IGNORED

Brian Tinnion talks recruitment...

spudski

3 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

There’s one question I’d LOVE to ask Tinnion:

”When you appointed Liam Manning 12 months ago, you said it was to make that final push with a top-end squad. Given that position wise and points wise the team is no better off than when he came, were you wrong about the squad or the appointment?”

(Follow-up question, clearly, is if you were wrong about the squad 12 months ago why are you right about it now?)

I wish we had a local journalist capable of asking that question. It’s not rude, it’s not confrontational, but I’d love to hear him tie himself in knots trying to answer it.

he wouldnt tho,you'd get 'we beat millwall'

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

These clowns need to be held accountable! To be fair our fanbase need to take some responsibility for not voicing our anger/disappointment in them strongly enough!! 

They are taking the p including this failed manager, they will continue to do so while they keep taking your money.

We dont do nothing so they wont do nothing, make your feelings known, walk out for a few mins if you have to keep giving them what they crave.....your money.

Not enough will, so same old same old....bullsh1te

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

That interview has aged as well as a bottle of Liebfraumilch.

What an absolute fraud he is. Front foot attacking exciting football indeed

Hard to remember being so bored in 40 years of supporting the City.

dont worry,theres only 37 games to go then this season will all be over 😃

• Haha 2

Great listen.

Particularly impressed by the plans to reduce injuries, only 6 hamstring ones so far this season.

What an absolute load of nonsense it is, nothing that he says has actually happened.

Shambles.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

The saddest thing for me is that man made me fall in love with Bristol City as a player

It didn't start out very well for him at City. He used to get some fearful stick from the enclosure when he first arrived. 

What was the turning point for his career here? Was it the Liverpool game or before that? I can't really remember. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One man went.... said:

It didn't start out very well for him at City. He used to get some fearful stick from the enclosure when he first arrived. 

What was the turning point for his career here? Was it the Liverpool game or before that? I can't really remember. 

Hopefully the last twelve months.

4 hours ago, fly in the air said:

so what are you going to do with Manning. no youngsters coming to the squad. not front foot football and not at the top end of the table. 

..but apart from that it's going well.:whistle2:

• Like 1

The difference between what was promised  and what’s being delivered is quite staggering.  I do hope this is pressed hard at Fans Forum (do wish there was wider ticket availability as a side note)

It’s like ordering cod, chips and mushy peas in the chippy but given something completely different because the shop owner and the chip cutter think you’ll prefer that.

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

”When you appointed Liam Manning 12 months ago, you said it was to make that final push with a top-end squad. Given that position wise and points wise the team is no better off than when he came, were you wrong about the squad or the appointment?”

(Follow-up question, clearly, is if you were wrong about the squad 12 months ago why are you right about it now?)

I wish we had a local journalist capable of asking that question. It’s not rude, it’s not confrontational, but I’d love to hear him tie himself in knots trying to answer it.

So go to the forum and ask him?

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Well.... You could always attend the forum and be The Journalist who does ask it....

3 minutes ago, Floatn Over said:

The difference between what was promised  and what’s being delivered is quite staggering.  I do hope this is pressed hard at Fans Forum (do wish there was wider ticket availability as a side note)

It’s like ordering cod, chips and mushy peas in the chippy but given something completely different because the shop owner and the chip cutter think you’ll prefer that.

So why don't you go and ask the question?

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, One Team said:

I completely expect him to appoint Mickey Bell as manager if Manning gets sacked. 

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My money is on Matty Hewlett.

58 minutes ago, One Team said:

I’ll raise you a Cole Skuse…. 🤢

56 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'll raise you a Scotty may only be the kit man in some people's eyes   but ....

29 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

I take your Scotty and raise you a Lee Johnson ......

You know what, of take any and all of them right now if it meant getting that cretin out of our club. I've said it before that I don't believe there's anybody out there who could do a worse and more destructive job than Captain Dumblebore.

Massively responsible for so many of us being bored rigid and questioning why we bother on a Saturday afternoon.

I'm really not a massive fan of the Poundland Eddie Howe, but I hide it well......

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I sincerely believe that should Manning be sacked that smarmy Steve will give the job to Tinman, telling us how much more experience he has now, unfortunately it’s experience of talking rubbish and making shit decisions.

Nothing would surprise me in La La Lansdown Land!

7 hours ago, Floatn Over said:

There must be a future for BT in politics then!

• Flames 1

11 hours ago, The Journalist said:

They are there to represent the fans and ask the tough questions on our behalf.  It’s not too much to ask is it

4 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I sincerely believe that should Manning be sacked that smarmy Steve will give the job to Tinman, telling us how much more experience he has now, unfortunately it’s experience of talking rubbish and making shit decisions.

Not a chance in a million.

Tinnion isn’t very bright but even he’s smart enough to know he would be in the firing line then.

