IGNORED

Tinnion - how has SL made a mistake with him again

There is a simple way to know if Tinnion is the right man for the job and that's to ask yourself this question, if we were bought out tomorrow by someone with ambition and a drive to push this club forward who would they keep in the senior roles? I think Tinnion would be first on the list to be removed, Jon Lansdown too as the new owner would not want someone who designs so much garbage and seems proud about it at the top of their team.

Tinnion would not get into any other club is a senior position these days, not even in the smaller clubs, his resume screams out "good with young players, shit at everything else" and his arrogance and petulance make us look amateur at best. I also think it's telling that all the players who have left us and talked positively about the club never mention Brian as a positive. Surely if the man is so good at his job there would be some other clubs looking at him or players praising the work that he's done, but since his promotion there are none.

• Like 11
  • Flames 6

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

I also think it's telling that all the players who have left us and talked positively about the club never mention Brian as a positive. Surely if the man is so good at his job there would be some other clubs looking at him or players praising the work that he's done, but since his promotion there are none.

Absolutely. This echoes what I've just posted above. Tellingly, there was an attempt to lure him away some years ago (by FGR, I think), but that was because of his success in the identification and development of young players, at which he is undeniably very good. Nobody would give him a job as DOF, or whatever you want to call it. (Except us, of course.)

• Like 3

On 08/10/2024 at 08:19, BeggyBlaggers said:

We finished 1 point off the play offs....i seem to recall us drawing loads of games where we didnt start playing until we were 2 nil down

Correct BUT... in the context of Danny Wilson finishing third the 2 seasons before, not great really...

1 hour ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

If twine got 12 goals and multiple assists - hes not at bristol city next season.

True. 
not sure what many people’s expectations of Twine would have been for the season in terms of goals and assists, but here’s some stats :

Career to Date (not including City)
Scores a goal every 3 games, gets an assist every 5.5 games. 

This season at City. 
Scores a goal every 6.75 games, gets an assist every 6.75 games. 

His stats are well below his career to date. And that does include his games at Burnley & Hull at this level (thus are comparable).

Perhaps, just saying, that it’s not necessarily Twine which is the problem and he’s playing in an inferior team and/or system/style that’s not getting the best out of him. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

And that's fair enough; don't disagree, up to a point. But ultimately, it still comes back, and always will, to who appointed him, and when and how and why. A manager sacked, along with two very sound senior coaches and a highly respected head of medical, and for what? I'm sorry, I know it's repetitious beyond words, but still some people can't or won't acknowledge the crucial wider context. (I'm not referring to you here, Dave, by the way, but the well-meaning guy who recently started the tread entitled "Negativity" would be a good example.)

The club will not achieve long term success, because the organisational structure required to deliver it is not in place. No properly constituted board of directors with a spread of complimentary expertise and knowledge and experience of the industry, no CEO or equivalent with a background in the game, and people installed in absolutely key roles who don't possess the qualities needed to discharge their duties competently, because the working environment is one in which it's who you know (or who you're closely related to), not what you know, that matters. The lack of professionalism is so glaring it positively screams at you. It couldn't be more obvious and everything else flows from that.   

yep, totally.

• Thanks 1

On 08/10/2024 at 07:43, Randy Marsh II said:

SL tends to get obsessed with some of the men he's employed. 

GJ's sacking being like a funeral. Dying on the LJ hill, getting all upset and telling the fans well it's my money.

Tinnion is another of his obsessions, to be employed once in such an important role was dumb, just laughable the second time. 

I would say SL is easily sweet talked by ass lickers, it's his love language, and he can easily fall in love with them. Any normal self respecting bloke like Cotts or Pearson and SL just feels unloved and can't warm to them. 

I spoke to SL at a Senior Reds lunch a couple of years ago. People were just saying their goodbyes and he was stood alone by the window of the Heineken Lounge looking out at the pitch and stadium.

I asked him if he was proud of his achievements and he beamed as he looked out and said what a wonderful set-up we now had in place. I actually meant the football but he was referring to the stadium. He said we should all be proud of AG.

It's his legacy of course and it will be here when him and me are long gone, but he didn't acknowledge the football standard at all. This was pre Pearson.

I think it's the infrastructure that's his baby rather than the sport.

PS. They were putting up the rugby posts while we spoke so maybe that's why he was beaming.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

True. 
not sure what many people’s expectations of Twine would have been for the season in terms of goals and assists, but here’s some stats :

This season at City. 

