IGNORED

Drop the Prima Donna

Dr Balls

I know Liam loves Scott Twine but at the moment he is a complete waste of £3+ million. Did absolutely nothing today and deserved to be subbed far earlier than he was. Within 5 minutes of coming on Bird showed what we were missing in the no.10 role. And Earthy offered more out on the left when he came on. Twine was a passenger for much of the game.

If Manning had any guts he would drop both Twine and Mehmeti from  by the starting line up, but we all know it isn’t going to happen. Just more of the same dross-ball, playing along the back, hoping the opposition become as soporific as the City fans…

• Like 18

I get he’s not been good enough. We paid over the odds too. A crazy amount considering what Pearson was given to spend. 

That said, laid another one on a plate for Armstrong today that he failed to even hit the target with. I can remember atleast 5 off the top of my head he’s put through that haven’t been finished. Must be so frustrating.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

The most irritating player we’ve ever had?

Stand up, shut up, and get on with the game. 

Sums up what’s happened to this club over the last year that we’ve lost proper pros like James, King and Weimann and now choose to indulge a whining **** like Twine.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 6
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Is he, pound for pound, our worst ever signing?  And we got to see him before we signed. Never understood the fan love in 

Careful.. you almost overreacted!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

He’s the man Liam wanted so it’s completely fair to judge him on Twine. I expect if questioned on the subject, we’d be told he’s performing well. 

Which just goes to show how poor a judge of a player’s contribution Manning is. Scott Whine is not a team player, and the team rarely benefits when he plays. Just like Manning, he’s only out for No.1.

1 minute ago, Street red said:

People saying today Scott twine is on £20k a week is that right? 

If so, he is currently stealing a living!

There are evident issues with how we are playing at the moment, and a good part of that dysfunction can be attributed to how the manager is setting us up. Not sure I'm keen on scapegoating a particular player for our misfortune, and don't think he's performing significantly worse than others at the moment

• Like 7

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

I think a lot of the underperforming players will have a total transformation under a decent new coach. 

I'm not sure they would, that's why they were in our price range and available 

Everyone else saw what they were 

1 minute ago, EmersonsKev said:

Eye spy with my little eye something beginning with............... Whipping Boy! 

Well if the “Star Player” we have supposedly been pursuing all summer, finally joins and then does next to nothing of note, then it seems perfectly within reason to question his automatic starting place. Or do you keep picking him on the basis that you hope he might eventually hit some form, even while the team struggles because he’s basically a passenger on the pitch?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, underhanded said:

There are evident issues with how we are playing at the moment, and a good part of that dysfunction can be attributed to how the manager is setting us up. Not sure I'm keen on scapegoating a particular player for our misfortune, and don't think he's performing significantly worse than others at the moment

Absolutely 💯% spot on, this squad is capable of soooo much better

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

Well if the “Star Player” we have supposedly been pursuing all summer, finally joins and then does next to nothing of note, then it seems perfectly within reason to question his automatic starting place. Or do you keep picking him on the basis that you hope he might eventually hit some form, even while the team struggles because he’s basically a passenger on the pitch?

Well this stay must have been created by Liam.

Screenshot_20241006_185004_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

Eye spy with my little eye something beginning with............... Whipping Boy! 

If he's that it's because Manning spent months setting him up as the key player, the difference maker worth spending big money on. Despite there being no evidence of him being anything of the sort.

I'm afraid there is always a down side to being teacher's pet.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

Would like to know how those stats are collated. The killer is that it only equates to 1 assist, compared to far higher for the other players listed. Could be a reflection of our finishing or that they are counting corners and free kicks, as well as open play.

Twine did nothing much in Wednesday, when 34 year old Barry Bannan was clearly the best player on the pitch and so far more with the ball than Twine. While today is contribution was similarly minimal, other than a lot of moaning at the referee, who to be fair was Bobby Marley being even more useless than usual.

