IGNORED

His away record

Olé

If memory serves me right. If you take out scraping past ten man Plymouth the last win was away at Boro in February. 
A game where we were brilliant in the first half, but surprise surprise absolutely shocking in the second. That bad that a couple on here were actually concerned even after a win. I think myself and @Davefevs were laughed off this place for stating it was concerning. Turns out we had a right to be………

• Like 5

I would imagine a lot of fans, like me, are wrapped up in the emotional aspects of Manning’s appointment and tenure to date. 

That is, how it feels, how it looks, what’s said, what’s not said, the atmosphere etc. 

Despite all that I was prepared to give him ten games this season, but nothing has really changed in that emotional aspect. 

When you step away from that, as per @Olé’s OP and others in the last couple of days, and look at the data, it is absolutely appalling. 

No fan wants us to fail, that’s one thing I am sure we can all agree on: but it’s very hard to see how Manning can be defended and supported.

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think what’s interesting for me is that the “anger” isn’t abating 48 hours on - and let’s not forget, 48 hours after a draw and not a defeat. 

I felt last season that his time was up and said so. What’s happening this season is different. Every post, every thread is about the record to date in some way - each from a different angle but with significant evidence. And each thread gets to the same conclusion. 

The only three arguments I’ve seen about Liam in the last 48 hours in the positive are real straw man ones:

”It’s Tinnion/Lansdowns fault” (Yes for appointing him but this is his own steam and that’s just conflation)

”I think the football has been better” (Subjective and contestable)

”We haven’t lost that many” (But we haven’t won enough and are sat on a concerning points tally after a favourable start)

Then Rob, and others, come out with another stat like the one in the OP and all those arguments get blown away again.

Every thread. Two days post a draw. This isn’t sustainable.

Yes but remember that “anger” is only evident on here so it doesn’t matter 🤥

• Like 3

The striking thing about these stats that keep popping up is that it’s actually worse than you realise.

I came to the decision in March that he should have been removed and this utterly bizarre chapter in our history just consigned to the bin and we all pretend it never happened, and yet it’s actually even worse than you think. That’s how bad it is.

Said it last season, but the decisions taken a year ago felt like nothing other than self sabotage. The more money and players chucked at it, the longer it is given just makes it worse and just does more damage. He hasn’t got it.

• Like 7

It's a good stat.

Pearson total league PPG at City: 1.18

Pearson total league PPG at City (without the first 14 games cleaning up from Holden): 1.25

Manning total league PPG at City: 1.30

You can say Manning has had more resources, took over a better squad, has a better relationship with the bosses, has had better weather, an easier league. Put all the very relevant context around it that you like, set expectations and KPIs wherever one wants to.

But, ultimately, comparing his wins, losses, PPG etc to the previous manager isn't the way to show him up for failing. I don't think, and I speak as a huge advocate of stats in football, that there is a slam dunk stat that unequivocally shows Manning's failures. This struggle is more nuanced, more enigmatic than that. In this instance I think the eye-test is superior to the stat table.

Oh and the fun stat about Holden winning more games than Manning? Yeh he lost 16 games in his tenure which is *checks notes* more than Manning has lost in his games.

3 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I’ll always struggle to understand the boards decision to replace Pearson with Manning. What a truly awful decision for so many reasons. 

They were two distinct decisions not one single one. Pearson wasn't sacked because they wanted Manning. By all reports Manning wasn't even first choice. 

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

The striking thing about these stats that keep popping up is that it’s actually worse than you realise.

I came to the decision in March that he should have been removed and this utterly bizarre chapter in our history just consigned to the bin and we all pretend it never happened, and yet it’s actually even worse than you think. That’s how bad it is.

Said it last season, but the decisions taken a year ago felt like nothing other than self sabotage. The more money and players chucked at it, the longer it is given just makes it worse and just does more damage. He hasn’t got it.

