IGNORED

England v Greece

Davefevs

14 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

indeed.. Southgate wasn't everyones cup of tea but results wise he was unmatched. IMO if we played that game tonight under Gareth we would have breezed to a win..

Possibly. There is also a reason we are not in the top league. Our players just seem as much as anything to find it really hard to get motivated for this competition.

• Like 1

The proper thing to do was reshuffle at HT. It was obvious it wasn't working. I would have brought on Watkins for Foden and asked Bellingham to drop back to help out Rice who was trying to mark 3 players at times.

Sunday will probably decide Carsley's future. He has some great players at his disposal but he should not be shoe horning his favourite players into an unsuited formation.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

The proper thing to do was reshuffle at HT. It was obvious it wasn't working. I would have brought on Watkins for Foden and asked Bellingham to drop back to help out Rice who was trying to mark 3 players at times.

Sunday will probably decide Carsley's future. He has some great players at his disposal but he should not be shoe horning his favourite players into an unsuited formation.

On 5live they said some fans wanted to see all the top attacking players play and well this is what they got.

Too much of one and not of the other leaving us short and exposed.

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

For people that may say on forums or the internet “bet you wish we had Gareth again” - he was struggling come the end to manage this squad, due to the amount of “elite” players we now have. Back in 2018 we didn’t really have any world-class stars (Kane was on his way there i suppose).

The next coach needs to be someone who can handle the ego’s that are coming through. I get a big name doesn’t guarantee success, but i can’t see Carsley being able to manage this team, even tonight they didn’t look like they were enjoying it.

Thank you. Lets not forget England lost 4-0 at home to Hungary 2 years ago, and got Relegated.

• Admin

Just heard the post match interview with Carsley, it's absolutely awful 

He states he did the FA a favour by taking the job for three camps and believes he's going back to the U21s afterwards 

It's like he's never had any media training it's horrific 

• Facepalm 1

40 minutes ago, phantom said:

He states he did the FA a favour by taking the job for three camps and believes he's going back to the U21s afterwards 

Just saying how he feels. Can’t see the issue 

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

A good team will always beat a talented group of individuals imo. That is what happened tonight.

Yes agreed. I should add Greece aren't terrible technically either and yes we man for man certainly are superior, they are one of those tricky mid ranking sides containing some decent individuals and a lot.of hard working, solid ones IMO.

3 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

@Davefevs got to laugh at Ian Gay calling for Carsley to go and out of his depth….amazing how that doesn’t transcend into BS3 for him…..!! 

Strange how Ian defends Manning cos we're only 9 games into the season (ignoring the fact we're 40 games into Liams reign) 

But after 3 games for Carsley he wants him out..

Might also save this for future use when we have a poor defensive performance under Manning. 

"Can anyone remember a worse English defensive performance 

It's now pointless moving forward with Carsle"

6 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Just saying how he feels. Can’t see the issue 

Probably been put off by the fuss about him not singing the national anthem - as if that was the first time he hadn't done it.

5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I was at Wembley tonight and England were so open at the back it was unbelievable. I was sat next to the Greek fans who made a noise all night long. Fair play to them, they deserved the win.

Southgate probably sitting there with a grin and laugh - mind you we also lost to Iceland before the Euro finals.

But last night probably showed why all the attacking talent don't play - and some are out of form anyway.

9 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

On 5live they said some fans wanted to see all the top attacking players play and well this is what they got.

Too much of one and not of the other leaving us short and exposed.

I hoped we might play 4-4-2 with a couple of strikers, but this was just footballing suicide 

• Like 1

Was chatting to friends when the lineup came out trying to make sense of an XI with no strikers and one midfielder. We agreed he'd look a genius or a fool. I think we know where it landed! 

I suppose the silver lining is it should hurt his chances of getting it full-time.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I can't recall who said it but Hard Work can Beat Talent if Talent doesn't work hard.

You could also state organised hard work beats confused talent.

Palmer at CDM (?), Bellingham in a false nine, TAA in a false everything, Lewis at LB ... With all the time England had spent on this new unique system what could go wrong?

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Was chatting to friends when the lineup came out trying to make sense of an XI with no strikers and one midfielder. We agreed he'd look a genius or a fool. I think we know where it landed! 

I suppose the silver lining is it should hurt his chances of getting it full-time.

The trouble is Gav I think he will get the job full time. 

There was quite a big thread on here when he was first appointed as Interim Coach and many if not most posters were backing him. Poncing around in a tracksuit, looking at his monitor and scribbling on an iPad constantly just made him look like a classroom Coach.

Out of his depth and very much like someone a bit closer to home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Strange how Ian defends Manning cos we're only 9 games into the season (ignoring the fact we're 40 games into Liams reign) 

But after 3 games for Carsley he wants him out..

Might also save this for future use when we have a poor defensive performance under Manning. 

"Can anyone remember a worse English defensive performance 

It's now pointless moving forward with Carsle"

This thread is about England.

Please save your weird Ian Gay obsession for another thread 👍

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah I think they're not bad for sure- players at Benfica, Bundesliga, Liverpool and West Ham- definitely our strongest opposition in the Group.

I'm still expecting us to beat them in the next game after that wake up call last night, NO more experiments.

16 hours ago, STFreeloader said:

Southgate blew the best chances we had to win a trophy, and it just feels now like we will regress back into being the England side we have been most of my life. That was shockingly poor tonight 

Southgate got us to our best finishes in a generation but unfortunately failed at the final hurdle. Fixed that for you.

I would say Southgate doesn't lose that tonight but tbf our last Nations League appearance was shocking.

15 hours ago, phantom said:

Bizarre interviews from him. That comment about 20 minutes on the training ground won't age well - I assume it's been misinterpreted, as in how long is "normal" to spend solidly on a formation? He's only had 2 days with them and probably not loads of time "on the grass" to coin a phrase.

7 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

I hoped we might play 4-4-2 with a couple of strikers, but this was just footballing suicide 

We finished in a 4-4-2.

To be honest I was a big Southgate fan and I'm always glass half full with England but that was utter crap. First half I thought OK we've struggled, but we'll grow into this like Finland, but it didn't happen and Greece gained confidence.

Second half then became shambolic. I admire that he had the balls to experiment and try something different, but not against the only half decent side in our group! When it didn't work he looked bereft of ideas to fix it too.

To be fair though, the system he tried to implement is one that won him the u21s (beating current Spain manager's side in the final) he used Gordon in a 9 and allowed players a free role, and did so without conceding a goal. U21s and Full internationals are quite different beasts though.

• Like 1