IGNORED

Mcguane

It does smack of a favour to a mate doesn’t it ? Seemed odd that we’d consider an Oxford reject good enough for us in the first place but to sign him and never play him smacks of nepotism . Particularly after ditching a young player we’d only recently paid a substantial fee for .

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Loaning out TGH, bringing in McGuane.

Improvement either as an individual or to the squad balance?

I doubt it.

However someone didn't want to hang around and fight, that's why he was loaned out. 

1 hour ago, EmersonsKev said:

However someone didn't want to hang around and fight, that's why he was loaned out. 

Didn’t want to hang around and fight, or looked at what was going on and got out?

I don’t know the actual answer, but I’d say they’re as likely as each other.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, EmersonsKev said:

Or maybe he thought that the club was a total shitshow and decided that a move to Brum with their investment might be better for his long term future. He was definitely one of the players who regressed under plastic Pep, who amongst other things was brought in to improve what we had, another thing he's failed at.

We're running out of options to determine what Manning is actually good at, I'm struggling to think of anything from a football perspective, perhaps as some outlandish views suggest, he is only good at saying yes to those above.

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Flames 2

11 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Why did we sign him?

I wonder if it's because, ideally we'd be able to play Knight and Bird in the two central, more defensive midfield roles with Twine ahead of them but this might be a little light defensively.

As such, we have Joe Williams in there. He might get injured.

6 hours ago, EmersonsKev said:

Do you know this for sure or just speculation ? 

Fair play if you know , I liked him and would say he would have been nearer the team than McGuane is now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Baldyman said:

It does smack of a favour to a mate doesn’t it ? Seemed odd that we’d consider an Oxford reject good enough for us in the first place but to sign him and never play him smacks of nepotism . Particularly after ditching a young player we’d only recently paid a substantial fee for .

Same as johnson signing marley watkins what a waste of a million quid that was .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

15 hours ago, astrondrew said:

I wonder if it's because, ideally we'd be able to play Knight and Bird in the two central, more defensive midfield roles with Twine ahead of them but this might be a little light defensively.

As such, we have Joe Williams in there. He might get injured.

Who, when and why might get injured?

On 07/10/2024 at 06:56, The Masked Man said:

We need four central midfielders so I don't have a problem with the signing of McGuane on the cheap. He'll get his chance. 

What about Meerholz, among others.

Thought we had an 'even better group'?

• Like 3

On 07/10/2024 at 08:56, Cityboy1954 said:

Same as johnson signing marley watkins what a waste of a million quid that was .

A front three of bas savage marley watkins and arnie garita come off it who’s responsible for this mind boggling shyte

On 07/10/2024 at 09:39, ashton_fan said:

He was a cheap signing to bulk up the squad, will no doubt get some games as our injuries accumulate. Similar to Pearson signing Cornick.

Same old.

Bloated squad the new manager will have to thin out

He was a cheap signing to bulk up the squad, will no doubt get some games as our injuries accumulate. Similar to Pearson signing Cornick.

The two were not that similar?

We couldn't add anyone for a fee including Loan Fee until such time as Semenyo went. 

The squad had thinned out we had literally a few days to do business within strict financial parameters. Combination of financials and time.

McGuane was a possible replacement for TGH, relatively cheap but in a very different financial and timespan context.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Knight, Bird, Williams and yes even Naismith can play CM

Earthy can in theory drop a bit deeper too or is he more attacking midfielder only?

So can McGuane. Possibly better than Naismith.

Earthy is almost certainly not a CM from what I've seen.

13 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

So can McGuane. Possibly better than Naismith.

Earthy is almost certainly not a CM from what I've seen.

Based on?? McGuane is superior to Naismith is he- get him in then because we are lacking in some areas.

I remember Naismith as part of a 4-3-3 with Scott and one other looked pretty cohesive until sadly Naismith got injured.

Difference being Cornick has actually played games. And unlike now, we actually had, what - 19 players with first team experience - after Semenyo was sold?

This has McInnes-Morris vibes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Based on?? McGuane is (possibly) superior to Naismith is he- get him in then because we are lacking in some areas.

Who are you dropping?

I'm imagining McGuane is not as good as Williams, Bird or Knight.

Edited by astrondrew

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The two were not that similar?

We couldn't add anyone for a fee including Loan Fee until such time as Semenyo went. 

The squad had thinned out we had literally a few days to do business within strict financial parameters. Combination of financials and time.

McGuane was a possible replacement for TGH, relatively cheap but in a very different financial and timespan context.