And also the loss of the previous coaching staff, Curtis and Jason. All that experience chucked out for another vanity project. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Big C said:

At least be fair about it. Pearson never went 10 league games unbeaten at home

Are you happy with how the home games have gone?  Pitiful draws with Weds and Cardiff…..scraping past Oxford.   Millwall as a game was really enjoyable but for wrong reasons in the cold light of day as well as right reasons.  Millwall is the only joy this season……maybe it’s recency bias on my behalf but I don’t think so. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Olé said:

There have been various barmy stats posted in the last 48 hours (worst start to a season for 10 years, Manning vs Holden wins) as I think the penny is now dropping.

Here’s another one. We have played 27 away games in the Championship since the start of last season and have won 6 of them. 3 from Pearson and 3 from Manning. 

Except Manning has done it in three times as many away games. Pearson 3 in 7, Manning 3 in 20. I know everyone is sick of references to NP, but seriously come on:

Screenshot2024-10-08at06_02_18.thumb.png.2bf3df7fb6090e3cbe061cb7981cc141.png

But, but, it’s too small a sample for Pearson. Oh yeah, well let’s do that too then. Where is the accountability from Tinnion or JL for the complete failure of their change.

Screenshot2024-10-08at06_02_41.thumb.png.e76bc19bba3be8266e786bd197d969da.png

Cheers for that Ole. I hope this removes the blinkers for the ever dwindling band of LM supporters….

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Are you happy with how the home games have gone?  Pitiful draws with Weds and Cardiff…..scraping past Oxford.

You forgot the 95th minute penalty equaliser against relegation bound Huddersfield too!

I post these stats as an overlay to my own experiences watching god awful football - not as a substitute.

Being asked to acknowledge Manning's superior AG unbeaten run makes the mistake of assuming I haven't sat through it all. 🥴

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

It wouldn't surprise me at all if all of the supporters on X who are so adamantly that LM is the man to take us forward that none of them go to away matches, and just go to the home games.

Derby 2nd half and Blackburn away was up there with the rubbish served up at the end of Holden's reign.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Are you happy with how the home games have gone?  Pitiful draws with Weds and Cardiff…..scraping past Oxford.   Millwall as a game was really enjoyable but for wrong reasons in the cold light of day as well as right reasons.  Millwall is the only joy this season……maybe it’s recency bias on my behalf but I don’t think so. 

Don't need recency bias. Just think back to last season how we scraped past Huddersfield with a dodgy penalty in the 95th minute or the huffing and puffing to beat bottom of the table Rotherham with a penalty and free kick (that shouldn't have been given after another Twine dive). iirc the Rotherham game was the one where TC dived to win the pen too.

Edited by Sir Geoff
extra text

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's a good stat.

Pearson total league PPG at City: 1.18

Pearson total league PPG at City (without the first 14 games cleaning up from Holden): 1.25

Manning total league PPG at City: 1.30

You can say Manning has had more resources, took over a better squad, has a better relationship with the bosses, has had better weather, an easier league. Put all the very relevant context around it that you like, set expectations and KPIs wherever one wants to.

But, ultimately, comparing his wins, losses, PPG etc to the previous manager isn't the way to show him up for failing. I don't think, and I speak as a huge advocate of stats in football, that there is a slam dunk stat that unequivocally shows Manning's failures. This struggle is more nuanced, more enigmatic than that. In this instance I think the eye-test is superior to the stat table.

Oh and the fun stat about Holden winning more games than Manning? Yeh he lost 16 games in his tenure which is *checks notes* more than Manning has lost in his games.

They were two distinct decisions not one single one. Pearson wasn't sacked because they wanted Manning. By all reports Manning wasn't even first choice. 

95% of matches I've watched us play under Liam Manning have bored me senseless.  And that is a fact....Luckily for Liam, Opta don't carry those stats!  😆

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Oizys said:

95% of matches I've watched us play under Liam Manning have bored me senseless.  And that is a fact....Luckily for Liam, Opta don't carry those stats!  😆

It’s called front foot attacking football, apparently.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Oizys said:

The xZzzzz 😴 stats are through the roof!!!

