IGNORED

Tinnion - how has SL made a mistake with him again

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

Anyone who was around when he was manager and bought in "the magnificent seven" would know not to let him anywhere near recruitment.

Was that the Dave Partridge, Matt Heywood, Grant Smith, Michael Bridges horrowshow transfer window (shudder).

I think he brought in Bradley Orr that Summer to give him some credit. But the rest was pigswill.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

8 minutes ago, jrabrewer said:

Was that the Dave Partridge, Matt Heywood, Grant Smith, Michael Bridges horrowshow transfer window (shudder).

I think he brought in Bradley Orr that Summer to give him some credit. But the rest was pigswill.

It was.

Alex Russell, Richard Keogh & Marcus Stewart were the others. Arguable the first two did ok for us.

He did, but played Orr as a central midfielder.

It was GJ (a proper manager) who converted him into a RB, one who was good enough to get into the Championship divisional team in 07/08.

• Like 10

18 hours ago, fly in the air said:

I agree awful appointment. Manning needs an experienced Director of football. not a failed manager. 

Nigel Pearson would have been a good fit in a more senior role. Manning in any structure is not right. He’s completely out of his depth and needs to be moved on asap. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

We’re the only Championship club that would appoint him to such a key role. He was in a job he was great at in the academy, he’d rebuilt his legacy with the fan base after what was a disastrous spell as manager.  

All I can deduce from the things I hear about him is that he’s a grade A s**thouse. Reading  Danny Wilson’s autobiography, he said Tinnion replaced him as manager, he phoned him singing “The King is dead, long live the King” I mean how much of muppet have you got to be to do something like that?

He must of been instrumental in getting rid of Nige, it seems he’s had SL’s ear for years, even when he was a player, and has no loyalty to anyone. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 1

5 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

We’re the only Championship club that would appoint him to such a key role. He was in a job he was great at in the academy, he’d rebuilt his legacy with the fan base after what was a disastrous spell as manager.  

All I can deduce from the things I hear about him is that he’s a grade A s**thouse. Reading  Danny Wilson’s autobiography, he said Tinnion replaced him as manager, he phoned him singing “The King is dead, long live the King” I mean how much of muppet have you got to be to do something like that?

He must of been instrumental in getting rid of Nige, it seems he’s had SL’s ear for years, even when he was a player, and has no loyalty to anyone. 

But as SL now has handed over the running to JL. BT has to just feed him the rubbish.

It needs some serious fixing

• Like 5

6 hours ago, jrabrewer said:

The similarities between the excitement that season are very comparable to this. 

Signing Stewart and Bridges, we were in dreamland!

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

That’s Lansdown’s MO. Make the same mistakes time after time (cf Holden, sack Pearson appoint another unknown) safe in the knowledge that he (probably) won’t be held accountable and that the managers HE hand-picked will always be tne scapegoat.

Tinnion needs to go, but unless he takes SL and JL with him nothing’s going to improve.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Tinnion needs to go, but unless he takes SL and JL with him nothing’s going to improve.

I live in a dream where both Lansdowns and Tinnion get marched out of our city with pitchforks up their arse. 

It's so much more bearable than reality.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

The similarities between the excitement that season are very comparable to this. 

Ah I remember those pre season friendlies well.  Cheltenham away sticks out, surely we were finally going to get promoted - these guys are playing unbelievable football. Look how we’ve crushed them.

Season starts…oh dear

8 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Signing an older, experienced and proven goalscorer ? Great !
We signed 2 that couldn't really play together .

Nothing like signing a young, unproven , inexperienced striker .
We signed 2 that we wont play together.

I'm not seeing the similarities  :whistle2:  :laughcont:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

SL tends to get obsessed with some of the men he's employed. 

GJ's sacking being like a funeral. Dying on the LJ hill, getting all upset and telling the fans well it's my money.

Tinnion is another of his obsessions, to be employed once in such an important role was dumb, just laughable the second time. 

I would say SL is easily sweet talked by ass lickers, it's his love language, and he can easily fall in love with them. Any normal self respecting bloke like Cotts or Pearson and SL just feels unloved and can't warm to them. 

• Like 17

22 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Ah I remember those pre season friendlies well.  Cheltenham away sticks out, surely we were finally going to get promoted - these guys are playing unbelievable football. Look how we’ve crushed them.

