IGNORED

would you travel by bus to City games,if they were free?

I knows plenty of my generation who have bus passes but prefer to drive to AG despite the cost of matchday parking.

My neighbour has a bus pass and he uses it rather than drive to AG. ‘It’s far easier’ according to him………..………:dunno:

Edited by Robbored

7 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

I use the bus now, from Hanham to the Centre and then walk to the ground.

It must be one of the nicest walks to any football stadium in uk.

The main reason for getting the bus though is the difficulty in finding a parking space or having to pay ridiculous parking charges.

I used to do the same bus route and walk back in the late 80's and continued to do the same until the late 90's. Number 44 into the centre, and then a walk along the harbourside when it was proper industrial, walking on the train lines passing under the railway bridge to join onto Spike island. Lovely walk at the time.

With regards to using a free bus, I'd happily do it if I could get away from the ground quickly enough. Whenever I've used the Brislington Park n Ride, getting to Ashton Gate is fine, but getting back is a real ball ache as either the bus is full and you got to wait ages, or the bus just stills on Winterstoke road stuck in traffic.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Leicestershire county are offering FREE bus transport on Saturdays only till 30 November 2024

Leicester City are at home on only one Saturday 23 November against Chelsea

Would you travel to City homes if the bus's were FREE on Saturdays only?

It is only £2 a journey in our region anyway, if on a route it is already a cheap option

It certainly helps being within 50 yards of a bus stop in WSM

35 minutes ago, lenred said:

Trying to get from near the County Ground off Glos Road to AG takes between 50 mins to 1hr 10 on the bus then by foot.  The public transport in this city really is beyond shite.   

Because it’s in South Bristol, nobody gives a ****.

I see Ashley Down has just got a new station though.

More good news for North Bristol, eh?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Because it’s in South Bristol, nobody gives a ****.

I see Ashley Down has just got a new station though.

More good news for North Bristol, eh?

I live here against my will I can assure you!!  New station is great to have but doesn’t really help me personally on a regular basis in my everyday.  When I lived in Windmill Hill and Bedminster Down the stations there were much more helpful for my day to day needs - which admittedly have changed with home working etc.  

• Thanks 1

I usually catch the Bus to the centre and walk , unless I meet mates and stay around the centre then catch another Bus. The Bus service is shite , I tend to get the Bus about 11:00 as you can never rely on the Bus turning up. 
No train station in Fishponds either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I usually catch the Bus to the centre and walk , unless I meet mates and stay around the centre then catch another Bus. The Bus service is shite , I tend to get the Bus about 11:00 as you can never rely on the Bus turning up. 
No train station in Fishponds either. 

Fair comment, parts of East Bristol (St. George etc) also poorly served by rail.

Stapleton Rd station isn’t too far from the bottom bit of Fishponds/Eastville, I guess?

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair comment, parts of East Bristol (St. George etc) also poorly served by rail.

Stapleton Rd station isn’t too far from the bottom bit of Fishponds/Eastville, I guess?

Stapleton Road Station would be about half way on my journey to the centre, by that time I'm losing my will to live and would rather stay on until the centre. 
Might be an option if I was meeting mates at the Albert / Black Cat like we used to.

36 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I live on the Kingswood\Warmley border fairly close to the Warmley Ring Road roundabout - I don't think I could get any further away from a train station. Keynsham, Lawrence Hill, Temple Meads, Park Way, Yate...........absolutely nothing near me. The best I can do is drive to Keynsham, pay for parking, and then pay extortionate ticket prices if I ever want to travel by rail somewhere. In the end, the convenience of driving wins overall.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I live on the Kingswood\Warmley border fairly close to the Warmley Ring Road roundabout - I don't think I could get any further away from a train station. Keynsham, Lawrence Hill, Temple Meads, Park Way, Yate...........absolutely nothing near me. The best I can do is drive to Keynsham, pay for parking, and then pay extortionate ticket prices if I ever want to travel by rail somewhere. In the end, the convenience of driving wins overall.

You can’t be too far from me, I live just down from the where the Highwayman pub was. To answer the OP’s question, no way! When I was a teenager travelling to games, it was a nightmare, particularly night games, many was the time I’d just miss the bus from the centre home and wait another 30 minutes for the next one.

I always vowed when I could drive I’d never get the bus to City again, and other than going out for a friends birthday on Gloucester Road after the match a few years ago, I’ve stuck to that vow. Free travel would not tempt me on to the bus.

Edited by BS15_RED

Free bus and free admission wouldnt tempt me only Lansdowns leaving would do that. What they have and are doing to this club is not ok.

Sadly due to my age and there stubborness unlikely to ever visit again:no:

Edited by temp
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Leicestershire county are offering FREE bus transport on Saturdays only till 30 November 2024

Leicester City are at home on only one Saturday 23 November against Chelsea

Would you travel to City homes if the bus's were FREE on Saturdays only?

If they pick up and drop off in France then yes

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, beaverface said:

I used to do the same bus route and walk back in the late 80's and continued to do the same until the late 90's. Number 44 into the centre, and then a walk along the harbourside when it was proper industrial, walking on the train lines passing under the railway bridge to join onto Spike island. Lovely walk at the time.

With regards to using a free bus, I'd happily do it if I could get away from the ground quickly enough. Whenever I've used the Brislington Park n Ride, getting to Ashton Gate is fine, but getting back is a real ball ache as either the bus is full and you got to wait ages, or the bus just stills on Winterstoke road stuck in traffic.

I've used Briz Park and ride and it's usually waiting for and then standing on, the bus which is then caught in traffic post match. Just build the friggin station ffs.

