IGNORED

Cardiff City at home match thread

Jerseybean

1 minute ago, TV Tom said:

Don't know if it's already been said but Vyner is turning into a liability, does he think he's Beckenbauer?

It feels like he represents where the team is generally, he came good under NP but these last few games seems to be slipping back to his unreliable play again. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

Very poor subs from Riza who just lost himself the chance of getting the job proper. Why change it when we were so on top? He just upset our formation and invited you lot back into the game. Almost akin to what the other loser bulut would do. God only knows how we didn’t win that, but that’s why we are down there, low confidence and terrible mgt. 

I don’t remember seeing so many mistakes, misplaced passes or weak challenges in a short period for a long time. Gifted the possession back so many times including for the goal, good finish as it was.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Don’t you worry, the lads will be getting some well deserved rest next week smashing golf balls around somewhere.

Not too much rest I hope, we don’t want a repeat of what happened under NP and Rennie now do we!

• Haha 3

How is Mehmeti getting a game? First time i saw him i thought, "well ok once he settles down a bit and gets his head up..." yeah i know hes willing but hes still ******* clueless... after 55 games for us. 

Yu? doesnt look ready for this standard to me.

All being a bit harsh on Sincs imo, if we play to his abilities he's a menace and he at least got three shots off.... unfortunately the one that mattered he , for some reason, took an extra touch and put it out for a corner!!

Cardiff should have been 3 up tbh. Good comeback but their coach changed it again and they finished the stronger and also had the best player on the pitch in Colwill.

Nothing to write home about; despite the comeback a draw is not a good result against a team who may well go down (and there’s a chance we may join them).

We’ve gone a good way backwards in the space of a year. No harm to LM but he’s a complete tenderfoot at this level and in order to even finish mid table things would have to suddenly click into place pretty spectacularly - I just don’t see where that’s coming from.

If I were the Lansdowns, I’d be taking a very good look in their high-end David Michael mirrors right about now. Just under a year on from deciding Nige could not take us to where we want to be and bringing in a rookie it looks like the gamble has not paid off. For the umpteenth time.

We have a nasty run of fixtures coming up t’other side of the international break. Those games will be the true litmus test of how far off being a competitive side City are. 

If we start losing regularly then the next sacking by the owners should be themselves. Alongside “Tins” of course (Fool’s Gold more like it).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

How is Mehmeti getting a game? First time i saw him i thought, "well ok once he settles down a bit and gets his head up..." yeah i know hes willing but hes still ******* clueless... after 55 games for us. 

All being a bit harsh on Sincs imo, if we play to his abilities he's a menace and he at least got three shots off.... unfortunately the one that mattered he , for some reason, took an extra touch and put it out for a corner!!

Cardiff should have been 3 up tbh. Good comeback but their coach changed it again and they finished the stronger and also had the best player on the pitch in Colwill.

Don’t agree with this. Other than today think Yu’s proved he’s a skilful player and a handful. Don’t know what happened in this game, but whatever his instructions were, we didn’t get anything out of him today

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

Totally agree, might as well have played with 10 men over the past two games… disappears for large parts of the game, appears and loses the ball or takes the wrong option……

• Like 1

Typical City performance. Started brightly but the injury to Pring seemed to knock us out of our stride. Yu as usual put crosses in but we never looked luck likely to get on the end of them. Neither Twine or Mehmeti are worthy of a place, there's just no end product. Earthy or Bird and Sykes to start for me. I'd love to see Armstrong and Mayulu start up top but it ain't going to happen. I just don't get the 'rationale' that plays two wingers with the 6'4"striker on the bench and then take the wingers off when he's introduced. Williams, at least 2nd half, was our best player and supplied the cross for McNallys header. 

• Like 1

Encouraging up to Prings injury. Dog shite after that! Bloody dog shite!

I think Liam summed it up best in his post match presser-

"It was a bit bitty" and "the biggest bit was it was frustrating". Wise words Liam.

• Haha 2

Well...

Easily the worst home performance of the season. 

The first 18 minutes we looked good. Then after the Pring injury, Cardiff got back in the game, it turned scrappy and open and ugly.

I'm sure the booing did a lot for the players confidence! Unsurprisingly, we came out 2nd half looking nervous and Cardiff smelt blood.

McNally and Vyner yet again looked awkward on the ball. Mehmet yet again drifted out of the game. Williams started spooning passes around. O'Leary started kicking the ball badly again. 

At least Knight led by example, McCrorie played like it was a Derby and got stuck in. 

Williams and McNally needed to atone for their performances, and fortunately they did.

Two wins in 9 is just not good enough. Every game now carries increasing pressure to win.

We're a difficult team to rationalise. On there is the worrying weakness of losing our way in games. An yet we're also very good at coming back from going behind, which shows character.

I can't help but always come back to our inability to finish chances. 16 shots in the game is impressive. But only hitting the target twice is a big problem.

Manning... well I said I'd be accepting of 14 points from 10 games, so he's got to engineer a win at Boro to save face.

Just returned from the game. Deep down it feels fortunate to have taken a point. Yes we were on top but they went fully defensive when they went 1-0 up. Really, they should have gone 2-0 up after their first, during our spell of total implosion. Awful from Anis and Vyner had one of those games - terrible passing and awareness. 