Season starts…oh dear

We won at the mem too, and grant Smith had his only good game 

• Like 1

Tbh during Tinnions first season as manager, i dont recall much as i was always pissed - but was it really that bad?

We finished 1 point off the play offs....i seem to recall us drawing loads of games where we didnt start playing until we were 2 nil down

6 minutes ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

Tbh during Tinnions first season as manager, i dont recall much as i was always pissed - but was it really that bad?

We finished 1 point off the play offs....i seem to recall us drawing loads of games where we didnt start playing until we were 2 nil down

That seems to be developing into a bit of a theme… but we’ve got to be 1-0 down this time around. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Even that's honestly debatable. He's still - supposedly involved in some degree but he's killed off the pathway.

So in other words, he's cocked up the one part he had working.

We still can't be sure on academy side who had more of a role - him or Probert.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

some people just dont care that we have such an immature amateur advising our director

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

17 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

And Danny isn't the sort of bloke who would make this thing up for clout either, despite his failings in getting us promoted he always portrayed quite a professional and classy image throughout his time as Manager at the club.

As for Tinnion - a club legend as a player no doubt, but a player who SHOULD have had a better career than he did have. Makes me question whether if he had gone to a bigger club than us in the 90s how would he have got on. I think he wealded a lot of power in his latter playing days at the club which he wouldn't of got elsewhere.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

1 point outside the playoffs in League 1? I don't think we were ever looking like finishing in the playoffs all season from what I recall, we had an ok end to the season which bumped us up a few places.

After finishing 3rd in 2002/03 and 2003/04, it was clearly a step backwards. We were lucky we had Leroy Lita banging goals in for fun + Steve Brooker otherwise we'd have been mid table. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Signing an older, experienced and proven goalscorer ? Great !
We signed 2 that couldn't really play together .

Nothing like signing a young, unproven , inexperienced striker .
We signed 2 that we wont play together.

I'm not seeing the similarities  :whistle2:  :laughcont:

We already had Steve Brooker, one of Tinnion’s better signings & by that stage in their careers a far superior player to both.

He left him out & played Bridges at the start, bloke was a total waster.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

We finished 3rd in the two previous seasons, so 7th wasn’t exactly progress.

As has been pointed out, we finished with a run of 11 points in our final five games after any hope of making the playoffs had already gone.

The following summer he ripped the team up, the likes of Coles, Tommy Doc left & it was a shambles.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

I didn’t know that about Wilson, what an odd and classless thing to do.

It’s a great point about his legacy. Undeniably a great player for us, but then dreadful manager who left under a cloud. He regained his reputation and our respect with his academy role but then in the last couple of years has undone most of that. 

As for Nige he was absolutely instrumental in him leaving; and indeed key in Manning’s appointment. 

As the saying goes, you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 1

On 06/10/2024 at 20:20, Shauntaylor85 said:

Shocking summer business, splashing the cash which Nigel worked hard to develop and nurture. Over £10M spent and what did we really get? Should never have been given such a role, especially after the 7.1 at Swansea. Needs to go 

Is that the same shocking summer business that most on here was saying was fantastic only a few weeks ago

I do wonder if when Gould and Pearson were here, BT felt marginalised. 

I also wonder how much of the positive work attributed to him with the youth system, etc was actually the work of others.

• Flames 2

20 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Is that the same shocking summer business that most on here was saying was fantastic only a few weeks ago

On paper it looked decent over preseason…but none of us had seen how the new players would fit in versus Championship level opponents.  It’s all well and good looking fine against Newport and the like, but you don’t get asked the same questions by teams like that.

Most reserved judgement until that point.

And then we went and added Twine, Earthy and McNally and swapped TGH out for McGuane.

FWIW I still think that we’ve signed some decent players, but as each game goes by the fit to LM’s system becomes questionable.  Hence why we are seeing some players performing at a lower level than expected.

Is that not a reasonable take / explanation?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I do wonder if when Gould and Pearson were here, BT felt marginalised. 

I also wonder how much of the positive work attributed to him with the youth system, etc was actually the work of others.

They promoted him to TD.  I don’t think they thought he’d do what he did though.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

36 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I don’t think they were. It started off as a pleasing window with what looked good value signings. It became quite ridiculous imo with players signed without much of a plan for them. Earthy AND Twine. The signing of McNally asks many questions too. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They promoted him to TD.  I don’t think they thought he’d do what he did though.