There's no need to get all defensive, I wasn't criticising your mate Nige, I actually think Cornick was a decent signing for the money we paid

34 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

There's no need to get all defensive, I wasn't criticising your mate Nige, I actually think Cornick was a decent signing for the money we paid

McGuane could be decent in fairness but we don't know yet because we haven't seen him.

I hope we do see him and see him properly at one point and he doesn't seem to have cost a lot either.

1 hour ago, astrondrew said:

Who are you dropping?

I'm imagining McGuane is not as good as Williams, Bird or Knight.

In that case why sign him?

Where does he fit in.

45 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

Mcguane should he not have a few games with the under21 team  just to keep him ticking over. I don't get how he has had no game time. Another poor decision from Manning and Tinnion 

Must be deconditioned by now

2 hours ago, fly in the air said:

Mcguane should he not have a few games with the under21 team  just to keep him ticking over. I don't get how he has had no game time. Another poor decision from Manning and Tinnion 

I'm amazed he hasn't . At the moment I can't see why he's here, apart from make up the numbers in training. 
No minutes for the first team whatever the situation in a game , surely the end of the Derby or Blackburn games he could have had a run. At least a run or 2 for the U21s would get some match sharpness , he wasn't in the Oxford squad for the first 2 games and hasn't had a minute for us, as far as I can see coming on in a friendly at the end of July is his last involvement  . 

28 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm amazed he hasn't . At the moment I can't see why he's here, apart from make up the numbers in training. 
No minutes for the first team whatever the situation in a game , surely the end of the Derby or Blackburn games he could have had a run. At least a run or 2 for the U21s would get some match sharpness , he wasn't in the Oxford squad for the first 2 games and hasn't had a minute for us, as far as I can see coming on in a friendly at the end of July is his last involvement  . 

Don’t take this the wrong way Mike, but we need 20 players for match day, of which 16 can play, which means a minimum of 3 outfield players each game aren’t gonna get on.  McGuane and Naismith are the bench warmers it seems with no chance of getting on.

Manning would evidently not only prefer to have the bench full of what I’d call “senior players” but also have some knocking around not even getting into the 20.  He wants options, even if he doesn’t use them.  Lord knows what happens when Atkinson is deemed ready (now?) or Roberts, Bell, etc are back.  Cornick already on the outside, and no youngsters getting a sniff.

Assuming Pring and Roberts aren’t fit come Boro, if Manning is picking a balanced bench, he must pick Elijah Morrison to replace Pring in the 20, even if he persists with starting Ross McCrorie at LB.  That is the acid test for me.  Elijah played u21s yesterday, so reading between the lines not part of the first team squad given time off ready for return on Wednesday.  If he doesn’t, he never will, and @Silvio Dante will be proved right for once and for all.  FWIW I think he is already.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t take this the wrong way Mike, but we need 20 players for match day, of which 16 can play, which means a minimum of 3 outfield players each game aren’t gonna get on.  McGuane and Naismith are the bench warmers it seems with no chance of getting on.

Manning would evidently not only prefer to have the bench full of what I’d call “senior players” but also have some knocking around not even getting into the 20.  He wants options, even if he doesn’t use them.  Lord knows what happens when Atkinson is deemed ready (now?) or Roberts, Bell, etc are back.  Cornick already on the outside, and no youngsters getting a sniff.

Assuming Pring and Roberts aren’t fit come Boro, if Manning is picking a balanced bench, he must pick Elijah Morrison to replace Pring in the 20, even if he persists with starting Ross McCrorie at LB.  That is the acid test for me.  Elijah played u21s yesterday, so reading between the lines not part of the first team squad given time off ready for return on Wednesday.  If he doesn’t, he never will, and @Silvio Dante will be proved right for once and for all.  FWIW I think he is already.

I'm more wondering why get rid of TGH , to bring in another MF ?
Unless he had pushed for a loan move to get games , which I'm not so sure. Even when Twine came in Knight, Williams and Bird started so  TGH would have been next in line. 

Options are fine , but Derby and Blackburn at 3-0 down we had a sub left I believe. For the kid himself it would have been good to get him on the pitch. 

As you say the next bench will be interesting. 
Just wait until he starts Roberts and has McCrorie on the bench to cover both FB positions. 

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm more wondering why get rid of TGH , to bring in another MF ?
Unless he had pushed for a loan move to get games , which I'm not so sure. Even when Twine came in Knight, Williams and Bird started so  TGH would have been next in line. 

Options are fine , but Derby and Blackburn at 3-0 down we had a sub left I believe. For the kid himself it would have been good to get him on the pitch. 