We had a lot of the ball but do so little with it. Fullbacks not aggressive enough (however I thought Ross did pretty well coming on after an injury and playing as a left back), no goal threat from midfield. Strikers isolated. Twine got into good positions but did very little with the ball. Showed a lack of courage to take long shots, almost trying to pass it in, or just not shoot at all!

Max poor distribution. Williams played pretty well, with a fantastic cross and assist. Yu was pretty much nullified. 

Hope Pring is ok. Looked to be in a lot of discomfort, but I was watching Twine rolling about and perhaps we should have kicked it out and avoided the play leading to Pring's injury. Medical team slow af to tend to Pring and ref was also awful that game. 

Overall, a lot of negatives and frustration. Rather worried about the next set of games, as top oppositions will break us down. I have several other matters to voice but I think most has been said in the other threads, especially with a lot of hope/excitement being striped away. Dispiriting.

1 hour ago, JP Hampton said:

Don’t agree with this. Other than today think Yu’s proved he’s a skilful player and a handful. Don’t know what happened in this game, but whatever his instructions were, we didn’t get anything out of him today

I am worried that he may fall into the category of 'really good first game, then our coaches get to him, then he regresses'. Early days though and I want to be proven wrong 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gakoe said:

Encouraging up to Prings injury. Dog shite after that! Bloody dog shite!

I think Liam summed it up best in his post match presser-

"It was a bit bitty" and "the biggest bit was it was frustrating". Wise words Liam.

Bitty_Little_Britain.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Montpelierblue said:

Very poor subs from Riza who just lost himself the chance of getting the job proper. Why change it when we were so on top? He just upset our formation and invited you lot back into the game. Almost akin to what the other loser bulut would do. God only knows how we didn’t win that, but that’s why we are down there, low confidence and terrible mgt. 

quick question, do your supporters always behave in the manner they did today, when a player is clearly being treated for an obviously serious injury ?

pretty poor in my opinion 

Today’s performance was typical of City currently - slow, predictable, losing possession unnecessarily, no cutting edge. That spell after half time was abysmal. And after we managed to claw our way to an equaliser, we failed to put Cardiff on the ropes and, if anything, they looked more likely to snatch a winner. Depressing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Well...

Easily the worst home performance of the season. 

The first 18 minutes we looked good. Then after the Pring injury, Cardiff got back in the game, it turned scrappy and open and ugly.

I'm sure the booing did a lot for the players confidence! Unsurprisingly, we came out 2nd half looking nervous and Cardiff smelt blood.

McNally and Vyner yet again looked awkward on the ball. Mehmet yet again drifted out of the game. Williams started spooning passes around. O'Leary started kicking the ball badly again. 

At least Knight led by example, McCrorie played like it was a Derby and got stuck in. 

Williams and McNally needed to atone for their performances, and fortunately they did.

Two wins in 9 is just not good enough. Every game now carries increasing pressure to win.

We're a difficult team to rationalise. On there is the worrying weakness of losing our way in games. An yet we're also very good at coming back from going behind, which shows character.

I can't help but always come back to our inability to finish chances. 16 shots in the game is impressive. But only hitting the target twice is a big problem.

Manning... well I said I'd be accepting of 14 points from 10 games, so he's got to engineer a win at Boro to save face.

Can you remind me of the scale of your swingometer…I guess some points hauls are now not achievable?

+++++

I normally read the MDT all the way through, but I couldn’t today.

Edited by Davefevs

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Can you remind me of the scale of your swingometer…I guess some points hauls are now not achievable?

+++++

I normally read the MDT all the way through, but I couldn’t today.

Off the top of my head I think I said that 12 points would be disappointing, albeit we would be unbeaten in 5.

Any less than that is a very poor haul for 10 games.

• Thanks 2

Just got back as I went straight out , saw Frank Skinner which at least cheered me up.

Manning responded to a team that didn't work and performance that lacked everything we looked for, by playing the same team and formation . 
Then the subs ? 
Twine was just not in the game at all , but stays on. Armstrong wasn't great after Pring went off, but that was down to service. Before that the CB looked terrified every time he got the ball , he goes off. 
Manning's idea of shaking things up , play the same system and shape just juggle the players. 
Mayulu is struggling with the physical side , but he could score goals just not with the service he's been getting . Those long balls that Armstrong makes into passes don't work to Fally. Bizarrely he got the free kick for being grabbed that Armstrong hadn't managed in an hour , even when thrown to the floor. But why not play them both ??? Cardiff were playing on the break and due to our width , playing a back 6. It was the ideal time to stick the 2 big men up top. We were getting good wide possession and some quality crosses in.

Positives ? Nothing from the Manager , but McCrorie , Williams ,Tanner , Knight and Sykes did well. Great header from McNally but some of the passing from the back was shocking . 

I really can't see where the next win is coming from. 

• Like 5

On 06/10/2024 at 18:36, JP Hampton said:

fair enough,  it's also given Sykes a wake up as well.  I'd be happy with him starting. 

• Like 1