Oh hell, it's all Pearson's fault? Surely he wouldn't have chosen the Technical Director. Gould, maybe.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

On paper it looked decent over preseason…but none of us had seen how the new players would fit in versus Championship level opponents.  It’s all well and good looking fine against Newport and the like, but you don’t get asked the same questions by teams like that.

Most reserved judgement until that point.

And then we went and added Twine, Earthy and McNally and swapped TGH out for McGuane.

FWIW I still think that we’ve signed some decent players, but as each game goes by the fit to LM’s system becomes questionable.  Hence why we are seeing some players performing at a lower level than expected.

Is that not a reasonable take / explanation?

The OP described it as "shocking summer business", hence my comment that it was pretty much universally well received, not withstanding some caveats about the strikers being unproven.

36 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

My view of the summer business (and this is pre Twine purchase/Conway sale) was that I was happy with it, but the following applied:

- We’d added depth as opposed to upping the level

- We’d taken a few punts. Nothing wrong with that but I remember saying that we’d need a couple of those punts to be top six standard in order to do anything.

The irony for me is the “punt” I thought looked brightest and was excited to see more of was Stokes, whose pathway was then blocked to the extent he went on loan.

If you then fast forward and we sign Twine and McNally for our two biggest fees of the summer, and McGuane (Ok in isolation as a TGH replacement but in real terms a “bench blocker).

McNally we didn’t have a real “need” for and I’d argue we overpaid markedly for Twine. So to judge the summer business at the end it’s fair to say that we brought in some real potential early, but we seem to have had some real poor thinking in our funds allocation overall based on our later business. If you take that £6m paid for Twine and McNally, and instead use it on the real quality we look to be lacking up front while SA and FM are developing, while keeping Stokes in the squad, would we overall be better or worse off?

Subtotal for me is I liked the early business, noting the punt nature, but what we did later undermined that strategy and funds could have been allocated better overall.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The OP described it as "shocking summer business", hence my comment that it was pretty much universally well received, not withstanding some caveats about the strikers being unproven.

Get your point. I think it’d be interesting to see the reaction to the summer business pre Twine/McNally and post Twine/McNally and I think you’d see the opinion shift somewhat

It was a well recieved window in the early part but became muddled and poorer/less focused as it went on. Shocking is probably too far - did we spend the funds appropriately by the end of the window is a better question.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

My view of the summer business (and this is pre Twine purchase/Conway sale) was that I was happy with it, but the following applied:

- We’d taken a few punts. Nothing wrong with that but I remember saying that we’d need a couple of those punts to be top six standard in order to do anything.

The irony for me is the “punt” I thought looked brightest and was excited to see more of was Stokes, whose pathway was then blocked to the extent he went on loan.

If you then fast forward and we sign Twine and McNally for our two biggest fees of the summer, and McGuane (Ok in isolation as a TGH replacement but in real terms a “bench blocker).

McNally we didn’t have a real “need” for and I’d argue we overpaid markedly for Twine. So to judge the summer business at the end it’s fair to say that we brought in some real potential early, but we seem to have had some real poor thinking in our funds allocation overall based on our later business. If you take that £6m paid for Twine and McNally, and instead use it on the real quality we look to be lacking up front while SA and FM are developing, while keeping Stokes in the squad, would we overall be better or worse off?

Subtotal for me is I liked the early business, noting the punt nature, but what we did later undermined that strategy and funds could have been allocated better overall.

100%.

A smart few on here said you can only judge our business once the window closed.

Mayulu (first through the door) & Armstrong looked like all we could afford in terms of strikers on arrival, punts but most would have accepted that.

In the last week of the window we found nearly £6m to give Burnley for Twine (after already signing Earthy on loan) & McNally (with Naismith fit).

Not hindsight, it didn’t look smart business at the time to have 9 defenders, three number 10s (including Stokes but not Bird, who has found himself picked there on occasions) & a 34 year old striker & two novices.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

It was universally well received on here.

However it was put to me, that “why are they taking these risks”. And” that bringing in a player from Japan in particular will give you some extra running and energy, but selling your top forward and bringing in a couple of guys that have very limited history as goal scorers is a huge gamble”

Risk taking is well received generally as people see it as an attempt to get better. 

Problem is Mr Manning himself was a huge risk as a head coach  (I heard manager several times yesterday, unless circumstances have changed Mr Manning is head coach) no track record worth a damn and a way of playing that inspires nothing but empty seats. 

