IGNORED

Max

SecretSam

Atrocious with the ball at his feet. Not helped by Vyner and McNally also being very poor on the ball. Max is very lucky to be a championship keeper but unfortunately you have to pay for a decent keeper. So we will be stuck watching him kick it into the Dolman for a while yet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Is Max the problem? His distribution is shocking.

He's not the problem but he's also not the solution. 

A new goalkeeper would be top of my summer list, Bajic out and a new number 1 in or at least proper competition 

9 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

We can't score goals and it's the goalkeepers fault? What kind of weird alternative universe have I entered here 

Because if we are playing from the back...

26 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Atrocious with the ball at his feet. Not helped by Vyner and McNally also being very poor on the ball. Max is very lucky to be a championship keeper but unfortunately you have to pay for a decent keeper. So we will be stuck watching him kick it into the Dolman for a while yet. 

second half the ball was safer in the dolman than with Vyner. Dont think Vyners poor but he aint great and today was mare!!

57 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

No. The problem is a head coach who wants to play out from the back a la Pep. 
The difference being Pep went out and bought a keeper who suited his team, not a no mark midfielder from Oxford who’s glued to the bench. 

59 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

We can't score goals and it's the goalkeepers fault? What kind of weird alternative universe have I entered here 

1. Better decision making (catching rather than punching and good distribution with feet) would relive pressure by not giving it straight back to the opposition.

2. Agree he isn't the main protagonist of our woes.....does contribute at some level (as all players do) though.

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

I think it's fair to say we have too many players who aren't naturally comfortable in a possesion based side, whilst Max is one of them, he's way down the list of people to blame for what's going on at the minute.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Not catching crosses is more of a problem than his distribution

Last minute of the first half, prime chance to catch the ball and kill the game and instead he punched it.

I like Max, but this winds me up more than anything in modern keepers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Absolutely no goal threat though, is he?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fly in the air said:

I think he has gone backwards as a keeper. need a new one in jan

I'm a big Max fan but lately he doesn't seem as good. But that can be said about a lot of the players especially at the back. Points to poor management in my eyes 

The whole back line have gone backwards 3 years. For a year or so up to Christmas they were solid, had a calm confidence and lost that panic when the pressure was put on. 

Now that hard work has been undone and they're right back to panic mode when things aren't going to plan.

3 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

For defenders, they're really not that bad. Especially at this level. The issue is that they're seeing way more of the ball than they should - thats what leads to errors.

The issue is that we have no long ball option aside from the channel ball down to Sincs. The second that teams close those lanes to press, adjust to our 'behaviours' if you will, and get Sincs back to them unable to turn, we're completely nullified.

Hence when bringing Mayulu on - it gives us another dimension.

Max isnt the worst keeper at this level - by a long shot. Plenty of others in the firing line first. Namely the manager.

Does anyone know why Roberts wasnt on the bench?

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

M O’L at best hasn’t improved, at worst is going backwards under Manning

Same could be said for many of the squad.

In my opinion, I honestly think we've underestimated the impact of what weight Pearson's man management gave the players with regards to self belief.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

His distribution is so poor, and has been since he was a young un. 

Surely you get him on the training ground and practice kicking for an hour every day? 

Bit baffling. 

Under Pearson his distribution had  vastly mproved, but he does seem to have fallen back to his old ways. But still a decent shot stopper

Far from the problem, not all together sure how you’ve come to the conclusion that max might be to blame for recent results 🤔

I don’t think many, if any, of the players are playing with confidence or consistency at the moment. Manning doesn’t strike me as someone who will really inspire and encourage a dressing room and I think the performances are really starting to reflect that. It’s unfair to point the finger at Max and say he’s the problem, he’s certainly not playing any worse than others in the squad  

Edited by TommyD68
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

His distribution is so poor, and has been since he was a young un. 

Surely you get him on the training ground and practice kicking for an hour every day? 

Bit baffling. 

I think his kicking is less a technical issue, but more decision making…doesn’t see the image of the pitch quick enough, and then has to rush a bit too much.

• Like 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, Mendip Broadwalk said:

in a team building from the back isnt distribution on your list??? 