As you say the next bench will be interesting. 
Just wait until he starts Roberts and has McCrorie on the bench to cover both FB positions. 

He wanted a role in the squad where he played more often.  Despite signing him, Manning has had conversations where he can’t guarantee that / sees his squad role differently.

I guess using subs for the sake of it isn’t Manning’s MO!

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He wanted a role in the squad where he played more often.  Despite signing him, Manning has had conversations where he can’t guarantee that / sees his squad role differently.

I guess using subs for the sake of it isn’t Manning’s MO!

No you're probably right , I wonder if he holds one back in case of injury. He strikes me as a belt and bracers sort of person.

I just think for the lads sake, he must be desperate to get a run. Had a bit of a downward trajectory to his career from Barca B , then being dropped by Oxford and when reunited with his old Boss it feels like he's making up the numbers.

I think that Manning is feeling the pressure so may not be seeing things this way.

Edited by 1960maaan

I cant see Naismith starting a game for us again, unless theres another injury crisis. Fully expect to see him paid up and released at some point in January.

With regards to Mcguane, its a player Manning knows. Its low risk (low reward as well) and hes not exactly going to be breaking the bank. His remit will be to just remain fit. Hes a waterboy and nothing else.

Its a position on the bench that could be occupied by an academy player - but is there any CMs ready?

Given Manning's 'pedigree' of being an academy/youth coach its shocking that we arent seeing any at least given exposure to matchday on the bench, but i guess thats what will happen when you back your 'young, up and coming, on the grass' coach with a full squad of senior players to hide how crap they actually are.

23 minutes ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

I cant see Naismith starting a game for us again, unless theres another injury crisis. Fully expect to see him paid up and released at some point in January.

With regards to Mcguane, its a player Manning knows. Its low risk (low reward as well) and hes not exactly going to be breaking the bank. His remit will be to just remain fit. Hes a waterboy and nothing else.

Its a position on the bench that could be occupied by an academy player - but is there any CMs ready?

Given Manning's 'pedigree' of being an academy/youth coach its shocking that we arent seeing any at least given exposure to matchday on the bench, but i guess thats what will happen when you back your 'young, up and coming, on the grass' coach with a full squad of senior players to hide how crap they actually are.

They couldn't have done any worse / better than Mcguane so far. 

Surely a good coach would put someone like Billy Phillips on the bench and tell him, "You're here for the experience and you won't be coming on, however I want you to sit and watch Jason Knight for 90 minutes and nothing else." Then Monday morning sits youngster down and talks him through Knights performance.

Edited by Sir Geoff
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

Naismith will probably move on in January, doubt we’ll pay him up, with only a few months of his contract left then I expect he’ll have interest.

As for “is there a CM ready” Backwell is 20 now & was on the bench a few times last season. If we don’t feel he could be a sub why give him another deal last summer?

Meeholz similar if a fair bit younger.

It’s almost as if our genius Director of Football didn’t do the research when recruiting Pearson’s replacement, isn’t it?

We got someone with no interest in using the Academy at all.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

35 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

They couldn't have done any worse / better than Mcguane so far. 

Surely a good coach would put someone like Billy Phillips on the bench and tell him, "You're here for the experience and you won't be coming on, however I want you to sit and watch Jason Knight for 90 minutes and nothing else." Then Monday morning sits youngster down and talks him through Knights performance.

Totally agree

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Naismith will probably move on in January, doubt we’ll pay him up, with only a few months of his contract left then I expect he’ll have interest.

As for “is there a CM ready” Backwell is 20 now & was on the bench a few times last season. If we don’t feel he could be a sub why give him another deal last summer?

Meeholz similar if a fair bit younger.

It’s almost as if our genius Director of Football didn’t do the research when recruiting Pearson’s replacement, isn’t it?

We got someone with no interest in using the Academy at all.

You mean Tinnion may be blustering his way through this? ......who'd have thought it

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

They won’t be ready if they aren’t being given a space on the bench. 

• Like 1

The biggest issue for me is when TGH moved on it opened up a space for someone like Backwell, Murphy or Meerholz to move into contention. Financially, it would have made sense as they would come into the frame and gained experience of being regulars in the match day 20. The signing ofMcGuane made no sense and as others have pointed out a squad depth with experienced players kills the pathway & add in Manning is always under pressure he won’t risk kids.  I just hope Earthy isn’t a victim of his inexperience (age)  carrying more weight than any ability.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

On 09/10/2024 at 09:22, Davefevs said:

Agree re the squad size and Manning wanting 20 ‘first team’ players, albeit with a couple of bench warmers. 
However, re the later points, it would be a very rare occurrence where the whole squad was fit. Only rarely will Manning have to make a call as to who to leave out as there are always injuries/suspensions that mean that decision doesn’t have to be made. 