But seriously…. a top 6 squad only achieving 1.3 ppg? That’s appalling. Fact. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I’ll always struggle to understand the boards decision to replace Pearson with Manning. What a truly awful decision for so many reasons. 

The club is ran by complete muppets. 

Manning cheaper? 🤔

5 hours ago, Jose said:

If memory serves me right. If you take out scraping past ten man Plymouth the last win was away at Boro in February. 
A game where we were brilliant in the first half, but surprise surprise absolutely shocking in the second. That bad that a couple on here were actually concerned even after a win. I think myself and @Davefevs were laughed off this place for stating it was concerning. Turns out we had a right to be………

Bloody hell, didn’t I get some flak for my “great win, but…” thread.

I wasn’t really being critical of the performance, more the case that had we lost, we’d have slipped further out of playoff contention (how I laugh now at that comment).  We almost threw away an opportunity to get back to within one game of equal wins and losses, a mini-milestone.  Had we not won, it would’ve been 6 without a win.  And we defended for our lives (fair play), but that wasn’t the point.  Southampton was next up.  A sliding doors moment that second half against Boro.  That was my frustration at the second half, we stopped playing as we did first half.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bloody hell, didn’t I get some flak for my “great win, but…” thread.

I wasn’t really being critical of the performance, more the case that had we lost, we’d have slipped further out of playoff contention (how I laugh now at that comment).  We almost threw away an opportunity to get back to within one game of equal wins and losses, a mini-milestone.  Had we not won, it would’ve been 6 without a win.  And we defended for our lives (fair play), but that wasn’t the point.  Southampton was next up.  A sliding doors moment that second half against Boro.  That was my frustration at the second half, we stopped playing as we did first half.

We went to a back 3 and pure bunker mode didn't we, our attacking threat petered out in full after about 55 minutes.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Haha 1

Pearson vs Manning comparisons should be made in context, not just on stats.

NP was appointed to get us out of a mess with limited resources and budget (quite successful)

LM was appointed to get us into the top 6 with a good enough squad and with front foot football, and then by being allowed to spend shed loads (dismal failure with no sign it’s going to get better) 

We’re back in a mess. 

• Like 13
  • Flames 4

6 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Pearson vs Manning comparisons should be made in context, not just on stats.

NP was appointed to get us out of a mess with limited resources and budget (quite successful)

LM was appointed to get us into the top 6 with a good enough squad and with front foot football, and then by being allowed to spend shed loads (dismal failure with no sign it’s going to get better) 

We’re back in a mess. 

Agreed.

Some of the comparisons I see by pro Manning, anti Pearson are just bizarre and totally lack context..

"We lost at Cardiff under Pearson" is the daftest I've seen yet.

A) We had 11 players injured.

B) A smaller squad anyway.

C) We were Away not at Home.

D) Cardiff were in a significantly bettrt place than they are at present.

• Like 10

With respect, Manning has in part been distracted by both the win against Southampton, and the launch of the roaring success that is ONYEGO - The Zak Vyner Range.

Sure, Pearson had some tight purse-strings to work with, but did he really have so many other demands to juggle?

Edited by deadredfred
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed.

Some of the comparisons I see by pro Manning, anti Pearson are just bizarre and totally lack context..

"We lost at Cardiff under Pearson" is the daftest I've seen yet.

A) We had 11 players injured.

B) A smaller squad anyway.

C) We were Away not at Home.

D) Cardiff were in a significantly bettrt place than they are at present.

And that was the last time any academy player was given a debut. 2 of them iirc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, 2015 said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if all of the supporters on X who are so adamantly that LM is the man to take us forward that none of them go to away matches, and just go to the home games.

Derby 2nd half and Blackburn away was up there with the rubbish served up at the end of Holden's reign.

They don't go to any. They are at work in the Bristol Sport office.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, deadredfred said:

With respect, Manning has in part been distracted by both the win against Southampton, and the launch of the roaring success that is ONYEGO - The Zak Vyner Range.

