IGNORED

Cardiff City at home match thread

Jerseybean

Good comeback. Great attitude in the team. You can see exactly what Manning is trying to install here, and when it clicks there’s no stopping us. We will finish top 6. Should have won easily today. Only some poor finishing let us down. Really enjoying this sea…….

wait, what?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Bit of a subdued post match reaction. Only watched the last 30 mins, but nothing in that period has changed my mind that a new manager is needed. Looked very average.

The 10/15 minutes after half time we were Terrible and lucky not to concede more. Besides that we edged it overall. 

• Like 1

I cannot see how we transition from the back to the attack....we move at speed, have the impetus and then stop of the edge of the box allowing their defence to pour back and defend. The midfield is largely non-existent and our strikers are toothless tigers.....mcNally is an unlikely scorer today. 

Content with the draw....just need to understand how Manning is going to glue this team together. 🤔 

Not sure he actually knows what his best 11 are.

Edited by MelksRed

Unfiortunately something is not working and Manning seems unable to find solutions; some players have to do better though, especially in attack.

Disappointing result, but...still better than losing. 😅

Hope Pring is OK: will our bad luck with injuries end one day?!? 😑

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 1

If we play Manningball you must have the front players to unlock opposition defences that have all the time in the world to get their numbers and organisation in place while we fart around with the ball in our defence/midfield. We haven’t got those front players with the necessary speed of thought, craft and guile to unlock tight defences, hence it’s like banging one’s head against a brick wall. 

We do the simple things well, but simply haven’t got the ability in the final third to do the hard thing - scoring. The back four is looking increasingly dodgy too. 

Need a reset, with or without Manning. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Players will play differently under better managers, clearly.  Millions of examples 

Don’t disagree with that.  I’m talking about our “top 10 squad”. Who in our first eleven gets in the large majority of clubs in the top 10. Twine wouldn’t - and we spunked 4m on him. Williams wouldn’t. O’Leary wouldn’t. Armstrong wouldn’t.  I go on …

Reliant on crosses - for all the possession, passing, retention, etc etc etc.

The end result is the same. Playing to the byline, forcing crosses into the box, the gritty stuff.

No different to what it was under the 'unfashionable' older coach they kicked out.

We said changing philosophy would be difficult - we said it was stupid considering where we were.

Sorry. I didn't buy LJs waffle. I didnt and dont buy Tinnions bollocks. And I don't buy Mannings utter bullshit.

Latter two need sacking. Along with Twine.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

If performances carry on like this (last 2 home games against teams with only a few points between them) we will be in a relegation battle for the rest of the season. No recognised goalscorer, a winger that is totally clueless, our so say star man unable to live up to the hype that brought him here.

Our style of play is non existent,defo not the front foot promised. Goals win games but where the hell are ours going to come from?

The odd few from mf will obviously help but until we have someone who scores from a decent ratio of chances we really are going to struggle. Unless Mayulu is given a run upfront with Armstrong possibly wide left and Yu on the right the best we can hope for is a single goal win......

• Like 1

Immediate post-match thoughts, a point that we barely deserved, TBH Cardiff should have won that.

They had at least two or three great opportunities to score, one in the first half and a couple after they went ahead and really should’ve put us to bed.

Given that we were at home, they haven’t won this season and this was only their second away point of the season, they looked the more likely to win that game, IMO.

As a City fan, that was hard to watch, as usual, under Manning, our instinct was to go sideways or backwards instead of any creative/forward play.

In the end, I was pleased that we got the point, but that really is not good enough and the style of Manningball is not in the least nice to watch.

I mentioned ‘recurring themes’ recently and they were there again for me, AM = poor decision making, SA = big and strong but not likely to score ST = largely ineffective.

Hope Cam’s injury isn’t as bad as it looks.

Given our up and coming run of fixtures, Boro and Stoke away then Leeds at home I’m concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Don’t disagree with that.  I’m talking about our “top 10 squad”. Who in our first eleven gets in the large majority of clubs in the top 10. Twine wouldn’t - and we spunked 4m on him. Williams wouldn’t. O’Leary wouldn’t. Armstrong wouldn’t.  I go on …

Tanner, Vyner, Pring, Dickie, Atkinson, Bird, Knight, Yu….all wouldn’t look out of place. I think a better manager would get Twine looking top 10 as well. Muyulu too 

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

Immediate post-match thoughts, a point that we barely deserved, TBH Cardiff should have won that.

They had at least two or three great opportunities to score, one in the first half and a couple after they went ahead and really should’ve put us to bed.

Given that we were at home, they haven’t won this season and this was only their second away point of the season, they looked the more likely to win that game, IMO.

As a City fan, that was hard to watch, as usual, under Manning, our instinct was to go sideways or backwards instead of any creative/forward play.

In the end, I was pleased that we got the point, but that really is not good enough and the style of Manningball is not in the least nice to watch.