All this bollox about front foot ball is just that. I don’t think for a second that The Lansdown family had a scooby about Liam Manning, but anything they did know came from Brian. 

Hopefully Brian is busy compiling a new list of possible managers/head coaches while the other board members are compiling a list of new technical directors and CEOs. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fisherrich said:

Until the Lansdowns GO, nothing will change. No point buying a season ticket and then complaining, because you know what you are going to get from these owners - dross.

Don't think Lansdown will go, he wants to sell, but no buyer wants football, Rugby & basketball  , he won't sell just one, 

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

However it was put to me, that “why are they taking these risks”. And” that bringing in a player from Japan in particular will give you some extra running and energy, but selling your top forward and bringing in a couple of guys that have very limited history as goal scorers is a huge gamble”

Risk taking is well received generally as people see it as an attempt to get better. 

Problem is Mr Manning himself was a huge risk as a head coach  (I heard manager several times yesterday, unless circumstances have changed Mr Manning is head coach) no track record worth a damn and a way of playing that inspires nothing but empty seats. 

All this bollox about front foot ball is just that. I don’t think for a second that The Lansdown family had a scooby about Liam Manning, but anything they did know came from Brian. 

Hopefully Brian is busy compiling a new list of possible managers/head coaches while the other board members are compiling a list of new technical directors and CEOs. 

they wont be doing anything like that,more than likely sitting on the floor playing scrabble with Brian winning by a mile with trippel wurd scorrs

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

Don't think Lansdown will go, he wants to sell, but no buyer wants football, Rugby & basketball  , he won't sell just one, 

I know, in which case this level of dross will just carry on. As I have mentioned on here for years, the whole Bristol Sport biz model is doomed unless another buffoon wants to pay Lansdown “top dollar” for this mess.

Not sure where the exit door is for Lansdown currently? He must want out now, surely? But at what price?

Edited by fisherrich
  • Like 1

• Admin

When, inevitably, Manning goes and we need a replacement my advice to our hierarchy will be "hold the interviews and whoever you think did worst, employ them, they're probably the best candidate".

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Was he? Like relatively, was he truly? He's an young English coach who did a good job a few years back at a decently sized club in the division below, but it ended up going to shit. He then came back and did a good job with another club in the division below so we picked him up. He's had two jobs in the English football pyramid as a manager and has achieved good results with them. Now lets look at another side in the division Norwich.

They sacked David Wagner a man with a proven track record in England and Germany with at least 14 years experience and replaced him with someone who has managed for a single year, in Denmark, has never won a trophy, and has never played professional football or coached in England. That's a risk. Ours was just some measly attempt at picking up a manager on an upwards trajectory who wasn't really on an upwards trajectory. There are other examples besides Norwich. We are relative to many of the other sides in the division, above, below and in this one, a safe team. Even in our attempt to take a risk we never go the full 9 yards so we always end up with a boring mid-table result. Where he's just not quite good enough, just like us.

Edited by MythikRobins

36 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Was he? Like relatively, was he truly? He's an young English coach who did a good job a few years back at a decently sized club in the division below, but it ended up going to shit. He then came back and did a good job with another club in the division below so we picked him up. He's had two jobs in the English football pyramid as a manager and has achieved good results with them. Now lets look at another side in the division Norwich.

They sacked David Wagner a man with a proven track record in England and Germany with at least 14 years experience and replaced him with someone who has managed for a single year, in Denmark, has never won a trophy, and has never played professional football or coached in England. That's a risk. Ours was just some measly attempt at picking up a manager on an upwards trajectory who wasn't really on an upwards trajectory. There are other examples besides Norwich. We are relative to many of the other sides in the division, above, below and in this one, a safe team. Even in our attempt to take a risk we never go the full 9 yards so we always end up with a boring mid-table result. Where he's just not quite good enough, just like us.

So getting MK Don's nearly relegated is a good job..ok.

The only decent job he has done was the first 10 games of last season when Oxford were in the promotion places. This despite boring the pants off their fans.

I'll caveat that by saying his first season at MKDons was decent but he had 3 exceptional players for that standard. Once they all left he was hapless.

Edited by Sir Geoff
Extra text
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

So getting MK Don's nearly relegated is a good job..ok.

The only decent job he has done was the first 10 games of last season when Oxford were in the promotion places. This despite boring the pants off their fans.

I'll caveat that by saying his first season at MKDons was decent but he had 3 exceptional players for that standard. Once they all left he was hapless.

