IGNORED

OSIB #257

petehinton

Del - there’s not enough movement.

I’d add, not enough movement with purpose!  Again, watching the Sunderland / Leeds gane, the amount of purposeful runs both teams made, often not to receive the ball, but to move opponents around, create space for the player on the ball.

• Like 5

That was almost as hard a listen as the game was to watch! Quite rightly, very critical and the sense of hopelessness felt by the fans is well reflected.

I think the issue is that we've lost James, Weinmann and King, but not brought in anything like that depth of experience - so regardless of how good the replacement players are, the level of experience and leadership they brought has gone. And Manning's not got enough experience himself to be able to turn things around.

I got chilling flashbacks to when Millen was in charge yesterday...

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Del - there’s not enough movement.

I’d add, not enough movement with purpose!  Again, watching the Sunderland / Leeds gane, the amount of purposeful runs both teams made, often not to receive the ball, but to move opponents around, create space for the player on the ball.

We are statues. Its awful!

Yeah it was brilliant, a fair bit of interrupting at times but that does happen! Thought the early point on re: the type of squad we have or 'clubs in the bag' as LJ put it, that was spot on.

Ultimately if the club are going to sack NP with the aim of getting fully behind and backing the new manager and his favoured plan/system, like they have, then surely they work to that plan. Given that point, how have we ended up once again in a position where we are furiously sticking to a system that a fair few of our signings either clearly don't fit into, or will be so far down the pecking order they are effectively useless?

It's frankly bizarre and such a colossal and avoidable waste of money, yet again

• Robin 1

54 minutes ago, Tecknical Director said:

Thought Cam had broken his leg after listening the pod!!!!! Ellie said his leg was at a funny angle. Glad I checked, scared the hell out of me, as it’s a gashed ankle. Don't do that to me ffs. 🤦‍♂️ 

In fairness, I also said it and being behind it in the south stand they were doing all they could to not move his leg which isn’t a good sign at all. It sounds like it’s a gash, which is better, but the amount of care they were giving & the fact they had to stretcher him off still suggests it’s a ******* deep one!

I'LL post this in the FBC thread and the OSIB thread as I have just listened to both (not quite finished OSIB, but sound of the City came on, but will)

@headhunter I thought you personally were great, until your throw away comment regarding the agenda crew at the end....Most who listen to your show, and I know you threw out some stats at the end, think your pod is the agenda crew. 

Ian is, and has been for a long time obsessed with Nigel Pearson. It's a bit insane. Now Mark is saying the same stuff. Mark's little comment about a website that he doesn't go to anymore was ok...We have all been a bit fed up with what we have read here sometime, but the idea there are hundreds of Nigel Pearson must return headcasers spewing anti Mr Manning bile is insane as is Ian's long term obsession. On the other hand OSIB in the first half of the pod didn't even mention the bloke (Mr Pearson) and spoke well about what was in fact in front of us. 

So to the game, we were boring. Our players were statues for long periods, scared to try something and are following the orders given by the manager. For a decent synopsis the OSIB guys did a good job!

The Sound of the City so far has followed its usual position. Its the supporters fault for booing rubbish! Sorry but I don't blame anyone for letting their feelings known, this manager and players are not nine years of age. Owers was great when he talked about this exact issue. The players and the manger know they have been crap and thoroughly deserve to know what the customer thinks. 

I can see where the agendas are as many do. Mr Manning and the squad's agenda is play better, win games and don't serve up rubbish I hope!

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Hi all,

Weve also dusted off the website, to repurpose and make it more of a home for written, blog content on different topics. 

First up, the one and only @Davefevs analyses summer recruitment and playing style. 

There’ll be more of this to come, and if you’d like to get involved with any writing please drop me a DM!

https://www.osibpodcast.com/posts/recruiting-on-paper/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, FNQ said:

Good honest assessment there by people that care.. damning really.

Ellie.. “The booing is a reflection of …..  It’s crap.” 👏👍

Refreshing to not to have to listen to “the agenda brigade” nonsense being wheeled out to fit a narrative.

• Like 7

I think overall, what an on point overview of where we are.

We can’t score.

We can’t defend.

We surrender possession too easily in critical areas of the pitch.

There is no movement.