When building from the back he plays short balls, he's not landing them in the stands 

Max is a very good keeper. Certainly good enough for us and the vast majority of Championship teams. I’m pretty certain that if you tell any upper level goalkeeper where to kick it these days, they’ll be spot on or close enough that it doesn’t change things too much. For the most part, professional players kick it where they’ve been told. Our problems lie in the middle and top end of the pitch. Despite our defensive record plummeting, I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt as I think they are being left exposed and/or being forced to make high risk decisions. The question now is… is the midfield weak because they’re bad players, or because they are playing and passing where they’ve been told. I personally think it’s the latter.

You've got a gap, @Cowshed mentions this elsewhere on the forum.

O'Leary

⬇️

CB pair

⬇️⤴️

Knight and Williams

⤴️

Now they're good at what they do and Knight especially is being inhibited by the set-up I think but I don't see them turning back and progressing the ball into the next third.

Bird quite possibly so, Naismith especially quite possibly so.

Fit and in-form Dickie helps to bridge the gap but...without him, and with Knight and Williams the distribution possibly breaks down a bit.

The longer distribution isn't necessarily a strength of Max, mind you it isn't the easiest to pull off.

Needs competition, like any other player.  He knows he plays of fit, and that’s not how it should be. 

Maybe an odd one to say, but it’s his poor distribution at times when we are under pressure/out of position that is the biggest concern in my opinion. When we have lost our shape or been pressured heavily, at that point he smashes one down the middle of the pitch with no height on it - giving us no time to reshape, that may be a “lack of awareness” issue. 

Once again we're looking at symptoms rather than causation. 

Max is being asked to play out from the back with a LCB who is very right footed and pretty horrible on the ball and a pair of CM's at least 5 yards too high in build up (probably 10-15 tbh).

We have the least "play out from the back" shape imaginable. No "6" or no extra man (back 3). 

When Max finds Vyner, he's giving it away because rather than having to break one line, he's forced to break two to get it to our midfield. He's actually pretty good at it (in that he has some success doing something that elite level players struggle to do on a consistent basis). But again we see the failures more than the successes. 

But the key aspect is how we are set up in a way that is absolutely ludicrous. I hate this style of football more than most, but if you're going to do it, at least set up in a way that allows your players to be successful.

Tactically, this version of 4231 is the worst I've seen from any manager in my time watching us. It's not even logical. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, glynriley said:

The difference being Pep went out and bought a keeper who suited his team, not a no mark midfielder from Oxford who’s glued to the bench. 

Out of interest what is the alternative to playing out from the back, going back to lumping it long down the throat of the opposing 6 foot 4 centre half?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phantom said:

When building from the back he plays short balls, he's not landing them in the stands 

building from the back would also be breaking lines. the keeper is in a big position to do this. oleary went to switch sunday and the dolman was landed on.

Edited by Mendip Broadwalk

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

Out of interest what is the alternative to playing out from the back, going back to lumping it long down the throat of the opposing 6 foot 4 centre half?

there's far more to football than possession versus long ball. 

But again, it's not the attempts to play out that are the problem, it's the system that Manning has devised to allow that doesn't work and cannot work unless we have the best players in the division. 

We don't have sufficient passing options. We do not move and rotate sufficiently and we do not have anyone to play a bounce pass off in our third. 

Tactically we are a complete and utter mess. The players are being set up to fail.

29 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

there's far more to football than possession versus long ball. 

But again, it's not the attempts to play out that are the problem, it's the system that Manning has devised to allow that doesn't work and cannot work unless we have the best players in the division. 

We don't have sufficient passing options. We do not move and rotate sufficiently and we do not have anyone to play a bounce pass off in our third. 

Tactically we are a complete and utter mess. The players are being set up to fail.

What I’ve noticed last two games is that Mehmeti is playing wider, more in front of Pring.  And generally we are a bit more solid, better shaped / structured without the ball.  However we are returning to last season’s problem of once we go wide, we struggle to get infield, and are having to go back.  This is very worrying, it is something I expected LM to solve.  It is showing signs of him not being able to, without opening up our defence.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What I’ve noticed last two games is that Mehmeti is playing wider, more in front of Pring.  And generally we are a bit more solid, better shaped / structured without the ball.  However we are returning to last season’s problem of once we go wide, we struggle to get infield, and are having to go back.  This is very worrying, it is something I expected LM to solve.  It is showing signs of him not being able to, without opening up our defence.

There's so little spur of the moment invention even out wide though. It was epitomised to me midway through the first half when McCrorie won the ball and came infield with it, and played a pass towards the right side of the pitch. He then continued his run and ended up between Tanner and Yu creating an overload. 