His stats are well below his career to date. And that does include his games at Burnley & Hull at this level (thus are comparable).

Perhaps, just saying, that it’s not necessarily Twine which is the problem and he’s playing in an inferior team and/or system/style that’s not getting the best out of him. 

Yep.

Expecting that sort of goal return from Twine, when Nahki Wells has never scored 12 in a season for bristol city, despite being a 'prolific' championship striker, cost 4million and was/is on higher wages - yet he gets a free hit.

Kevin De Bruyne has only scored more than 12 goals in a man city season 3 times...higher level and more goal scorers in the team i know, but his assist record will be off the chart given the strikers hes had in front of him.

Twine doesnt have that luxury. Playing out from the back instantly and naturally means hes dropping deeper.

If twine was a Gould/Pearson signing, even at 3.7mill - not a word would be said on his performances so far

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

Yep.

Expecting that sort of goal return from Twine, when Nahki Wells has never scored 12 in a season for bristol city, despite being a 'prolific' championship striker, cost 4million and was/is on higher wages - yet he gets a free hit.

Kevin De Bruyne has only scored more than 12 goals in a man city season 3 times...higher level and more goal scorers in the team i know, but his assist record will be off the chart given the strikers hes had in front of him.

Twine doesnt have that luxury. Playing out from the back instantly and naturally means hes dropping deeper.

If twine was a Gould/Pearson signing, even at 3.7mill - not a word would be said on his performances so far

Red - have we chased the wrong guy for the way we want to play and who he plays with / services, then?

Blue - Really?  We spent £500k on Cornick and he got loads!!!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Harry said:

True. 

This season at City. 

To be fair those goal stats are slightly disproportionated by the MK Dons season where he got 33 goals or assists in 47 games

At League One, his overall record was a goal every 2.7 games and an assist every 4.5 games (72 games 27 goals and 16 assists)

At this level, his overall record is a goal every 5.7 games and an assist every 11.4 (57 games, 10 goals and 5 assists) so is half as good as the level below. And that includes playing in a Burnley side who were the best in the league and therefore you’d expect better involvement.

I’m not a fan - that’s clear - and I do take the point that he’s playing with inferior players to Burnley. Your real question is, based on his overall record to date at this level, is a likely total goal involvement of 12 (8 goals, 4 assists) over 46 games enough to make him your key man - and if that is what you expect from your key man for goal involvements, I’d argue you’re likely to be relegated.

To be fair, I think the flaw here is more in Liam and his judgement that Scott has what it takes to be a top player at this level. I’m not convinced he does, and setting up the team around him is - based on the stats - a bit of an issue.

No issue with him being a fantastic league one player or (attitude notwithstanding) being able to do a job at this level. But that’s all it is - a job. Not a pedestal.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Red - have we chased the wrong guy for the way we want to play and who he plays with / services, then?

Blue - to be fair, I think that’s because Cornick showed in a number of games that he couldn’t really control a ball, couldn’t shoot and generally was a league 1 standard footballer. 

I do think Twine is being judged not on his performances but on other factors. 
He’s “Manning’s marquee signing”. Given Manning is doing a pretty shite job, this adds pressure to the Twine signing. 
The money - As you know Fevs (and I’ve said it on here numerous times), I wouldn’t have paid that much for him. I won’t press the point again, but every penny over the £200k nominal fee we could have signed him for in 2022 is a penny too much. 
If he’d been signed for £200k I think his performances to date would have been wholly more acceptable than £3.7m! 
The price tag adds pressure. Add the Manning factor and sycophancy of the signing and the expectation is huge!! 

As I’ve said before, his performances haven’t been too bad. Not brilliant. But not poor by any means. He’s had 3 shots cleared off the line or last ditch block so could easily have had 3 goals and 4 assists so far. 
Twine is definitely NOT the problem. The fee adds pressure. The Manning balls up adds pressure. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

That's one-eyed agenda-serving rubbish, put forward without offering a shred of credible supporting evidence. It's also hypocritical, in that it does exactly what defenders of Pearson are being implicitly accused of - i.e. taking a completely distorted, one sided view and interpreting everything in that light. (And succinctly and effectively discredited by Dave's example of Cornick.)

OTIB at its polarised, biased and divisive worst, encapsulated within a single sentence.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

Isn't there a stat out there that Twine is in the top decile of chance creation in the championship and we are something like top ten in terms of chances missed in the championship? Might be that Twine is creating chances but other players aren't putting it in the back of the net. If he had more assists we might say that he is worth the money, but it takes someone to stick it in the net too.

