guess that’s really a plan b to play like plan a!  Worrying.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So did I, as per my h-t MDT comments.

For me the first half is what I think Manning would call good - just lacked the finishing touches (really good chances and / or a goal).  He got his build-up, he got his control, he got his DMs keeping them penned in, he got his wide-men in deep areas (albeit wide).  He got set-piece opportunities too, but they weren’t maximised.  He got a solid defence that received no pressure.  He’ll have been happy with that, as was I.  If that’s what Manning-ball v2425 is about, that’s fine.

But the second half wasn’t a continuation of that, where eventually the Sheffield Wednesday dam bursts, but a very different game.  Of course we had possessions at times that resembled the first half, but nowhere near enough, and we saw more of a different approach caused by Wednesday tweaking things plus playing better.

If Manning is only gonna play one way, he needs to find a way around teams stifling it.  Dropping Williams into the back four, and splitting the CBs, etc, etc.  I guess that’s really a plan b to play like plan a!  Worrying.

It's the usual problem Dave of only performing for one half (and poor substitutions)