I mentioned ‘recurring themes’ recently and they were there again for me, AM = poor decision making, SA = big and strong but not likely to score ST = largely ineffective.

Given our up and coming run of fixtures, Boro and Stoke away then Leeds at home I’m concerned.

They did win in the week against Millwall didn't they ? but you are right, they were awful but looked more likely to win, long old season coming up for us I think.

8 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

TBH I'd feel concerned whoever we were due to play. We play with very little cohesion and this season our passing and movement has been abysmal.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

They have won, last week against Millwall.

Edited by pillred

34 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

We had a go, we got back in the game, and the crowd will have enjoyed that. But we are so far off the required level now, we really have to worry about a relegation battle. 

The crowd will have enjoyed that?

We “had a go” once the game looked done. Kitchen sink comes to mind, at one point Zak had the ball and the shape looked like 4-0-6 there was no midfield.

Our CB scored a header from open play, that’s not tactical surely?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Fell apart at 0-1 and really lucky not to go further behind. Two points after two home games against poor sides. Bit of a worry.

Imagine what they must think of us if you think they were poor.....

Just now, petehinton said:

Who is giving him this ‘we’ve only had 1 game where we haven’t had 15 shots’ bollucks stat from?!?

Played well for 7 and a half of the 9 games mate

Just now, SecretSam said:

I still think there's a decent team in there. But for whatever reason, Manning isn't getting the best out of them.

They appear to lack any confidence at all nearly always taking the easy option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

I still think there's a decent team in there. But for whatever reason, Manning isn't getting the best out of them.

I struggle to see how they come together if I’m honest. It seems we have a versatile squad - one that you can line up in multiple ways, but you’ll still have several players out of position. 

• Admin
1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Who is giving him this ‘we’ve only had 1 game where we haven’t had 15 shots’ bollucks stat from?!?

He doesn't watch the same games as us. I think he's watching Man City.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Slightly better than Wednesday night but still absolutely dreadful against a worse side. We are so slow and ponderous and looked anything but up for it. The header was a good goal but overall it’s nowhere near good enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Personally I'd give him time - but a break from the first team. It's a bit embarrassing. I'd love him to be the opposition striker. The very definition of 'hit and hope'.

I get that, I see potential in him if he can improve his technique when shooting. Semenyo had a god-awful touch at times for us, so much so that a lot of our fans wanted him out of the team and with the right coaching he's now a very desired Premier League player. Armstrong has a lot of qualities, he's big, strong, good at hustling players who try to run with him and he makes moves that create chances, it's just a shame how much his finishing lets him down at times.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

They appear to lack any confidence at all nearly always taking the easy option.

I think that's true. They look very...fragile as a team. And some of the selections...today was never going to be Hirakawa's game, we needed a different approach. 

And Armstrong, for all his potential, needs to be dropped. I don't mind that he missed his big chance, but he missed it so badly...

• Like 1

The worrying thing for me is how many chances we are giving away to these poor sides. God knows what the likes of Leeds and Sheff Utd are going to do to us!

To play who we have played and sit in 16th place with a -4 GD, his position should be seriously under threat now. It’s just not good enough!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Even the RB presenter is lost for words. 

They got so hammered after the Wednesday game they are a little bit more careful today. 

I echo the thoughts of the overwhelming majority that we are utter rubbish. 

Being gaslighted after every game is so annoying. But there we are it’s just where we are as a club. 

One of the big upsides for me is we have now seen two comedy misses at AG. As someone said the better teams won’t miss those!

Edited by REDOXO

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

And why is no one calling him out on it? 

We have had 15 or more in 4 games. So in the majority of our games we have had less than 15. 

We average 13 shots per game. 

16 shots today and only 2 on target is nothing to celebrate. 

He fails to mention that Cardiff had 15 shots today. 

I expect these shot stats to decrease even further against the tougher opposition to come. 

59 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Earthy playing the ball back to Max in our attacking third, champagne moment of the season

1 hour ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

When there were 2 players open to pass as well

My gut feeling is that he was playing to orders for that particular stage of the game.....

Very poor subs from Riza who just lost himself the chance of getting the job proper. Why change it when we were so on top? He just upset our formation and invited you lot back into the game. Almost akin to what the other loser bulut would do. God only knows how we didn’t win that, but that’s why we are down there, low confidence and terrible mgt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Time on the grass coming up unless he lets them go away on their holidays 

Don’t you worry, the lads will be getting some well deserved rest next week smashing golf balls around somewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Montpelierblue said:

Very poor subs from Riza who just lost himself the chance of getting the job proper. Why change it when we were so on top? He just upset our formation and invited you lot back into the game. Almost akin to what the other loser bulut would do. God only knows how we didn’t win that, but that’s why we are down there, low confidence and terrible mgt. 

To be fair a draw was the right result despite the fact you had some sitters, your substitutions did seem odd though when you were in so much control