IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

Jerseybean

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Yesterday my city fans whatsapp group had a question “who is bothering tomorrow night?” And a total of 2 out of 8 said yes. 6 season tickets holders as well 

300 mile round trip is my excuse.

Used to do many mid weeks but getting old now and easy to view from afar. Sad but true.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Yesterday my city fans whatsapp group had a question “who is bothering tomorrow night?” And a total of 2 out of 8 said yes. 6 season tickets holders as well 

Blimey, it was bad enough that the question was even asked, let alone the outcome. Looks as though the right call has been made though.

2 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

This is the problem, one strike from them and we'll be 1 down. Got to make the pressure count.

Needs Wells or Mayulu for a bit of cleverness up front. Armstrong not getting anything out Barnard who is as strong and quick as him, so negating what he can do.

perhaps need to be a bit quicker moving the ball forward, Wed are well coached and getting back quickly, so our side and back stuff is just helping them get set.

Let's see if Manning changes anything before the 56th minute

Controlled the game without creating anything. Wednesday very very poor. 
For all written about Twine, has found zero pockets and except the cross that just missed Armstrong hasn’t done much. 
Boggles me why we work the ball wide and put lots of crossed in but don’t flood the box. 1/2 in the box and no late runs from midfield. 
Absolutely reeks of a 1-0 loss but hoping we can put them away second half

• Like 3

Again surprised by the negativity on here. Apart from the first ten minutes we’ve dominated possession and played tidy football, mixing up the short stuff with longer balls to the wings. We haven’t created enough clear cut chances but should be ahead. I’ve enjoyed it and been pleased by the standard.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very timid opening 10, where we were second to most loose balls, but since then we have played fine, are the better team, but just a bit slow at times.

Williams excellent first half, great cross for Mehmeti, who’s had a decent half too  Hirakawa likewise.

With possession in their half, might balls into Mayulu be an option at some point.

Twine a bit of a passenger.  Needs a bit of a rocket up his arse imho.

Hopefully we will make the territory pay off.

is there a refund policy with Burnley... 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very timid opening 10, where we were second to most loose balls, but since then we have played fine, are the better team, but just a bit slow at times.

Williams excellent first half, great cross for Mehmeti, who’s had a decent half too  Hirakawa likewise.

With possession in their half, might balls into Mayulu be an option at some point.

Twine a bit of a passenger.  Needs a bit of a rocket up his arse imho.

Hopefully we will make the territory pay off.

Twine spends all his time pleasing himself rather than playing for the team. Massive waste of money unless said rocket is forcefully inserted. Rather have Bird there tonight, at least he finds space for himself.

Edited by The Original OTIB
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Looking again at our fixture list, wtf? Seems like every game is Sunday or a weird time/mid week, feels like we've only played 1 3pm kick off at home so far. 🙁

I gave up my season ticket for that very reason, that and the parking situation around the ground, and those greedy Bas***ds in the field next to the cricket club are really taking the p*ss.

8 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

This is the problem, one strike from them and we'll be 1 down. Got to make the pressure count.

We sold Conway and we’ve replaced with toothless forwards. I thought we were improving our goal tally this season? It’s all pass, pass, pass but little threat. Boring. At this rate I’d take LJ back. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

Few first half thoughts….

They looked the better side in the first 10 to 15 minutes, moving the ball confidently, looking slick and positive going forward.

We grew into the game, although throughout have been more cautious with the ball, progressing slowly forward, not as directly or as effectively as SW in the opening part of the game.

Nevertheless, we created a couple of decent chances, although you would expect the saves to be made.

Armstrong has been snuffed out, AM and YH both shown glimpses, Knight and Williams working hard to control the middle of the pitch.

Haven’t seen much from Twine.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Armstrong off at half time or in the first 10 minutes of the second half unless he springs into life.

Intriguing 45 minutes at this point it feels like one goal will win it, let’s hope it comes from us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Again surprised by the negativity on here. Apart from the first ten minutes we’ve dominated possession and played tidy football, mixing up the short stuff with longer balls to the wings. We haven’t created enough clear cut chances but should be ahead. I’ve enjoyed it and been pleased by the standard.

Don't think the comments have been that negative, on the whole they've more objective about Twine and Armstrong, which are fair given the first half performance.

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Jeees it's boring down the Gate these days, crowd comatose 

Wednesday are so poor, they looked up for it and well coached for 15 mins but ultimately L1 quality. 1 shot all half, which was a conversion attempt outside the box.

Good save from their keeper about the only highlight of the half.

even away games have been really poor atmospheres this season. You could put it down to performances but I went to several away games under Pearson in the bad runs and it was still a good noise from the fans. Derby and Blackburn were really poor and Sunday didn’t sound much better on the TV.

That said I was really critical at HT Sunday but this has been better, more controlled. Only looks like one winner at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

We sold Conway and we’ve replaced with toothless forwards. I thought we were improving our goal tally this season? It’s all pass, pass, pass but little threat. Boring. At this rate I’d take LJ back. 

Over a mountain of dead bodies including mine 

3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Don't think the comments have been that negative, on the whole they've more objective about Twine and Armstrong, which are fair given the first half performance.

they are both....not very good whos plan was it to sign them ffs, a few more million down the drain

9 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It’s been ok but can be much better. I’m not sure about tidy football either. Some of the touch and passing was so off early on. 

Edited by David Brent

2 minutes ago, temp said:

they are both....not very good whos plan was it to sign them ffs, a few more million down the drain

Armstrong has got a bit of the Semenyo about him, plenty of raw talent. He'll only get better.

Twine I'm not wholly convinced about, looks like a luxury player rather than the creative centre pin he's been sold as.