24 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

But apparently one of the leaders in chances create in the championship…

According to both Fotmob (above) and Sky Sports (here https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13227643/scott-twine-exclusive-bristol-city-midfielder-on-liam-manning-reunion-wasteful-finishing-and-moving-up-the-championship)

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm not sure they would, that's why they were in our price range and available 

Everyone else saw what they were 

I think you’ll be surprised Phantom. I heard a few weeks back some players were downing tools. I was talking about the likes of Pring, Knight and in particular Sykes (who looked great under NP). A decent coach would motivate and get a response from the likes of these guys. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

Not really, he’s the victim of the manager making him undroppable regardless of how ineffective he is. Unless the team is playing well then then he’s a luxury that adds nothing to a team that’s struggling, he’s all about chucking himself on the floor and waving arms around.

• Like 1

After the success of the Zak Onyego Vyner range, City announce the Whiney Twiney plasticine range. Legs are malleable to be put in a sitting down position for added authenticity.

image.jpeg.3497639a628df748ecaaaf60bad08720.jpeg

• Haha 9
  • Flames 1

Players who dive and moan tend to get this treatment. Bruno F is one example despite being by far and away the best player in his team. He's not been amazing, but he's far better than a lot of players out there who probably should get their own thread. Also, his chance creation by FotMob is not a "useless statistic" you can go view every single one of those chances created very easily to make your mind up on the quality of them.

Part of this I'm sure is connected to criticism of Manning, as those two go hand in hand, but if we change managers he'll likely still be a pivotal part of our team.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Is he, pound for pound, our worst ever signing?  And we got to see him before we signed. Never understood the fan love in 

You’ve not been watching the City for that long have you😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I thought Twine was okay / decent enough today first half.  Knight got it into his feet a few time first half and I think he played Mehmeti in (and the Armstrong chance).

So, when we are in control he’s ok.

When we are struggling, like first 15 mins of second half, he goes from Luxury player to Luxury Gap (Heaven 17 fans).  He needs to make more of our spells in control.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

That award goes to Kasey Palmer IMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tin said:

That award goes to Kasey Palmer IMO

Twine won't be far behind if he carries on like this...

He was a marquee signing in the no.10 position, supposed to lay on chances for Wells, Mayulu and Armstrong. 

The latter two are developing players that need Twine's experience to help them progress, and he has been very disappointing, to say the least. 

If Manning does get sacked then I think that will owe a lot to Twine's under performance. 

Burnley clearly saw us coming...

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Twine won't be far behind if he carries on like this...

He was a marquee signing in the no.10 position, supposed to lay on chances for Wells, Mayulu and Armstrong. 

The latter two are developing players that need Twine's experience to help them progress, and he has been very disappointing, to say the least. 

If Manning does get sacked then I think that will owe a lot to Twine's under performance. 

Maybe we could err on the side of optimism and Twine is playing Manning out of a job 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And yet people in our hierarchy were openly telling some fans what a mess they were this summer.

I’ve go no idea of the McNally fee, but they got rid of two players that they know aren’t PL capable.  Both are Champ level.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

I know Liam loves Scott Twine but at the moment he is a complete waste of £3+ million. Did absolutely nothing today and deserved to be subbed far earlier than he was. Within 5 minutes of coming on Bird showed what we were missing in the no.10 role. And Earthy offered more out on the left when he came on. Twine was a passenger for much of the game.

If Manning had any guts he would drop both Twine and Mehmeti from  by the starting line up, but we all know it isn’t going to happen. Just more of the same dross-ball, playing along the back, hoping the opposition become as soporific as the City fans…

He’s a League One player, with a mid table League One manager and a failed League One Tech Director who nearly took us to League 2. All in all we are a League One club. We are punching in this league and we cannot compete. Sad to say it’s the truth unless major changes occur. The club is stale and needs a lot of work. Earthy needs to start, a level above twine. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

And yet people in our hierarchy were openly telling some fans what a mess they were this summer.