What did we do? Recycled the ball slowly back through defence and tried to go down the side which now didn't have a left back. It felt like we were playing to a plan rather than reacting to what had just happened on the pitch.

15 hours ago, glynriley said:

Bristol City look more like Mr Southgate's England. Liam Manning mirrors  lopsided shapes Southgate played. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely no goal threat though, is he?

Can't be any worse. When he receives the back pass midway into our half he might as well have a pop as no-one else is.

19 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

He's not the problem but he's also not the solution. 

A new goalkeeper would be top of my summer list, Bajic out and a new number 1 in or at least proper competition 

I agree and have thought this since we lost Bentley, we have lots of other problems too but the spine of the team starts with the keeper and we need an upgrade!

35 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Not sure about this. Yet to see an assist by playing a one two with the Dolman.   

I hear the acoustics are bad in that area. Probably didn't hear the shout.

On 06/10/2024 at 19:06, Bs4Red said:

I think we have had the same problem for years. If the quality and movement of the players up the field is poor, the goalkeeper and defenders look bad because they have to hit it long or get closed down. How many of our players can receive the ball with their back to goal and do anything other than pass it back to the passer. They too are short of simple options because we are so static. Alex Scott was such a breath of fresh air because he wanted the ball all of the time, he could take the pass with 2 players in close contact and either turn and run or bring others into the game. We have nobody at all able to do this now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think we have had the same problem for years. If the quality and movement of the players up the field is poor, the goalkeeper and defenders look bad because they have to hit it long or get closed down. How many of our players can receive the ball with their back to goal and do anything other than pass it back to the passer. They too are short of simple options because we are so static. Alex Scott was such a breath of fresh air because he wanted the ball all of the time, he could take the pass with 2 players in close contact and either turn and run or bring others into the game. We have nobody at all able to do this now.

The thing is, they also receive the ball with no one behind them but still pass it back without looking to turn.  Knight particularly seems to do this.

On 07/10/2024 at 08:11, Gimme Shelton said:

So Max kicks it out twice and punched one we think he might have caught. Two and a half mistakes in the game puts him a long,long way at the bottom of the mistakes league in our team.

You got that right. 

We are utter garbage across the field and the kid who saves us from embarrassment most weeks gets another thread. 

Bloody hell. We have had the benefit of two possible three world class misses, however credit to Max at least on Sunday he did enough to put the bloke off! 

Teams cutting us apart will start tucking away these cant miss moments. The problem is in front of him all over the place. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cheese said:

The thing is, they also receive the ball with no one behind them but still pass it back without looking to turn.  Knight particularly seems to do this.

Seems to me that players come to us with flair as in Knight and Bird and this is coached out of them in search of 100% possession and total boredom.

On 06/10/2024 at 19:02, SecretSam said:

That’s too simplistic a take imo. For starters it’s not like we are ripping teams to shreds when Max gets his distribution right are we? We “fail” plenty enough with the ball when it’s nowhere near Max. I don’t see him continually missing the target with ten yard passes.

But looking at Max in isolation his biggest issue is not having Rob Dickie at the back. McNally is good at what he does but ball player he most certainly ain’t right now (and Vyner isn’t compensating either). As a consequence we look messy playing it out atm, teams work out eventually that press us and we go to shit, Max goes longer and Ederson he ain’t!!

If Dickie was playing this conversation doesn’t happen.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That’s too simplistic a take imo. For starters it’s not like we are ripping teams to shreds when Max gets his distribution right are we? We “fail” plenty enough with the ball when it’s nowhere near Max. I don’t see him continually missing the target with ten yard passes.

But looking at Max in isolation his biggest issue is not having Rob Dickie at the back. McNally is good at what he does but ball player he most certainly ain’t right now (and Vyner isn’t compensating either). As a consequence we look messy playing it out atm, teams work out eventually that press us and we go to shit, Max goes longer and Ederson he ain’t!!

It never ceases to amaze me how much better other OTIBers 'read' the game.

#Respect

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

O'leary lacks range. He does not possess a wide range of passing beyond short, and short is up to twenty metres. The team will always be tactically limited because of the technical limitations of its number one. 

In a team building from the back a normal expectation would be that the keeper would be efficiently be able to reset possession and frequently switch play. Switching is an area to wide receivers (the full backs) is an area where O'leary is erratic hitting and missing players located around thirty metres away. The team consistently adopts a shape where its gone two at the back (CB's) the ball is returned to O'leary and he fails to reset the ball. Its a technical limitation effecting the fluency of the team.  

