IGNORED

2012/13 - is history repeating itself, McInnes and Docherty

Manning and Hogg, enough said. I can certainly see a relegation battle ahead, we are a side who cannot score goals, 10 goals in 10 games including the cup (another dull affair) is simply atrocious considering we spent a large chunk of our summer budget investing in alleged creativity and goals. Add in a defence and keeper which this year look suspect, with a Head Coach and assistant who appear one dimensional and can’t change a thing really does remind me of that terrible season which led to our deserved relegation at the time. I truly hope i am wrong but with the run of games coming up and losing key players like Pring/Roberts on the left side we could soon slip into the dreaded drop zone. I honestly can’t see where the goals and wins will come from. 

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, rednotblue said:

McInnes is totally different. Had no money to spend, was given a task more akin to Pearson.

Ultimately did not work but unfair to compare him to Manning

I agree that MacInnes was and is a better manager than Manning but just to note, others on here have called me out when I have suggested that MacInnes had a similar task Tom Pearson. They point out that MacInnes brought in both Baldock and Davies over that summer, while the defence went to pot. Manning has definitely worsened the defence as well, with just one clean sheet so far against a Wednesday team who were generally firing blanks most of the evening, even Barry Bannon!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

56 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I agree that MacInnes was and is a better manager than Manning but just to note, others on here have called me out when I have suggested that MacInnes had a similar task Tom Pearson. They point out that MacInnes brought in both Baldock and Davies over that summer, while the defence went to pot. Manning has definitely worsened the defence as well, with just one clean sheet so far against a Wednesday team who were generally firing blanks most of the evening, even Barry Bannon!

As I recall there was some optimism, going into the latter stages of August. Momentarily top with a 4-2 lunchtime win vs Cardiff and the prior 4-1 vs Crystal Palace- both got promoted that season- but there was a general feeling or consensus that we needed an experienced CB- I seem to recall that Monk was linked but this never materialised.

Goals for us often were still not such a problem although we went through a fairly barren spell too- and Neil Danns made a difference on loan but I forget how long he stayed.

What if we had retained Cisse and signed only one of Baldock and Davies? To help shield the Back 4 was a role for Cisse iirc..

7 hours ago, rednotblue said:

McInnes is totally different. Had no money to spend, was given a task more akin to Pearson.

Nonsense.

Bought Baldock & Davies when we already had Stead & Pitman.

Had money but spent in an area of the team that didn’t need it & brought in some absolute shite from Scotland, Morris, Foster, Mark Wilson.

Done very well in Scotland, poor here.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, rednotblue said:

Don’t fully agree on this, Baldock, Davies, Heaton, Cunningham, Anderson all signed with much excitement from the fans at the time I recall and on good wages. Was another cheap appointment by the board. This HC model doesn’t work in BS3

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nonsense.

Had money but spent in an area of the team that didn’t need it & brought in some absolute shite from Scotland, Morris, Foster, Mark Wilson.

Pretty sure his remit was to halve the wage bill from around £18 million to £9million. I think most managers would struggle, especially as we were on a downward trajectory before he took over. 
Manning on the other hand…

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As I recall there was some optimism, going into the latter stages of August. Momentarily top with a 4-2 lunchtime win vs Cardiff and the prior 4-1 vs Crystal Palace- both got promoted that season- but there was a general feeling or consensus that we needed an experienced CB- I seem to recall that Monk was linked but this never materialised.

Goals for us often were still not such a problem although we went through a fairly barren spell too- and Neil Danns made a difference on loan but I forget how long he stayed.

What if we had retained Cisse and signed only one of Baldock and Davies? To help shield the Back 4 was a role for Cisse iirc..

Bikey not being signed was the key along with retention of Cisse. Similar old story of city not paying the wages to retain and push forward. It’s a hamster wheel isn’t it this club, I wonder why! 

• Like 1

Mcinnes had to deal with a massive squad - most of which were shite.

Granted he added to it with the likes of woolford, morris, wilson, foster....

Mcinnes was very much like manning - a tactical over thinker, trying to make out he knew every last detail about football.

His problem was doing daft stuff like chopping and changing the team, we beat peterborough and then the next game he made several changes to the side, needlessly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nonsense.

He did not have much money to spend. His remit was to reduce the wage bill by alot.