I disagree with Del, when he mentioned a lack commitment, I don’t see that at all. I see the players looking a bit confused and not understanding what they’re supposed to be doing. Which, is the most damning part of Mannings reign (IMO). You’ve got experienced pro’s, who are playing the ball sideways, backwards, and then back the other way time and again. I don’t mind when it’s done with purpose. But we’re so slow. Sat in the Lansdown, up high you can SEE the passes, and if they’re hit with purpose across the back at pace then Yu would have been 1v1 on his defender MULTIPLE times in the first half.

We’re so much better playing with passion, disrupting the opposition, breaking up play and playing on instinct. We did this in the latter stages of the second half (when even McNally popped up on the left wing 🤣 - which he probably got a bollocking for), by which time the game had gone.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I disagree with Del, when he mentioned a lack commitment, I don’t see that at all. I see the players looking a bit confused and not understanding what they’re supposed to be doing. Which, is the most damning part of Mannings reign (IMO). You’ve got experienced pro’s, who are playing the ball sideways, backwards, and then back the other way time and again. I don’t mind when it’s done with purpose. But we’re so slow. Sat in the Lansdown, up high you can SEE the passes, and if they’re hit with purpose across the back at pace then Yu would have been 1v1 on his defender MULTIPLE times in the first half.

I don’t know if it’s confused or worried about not following patterns?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t know if it’s confused or worried about not following patterns?

Might be right there @Davefevs - could actually be both too 🫣

I also had a thought about the level of experience and leadership in the team. We basically have none. It’s almost like Manning is operating in a vacuum. Nobody is challenging what he’s doing - and if they are - at best it will be Tinnion (who Manning will have easily worked out as a fraud). Wasn’t there a rumour of a player revolt last season, and then we played well for 15 games or so.

We would do well for the same to happen again!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Might be right there @Davefevs - could actually be both too 🫣

I also had a thought about the level of experience and leadership in the team. We basically have none. It’s almost like Manning is operating in a vacuum. Nobody is challenging what he’s doing - and if they are - at best it will be Tinnion (who Manning will have easily worked out as a fraud). Wasn’t there a rumour of a player revolt last season, and then we played well for 15 games or so.

We would do well for the same to happen again!

There were a few stories of “some players” telling Manning “it wasn’t working”, and they went a bit “rogue” against Swansea.  They weren’t “having it” that boos from fans might be construed as being towards them, when all they were doing was following instruction, and “went for it” after Placheta missed at the far post on the hour and the boos got louder.  Dickie header win the game.

Then Manning came out afterwards and said it was his game plan.  Hmmmmm!

Still crap the following week vs WBA…and then miraculously looked different after the break and Easter fixtures.

But all a bit of hearsay, we’ll never know.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There were a few stories of “some players” telling Manning “it wasn’t working”, and they went a bit “rogue” against Swansea.  They weren’t “having it” that boos from fans might be construed as being towards them, when all they were doing was following instruction, and “went for it” after Placheta missed at the far post on the hour and the boos got louder.  Dickie header win the game.

Still crap the following week vs WBA…and then miraculously looked different after the break and Easter fixtures.

Williams’ drive and ‘**** it’ cross to the back stick for McNally on Sunday felt like the above v2, imo. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Williams’ drive and ‘**** it’ cross to the back stick for McNally on Sunday felt like the above v2, imo. 

Was thinking the exact same thing the other day. 

Very similar in that the best passage of the game seemed to come in direct response to the crowd letting everyone know their feelings.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, petehinton said:

In fairness, and I’m not trying to play it down, he only had to get the ball off of Callum O’Dowda! 😂😂😂

• Haha 10

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting Fevs, but perhaps not surprising.

The players won’t be happy about being booed (whether intended for Manning or not) and the lack of accountability from Manning. You’d think if the likes of King or James were still here they’d call him out, but that could be part of the reason they aren’t. 

You do wonder how long it will be before someone does push back though, if not already. Players can get managers sacked, just as fans can. 

• Like 1

On 07/10/2024 at 16:21, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Glad to see McCorie get some recognition I liked what I’ve seen from him every time I’ve seen him play. I think we played 2 mill for him? He has to start really, he gets forward with purpose and he’s hard as nails. Need people like him in the team 

Yep. I was astounded he didnt get a chance at the Euros considering how dog shit the Scottish right backwas

Pete I don’t usually listen to podcasts, but after seeing the comments on both , I listened to both. 
Yours was by far the best, Ellie is so passionate about the club, and reminds me of how I used to be when younger. Ellie keep believing things will get better, after following the club for over 60yrs good times will return( not sure about the Prem though).