That's not really what my reply was about and I tried to have the "but it ended up going to shit" for that second season. My point was he had managed to a decent degree in lg1 twice before we hired him we can debate about whether it truly was good/decent/bad but those discussions were had at length when he was hired.

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

McNally felt like a panic buy , I know we had been watching him but days after Dickie got injured we jumped. I did wonder if Manning didn't fancy Naismith, which is fair enough . In that case we were short of a CB. 

⬇️

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

In the last week of the window we found nearly £6m to give Burnley for Twine (after already signing Earthy on loan) & McNally (with Naismith fit).

The Twine thing still annoys me, hardly pulled up trees on loan and after signing Earthy, we would have had a better squad spending that money on a striker. One of Armstrong or Mayulu and then another for about £6m ? Things may have looked different. I doubt Stokes would have done any worse than Twine did Vs Cardiff TBH .

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 07/10/2024 at 16:02, GrahamC said:

It was.

Alex Russell, Richard Keogh & Marcus Stewart were the others. Arguable the first two did ok for us.

He did, but played Orr as a central midfielder.

It was GJ (a proper manager) who converted him into a RB, one who was good enough to get into the Championship divisional team in 07/08.

I am by no means a fan of Tinnion and want him gone but I think it's a bit harsh beating him up about the magnificent 7.

Alex Russell was great.

Marcus Stewart was top scorer in the league above us and everyone was super excited.

Bridges was bloody good but just never fit.

Keogh was OK and went onto better things.

Matt heywood always looked like a good dominant CB for Swindon and personally thought I was a decent signing at the time

Grant Smith wasn't terrible for where we were at the time.

The issue was the manager (Tinnion himself) 

On paper they were pretty decent signings which the majority of the fan base were excited by

• Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

I am by no means a fan of Tinnion and want him gone but I think it's a bit harsh beating him up about the magnificent 7.

Alex Russell was great.

Marcus Stewart was top scorer in the league above us and everyone was super excited.

Matt heywood always looked like a good dominant CB for Swindon and personally thought I was a decent signing at the time

On paper they were pretty decent signings which the majority of the fan base were excited by

That’s fair. They all looked like good signings at the time. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe.

i dont for one minute believe either of them would have wanted one, not in the td capacity there is now. they are both professional enough to ask for help in a certain dept if needed but they wouldnt have considered themselves needing that kind of help.

my guess would be that they were told they were having a TD,  whether they liked it or not. might even go towards PAs departure, he knew what he was doing and wouldnt have needed any help from a trainee

i could be miles off in my thoughts here, something we can discuss next time we meet up Dave👍😉

1 hour ago, Littlesh*t said:

Alex Russell was great.

Bridges wasn’t bloody good, he couldn’t give a **** & on more than one occasion when he wasn’t “fit” was then seen in a nightclub in Clifton that evening.

I notice you didn’t include Dave Partridge, wonder why?

Grant Smith did absolutely nothing for us.

There was certainly a lot of excitement about signing Stewart, true. Sadly his legs had gone & GJ rightly quickly moved him on.

Keogh had an excellent career, Tinnion barely played him though.

You’re spot on about him being a shite manager.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bridges wasn’t bloody good, he couldn’t give a **** & on more than one occasion when he wasn’t “fit” was then seen in a nightclub in Clifton that evening.

There was certainly a lot of excitement about signing Stewart, true. Sadly his legs had gone & GJ rightly quickly moved him on.

Agree to disagree on Bridges, I didn't say he was good for us I said he was bloody good but not fit. Being injured doesn't stop a player being a dick and out on the piss either.

Yeah partridge was Shite and about the only thing I remember was him playing basket ball in the penalty area at I think Bournemouth. I didn't leave him out to strengthen a point he was a person I had never heard of before signing and I was just highlighting 6 out of 7 most were happy with pre season.

He was a shite manager and I hated seeing it to be honest as he was one of my "heroes" as a kid and hated being at Swansea for the 7-1. 

What he has done in the last 18 months or so though is what has made me lose all respect for him and the things I have heard since about some of his actions

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Randy Marsh II said:

SL tends to get obsessed with some of the men he's employed. 

GJ's sacking being like a funeral. Dying on the LJ hill, getting all upset and telling the fans well it's my money.

Tinnion is another of his obsessions, to be employed once in such an important role was dumb, just laughable the second time. 

