IGNORED

Cardiff City at home match thread

Jerseybean

8 minutes ago, temp said:

Our most exp championship striker will no doubt start on the bench, while no great fan of Wells he is the best we got atm......which in itself says it all really.

Cardiff will concentrate on our widemen which will be our strongest threat.

Seen not a lot from our millions spent yet, a win is a must, much tougher games coming up.

Could get bullied out of this, we will see.

Draw fav imo but hoping we sneak it 1-0

Wells was awful against Wednesday's big centre halfs. No way he can start after that, I would like to see much more of Fally

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RedJim said:

We've got a crap record against Cardiff, they'll stick 11 behind the ball, we'll huff and puff and probably concede from a set piece in the second half.

Don't have any faith in Manning to get us up for a derby at home, even though we really need to win this one. 0-1.

Shouldn’t need a manager to get you up for a Derby by I get what your saying Jim 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Less than what Sheffield Wednesday bought on a Wednesday night. Poor

Fake news, Wednesday bought just over 2k

Well they have had a terrible start to the season so can’t really blame them. Not sure we would take much more.

27 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Wells was awful against Wednesday's big centre halfs. No way he can start after that, I would like to see much more of Fally

Poor against Wednesday, good against Oxford.

Can’t see it happening but I would start Mayulu as well (still expect it to be Armstrong).

39 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

what the hell has Fally done wrong? - arguably our best finisher

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

Whatever the result, I look forward to the OTT post mortem on here tino

I'll be at least 10 Estrellas deep by then 

Presumably, you are in Spain.

Whereabouts?

I am currently in Cadiz, but back up to Sevilla again tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whereabouts?

So, you're not PHILINFRANCE at all then.  Are you in disguise?

• Haha 8

50 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Happy derby day, one and all 

Never felt so flat about playing them. Home and away v them should be the highlight of the calendar, but not today.  Reckon it’ll be the lowest actual attendance vs them for a good good while today.  

Well, for me this is a must win. They're currently dog 5hit and their fans know it. If we are to make ANY progress any time soon this season under the current regime, it has to start today.

A win today buys LM a little time and reduces the mounting dissent and pressure on him.

We have to take the game to them early using quick front foot football. If we sit back and are languid they will sense an opportunity. An early goal will make all of the difference.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Montpelierblue said:

Two weeks ago we had no chance, now bulut has gone there is some hope. Daland needs to play, if he isn’t we could be in trouble. Not seen us with such a composed confident CB for years. Bulut never played the right players, Robertson (who was on loan at Pompey all last season) we signed from Man City, colwil and Tanner all need to play, they like to attack and bulut never played them together. Hence we always lost. A draw would be decent enough. 

No disrespect to you but we couldn’t give a flying **** about your lot . We got plenty of our own problems thanks. I would never want us to lose , but beating you will only paper over the cracks imo 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Poor against Wednesday, good against Oxford.

Can’t see it happening but I would start Mayulu as well (still expect it to be Armstrong).

2 hours ago, Red Cloud said:

what the hell has Fally done wrong? - arguably our best finisher

Wells would look 'awful' if he was having balls played high wouldn't he? Christ, the issue was that it was Pring's only out ball forward. Why was that?

As for Fally, I don't know that anyone really knows how good he is or can be as he's had very limited time on the pitch. Yes, he looks like a great finisher on what we've seen, but he's not fast though, so it would help if we stopped playing balls for him to speed onto like he was sincs.

If Fally doesn't start today (and he's injury free), then I would say that there is some internal issue.

Would love to see the manchild Twine replaced early by Earthy if he isn't performing (I've no expectation of him starting ahead of Twine.)

Anyhow, I'm fired up for a win. Are the team?

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whereabouts?

No, Spanish bar from 12

They have the proper version on draught 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

No……only sold 2,400 (of their 3,300 allocation) apparently

Should still be just about 24,000 today though as OS shows circa 1500 home tickets still available mostly in the top tier . 

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

No, Spanish bar from 12

They have the proper version on draught 

They have Estrilla on draught here, of course, but I prefer Amstel - when I can find it.

I should add that the Spanish- brewed Amstel is totally different, and a marked improvement on the Amstel sold elsewhere in Europe.

• Like 3

Today does feel kind of pivotal in LM's time here.