Sure, Pearson had some tight purse-strings to work with, but did he really have so many other demands to juggle?

ONYEGO

Presumably everyone is getting fired up for the launch of the Spring 2025 collection.

I personally don't buy into this unbeaten run rubbish. If you draw 10 games in a row you are unbeaten with 10 points. If you win 5 and lose 5 of those 10 you have 15 points. Just to emphasise the point you could go the whole season unbeaten if you draw every game............and be relegated with 46 points!  If you win 16 and lose 30 you have 48 points!  Which would you rather?

• Like 3

There really is no defence of Manning's record. Not sure why we are just looking at away record, his overall record isn't good either. Unfortunately, we are a uniquely patient club that can never make quick decisions involving managers.

I personally think 90% of clubs in the championship would be looking to move on from Manning very soon if results didn't improve or already would've. We likely won't until the situation is really bad. We didn't do it to Pearson either after West Brom on boxing day, where I believe again most teams in the championship probably would've.

Is there something the other clubs do not know about being so patient that we do? Considering our recent history I think not. 

• Thanks 1

The decision not to sack NP was arguably vindicated, as we then fought our way to points at Coventry, Millwall and crucial 2nd half change of shape to 4-3-3 vs Swansea in the Cup..suddenly you have a small unbeaten run building and it buys a bit of time.

We then begun rapidly on a very important day vs Birmgham in Janaury, oh and Semenyo found some form and we actually had a modest Cup run and rose up to midtable while thinning out the squad. 2 months unbeaten give or take.

Some of our underlying numbers were not too bad up to and including the 1st half of WBA at Home. In Home games especially.

Can Manning do the same? Only time will tell. Unsure how much more time he should or will get? A difference is that Manning isn't up against a bit of a ticking FFP clock, has had some room to add a few.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

• Admin
1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

ONYEGO

Presumably everyone is getting fired up for the launch of the Spring 2025 collection.

I'm more interested in a Liam Manning inspired Autumn collection, OFFYEPOP

• Haha 15
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

I knew our away record was bad, but I didn’t realise how bad. Depressing stuff. And it’s difficult to see things improving under LM. I hope they do, but I just can’t see it. It’s been almost a year, he had a pre-season, money has been spent, and we look so poor - both the stats and what we see with our eyes. 

• Flames 1

16 hours ago, Olé said:

There have been various barmy stats posted in the last 48 hours (worst start to a season for 10 years, Manning vs Holden wins) as I think the penny is now dropping.

Here’s another one. We have played 27 away games in the Championship since the start of last season and have won 6 of them. 3 from Pearson and 3 from Manning. 

Except Manning has done it in three times as many away games. Pearson 3 in 7, Manning 3 in 20. I know everyone is sick of references to NP, but seriously come on:

Screenshot2024-10-08at06_02_18.thumb.png.2bf3df7fb6090e3cbe061cb7981cc141.png

But, but, it’s too small a sample for Pearson. Oh yeah, well let’s do that too then. Where is the accountability from Tinnion or JL for the complete failure of their change.

Screenshot2024-10-08at06_02_41.thumb.png.e76bc19bba3be8266e786bd197d969da.png

Nigel is two levels above Manning. The fact the board felt Manning was an upgrade is laughable. Tinnion inspired appointment for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 4

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep.  Of course it was.  Who else could it have been recommending his appointment?  Nobody.

Didn’t like not having the biggest voice at the club clearly. Nigel was sophisticated and could see the issues. Such a shame. So go and appoint a yes man who can be told what to do. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

It really isn’t worthwhile doing any comparison between NP and LM. 

Mr Pearson has gone and unless there is a cataclysm where all vestiges of the current hierarchy are cremated he’s not coming back.

However. Mr Manning is producing dross with good players that are obviously crapping themselves when ever they see the ball and have to make a decision! 