Disclaimer - this is looking at one stat alone, there are obviously other ones that show more important contributions to the team...

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I do think Twine is being judged not on his performances but on other factors. 
He’s “Manning’s marquee signing”. Given Manning is doing a pretty shite job, this adds pressure to the Twine signing. 
The money - As you know Fevs (and I’ve said it on here numerous times), I wouldn’t have paid that much for him. I won’t press the point again, but every penny over the £200k nominal fee we could have signed him for in 2022 is a penny too much. 
If he’d been signed for £200k I think his performances to date would have been wholly more acceptable than £3.7m! 
The price tag adds pressure. Add the Manning factor and sycophancy of the signing and the expectation is huge!! 

As I’ve said before, his performances haven’t been too bad. Not brilliant. But not poor by any means. He’s had 3 shots cleared off the line or last ditch block so could easily have had 3 goals and 4 assists so far. 
Twine is definitely NOT the problem. The fee adds pressure. The Manning balls up adds pressure. 

There is some truth here in the £200k piece and if we’d signed him for less no doubt expectations would be lower.

It goes back to the point of how good our summer business was in the round and if the money spent on Scott (and Luke) would have been better served on a more potent striking threat. And again, I think that’s Liams misjudgement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair those goal stats are slightly disproportionated by the MK Dons season where he got 33 goals or assists in 47 games

At League One, his overall record was a goal every 2.7 games and an assist every 4.5 games (72 games 27 goals and 16 assists)

At this level, his overall record is a goal every 5.7 games and an assist every 11.4 (57 games, 10 goals and 5 assists) so is half as good as the level below. And that includes playing in a Burnley side who were the best in the league and therefore you’d expect better involvement.

I’m not a fan - that’s clear - and I do take the point that he’s playing with inferior players to Burnley. Your real question is, based on his overall record to date at this level, is a likely total goal involvement of 12 (8 goals, 4 assists) over 46 games enough to make him your key man - and if that is what you expect from your key man for goal involvements, I’d argue you’re likely to be relegated.

To be fair, I think the flaw here is more in Liam and his judgement that Scott has what it takes to be a top player at this level. I’m not convinced he does, and setting up the team around him is - based on the stats - a bit of an issue.

No issue with him being a fantastic league one player or (attitude notwithstanding) being able to do a job at this level. But that’s all it is - a job. Not a pedestal.

Champ stats without City. 
Hull : 1806 minutes. 4 goals. 3 assists. 
Burnley : 555 minutes. 3 goals. 1 assist. 

Goal every 337 minutes. Every 3.75 games. 
Assists every 590 minutes. Every 6.5 games. 

This season for City he is behind on these Champ level metrics. 

I agree with the sentiment that a team shouldn’t be built around him. Liam and Brian were both dogged in their pursuit of him as the ‘missing part of the jigsaw’. As if his signing would solve every other problem in the squad. 
Never gonna happen. Particularly when you sign other players in the same window who don’t suit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

As I’ve said before, his performances haven’t been too bad. Not brilliant. Bit not poor by any means. He’s had 3 shots cleared off the line or last ditch block so could easily have had 3 goals and 4 assists so far. 

I agree.  I do think price tag drives expectation from fans (me inc), but then again when the Head-Coach, TD and Chairman were tossing themselves off all summer about signing him, it kinda goes with the territory.

They basically put their blinkers on and focussed too much on getting Twine.  They should’ve made him their first signing and everything flow from that.  If Burnley couldn’t agree to a fee or match our timescales, then you move on.  That for me is the biggest failure of the summer.  If you get Twine done then still buy Mayulu and Armstrong, you’ve done it knowing 💯 it is to play with Twine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly don’t think it’s the players being average.  I think we have some good players.

I honestly think it’s the system / set-up / approach, coupled with a question mark over whether the players fit this or not.

I think we are seeing a head-coach who has one fundamental idea / philosophy on how his teams must play.  That might be flexed a bit here, a bit there, but it’s still one main way.  And it doesn’t really work in the hurly-burly of the Championship unless you have PP funded players.

A N Other manager with a skillset to flex the approach to the players available will probably get more out of this group.

That may seem like I’m squaring this firmly on Liam Manning’s shoulders.  That’s because I am.