Last seasons defeat to them was one of the worst displays for a long time - we can't have that again.

The last international break must have hurt, after a heavy defeat - although the response was non-existent!

Since then we have been a little more settled, if unspectacular.

A good win today & maybe we can hope that it's some genuine progress.

A miserable defeat today & I'll be asking serious questions about where we are heading. 

COYR's!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

If Fally doesn't start today (and he's injury free), then I would say that there is some internal issue.

You may be reading too much into things , though I have no inside knowledge.

I thought Armstrong has suited us, his pace gives us an out ball, so understand sticking with him. Plus the last Mayulu cameo he was quite poor. 
Add that these games can be physical I think Armstrong is nailed on to start.
I would like to see them together at some stage , might be an interesting partnership. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Wells would look 'awful' if he was having balls played high wouldn't he? Christ, the issue was that it was Pring's only out ball forward. Why was that?

As for Fally, I don't know that anyone really knows how good he is or can be as he's had very limited time on the pitch. Yes, he looks like a great finisher on what we've seen, but he's not fast though, so it would help if we stopped playing balls for him to speed onto like he was sincs.

Would love to see the manchild Twine replaced early by Earthy if he isn't performing (I've no expectation of him starting ahead of Twine.)

That’s fair, I was really making the point that I understood why Manning had turned to him.

It isn’t necessarily the case that there is anything sinister in Mayulu not being involved, he arrived with minimal first team experience in Austria (just 14 starts) & we appear to be slightly over cautious with him.

He started very well, has had at least one poor performance since but for me he’s a far more likely scorer than Armstrong & in a side bereft of goals, that’s why I’d start him (don’t expect it to happen, though).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jeez said:

What an opportunity today against a mostly out of form Cardiff.

A win today fires us up 7 places in the league - the coaching team better have the players fired up for this.

A spirited performance with an out & out desire to win this match is expected. Anything less is not acceptable.

I believe in the players, less confident in the tactics.

Could be a turning point today in either direction.

My thoughts exactly!

1 hour ago, Swede said:

They're currently dog 5hit and their fans know it. 

Not sure how it will go today as on paper we should win, but I reckon this will be a much stiffer test at home than either Oxford or Sheff Weds. Hope I’m wrong but I’m going for an away win, 0-2.

We are 17th in the table and 3 pounts off the telegation spots.  Win today and we go 10th and 3 points from top six. What a difference a game can make.

I just hope our forwards have been getting in some shooting practice and we go with an attacking midfield.

Anyone know how many tickets have been sold?

Edited by wendyredredrobin

There Will be some serious heat at the up coming fans forum if we lose today I'd imagine all of jon Brian and Liam Will seriously want to win today as that could dictate the questions at the forum next week.

38 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Today does feel kind of pivotal in LM's time here.

Last seasons defeat to them was one of the worst displays for a long time - we can't have that again.

The last international break must have hurt, after a heavy defeat - although the response was non-existent!

Since then we have been a little more settled, if unspectacular.

A good win today & maybe we can hope that it's some genuine progress.

A miserable defeat today & I'll be asking serious questions about where we are heading. 

COYR's!

It does, doesn’t it…but it shouldn’t.  At the mo’ one game doesn’t really change the trend of being mid-table this season. It’s probably what we follow up today with, ie:

• win today, can we follow that up with upward momentum or was it just a one-off win against bottom of the league 
  • lose today, is it gonna be continued with 2 tough away games and a home to Leeds

There will be a lot of reaction to today’s result, and OTIB is the place to have that imho, but it won’t decide it either way.  I think we should talk post match about the game, singular, not what it means overall….but I suspect I will get carried away a bit too.

• Like 1

today is mannings last game of the ten i was using,(included coventry cup game)  my mind is pretty much made up already but he does have a lifeline to buy a bit more time today, my only problem is i do genuinely feel bt needs to be binned out first, or trotted back down the lane to the academy where he was undoubtedly doing good things. im dreading what clown he finds next time, if manning is an improvement on the last coaches,how bad will an improvement on manning be, in brians eyes that is, not ours.  

21 hours ago, Graham Male said:

Liam Manning says we are fired up.Really.??????

I suspect his version of "fired up"  is very different to mine.