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

You can’t be too far from me, I live just down from the where the Highwayman pub was. To answer the OP’s question, no way! When I was a teenager travelling to games, it was a nightmare, particularly night games, many was the time I’d just miss the bus from the centre home and wait another 30 minutes for the next one.

I always vowed when I could drive I’d never get the bus to City again, and other than going out for a friends birthday on Gloucester Road after the match a few years ago, I’ve stuck to that vow. Free travel would not tempt me on to the bus.

I’m also from the ‘wood’ , I can’t see how anyone can drive to games , you need 3 preferably 4 pints before the game to make it bearable! 
Me and my daughter usually get the bus to the centre then walk to the ground , sometimes we get the boat across the harbour at the ss Great Britain, it’s all part of our pre game ritual I guess. 
night games are bit different and we usually scrounge a lift with my sis and nephew if they are going 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lenred said:

Trying to get from near the County Ground off Glos Road to AG takes between 50 mins to 1hr 10 on the bus then by foot.  The public transport in this city really is beyond shite.   

I'm in the same part of the world as you - my usual route to the Robins is 'get an Uber' - but the last couple of games I've jumped on a seventy-something-bus, jumped off just past the Lions and walked down to the Robins, purely to get some steps in. Looked into the whole new world of the Ashley Down Road station and to be honest, entirely underwhelmed. One train an hour and if it's cancelled/late you'll have a strong challenge getting something else that works.

Getting home is far more sensible, one of those A-Bus things from the Ford garage back to the centre and then either another seventy-something back up Glous Road, or a handful of pints and then back. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Brought up down bottom of New Cheltenham 27yrs, back in 66/67 used to get coach from Soundwell near baths right into the AG car park where it lined up with the rest; then got the 14 from outside The ANCHOR and walked from centre many time had to walk home as spent up.

The pre match ritual of visiting the pubs around the Gate also stopped when moved away, it did help to take the edge of a few sh1te games though back then.

Now FFS every stand has been replaced and The Lansdown "no risk" Empire has moved in, not been back since the EE got chopped

I've made my way to the stadium all ways. Takes me an hour to walk at a fast pace.

Two buses, which is alright if you 'connect' seamlessly, if not it's such a time waster. I guess many with the free bus passes might be retired anyway so have 'all the time in the world', and anyway I don't think you can get a free pass now until you are over 67 or something ☹️.

I have bussed into the centre and walked, yes it is a nice walk but a fair old stretch if it's pouring with rain. I don't want to arrive soaked and watch the football we have at the moment!

My usual option is to get my husband to drop me over and get a lift back with a family member, or sometimes he returns to get me (obviously this is 4 journeys for him) which seems not very 'green' but much quicker if we are doing something in the evening, or it gets very late for night matches if I have to get 2 buses home and work early the next day.

Sometimes the family member will drive to the game and I go with them, but we go way early to find a parking spot, then obviously get caught in all the traffic after.

In short, I don't think the club gives too much thought how people travel to the games. Many people drive great distances, struggle to park, can't get back to the station in time for last trains etc. I know it's the fans who choose to follow the club, and I'm not really sure what the club can do. Free buses maybe an option. 

j have used buses from nailsea in the past. always been easy enough but tend to get offered a lift nowadays from the younger generation that i used to go with. they still offer spare tickets etc but i wont go, ive had it with the management decisions that go on down there.

9 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm in the same part of the world as you - my usual route to the Robins is 'get an Uber' - but the last couple of games I've jumped on a seventy-something-bus, jumped off just past the Lions and walked down to the Robins, purely to get some steps in. Looked into the whole new world of the Ashley Down Road station and to be honest, entirely underwhelmed. One train an hour and if it's cancelled/late you'll have a strong challenge getting something else that works.

Getting home is far more sensible, one of those A-Bus things from the Ford garage back to the centre and then either another seventy-something back up Glous Road, or a handful of pints and then back. 

Yeah that’s what I do now.  A seventy something to West St and walk down. 

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I've made my way to the stadium all ways. Takes me an hour to walk at a fast pace.

Two buses, which is alright if you 'connect' seamlessly, if not it's such a time waster. I guess many with the free bus passes might be retired anyway so have 'all the time in the world', and anyway I don't think you can get a free pass now until you are over 67 or something ☹️.

I have bussed into the centre and walked, yes it is a nice walk but a fair old stretch if it's pouring with rain. I don't want to arrive soaked and watch the football we have at the moment!

My usual option is to get my husband to drop me over and get a lift back with a family member, or sometimes he returns to get me (obviously this is 4 journeys for him) which seems not very 'green' but much quicker if we are doing something in the evening, or it gets very late for night matches if I have to get 2 buses home and work early the next day.

Sometimes the family member will drive to the game and I go with them, but we go way early to find a parking spot, then obviously get caught in all the traffic after.

In short, I don't think the club gives too much thought how people travel to the games. Many people drive great distances, struggle to park, can't get back to the station in time for last trains etc. I know it's the fans who choose to follow the club, and I'm not really sure what the club can do. Free buses maybe an option. 

In Germany you get free public transport on the day of the game within a certain radius.   You’d think such a green city as ourselves (!) would look at such initiatives - for both teams. But I think we all know there us being a green city is just a load of old bollocks and just another platitude from those that run our fair city. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2024 at 11:20, lenred said:

In Germany you get free public transport on the day of the game within a certain radius.   You’d think such a green city as ourselves (!) would look at such initiatives - for both teams. But I think we all know there us being a green city is just a load of old bollocks and just another platitude from those that run our fair city. 

Very true. Same with the club/Bristol Sport. They win awards for being green then have an empty coach driven up and back to Sunderland etc after the team fly up and back!