Wouldn’t disagree, we do have some good players. Everything though unravels if you don’t have consistent goal scorers. The rot starts from the head. We’ve been here before, no goals and confidence and desire ebbs away from midfield, then defence and keeper… which is what we are beginning to see. 

I don’t see - whatever system we play - that, currently, Armstrong is going to deliver a hatful of goals. We know Wells isn’t prolific, Bell injured and doubt he’ll ever be a consistent scorer in the Championship, that leaves Fally … who doesn’t seem to be rated by the management, at least judged on game time. 

So I’m not quite sure what system we could play to score enough goals to survive currently. Two up top maybe, but that still doesn’t address the issue we haven’t players who are sharp and/or talented enough to put the ball in the net. 

Goes back to the transfer priorities in the summer, which despite declaring that  addressing lack of goals was our main focus, delivered two cheap ‘project’ strikers… yet, late on, we found £5-6 million behind the back of the sofa to fund the Burnley pair. Going back to LJs ‘kid in the sweet shop’ transfer strategy days I fear.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Goes back to the transfer priorities in the summer, which despite declaring that  addressing lack of goals was our main focus, delivered two cheap ‘project’ strikers… yet, late on, we found £5-6 million behind the back of the sofa to fund the Burnley pair. Going back to LJs ‘kid in the sweet shop’ transfer strategy days I fear.  

I’d love the question to be asked at the forum as to whether we paid (without disclosing the actual fee) enough less for Twine by buying when we did to justify not having him in the door by paying at the start of the window.

Inherently though this is the crux of it - we had £x to spend in the summer. Considering what the needs were of the squad, did we spend that in the most appropriate way when the window had closed? The initial evidence is we’ve overpaid for Twine and (partially) as a result are short of solving other issues we had

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Wouldn’t disagree, we do have some good players. Everything though unravels if you don’t have consistent goal scorers. The rot starts from the head. We’ve been here before, no goals and confidence and desire ebbs away from midfield, then defence and keeper… which is what we are beginning to see. 

I don’t see - whatever system we play - that, currently, Armstrong is going to deliver a hatful of goals. We know Wells isn’t prolific, Bell injured and doubt he’ll ever be a consistent scorer in the Championship, that leaves Fally … who doesn’t seem to be rated by the management, at least judged on game time. 

So I’m not quite sure what system we could play to score enough goals to survive currently. Two up top maybe, but that still doesn’t address the issue we haven’t players who are sharp and/or talented enough to put the ball in the net. 

Yep, it feels a bit of a mess doesn’t it?

For me, it is the near one-dimensional nature of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

And that's fair enough; don't disagree, up to a point. But ultimately, it still comes back, and always will, to who appointed him, and when and how and why. A manager sacked, along with two very sound senior coaches and a highly respected head of medical, and for what? I'm sorry, I know it's repetitious beyond words, but still some people can't or won't acknowledge the crucial wider context. (I'm not referring to you here, Dave, by the way, but the well-meaning guy who recently started the tread entitled "Negativity" would be a good example.)

The club will not achieve long term success, because the organisational structure required to deliver it is not in place. No properly constituted board of directors with a spread of complimentary expertise and knowledge and experience of the industry, no CEO or equivalent with a background in the game, and people installed in absolutely key roles who don't possess the qualities needed to discharge their duties competently, because the working environment is one in which it's who you know (or who you're closely related to), not what you know, that matters. The lack of professionalism is so glaring it positively screams at you. It couldn't be more obvious and everything else flows from that.   

👏👏👏👏👏👏

(S.U.A.F.O.)

4 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Absolutely. This echoes what I've just posted above. Tellingly, there was an attempt to lure him away some years ago (by FGR, I think), but that was because of his success in the identification and development of young players, at which he is undeniably very good. Nobody would give him a job as DOF, or whatever you want to call it. (Except us, of course.)

I'm not sure if that interest was ever genuine. 

They apparently approached him for a director of football role and then just a few weeks later we appoint him in a comparable role as technical director. 

Seems a but hmmmm to me. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Red - well the way we play isnt down to twine...... who he plays with isnt down to twine (unless its a scuttle down an alley way to pass the time)

Blue - cornick was a panic buy to 'replace' semenyo. That was never going to end well and tbh, Cornick isnt actually a bad player, hes not a starter but he puts a shift in when he does play.

Judging twine on his assists when hes supplying Armstrong, who only has 6 professional goals more than us, is somewhat harsh.

