IGNORED

Gareth Southgate comments

CliftonCliff

Good post Cliff.

The Fans Forum will be / could be really interesting next week.

Last year was Manning all new and shiny, seemed to be more Qs about AG than the football, or more Qs to LM about what the future looked like.

Year before was RG, NP and BT all signing off the same hymn sheet although RG about to leave.

If the right Qs are asked it’s gonna be interest hearing all 3 (BT, JL and LM) answer them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good post Cliff.

Last year was Manning all new and shiny, seemed to be more Qs about AG than the football, or more Qs to LM about what the future looked like.

Year before was RG, NP and BT all signing off the same hymn sheet although RG about to leave.

If the right Qs are asked it’s gonna be interest hearing all 3 (BT, JL and LM) answer them.

Thanks, Dave. I won't be at the FF, but will be very interested in any feedback that appears here.

• Like 1

I've long said that what happens in the boardroom ultimately finds it's way to the pitch. It's absolutely a reason why I bang on about governance, the absence of a CEO, desire to have a diverse board of directors etc. It is key.

I know there's still space at the FF next week. The club are a little nervous about it I understand, but also do want the right questions to be asked.

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

Interesting read on the BBC Sport website today. 

I remember when I originally joined OTIB, a good many years ago now, in one of my early posts I wrote something like: 

If you want to know how we'll get on in the next game, look in the changing room.

If you want to know where we'll finish at the end of the season, look in the manager's office.

If you want to know where the club will be in 3-5 years time, look in the boardroom. 

Obviously, I was just trying at the time to find a slightly different way of wording a pretty self-evident argument, but it has particular resonance at the moment, with the issue of the club's organisational structure (or lack of it) again taking prominence in some current threads like, for example, the Tinnion/SL one or the one titled "Buying Pattern".

In which context, I was struck by remarks made by GS in a recent interview, as reported in the piece referenced above. Well worth a look. He says, among other things:

"Clubs can only be successful if everything is aligned, right through the club..." (Sound familiar?)

"... the smarter people sit in the boardrooms (if only, in our case)... and .. coaches are more dispensable than you think..."

"As a coach, you think you are the most important person" and he then goes on to say that having sat in many boardrooms around the country over an 8 year period, he realised that a coach is only one small part of a much bigger, functioning system.

The highlighted part is exactly Nige wanted to develop at City having achieved his success at Leicester by creating such an ethos and why he brought trusted colleagues from those days with him.

Unfortunately it seems BT and JL stopped that happening…….and look where we are now………:disapointed2se:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The highlighted part is exactly Nige wanted to develop at City having achieved his success at Leicester by creating such an ethos and why he brought trusted colleagues from those days with him.

Unfortunately it seems BT and JL stopped that happening…….and look where we are now………:disapointed2se:

According to Ian Gay we’re doing really well. Exactly where he expected us to be - mid table - after playing some sparkling football and being unlucky.

• Haha 8
  • Flames 3

50 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I've long said that what happens in the boardroom ultimately finds it's way to the pitch. It's absolutely a reason why I bang on about governance, the absence of a CEO, desire to have a diverse board of directors etc. It is key.

I know there's still space at the FF next week. The club are a little nervous about it I understand, but also do want the right questions to be asked.

It would be good if someone could reference the GS article in their question to the board. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Good post Cliff.

I can't make it. Do you know if it's it being recorded Fevs? 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty sure it was live streamed last year, because I sat there taking notes at home.

Can you there this time around Dave? It would be excellent to have someone like you there ready to ask the right questions to hold them to account..

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, sorry I’m unable to.

It will be nice to watch them squirm but sadly it'll make no difference as they are so set on doing it the Lansdown way which is obviously a tried and tested formula! Haha 😄 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JAWS said:

It will be nice to watch them squirm but sadly it'll make no difference as they are so set on doing it the Lansdown way which is obviously a tried and tested formula! Haha 😄 

It will be proper cringeworthy seeing them squirming when they get the hardball questions thrown at them. Unfortunately I can’t make it, but please guys don’t let them off the hook with the usual pre-rehearsed BS responses. Make sure you follow up if they try to whitewash the question(s). 

• Like 2