If we just look at the last squad - Pring & Sykes will be missing for the next one. So immediately you’ve got 2 spaces to fill. 

Yes, there will come a time when someone will miss the squad altogether, but the way this club has been with injuries over the last few years, it’ll only be a rare selection dilemma for MannGPT. 

On the wider McGuane point. I saw him a few times at Oxford. Some games he absolutely bossed midfield. Other games he was a little lost. So I don’t know when and how successfully he will contribute for us, but he was basically a direct TGH replacement, so the ‘pathway’ was no different than what it was with TGH here. He clearly wanted 4 ‘first team’ CM’s. 

The ‘pathway’ issue is one which Tinnion may want to take responsibility for. He tells us the “next crop are the best yet” and he similarly tells us that Murphy is “the best young player in Ireland”. If that’s the case, then as Tech Director it’s his right to say to Manning : “you’ve got JK, JW & MB. If you want a 4th CM as cover, use Murphy”. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Agree @Harry, but I guess whilst he rarely has to have a difficult conversation re a senior player not making the 20, by the same token he rarely has to worry about having to picking (let alone playing) an current academy player either!

+++++

Re McGuane.  He was out of contract in the summer, but had a year option…allegedly on his side.  He exercised it.  Which seemed a strange one if he wasn’t gonna play.  I was chatting to an Oxford fan and he reckons that because of their promotion, his additional year would mean he got a promotion pay rise.

No idea when Msnning might pick him though.

On 07/10/2024 at 07:00, Major Isewater said:

Pathway blocking once more. 

Yes but who is currently even near Championship standard in our academy / U21's?

The pathway must be loans using lower league teams, not a few mins here and there and a season ticket for our first team bench. 

We won't develop a sustainable pathway unless they are exceptional and they can have regular starts. Just look what happened when we put those on the periphery of the first team into the league cup or gave them a few minutes last season - very few are still here!

LM has many, many faults but this pathway blocking charge is nonsense given the importance of each Championship game.

• Facepalm 1

Pathway blocking is not a “point in time” thing, nor do you necessarily see any impact (full impact?) until further down the line. And even a player who isn’t ready now can still see his pathway blocked by signings made for first team now, because of things like length of contract of the signing, or squad bloat pushing opportunities at u21 backwards.  Pathway is not the domain of “are they ready for first team today”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Yes but who is currently even near Championship standard in our academy / U21's?

The pathway must be loans using lower league teams, not a few mins here and there and a season ticket for our first team bench. 

We won't develop a sustainable pathway unless they are exceptional and they can have regular starts. Just look what happened when we put those on the periphery of the first team into the league cup or gave them a few minutes last season - very few are still here!

LM has many, many faults but this pathway blocking charge is nonsense given the importance of each Championship game.

With the exception of Scott, none of our recent academy players have been ‘ready’ they require exposure to this level, with that comes experience and along with decent coaching they will become championship players. Not all will make it thats life. Some if not most will need a loan or 2 beforehand but if you don’t give them a chance it will never happen.

we were told this is why we needed a head coach not a manager, however since appointing Manning this has stopped this.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Gol said:

we were told this is why we needed a head coach not a manager, however since appointing Manning this has stopped this.

There is another take - we are choosing to develop our young talent via loans rather than crush them in the Championship- I would much rather Seb Palmer Holden develops at Dundee via regular game time than gets a few minutes here and there with us and doesn’t progress, which is exactly what happened with Yeboah - under Pearson let’s not forget!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

There is another take - we are choosing to develop our young talent via loans rather than crush them in the Championship- I would much rather Seb Palmer Holden develops at Dundee via regular game time than gets a few minutes here and there with us and doesn’t progress, which is exactly what happened with Yeboah - under Pearson let’s not forget!

With heading over to @spudski’s new thread:

in fairness to you, following a strategy / plan is not this bunch’s forté, so it’s quite possible it’s changed 180 degrees to exactly as you suggest! 😉

When you say Yeboah didn’t progress under Pearson, what do you actually mean.  From a non regular in the u21s he became a regular in the first team squad under Pearson.  Did you really mean to say “doesn’t progress” under Manning?  I’m a bit confused why you’re laying the fault at Pearson, it wasn't him that let Ephraim fall into obscurity.  Have I missed something?

• Flames 3

17 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I really think the minutes that players get and the level are hugely important.  I think Ephraim's loan is damaging for him.

• Flames 1