Going against some of the flow I feel O'learys distribution has improved, he hit a beautiful penetrative pass to feet v Wednesday that may have not been achieved in seasons past, he is occasionally breaking lines with driven passes into central midfield, and has left his box to act as a third and second CB to create passing angles influenced by time on the grass with Mr Manning where previously O'leary was attached deep to his box by an invisible umbilical cord.

O'leary is a case of expectation. What is it that your expect from a keeper. Liam Mannings football, the teams is based upon possession, building from the first third and distribution is not the best part of O'learys game. The teams possession football is tactically limited because of the technical limitations of its number one. A normal expectation is a team approaching its football as City are is that's the keeper distribution will be a keystone skill, the keepers distribution, the ability to keep and reset possession will be of a high, very high and exceptional level, an asset to the teams football. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, REDOXO said:

You got that right. 

We are utter garbage across the field and the kid who saves us from embarrassment most weeks gets another thread. 

Bloody hell. We have had the benefit of two possible three world class misses, however credit to Max at least on Sunday he did enough to put the bloke off! 

Teams cutting us apart will start tucking away these cant miss moments. The problem is in front of him all over the place. 

Saves us from embarrassment most weeks?

He went about 4 games without making a single save earlier this season and has one of the lowest save percentages in the division this season, along with one of the lowest expected goals prevented.

Now I am not saying that the goals conceded in those games were Max's fault. Nor saying Max is a bad shot stopper. These aren't statistics to be taken in isolation.

But the Max fan club needs to cut out pretending he's the saviour, or overhyping every routine save that gets made.

Last season there was a game where a forward was in on goal and hit the ball straight at Max.

I called this a poor finish for putting it straight at Max, but the fan club castigated me for saying such.

In the last couple of games there was a near identical chance that Armstrong squandered, this time though it was poor finishing rather than an excellent save...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

He went about 4 games without making a single save earlier this season and has one of the lowest save percentages in the division this season, along with one of the lowest expected goals prevented.

Now I am not saying that the goals conceded in those games were Max's fault. Nor saying Max is a bad shot stopper. These aren't statistics to be taken in isolation.

But the Max fan club needs to cut out pretending he's the saviour, or overhyping every routine save that gets made.

Last season there was a game where a forward was in on goal and hit the ball straight at Max.

I called this a poor finish for putting it straight at Max, but the fan club castigated me for saying such.

In the last couple of games there was a near identical chance that Armstrong squandered, this time though it was poor finishing rather than an excellent save...

I love the “pretending he’s the savior” why do people have to go to extremes on here. 

Max is a very good international goalkeeper behind an awful team and has saved us from embarrassment a lot. 

I think the Max is not very good club need to give him his due!

2 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

Were you applauding him last season when he had one of the highest shot save percentages?  Hopefully.  He’s going through a mediocre spell. His first one really. 

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I love the “pretending he’s the savior” why do people have to go to extremes on here. 

Max is a very good international goalkeeper behind an awful team and has saved us from embarrassment a lot. 

Agreed.  One of our best players last season but sadly a player that fans look to turn on whenever possible 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

It's an accurate description of what you are doing 

You've claimed he has "saved us from embarrassment most weeks"

That is not the case, at all.

He's a decent keeper for the level, he has his strengths and his weaknesses. Pretending he's single handedly keeping us in games when he's made very few saves this season is dishonest, as it would also be if someone claimed the goals against was primarily his fault.

I have at no point said or suggested that Max is "not very good" though.

So here's the difference, I acknowledge his upsides and his downsides. And accept both. I give credit to good saves and criticise mistakes equally.

You see only his positives, have made a dishonest claim and then when that was called out said I went to "extremes".

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Were you applauding him last season when he had one of the highest shot save percentages?  Hopefully.  He’s going through a mediocre spell. His first one really. 

Agreed.  One of our best players last season but sadly a player that fans look to turn on whenever possible 

Some fans!

So far this season the player targets on here have been O’Leary, Sykes, Williams even Knight Bird and Twine all playing in a way they are very much told to play  

The issue seems pretty plain to me at the moment as these boys have not become bad players!

Hopefully Mr Manning can turn it around  

• Like 2

I have said for ages we need a new keeper.max does not comand his area and is not strong enough.we need someone who can give the defence more confidence.as for the defence we are missing dickie and Atkinson who both hopefully be back soon.