• Robin 1

Good episode, but it left me feeling pretty depressed about our current state! Nothing but truth spoken by the contributors though, so sums up exactly where we are sadly

I found myself wondering whether even Dave Skinner could've turned that episode into a more upbeat listen... I concluded no, which is saying something 😕

2 hours ago, Bobby girl said:

Pete I don’t usually listen to podcasts, but after seeing the comments on both , I listened to both. 
Yours was by far the best, Ellie is so passionate about the club, and reminds me of how I used to be when younger. Ellie keep believing things will get better, after following the club for over 60yrs good times will return( not sure about the Prem though).

What a lovely message! Thank you, and hopefully this gets you listening to podcasts more generally, more frequently :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

What a lovely message! Thank you, and hopefully this gets you listening to podcasts more generally, more frequently :) 

Sorry to hijack your post slightly Pete but I'm in a similar boat, don't really listen to too many (OSIB being one of about 3 or 4!), so any recommendations from people (via DM if easier) would be appreciated. Somehow I'm still a dinosaur when it comes to these...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, One Team said:

@petehinton a superb episode and a great listen from 3 fans with their finger on the pulse of things right now. Far more insight than other Podcasts and broadcasters of late.  

TBH if you’ve lost someone like Ellie you really are done for. 

What do you mean if you’ve lost someone like Ellie? Don’t know her personally but her posts always appear on Twitter. She’s been critical about City for a long time, last 3 seasons we’ve been in a relegation battle apparently.

If honest, I’ve given up on 3peeps as too aligned with club to be objective and too structured. Stopped listening to Forever as cannot deal with the hypocrisy of Mr Gay now he’s in with our TD.  This was a great listen and Ellie sounded as pissed off as I do and like me cannot see much to be positive about.  Del knows his stuff and came across really well. This podcast was a rerun of conversations that took place post match in cars, pubs and homes.  Well done.👏 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

28 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

What do you mean if you’ve lost someone like Ellie? Don’t know her personally but her posts always appear on Twitter. She’s been critical about City for a long time, last 3 seasons we’ve been in a relegation battle apparently.

Maybe I’ve got the wrong person but I thought she was normally balanced about things and if anything quite supportive of the current regime. 

3 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Sorry to hijack your post slightly Pete but I'm in a similar boat, don't really listen to too many (OSIB being one of about 3 or 4!), so any recommendations from people (via DM if easier) would be appreciated. Somehow I'm still a dinosaur when it comes to these...

What you after? Comedy/crime/entertainment/sport?!

9 hours ago, One Team said:

Maybe I’ve got the wrong person but I thought she was normally balanced about things and if anything quite supportive of the current regime. 

She flipped back and forth over Pearson from what I remember (probably not alone in that tbf) and was highly critical of Manning earlier this year too so I was just curious about the “if you’ve lost people like her”. I personally find her quite knee-jerk rather than balanced but like I say I don’t know her just see her posts on Twitter so maybe that’s harsh.

2 hours ago, One Team said:

@petehinton, just a suggestion, which you may have already considered:

Given the next episode will likely be after the Boro game it might be interesting to discuss and listen to the thoughts on the Fans Forum a couple of days prior? 

Yes, we’ll include time carved out to discuss that 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

She flipped back and forth over Pearson from what I remember (probably not alone in that tbf) and was highly critical of Manning earlier this year too so I was just curious about the “if you’ve lost people like her”. I personally find her quite knee-jerk rather than balanced but like I say I don’t know her just see her posts on Twitter so maybe that’s harsh.

Yep, but perfect for a podcast when mixed with others.  Certainly no agenda, says it as she sees it.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2024 at 10:34, Davefevs said:

Yep, but perfect for a podcast when mixed with others.  Certainly no agenda, says it as she sees it.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the podcast - probably should have said that. Think it summed the mood up well at the moment.

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, Gakoe said:

So glad OSIB is back regularly. The original and still the best. Thanks guys.

It's the only independent one left that isn't afraid to voice it's opinions against the club when needed and not sugar coat or deflect our clubs limitations!

Thanks guys

Edited by frenchred
  • Like 3