I would say SL is easily sweet talked by ass lickers, it's his love language, and he can easily fall in love with them. Any normal self respecting bloke like Cotts or Pearson and SL just feels unloved and can't warm to them. 

Cotts wanted three players he gave talk bollox sixty odd players .

57 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Graham C, you and I shall become best friends. Nailed that. 

48 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

Agree to disagree on Bridges, I didn't say he was good for us I said he was bloody good but not fit. Being injured doesn't stop a player being a dick and out on the piss either.

Yeah partridge was Shite and about the only thing I remember was him playing basket ball in the penalty area at I think Bournemouth. I didn't leave him out to strengthen a point he was a person I had never heard of before signing and I was just highlighting 6 out of 7 most were happy with pre season.

He was a shite manager and I hated seeing it to be honest as he was one of my "heroes" as a kid and hated being at Swansea for the 7-1. 

What he has done in the last 18 months or so though is what has made me lose all respect for him and the things I have heard since about some of his actions

He was my favourite player in that era, I loved watching him play, wand of a left foot and the season he did has hamstring v Oxford towards end he was deservedly the League One player of the season (what a goal at Stoke away in that third kit we only wore once!). However these days I have more respect for someone like Holloway I’m sad to say, as genuinely feel since the alleged Wilson debacle he’s let himself down (saw Holloway by the way the other week at a charity match and had a good laugh and banter with him - had strong opinions on what is wrong at this club!, in fact both Bristol clubs!!!). 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Ultimately it’s not what many on here THINK that counts, what happens ON THE PITCH is the only thing that matters. The jury is out on that.

Armstrong will improve but not sure how that will translate this season, Fally is very much on the outers so far, Earthy has barely kicked a ball, McNally is improving by the game which I expected, Bird will be a good signing, Yu also looks like he will be a good acquisition and Twine has to give us far more tbh. The Academy/early year Pro’s is currently reduced to NIL utilisation. I can see why many have concerns tbh.

So shocking is OTT but mixed bag and slightly underwhelming SO FAR isn’t. There does come a point though where if it continues to be underwhelming it’s on Tinnion’s recruitment and/or Manning’s ability to get a tune out of them.

Football is a harsh business, ask Nigel Pearson, and there is no reason for Junior, Tinnion and Manning to be judged less harshly (or the opposite IF they PRODUCE) than anyone else. The hierarchy ripped it up so what transpires is on them either way.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Ultimately it’s not what many on here THINK that counts, what happens ON THE PITCH is the only thing that matters. The jury is out on that.

Armstrong will improve but not sure how that will translate this season, Fally is very much on the outers so far, Earthy has barely kicked a ball, McNally is improving by the game which I expected, Bird will be a good signing, Yu also looks like he will be a good acquisition and Twine has to give us far more tbh. The Academy/early year Pro’s is currently reduced to NIL utilisation. I can see why many have concerns tbh.

So shocking is OTT but mixed bag and slightly underwhelming SO FAR isn’t. There does come a point though where if it continues to be underwhelming it’s on Tinnion’s recruitment and/or Manning’s ability to get a tune out of them.

Football is a harsh business, ask Nigel Pearson, and there is no reason for Junior, Tinnion and Manning to be judged less harshly (or the opposite IF they PRODUCE) than anyone else. The hierarchy ripped it up so what transpires is on them either way.

I wrote this over the past couple of days:

https://www.osibpodcast.com/posts/recruiting-on-paper/

I think some of your points above are resonated in my piece, especially para 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I agree, my point was aimed at the OP OTT statement about being a shocking summer and how fickle fans are to jump ship after only a few weeks.

Of course what happens on the pitch will define lots of peoples futures either negatively or positively. I still think we have brought in an exciting mix of players, Armstrong and Fally are both gambles, but without being able to chuck big money at a proven striker then that's where we are, but both look to have something that can be developed.

Problem is we have brought in a number of players, and sometimes it takes time to click, we have been unfortunate to lose Dickie who added a lot to our defence, I think Manning is still trying to find his best formation and starting line up, I guess what works in training or theory is not quite clicking on the pitch yet on match days.

I did not want manning, but think we need to give it to the New Year and see if we look like progressing, perhaps this year we may do it the other way around and start poorly but finish strong. I can think of a number of teams who have been on relegation form before xmas only to go on and make the play offs or get promoted, and not by changing the manager

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Bridge's was out for weeks claiming he picked up a injury walking his dog 

Similar to an injury picked by Darryl Clarke I think? Might be getting mixed up and it was the dog that got injured?