A bit like comparing Phall to Korma.

Neveretheless, it should be spicy.

I hope what he claims is very evident today, but not at the expense of us getting a red card (Williams take note).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Less than what Sheffield Wednesday bought on a Wednesday night. Poor

Fake news, Wednesday bought just over 2k

Wednesday brought such a lot as it helped with getting priority for their upcoming derby match. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Nest Egg said:

Really need to win this one. They are the worst they have been in a long time and we need to get some momentum going if we are going to be anything other than lower mid table by the end of the season.

I hate to break it to you but we’ll be bottom half whether we win today or not 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

That’s fair, I was really making the point that I understood why Manning had turned to him.

It isn’t necessarily the case that there is anything sinister in Mayulu not being involved, he arrived with minimal first team experience in Austria (just 14 starts) & we appear to be slightly over cautious with him.

He started very well, has had at least one poor performance since but for me he’s a far more likely scorer than Armstrong & in a side bereft of goals, that’s why I’d start him (don’t expect it to happen, though).

I think most of us might want to start him. But it's a bit of a quandary when you've signed 2x strikers with 'potential' with your other options being non-prolific and/or out of favour. It seems to be too easy to keep us at bay when we have the ball, part of that may be due to LM's other choices, but we'll see how it pans out today. Whatever happens, we need a team performance.

A great opportunity to create some confidence against the bottom side at home. Being Cardiff, it should provide some energy and passion, though it is not what it was in the past. I hope we can play better for longer periods in this game, finish off Cardiff and assist them in going to L1. Going for a 2-1 win. COYR. 

Just now, RollsRoyce said:

A great opportunity to create some confidence against the bottom side at home. Being Cardiff, it should provide some energy and passion, though it is not what it was in the past. I hope we can play better for longer periods in this game, finish off Cardiff and assist them in going to L1. Going for a 2-1 win. COYR. 

if you look at cardiffs first 8 against our first 8, think about how we would have faired, i dont think they are much worse if anything than us. same with qpr and portsmouth, if we had played their matches,i dont think we would have 10 points the way we are going at the moment

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Wells has scored 88 championship goals, he was on for half an hour; the striker/player he replaced scored 4 goals in 65 games for QPR, played for an hour; conclusion Wells is more exp and is more likely to score.

As for Fally should be playing more yes, but again scored 6 in 28 in Bundesliga seemingly not the managers fav at the mo, madness imo as he cost millions and is here for 4yrs, play him and Wells.

Niether likely to start, will know in a few mins, I know Lansdowns wont take risks seems the manager lacks the bottle to go for it as well

Edited by temp

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

if you look at cardiffs first 8 against our first 8, think about how we would have faired, i dont think they are much worse if anything than us. same with qpr and portsmouth, if we had played their matches,i dont think we would have 10 points the way we are going at the moment

Oh no ! I have not seen anything of Cardiff this year, so I am not sure what to expect. I just cannot stand them, and I have to have blind faith that we will beat them. An early goal may help us (I mean for us not them....) 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

You may be reading too much into things , though I have no inside knowledge.

I thought Armstrong has suited us, his pace gives us an out ball, so understand sticking with him. Plus the last Mayulu cameo he was quite poor. 
Add that these games can be physical I think Armstrong is nailed on to start.
I would like to see them together at some stage , might be an interesting partnership. 

I like him. He tries hard. Even on Weds I appreciated how he bent his runs nicely to stay onside for passes. But I've got reducing confidence in his ability to convert. Fally is sort of the opposite type of player. Always ready to shoot, and pretty good at it. It might be useful to start him. Play the ball to his feet, back to goal. Then a give and go. Return ball. Bang. 1-0. I'm getting carried away ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I’m fired up for listening to the commentary 😑

🤜🤜🤜
Sesame Street Idk GIF

French Smoking GIF

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Haha 3

Tbf the only change I potentially saw Liam making (and noting I’d have done something different to Liam) was possibly Sykes for Mehmeti. The rest was pretty forseeable.

And on the plus side, the first half, with one glaring exception, wasn’t bad in midweek.

However, if this does not go to plan today I don’t expect to hear anything about us being “leggy” or Cardiff having had an extra days rest. That horse has now bolted with an unchanged team.

• Like 3