IGNORED

Suggested Name for Manning Ball... It's Scrotal Football

Lord Northski

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yu for Williams vs Oxford was possibly not pre-planned, being at HT..the profile of player changed a bit too..

I think he did that as his job may have been on the line had we lost, and it seems to have been a one-off.

Although that was the sub, it wasn’t like Yu came in and played DM was it?

my notes:

Start: 4231 Knight as 10, Bird as DM2

44 mins: Oxford sub (inj)

H-T: Hirakawa for Williams - Knight to DM, Hirakawa to RW, Mehmeti to LW, Twine to 10

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

Because is bollocks. We all know its slow, ponderous and tedious in the extreme. Constant sideways passing, endless reworking of the ball that provides the opposition time to move all their chess pieces behind the ball. It's boring, monotonous and one looks forward to Saturdays like a trip to the dentist. We've said for years that we struggle to breakdown teams towards the bottom of the table because they sit eleven men behind the ball. Additionally, we've always say that we have some easier games coming up against some of the bottom sides, but we never get the points we expect from those games. But, other teams do, thats why the bottom teams are down that end of the table. We have no plan B, we make like for like substitutions, and never seem to throw the kitchen sink at the opposition, even if we think we have them on the rails. This inability to react to a change in opposition formation, or heaven forbid, the ability to play a wild card ourselves makes us the easiest opposition to play against, and set up for, hence all our draws and lack of goals. 

Manning needed Twine as he needed a maverick, as he was clearly aware that he himself wasn't one. But, its obvious to those watching that this isn't enough. Somehow we need Manning to transform himself into a maverick tactician, capable of throwing curve balls and producing radical rabbits from hats. The same old, same old has been throughly found out and is going nowhere. More time on the grass, means even more of the same. More predictable bollox. This is most definitely "Scrotal Football"  

An excellent summary!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Northski said:

Because is bollocks. We all know its slow, ponderous and tedious in the extreme. Constant sideways passing, endless reworking of the ball that provides the opposition time to move all their chess pieces behind the ball. It's boring, monotonous and one looks forward to Saturdays like a trip to the dentist. We've said for years that we struggle to breakdown teams towards the bottom of the table because they sit eleven men behind the ball. Additionally, we've always say that we have some easier games coming up against some of the bottom sides, but we never get the points we expect from those games. But, other teams do, thats why the bottom teams are down that end of the table. We have no plan B, we make like for like substitutions, and never seem to throw the kitchen sink at the opposition, even if we think we have them on the rails. This inability to react to a change in opposition formation, or heaven forbid, the ability to play a wild card ourselves makes us the easiest opposition to play against, and set up for, hence all our draws and lack of goals. 

Manning needed Twine as he needed a maverick, as he was clearly aware that he himself wasn't one. But, its obvious to those watching that this isn't enough. Somehow we need Manning to transform himself into a maverick tactician, capable of throwing curve balls and producing radical rabbits from hats. The same old, same old has been throughly found out and is going nowhere. More time on the grass, means even more of the same. More predictable bollox. This is most definitely "Scrotal Football"  

How wonderfully witty.  Takes me back to my days in the junior school playground.

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 5

Slow, repetitive, tedious, negative, boring, excruciating, agonising, ineffective, bollox.

You could use any of those words to describe Manningball.

Watching a game is painful enough, but watching 38 games and saying "same old, same old" every week is really starting to turn many of us off.

Why we hired this bloke is beyond me, when we had a manager, who if supported by the board in the way Manning has been, looked like he could have had us going places.

Of course, our best manager in years was not the yes man the board wanted and we are paying the price.  Clearly neither the club, nor the manager have any ambition.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 7
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Although that was the sub, it wasn’t like Yu came in and played DM was it?

my notes:

Start: 4231 Knight as 10, Bird as DM2

44 mins: Oxford sub (inj)

H-T: Hirakawa for Williams - Knight to DM, Hirakawa to RW, Mehmeti to LW, Twine to 10

It was still more of a natural balance though? Twine to LW, Mehmeti to some extent on the right is a bit lopsided.

I think he'll only deviate when he is under major pressure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

I despair at what football the beautiful  game had become in this modern age, it’s turgid boring and utter garbage.

I’m so grateful I watched proper exciting football back in the 70s 80s and even the 90s.

Yep, “modern” coaches trying to rewrite the coaching manual and getting bummed by grey haired blokes in their nineties (the Greece manager can’t be much younger can he?) playing solid, pragmatic football with a dash of quality lobbed in. Simple game people say….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I still think 'Paint watching Manningball dry' was the best description. 

how about 'brolacball'  one for the oldies i think.not seen it for years

edit, bergerball got a better ring to it

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 1

Football used to be such  a simple sport . You play 442 - everyone knew their positin annd role in the team. Now we have full backs going into midfield and God forbid the thought of having 2 strikers playing as a pair is frowned appon

Summed it all last night watching the national team with no striker on the pitch and no left back in the squad!

Edited by CloudyThatchers
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Lord Northski said:

And everyone else was wondering who that bloke is? Just saying. 

Four Grandparents Bristolian.  Bedminster born and bred.  Loyal and true supporter of Bristol City Football Club.  

Wonder no more.

Edited by Malago