Now if you want to make a meaningful comparison look at LJ v LM

• Like 3

On 08/10/2024 at 08:24, Silvio Dante said:

I think what’s interesting for me is that the “anger” isn’t abating 48 hours on - and let’s not forget, 48 hours after a draw and not a defeat

It would have been easier if we had lost . 
The management at this club is a joke coming from Uncle Steve who hangs on too long to dead ducks and ditches those who have had some success too soon. 
The bloke understands nothing about football. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

On 08/10/2024 at 06:28, Jose said:

Matty James with the winner, to add.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2024 at 10:14, Street red said:

Yep so called but I seen it the south stand Sunday I can't see it getting any better.

I too sit in SS and I can say that people were getting quite angry where I sit. We are all bored, annoyed to see players we know that can play so much better going backwards.

20 hours ago, Offside said:

I knew our away record was bad, but I didn’t realise how bad. Depressing stuff. And it’s difficult to see things improving under LM. I hope they do, but I just can’t see it. It’s been almost a year, he had a pre-season, money has been spent, and we look so poor - both the stats and what we see with our eyes. 

One of the things that particularly annoys me is that at Bristol City we have to sit on our hands and preach patience and some indefinite wait for each bluffer to (never) turn any good.

Yet in the same period managers join other clubs and are the real deal immediately. So here's another stat - managers who have been appointed in the Championship in the past year.

LM has the lowest frequency of away wins of anyone appointed in the Championship in the past 12 months and that includes 3 people who already got sacked (all with better records). 

In addition his peer group (appointed within weeks of him) has more than double the number of away wins so far, while people appointed far more recently are closing on his "3" wins.

image.thumb.png.2fd5095c499175012e858ce65ffaddc4.png

• Like 5

On 08/10/2024 at 08:03, bearded_red said:

And you’ll still get the same Lansdown apologists praising SL for his generosity when he has to plunge in yet more money to compensate for this latest shitshow …... yet another HE’S CREATED through his own shit decision making!

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

And you’ll still get the same Lansdown apologists praising SL for his generosity when he has to plunge in yet more money to compensate for this latest shitshow …... yet another HE’S CREATED through his own shit decision making!

Agreed. If you measure Steve’s reign as owner of the football club on a Value for Money basis it don’t look too pretty.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I think it is a bit of A and a bit of B.

No doubt that he has overspent under LJ, MA era especially and no doubt that we have spent badly but as a persistent Championship Club it will very much cost.

20 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agreed. If you measure Steve’s reign as owner of the football club on a Value for Money basis it don’t look too pretty.

So true NU.  

You’d think after all these years, he’d have learned that to give the best protection to his investment, he should be employing the best qualified professionals in the most important posts.

I don’t know the bloke personally, but he must either have one massive ego and listens to nobody, or is just losing his marbles to keep cocking up so consistently.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think it is a bit of A and a bit of B.

No doubt that he has overspent under LJ, MA era especially and no doubt that we have spent badly but as a persistent Championship Club it will very much cost.

Yes, completey understand maintaining Championship status without parachute payments is really expensive.

I just can’t get past the massive waste caused by chopping and changing managers and plans though, which keep requiring complete rebuilds.

I just wonder how much of his fortune he could have saved by having clear plans and actually sticking to them?  We’ve had more pillars the the Severn Crossing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Yes, completey understand maintaining Championship status without parachute payments is really expensive.

I just can’t get past the massive waste caused by chopping and changing managers and plans though, which keep requiring complete rebuilds.

I just wonder how much of his fortune he could have saved by having clear plans and actually sticking to them?  We’ve had more pillars the the Severn Crossing!

That's next year's shirt sorted.......

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Oizys said:

This is it.  I decided not to renew on the basis that my normal experience of watching City was basically poor or 2 out of 5.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Bard said:

This is it.  I decided not to renew on the basis that my normal experience of watching City was basically poor or 2 out of 5.  

For too many, the best bit of match day is having a beer together, either beforehand to dull the pain of the impending borefest or afterwards to laugh away the mediocrity of it all.

Quite often both.

Too long since we've had a beer before or after either, mind. Hope you're well 👍

Edited by Merrick's Marvels