I’ve go no idea of the McNally fee, but they got rid of two players that they know aren’t PL capable.  Both are Champ level.

Lower champ level. I know he scored today but McNally is nowhere near good enough. All over the place. Don’t rate him at all. Dickie back asap please. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Twine was the one I was always unsure of, Dave... I don't understand how you can accept an average loan spell, then pay millions. It is Palmer all over again... 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Lower champ level. I know he scored today but McNally is nowhere near good enough. All over the place. Don’t rate him at all. Dickie back asap please. 

Dickie late October, early November maybe? They said 2 months.

Just goes to show that fees don't always equate to quality- what a bargain and composed defender Dickie is, our leader..probably raises the level of Vyner etc.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

44 minutes ago, Harry said:

Twine is being overly criticised in my view. 
Again, he puts a pinpoint through ball for Armstrong today (this has happened frequently this season, not just to Armstrong but others too). 

Twine could very easily have 5 assists this season. It’s not exaggerating to say that. He’s laid on some good chances. 

Can he do more? Absolutely. Is he under more pressure to perform because of the price tag and the fanfare? Absolutely. 
Has he created enough chances so far this season to warrant a few assists? Absolutely. 

He’s not the worst performing player this season - by a bloody long way. 

Well said @Harry 👍

Am I the only one who finds him completely unlikeable?

Dives constantly, has a tantrum anytime someone tackles him, so lightweight, went nuts at Vyner for giving a chance up despite being heavily culpable for their goal about 2 minutes before.

Think it’s telling that only 1 club was interested in him over the summer, sadly we were that stupid side, happy to fork out over £3m

Sadly for me he’s at O’Dowda, when he was here, levels of dislike. Let’s hope his performances improve but I think this has all the hallmarks of a real bad transfer!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hazelboy said:

Am I the only one who finds him completely unlikeable?

Nope!! Been grinding my gears for a few weeks now.   One of those players that I used to hate playing with.   Think they’re better than everyone else (he’s not - far from it) and as a result think that gives them a right to bitch and moan at everyone and everything.  He’s weak as piss as well.  But if he put as much effort into the betterment of the team as he does into his various antics we’d be a lot better off.  

• Like 1

I'm happy to accept that we may have overpaid for Twine, but that's certainly not his fault, and assuming everyone accepts he's not worth 3m it's a little unfair for people to criticise him for not being quite as good as Manning thought he would be. 

I've been happy with his performances, not standout, but he does most things well and he doesn't lack for effort.

What I'm unhappy with is the Prima Donna label. That's unnecessary and a cheap throwaway remark.  I've seen nothing to justify this .

2 minutes ago, reddoc said:

I'm happy to accept that we may have overpaid for Twine, but that's certainly not his fault, and assuming everyone accepts he's not worth 3m it's a little unfair for people to criticise him for not being quite as good as Manning thought he would be. 

I've been happy with his performances, not standout, but he does most things well and he doesn't lack for effort.

What I'm unhappy with is the Prima Donna label. That's unnecessary and a cheap throwaway remark.  I've seen nothing to justify this .

The problem is he’s being given a role in the team that we should be expecting to be more than just “happy”.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

Well said @Harry 👍

He  has everything we need apart from the people around him. He will create and score In a good side  .there are no players going past him or infront of him with one upfront in our side he looks a luxury but in a front foot high press side with options in front of him  he would be a very good player imo.its not his fault its manning set up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, red colin said:

He  has everything we need apart from the people around him. He will create and score In a good side  .there are no players going past him or infront of him with one upfront in our side he looks a luxury but in a front foot high press side with options in front of him  he would be a very good player imo.its not his fault its manning set up.

Oh come on - he's a part of the team, and has to be imposing himself on games, especially in his position. He has to take some responsibility for his performances, and the performances of those around him. It's not good enough to say "In a good team X" or "With Y he'd shine". That goes for pretty much all players if they had the ideal set of people around them.