If we played more positive, open and expansive football, he'd have a much more positive influence on the game

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

You are spot on.........I am incredulous at way this club is run on occasions?   The investment in a goalscorer can take the pressure off of the rest of the team, midfielders can gain confidence, and defenders can play knowing that they have someone upfront that can produce a goal.  Whereas if chances are being squandered or are non exsistent it puts pressure on the rest of team not to concede?  As you state, it was miraculous (Ha!) that they found 5 mill down the back of the sofa when needed, I am not knocking Armstrong or Mayulu, but they are 2 young inexperienced strikers, who will hopefully come good.  But our major investment should have been for a more experienced goalscoring striker, who could have been then backed up with a youngster, someone who can bring some goals to a team is invaluable, for me it should have been the number one priority?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

That's one-eyed agenda-serving rubbish, put forward without offering a shred of credible supporting evidence. It's also hypocritical, in that it does exactly what defenders of Pearson are being implicitly accused of - i.e. taking a completely distorted, one sided view and interpreting everything in that light. (And succinctly and effectively discredited by Dave's example of Cornick.)

OTIB at its polarised, biased and divisive worst, encapsulated within a single sentence.  

Maybe i should have said 'no where near as much' to be diplomatic

10 minutes ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

Red - well the way we play isnt down to twine...... who he plays with isnt down to twine (unless its a scuttle down an alley way to pass the time)

Blue - cornick was a panic buy to 'replace' semenyo. That was never going to end well and tbh, Cornick isnt actually a bad player, hes not a starter but he puts a shift in when he does play.

Judging twine on his assists when hes supplying Armstrong, who only has 6 professional goals more than us, is somewhat harsh.

If we played more positive, open and expansive football, he'd have a much more positive influence on the game

That’s why I’m not laying blame at Twine’s feet!

+++++

Cornick was to replace Chris Martin, not Semenyo.  We couldn’t afford to replace Semenyo, that money was to cover FFP.  Pearson told us this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’d love the question to be asked at the forum as to whether we paid (without disclosing the actual fee) enough less for Twine by buying when we did to justify not having him in the door by paying at the start of the window.

Inherently though this is the crux of it - we had £x to spend in the summer. Considering what the needs were of the squad, did we spend that in the most appropriate way when the window had closed? The initial evidence is we’ve overpaid for Twine and (partially) as a result are short of solving other issues we had

It doesn't matter what question you would like to be asked at the forum.

They will have already selected the questions to be asked of them before anyone turns up. 

Just like any dictatorship PR exercise in history.

33 minutes ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

Cornick was brought in to replace Martin., not Semenyo.

And ref one of your earlier posts, Wells has never been prolific and mist people on here thought Burnley had pulled our pants down on that deal ( sound familiar).

• Like 1

On 07/10/2024 at 16:35, BS15_RED said:

We’re the only Championship club that would appoint him to such a key role. He was in a job he was great at in the academy, he’d rebuilt his legacy with the fan base after what was a disastrous spell as manager.  

All I can deduce from the things I hear about him is that he’s a grade A s**thouse. Reading  Danny Wilson’s autobiography, he said Tinnion replaced him as manager, he phoned him singing “The King is dead, long live the King” I mean how much of muppet have you got to be to do something like that?

He must of been instrumental in getting rid of Nige, it seems he’s had SL’s ear for years, even when he was a player, and has no loyalty to anyone. 

danny wilson said he must have been part of his sacking so yes,totally agree with you that he was partly behind nige going. one can only hope that lansdown sees him as just another turd that can be flushed down the loo if things dont work out. it also tells how cowardly SL was about the actual sacking. 

ps, i was a bit shocked by your statement so i bought the book,im looking forward to reading the rest of it now but chapter 19 says all you need to know about BT.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

danny wilson said he must have been part of his sacking so yes,totally agree with you that he was partly behind nige going. one can only hope that lansdown sees him as just another turd that can be flushed down the loo if things dont work out. it also tells how cowardly SL was about the actual sacking. 

ps, i was a bit shocked by your statement so i bought the book,im looking forward to reading the rest of it now but chapter 19 says all you need to know about BT.

My jaw dropped when I read it mate, I remember Tinnion being very vocal in his disapproval of Danny Wilson getting a standing ovation from us when he came back for the first time after with MK Dons, a game where DW refused to shake his hand. 

I genuinely thought he’d changed when he came back to the academy, but I guess it’s true that leopards don’t change their spots.  With regards to SL, what is it they say? The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

• Like 4
  • Flames 1