IGNORED

Buying pattern

We bought Naismith and Cornick from Luton - they then got promoted. Bought Knight and Bird from Derby - they're now ahead of us. Twine and McNally from Burnley - will always be ahead of us this season at least. Should we stick to one player only from a single club 🙄🙄🙄?

44 minutes ago, Harry said:

It’s almost like there’s only certain clubs that our recruitment team and happy to do business with 🤔 

and a lot of other professionally run clubs who wouldn't touch us with a barge pole currently!

• Like 3

Been a concern of mine for some time.

Contacts and or favours/nepotism are certainly a part of the gsme noe.. I don't mean nepotism in a family sense but a Professional Favours angle.

Like @Harry I don't see where the great contacts to tap among our hierarchy now. Tinnion has mostly played for us in the 3rd Tier.. maybe Manning with Earthy? Beyond that, where is that edge or even parity vs a lot of clubs in that regard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Or only certain clubs that are happy to do business with our recruitment team

Indeed. 
And it’s all down to networks, relationships etc. 

I don’t think we are hugely blessed in that area. 
Football has a massive “old boys” culture. If you aren’t “in the game” then you don’t carry much respect. 
We don’t have anyone in our whole operation that’s been “in the game” to any extent, aside from Tinnion. 
That includes the analysts, head analysts, ceo, cfo, chairman etc. everyone. 

Only Tinnion has played pro football out of all of those who would be involved in any recruitment conversations or studies. And I’m not convinced he has much of a network outside of a few. 

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Indeed. 

Football has a massive “old boys” culture. If you aren’t “in the game” then you don’t carry much respect. 
We don’t have anyone in our whole operation that’s been “in the game” to any extent, aside from Tinnion. 

Only Tinnion has played pro football out of all of those who would be involved in any recruitment conversations or studies. And I’m not convinced he has much of a network outside of a few. 

Agree entirely. This is the same point that I and others have within the last hour posted about on the 'Tinnion & SL mistakes' thread, if you haven't clocked it already.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Oh, don’t get me wrong - we’re not in the realms of Mark Ashton mostly doing business through the same agent and getting ‘benefits’ from the deals himself. No. 

More a case of who our team are happy (neé able) do business with because of their incompetence at being able to network successfully in the wider environs. 
I just don’t think we have very established relationships with many other clubs because we have people in charge who haven’t got any experience in football and thus no real “contacts” 

Yes it's a real concern for me - if we ever " got lucky" -  as seems to be SL's strategy - is that our new found Premier League ( stop sniggering at the back) standing would require us to bring in Premier quality recruits to improve the squad and this work would be done by Jon,  Brian and Gillespie....... JL has never worked for anyone but his Dad, BT has, bar a brief spell at Bradford City, only played and managed at City, and the analyst fella rarely leaves his computer screen, and again has never worked at another club.

Fred Karno could do a better job.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Indeed. 

This is a very good point and one I also keep coming back to. How can you build a club with a group of people who have zero experience of where you are trying to get to.

just who is Jon L talking to when he describes referencing people in the game. They took advice from Scudamore , then dump his suggestion after months. Who did tell him the squad was becoming de conditioned during g international breaks ? Based on what ? 

If you were a billionaire buying a Championship club you would most certainly do things very different to us. You hire the best you can in every area don’t you ? We have rarely done that . 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Yes it's a real concern for me - if we ever " got lucky" -  as seems to be SL's strategy - is that our new found Premier League ( stop sniggering at the back) standing would require us to bring in Premier quality recruits to improve the squad and this work would be done by Jon,  Brian and Gillespie....... JL has never worked for anyone but his Dad, BT has, bar a brief spell at Bradford City, only played and managed at City, and the analyst fella rarely leaves his computer screen, and again has never worked at another club.

Brian Tinnion was a player at Newcastle United as well, with a certain Gazza.

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Put that way, it scares the hell out of me to think what could happen to us if we ‘lucked it’ into the Prem via the play-off’s.  

It’s dog eat dog up there and we’d be like lambs to the slaughter with this shower in charge.

4 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Tinnion’s ’friends in football’ would be fairly limited. I recall looking at this before. I don’t think his network would be as big as you might expect. 
From his Newcastle & Bradford days, the only people he’d have played with who are still in the game as managers or coaches would be Michael O’Neill, Paul Stephenson & Tommy Wright - who are all involved with Northern Ireland. 
I don’t think any of his football fraternity from his playing days are in any position of influence at any clubs. A lot of football news travels the grapevines of those whom you know, so if you’ve got a wide network of managers, coaches academy coaches, scouts, agents etc, you can use this to your advantage. 
I don’t think he’s got many people still ‘in the game’ from his playing days. 

And he’s the only one of our staff who has any old boys network at all. The rest are all ‘non’ football people 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 6
  • Flames 2

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Tinnion’s ’friends in football’ would be fairly limited. I recall looking at this before. I don’t think his network would be as big as you might expect. 
From his Newcastle & Bradford days, the only people he’d have played with who are still in the game as managers or coaches would be Michael O’Neill, Paul Stephenson & Tommy Wright - who are all involved with Northern Ireland. 
I don’t think any of his football fraternity from his playing days are in any position of influence at any clubs. A lot of football news travels the grapevines of those whom you know, so if you’ve got a wide network of managers, coaches academy coaches, scouts, agents etc, you can use this to your advantage. 
I don’t think he’s got many people still ‘in the game’ from his playing days. 

And he’s the only one of our staff who has any old boys network at all. The rest are all ‘non’ football people 

Spot on.

Whatever people’s opinion of Pearson it was blindingly obvious he was well known in football & alongside Fleming, Euell & Rennie had masses of contacts.

Numerous opposition managers mentioned this before playing us.

The respect by which he was held where even someone like Corberan with no obvious connection could say very positive things was striking.

We are an incredibly insular club, this was a very rare time when we went for proven over cheap or novice.

Let’s hope we go in that sort of direction again next time & clear out the bluffers & mediocrities.

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Whatever people’s opinion of Pearson it was blindingly obvious he was well known in football & alongside Fleming, Euell & Rennie had masses of contacts.

That’s what made their dismissal so galling. What bunch of complete numpties discard such a vital link in the football world? Unfortunately for us, BCFC bunch of numpties! 

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

27 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

That’s what made their dismissal so galling. What bunch of complete numpties discard such a vital link in the football world? Unfortunately for us, BCFC bunch of numpties! 

everybody in that circle holds each other in very high regard also.so any one can talk to any one or be put in touch with someone who knows someone.

it was massive bonus that came with the last team, now as has been said, we are cast outside of that circle. having said that, they are all professionals so probably wouldnt get on with our people anyway

• Like 5

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

everybody in that circle holds each other in very high regard also.so any one can talk to any one or be put in touch with someone who knows someone.

it was massive bonus that came with the last team, now as has been said, we are cast outside of that circle. having said that, they are all professionals so probably wouldnt get on with our people anyway

Add in Phil A too . What a network he has 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

Numerous opposition managers mentioned this before playing us.

The respect by which he was held where even someone like Corberan with no obvious connection could say very positive things was striking.

It was my opinion that we didn't get penalties because of NP. No proof whatsoever but in some ways I think his rep worked against him.