I do agree though that it's not his fault how Manning sets the team up - but that begs the question, either why did we chase and sign him if we're not set up to make the most of him, or why are we playing him?

We're not a "front foot high press side" and that surely can't be a surprise to anyone, including Scott Twine and Liam Manning at this point. We're a slow, careful, caution first and recycle possession side.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The problem is he’s being given a role in the team that we should be expecting to be more than just “happy”.

Totally accept that Dave but it's not my point. With regards Twine I think technically he's a very good player , clearly intelligent, but he needs someone to link up with and that's not happening.  However my issue is over the name calling. It's unjustified and unfair. 

1 hour ago, reddoc said:

Totally accept that Dave but it's not my point. With regards Twine I think technically he's a very good player , clearly intelligent, but he needs someone to link up with and that's not happening.  However my issue is over the name calling. It's unjustified and unfair. 

That’s fair, but then that comes back to recruitment doesn’t it.  Should've signed that dick, Connolly!  He has movement I really rate (Hogan in his prime).

1 hour ago, reddoc said:

Sorry but the diving and the rolling around, the constant griping to the referee, haranguing team mates when he hasn’t done what he should have defensively, including going AWOL when Cardiff were giving it a go early in the second half, all smacks of a player who thinks he is so much better than everyone else in the team. Hence the term I used and from the number of responses, I would assume quite a few others see it the same way.

The old adage that “there is no I in team” still stands. Twine may be the best player in the squad creatively but it’s just not working at the moment, as the lack of goals reflects. I actually think he would work better with Mayulu as a lone forward in front of him than Armstrong, certainly in terms of the finishing. The way we play with Armstrong also negates having Twine at 10 anyway as it’s long balls over the top for Sinclair to chase after, 1 on 1 with a defender.

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Twine is being overly criticised in my view. 
Again, he puts a pinpoint through ball for Armstrong today (this has happened frequently this season, not just to Armstrong but others too). 

Twine could very easily have 5 assists this season. It’s not exaggerating to say that. He’s laid on some good chances. 

Can he do more? Absolutely. Is he under more pressure to perform because of the price tag and the fanfare? Absolutely. 
Has he created enough chances so far this season to warrant a few assists? Absolutely. 

He’s not the worst performing player this season - by a bloody long way. 

Bang on Harry.

15 hours ago, EmersonsKev said:

8 big chances created, 21 chances total and 1.9 xA from those. So averaging less than 0.1 xA per chance. in other words, shite chances. 

Big chances is a nonsense stat. 

Several occasions in the first half yesterday were he was between the lines of cardiffs defence and midfield, but our midfielders just ignore it.

The amount of times our midfielders can turn and go forward, but instead turn the opposite way and slow it down is starting to infuriate me. Manning is doing Twine no favours with his tactics 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

8 big chances created, 21 chances total and 1.9 xA from those. So averaging less than 0.1 xA per chance. in other words, shite chances. 

Big chances is a nonsense stat. 

Trust your eyes!! I don’t need to see a single stat to know Twine has clearly laid on some good chances so far this season which should have ended up as goals and haven’t.

Ok, but my eyes also tell me that he's given the ball away more than anyone, he's dived more than anyone, he's bottled 50:50 challenges and been done defensively more than anyone and that he's turned down numerous opportunities to shoot on the edge of the box by either being too "clever" or on his heels.

We are carrying a bloke who isn't good enough to carry and in a system designed to allow him to "do what I want" that has destroyed our defensive stability and overall team structure. 

• Like 3

What did people expect? £3m for a known quantity attacker at this level will get you a guy who is ok at this level, he isn’t “marquee” for the championship. He is creating chances at the rate I would expect him to, and might nick 10 goals total if he has purple spell. He is exactly what I thought he would be, and I believe if he had a better “9” with him he would improve. Shouldn’t be a whipping boy - far from our biggest issue. 

• Like 2