IGNORED

Not far off reaching our optimal level - Liam Manning

W-S-M Seagull

I was at the game last night and have now listened to all the post match reaction from both Manning and Honor and the Exiled Robin on the radio.

I thought it was a very disappointing performance, especially in the second half. We lacked ideas and creativity and it was so dull to watch. I really struggle to summon up enthusiasm about any aspect of it and for Manning to come out and imply that we’re getting close to some kind of optimal performance is worrying. The stuff about Wednesday having another day to recover as well… get used to it Liam, that’s the Championship and the better teams find a way around those challenges, year in and year out.

For me, Liam Manning has been given everything he’s asked for this season. A number of the signings are quite clearly his players and he has had support from the club that his predecessor never got close to. Watching the performances, we are no further forward. We’ve gone down the trendy ‘on the grass head coach’ route (God I hate that phrase, among so many others he comes out with), it’s not working and it’s stupefyingly dull to watch. He’s already starting to look like a relatively expensive failed experiment to me.

I wouldn’t be pulling the trigger on himquite yet but things really have to improve to avoid this being yet another mid table (or worse) finish from one of the most boring clubs in the country. Happy Thursday to you all 😂😂

Edited by Jacki
  • Like 2

He’s obviously uncertain about or lost sight of the (stated) expectations of the club and I have every faith that the Executive Chairman or Director of Football will be rushing to urgently remind him of this vital context in order to avoid any further embarrassment or complacency.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 3

6 hours ago, bearded_red said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/its-really-unjust-liam-manning-9600851

Didn’t boo myself, not something I ever do, and infact I was far too bored to show any reaction at all, but my god this bloke is so far up his own backside.

If people aren’t happy watching your miserable football, they can let you know pal. Go back to managing MK Dons or a club with a car park for a home end if that’s an issue for you.

Read this last night, and must say I’m quite shocked at the naivety of these comments. 

Very easy, just say fans are entitled to their views, I want to win every game too bla bla bla. 

To follow that up with ‘they had more rest than us’ after they’d have travelled 4+ hours on a coach to get here, is treating the fans like morons. It’s so so boring when managers think that’s a viable excuse for a poor performance. 

Im intrigued to see what he says about Cardiff in pre-match, and if he doubles down on his “derbys don’t really matter” mantra after what we were served up last night, and also last home game against Cardiff.  I certainly won’t be expecting a “0-0 is a good result if we’re not at our best” comment again at 5pm Sunday!

• Like 3

I really think that at best we are a mid table club. I just can't see anyone at the club who I'd say is a 15 goals a season man..... So in effect where the hell are the goals to win matches coming from..... 

Twine has been a huge disappointment so far and I never got the clamour on here to sign him for the money we paid. 

Another thing this team lacks is a natural leader as I don't think JK is that person. 

Were the boos aimed at the players...or him?

He seems to think it's aimed at the players. 

I think most can see there was plenty of ' effort'. 

Perhaps it's a ' boo ' of collective disappointment at him, the people running the club, and their delusional views.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Read this last night, and must say I’m quite shocked at the naivety of these comments. 

Very easy, just say fans are entitled to their views, I want to win every game too bla bla bla. 

To follow that up with ‘they had more rest than us’ after they’d have travelled 4+ hours on a coach to get here, is treating the fans like morons. It’s so so boring when managers think that’s a viable excuse for a poor performance. 

Im intrigued to see what he says about Cardiff in pre-match, and if he doubles down on his “derbys don’t really matter” mantra after what we were served up last night, and also last home game against Cardiff.  I certainly won’t be expecting a “0-0 is a good result if we’re not at our best” comment again at 5pm Sunday!

He isn’t really as clever as he pretends to be. Fans were booing him not the players.

Just now, spudski said:

Were the boos aimed at the players...or him?

He seems to think it's aimed at the players. 

I think most can see there was plenty of ' effort'. 

Perhaps it's a ' boo ' of collective disappointment at him, the people running the club, and their delusional views.

Good man managers deflect the blame/pressure on to them and away from the players.

10 minutes ago, Hocca said:

Said we should’ve got behind the team at 0-0 and made some noise then instead of booing at full time.

Hard to make noise when there isnt much to make noise about....sadly thats been the case for years...

Can anyone actually remember the last decent atmosohere at a home match?