I agree with the dross bought from Scotland. They were not up to standard.

The Morris signing was stupid.

Baldock was a decent signing imo.

Manning has been heavily backed and has the players he wants.

McInnes was not

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MartockRed said:

Pretty sure his remit was to halve the wage bill from around £18 million to £9million. I think most managers would struggle, especially as we were on a downward trajectory before he took over. 
Manning on the other hand…

Yes, very similar to the Pearson situation. Just goes to show what a brilliant job he did to succeed in the reduction bit but NOT get relegated!

Not many managers can reduce the wage bill at the same time as making millions for the club.....

Or, was relegation part of the hierarchy grand plan?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Don’t fully agree on this, Baldock, Davies, Heaton, Cunningham, Anderson all signed with much excitement from the fans at the time I recall and on good wages. Was another cheap appointment by the board. This HC model doesn’t work in BS3

No idea on wages for those mentioned above. His remit was to reduce the wage bill so I imagine they fitted within the budget. He signed some dross mind!

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the HC model. As the structure is not in place.

We've seen this time and time again the Lansdowns appoint an inexperienced (at championship level) coach/manager and it backfires. When we do appoint an experienced manager either they walk out due to interfence from the board (Steve Coppell) or they are not given the tools to do the job (Nigel Pearson) . Once NP cleared all the dead wood, cut the wages and sold off some quality to build up a nice little transfer kitty he was sacked and then the club brought in a yes man in LM I would love to have seen what NP could have done with the money Manning is throwing around 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Absolutely insanity from the Lansdowns and Tinnion to put us back to that dark era.

Pearson did an amazing job of flattening the trough and we should be going back into our peak, but instead we are somehow worse

👏👏👏 clap clap gents

Exactly this. Pearson had targeted this season as the one to really push for the play offs, but the 3 wise men thought we were good enough last October. We've now wasted 2 seasons due to that hair brained decision.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Bikey not being signed was the key along with retention of Cisse. Similar old story of city not paying the wages to retain and push forward. It’s a hamster wheel isn’t it this club, I wonder why! 

New FFP were on the horizon and we were having to consider these.

Trade-offs.

*Bikey, Cisse, Baldock and Davies? ❌

Sign one of the two strikers then you can consider options. Cisse on a Free, Monk on loan? Idk..pretty sure that when we went down and finished bottom by a mile we had a middling or lower middling wage bill though.

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As I've said previously, the last time Jon Lansdown was running the show behind the scenes at City was the McInnes/SOD era, which ended in relegation.

Entirely possible the same thing happens again. 

He is the common denominator. 

Didn’t really follow City as closely as I do now back in the early 2000s, but definitely some events that might’ve impacted and correlate with your post, ie.

• SL deciding to spend more time / base himself permanently in Guernsey
  • Ashton in as consultant 
  • Keith Dawe illness and stepping away
  • Ashton in as COO, then CEO

Mixed in with Jon taking on running things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Simple remedy is to sack Manning, followed by the Tech Director. 

JonL needs to be removed. Tinnion needs to be moved on

An experienced DoF, yoof academy director and CEO/COO needs to be brought in.

SL needs to pipe down.

See how Manning does. If not should have a plan in place for the next person by then.

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, rednotblue said:

SL needs to pipe down.

See how Manning does. If not should have a plan in place for the next person by then.

You're not wrong. But "SL pipe down"?

He couldn't be more disinterested, too busy cosying up to his golf and rugger chums.

The football's his idiot son's responsibility now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You're not wrong. But "SL pipe down"?

He couldn't be more disinterested, too busy cosying up to his golf and rugger chums.

The football's his idiot son's responsibility now.

SL was hardly prolific in his football managing success . It took him 20 years to build a training ground . He has now given his son the chance to run a football club . As his son has no other job created from his own ability so we have to suffer the nepotistic consequences. When does Jon turn up at the club ? What guidance does he offer ? Apart from being the son of a billionaire , what skills does he have outside of his crayola toys? 

The club is being held ransom to the whim of a billionaire who has no desire or vision to enable professional people to build a serious club. It is a personal toy, plaything , a vanity project . 

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

4 hours ago, rednotblue said:

SL needs to pipe down.

Manning is terrible. He needs to go. 

• Like 2