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I did say most and not all, although I dont remember reading many saying it was a bad window although their were concerns about lack of goals

I was concerned about signing Twine. I didn’t think his heart was in coming here, just after last season’s showing. I’m no expert so just bow to the expert judgement on here.

I guess my real concern was whether LM could deal with it in reality. That’s been my concern since he came in and BT took control. The only way to find out is to let it play out, I don’t have the answers. It’s all on them. I’m not taking responsibility for any of it.

Edited by exAtyeoMax

Yep, I admit, could see some green shoots early on, that, despite expressing grave reservations all summer about the lack of a genuine goal scoring threat. However, that early season optimism has well and truly disappeared.

If one, or other, of the lone forward ‘projects’ had demonstrated they had ability to be that 15 goal a season man and Twine had shown he could add another 12 goals by Beckham style free kicks and gut busting, explosive runs into the box and, generally, provide quality assists and linking up the forward play we may be now on a different page.

The reality is dawning that the ‘projects’ are just that… and as for a Twine, currently, the less said the better. 

So, we are back to where we started, minus Tommy and net £6million. Indeed, it could be argued in an even worse state as Tommy has gone and Wells is another year older with little, if any, £££s left in the Bank of Steve to fix things. Our goal scoring threat is almost non-existent. A bloated squad, some of whom I suspect are already regretting their decision to move here (Roberts, Bird to name but two), full of very average and increasingly looking like lightweight players, with no goal scorer. Add a stubborn manager who persists with the likes of Anis and there is only one likely outcome from that combination.

We can turn it around. It might, by some stroke of luck, suddenly gel. Boro has been a happy hunting ground for us, about time we beat Leeds …. Fally, given a run of games, may prove the answer to the goal drought. Twine may suddenly become that No10 that we thought Manning was going to deliver. 

Please let that happen. Surely, we can’t of made the mistakes of previous ‘technical’ managers that we’ve all had to endure all over again. Another cycle of ‘dismantle, build, fail’ will be difficult to swallow. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Yep, I admit, could see some green shoots early on, that, despite expressing grave reservations all summer about the lack of a genuine goal scoring threat. However, that early season optimism has well and truly disappeared.

If one, or other, of the lone forward ‘projects’ had demonstrated they had ability to be that 15 goal a season man and Twine had shown he could add another 12 goals by Beckham style free kicks and gut busting, explosive runs into the box and, generally, provide quality assists and linking up the forward play we may be now on a different page.

The reality is dawning that the ‘projects’ are just that… and as for a Twine, currently, the less said the better. 

So, we are back to where we started, minus Tommy and net £6million. Indeed, it could be argued in an even worse state as Tommy has gone and Wells is another year older with little, if any, £££s left in the Bank of Steve to fix things. Our goal scoring threat is almost non-existent. A bloated squad, some of whom I suspect are already regretting their decision to move here (Roberts, Bird to name but two), full of very average and increasingly looking like lightweight players, with no goal scorer. Add a stubborn manager who persists with the likes of Anis and there is only one likely outcome from that combination.

We can turn it around. It might, by some stroke of luck, suddenly gel. Boro has been a happy hunting ground for us, about time we beat Leeds …. Fally, given a run of games, may prove the answer to the goal drought. Twine may suddenly become that No10 that we thought Manning was going to deliver. 

Please let that happen. Surely, we can’t of made the mistakes of previous ‘technical’ managers that we’ve all had to endure all over again. Another cycle of ‘dismantle, build, fail’ will be difficult to swallow. 

That will keep happening unless we get new owners.

16 minutes ago, RedRock said:

If twine got 12 goals and multiple assists - hes not at bristol city next season.

34 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I honestly don’t think it’s the players being average.  I think we have some good players.

I honestly think it’s the system / set-up / approach, coupled with a question mark over whether the players fit this or not.

I think we are seeing a head-coach who has one fundamental idea / philosophy on how his teams must play.  That might be flexed a bit here, a bit there, but it’s still one main way.  And it doesn’t really work in the hurly-burly of the Championship unless you have PP funded players.

A N Other manager with a skillset to flex the approach to the players available will probably get more out of this group.

That may seem like I’m squaring this firmly on Liam Manning’s shoulders.  That’s because I am.

• Like 15