Liam Manning would be out of his depth in a paddling pool. Giving him 10 games or even worse until Christmas is pointless. What have we seen in his tenure thus far to give us optimism ?

Any man that can make last nights performance against woeful opposition seem positive or even acceptable surely has Trump-level delusion. Time to go !

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

The worst thing that can happen is we win our next 2 and suddenly the points accrued looks like a good start 

I wouldn’t worry yourself too much.. not going to happen.

And remember, NP got sacked for only managing to accrue 18 points from 14 games (despite no financial support and numerous injuries) last season. Surely anything less, especially considering all the support that he’s received this season, would mean the end for Liam? That means at least 8 points from the next 6 games.. needs to pick up the pace a bit.

Cardiff H - Boro A - Stoke A - Leeds H - Preston A - Sheff Utd H

Anybody see 8 points from these games? I don’t..

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Totally agree. No sense at all in making a thing out of it.

A few boo's when Twine went off, I'm not sure if they were aimed at Twine or Liam?

I think (& this isn't uncommon in footy managers) the more under pressure he is, the less rooted in reality his comments to the press are.  

1 hour ago, Hocca said:

Said we should’ve got behind the team at 0-0 and made some noise then instead of booing at full time.

To be fair the atmosphere WAS as flat as a pancake from the word go, but then AG was as empty as I've seen it for a midweek Championship game UNDER THE LIGHTS™ for a good few seasons and (possibly related) the football with its dull ponderous predictability and lack of cutting edge was hardly going to get people off their feet let alone roaring with noise. So Manning is half right, but the bit he fails deliberately to recognise is his fundamental role in generating some atmosphere.

As a case in point, the way he approaches the final 5-10 minutes of any match at Ashton Gate is as insipid and anodyne as any City manager in my lifetime and not the work of a manager who has any interest in getting the fans "up" let alone behind the team, so perhaps he should shut up about "getting behind the team" until he looks remotely like he wants to create a situation where we can do.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've just listened to his club interview and jeez thats even worse. I don't think getting a clean sheet against a team that has scored the grand total of 1 goal in 4 away games this season is as big of a flex as he or Sheridan thinks it is..

"We restricted them to very few chances" well considering they've only scored 1 goal away from home then I'd fully expect that to be the case. 

Considering the opposition I don't think you can use today's game as a barometer for improvements. 

Of course it's good we got a clean sheet but the positive focus on it I'm not so sure about. 

"Really pleased with the clean sheet, it's the first one of the season and the foundations for me of what we did last year" 

What did we do last year that was so great? 4th best defence in the league I guess? Why 8 games into the season are we having to rebuild the foundations? 

He then went on and waffled about really good opportunities and that soon they'll fall for us and then excuses about us being leggy after a really full on period. 

He mentioned how Swansea was a really physical game and then quickly got in there "which we looked good in" which just stuck out as a comment that wasn't needed in that conversation. 

I'm just now getting really tired of him always putting a positive spin on things. I suspect that's cos he knows he is under pressure so hes trying to alter public perception by being positive, which I'm not sure I like. 

Nothing wrong with saying "pleased to get the clean sheet today, there were phases of the game I was pleased with but ultimately we didn't do enough to win the game and I'm disappointed with that" 

He looks worryingly quite happy with the result and performance and that bothers me because ultimately tonight was just not good enough. We achieved the absolute bare minimum.

Once again with Liam it seems he just can't find the balance. We were better defensively (against a poor team who came for a point) but the improved defence came at the expense of attacking play which resulted in us watching a borefest. 

We were lucky indeed to face opponents as toothless as us. The only time Wednesday got the ball in a shooting position, those sitting in Row K were the usual recepient of it.

We just looked so unlikely to score though.

I must remember to watch the highlights package when it's released. I've got 15 seconds free later...

11 hours ago, petehinton said:

that & the Mehmeti header, which was brilliance from him rather than a chance, are genuinely the only things I can remember from the first half let alone any chances. Though I am in the SS, so do tend to miss some stuff when attacking the Atyeo, but I genuinely can’t remember any decent chances at all let alone ones to be frustrated over. 

Manning clearly believes that getting in a crossing position is a chance. 

even though we don't have a single player any good at getting on the end of them

and our delivery is pants.

tactical genius.