He’s manoeuvred himself into a position where he doesn’t get sacked no matter how shit things are on the pitch.

He’s talked already about creating a continuity behind the scenes.

Jobs for life (as long as the Lansdowns are here) for him & his chosen ones.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

21 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

They are there to represent the fans and ask the tough questions on our behalf.  It’s not too much to ask is it

No, they're not. They're there to be impartial. That doesn't mean they'll ask the tough questions that need asking, but they are there to report on what they see and hear and not for any one party.

12 hours ago, The Journalist said:

And on a similar theme:

"It is now just over a year since Phil Alexander left and the club dissolved the post of CEO, so giving this club an unusual board set up. Given that position wise and points wise the team is not materially better off than it was at that time, how do you evaluate that decision now?"

Alexander left on 17 September last year. 6 games had been played and we were 11th with 9 points.

• Like 2

Somewhat completely off topic but not really its own thread worthy..

I've just seen this video and about 3 mins in Phil Brown explains the backroom setup they have. With loads of them having top level experience on and off the pitch.

I'm sat here wondering how the hell Kidderminster Harriers seem to have a far better set up than us!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, One man went.... said:

He scored the winner against the Gas from the penalty spot in his second game didn’t he? 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not a chance in a million.

Tinnion isn’t very bright but even he’s smart enough to know he would be in the firing line then.

He’s manoeuvred himself into a position where he doesn’t get sacked no matter how shit things are on the pitch.

He’s talked already about creating a continuity behind the scenes.

Jobs for life (as long as the Lansdowns are here) for him & his chosen ones.

He may think he has a job for life, but the Lansdowns always need a fall guy, and with Manning being a Tinnion recommended appointment, he'll find himself in the crosshairs pretty quickly if it all goes wrong. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He may think he has a job for life, but the Lansdowns always need a fall guy, and with Manning being a Tinnion recommended appointment, he'll find himself in the crosshairs pretty quickly if it all goes wrong. 

Time will tell, my hunch is he’ll dump on Manning pretty soon if results are poor in the next four or five.

Expect him to say “he’s not used the Academy” a lot.

I don’t think he’ll get the boot until they sell up.

• Like 3

I’ve been very critical of SL, JL and BT.

But I’ve got to say - there is some sympathy there from me for a few of them.

I do sincerely believe in the case of BT and JL the good intention is absolutely there; looking at that video I think BT (and JL in his) genuinely believed what they said and that’s what they wanted.

But we can all say words. I could get up in front of a camera and spin all that stuff and sound convincing. 

The reality is we’re seeing that saying and doing are two entirely different things - and ultimately we’re seeing the result of the wrong, unqualified, untalented people, who lack the experience and skills in the very key positions that need multiple key attributes.

Somtimes hard work and good intentions simply aren’t enough. The CEO roles are for the best of the best, the highest achievers.

That’s where my frustrations boil over with SL who simply time and again puts the wrong people in the wrong roles - with the obvious negative consequences - often because he has a hunch on them or they are good humans who create a nice atmosphere. 

We lack a lot of the drive and ruthlessness needed to succeed in football and that appears to trickle down from the top.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 10

16 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

We lack a lot of the drive and ruthlessness needed to succeed in football and that appears to trickle down from the top.

There's a lot of truth in this. 

We simply aren't aggressive enough on or off the pitch. The real trick though is to have that ruthlessness but bring the fans along with you. Mark Ashton was the perfect example of a ruthless bastard but the club couldn't get the fans onboard (thanks mainly to the divisive appointments of Johnson and Holden). Don't get me wrong, for appointing Holden alone I would have driven Ashton wherever he wanted to go.

Now I look at Ipswich and think FFS. 

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The Journalist said:

It is a fair comment but I’ve got better things to do than drive hundreds of miles to do the local media’s job for them. 

Since the start of the campaign (after the arrival of Ms Robins) local media particularly the beeb have gone soft and fluffy on Mr Manning et al and our performances. It’s quite nauseating!

Where is McGregor when you need him? I was never his biggest fan but I never had him as a sycophant! 

Yeah I can't say I have any sympathy either tbh. Each of them could have (and did have) decent roles at the club and would have been reasonably thought of. Even JL could have perhaps been somewhat likeable as a proxy-chairman "fan" of the club etc with a more professional and proper person leading behind the scenes ie Richard Gould, Phil Alexander or even Mark Ashton.

But now all of the actions they've made they need to be held accountable for, so sympathy is the last thing they should be offered.

The one Tinnion quote that sticks in my head was his "don't they [the fans] think we want success?" from when he was flapping on Radio Bristol a year ago.  That line alone just summed up all of the delusion, denial and lack of awareness that many of us knew at the time. A year later that's only been hammered into the ground while these lot seem to just keep digging more sand.

Next week they have a chance to show maybe they've learned something but somehow I doubt it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

54 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I’ve been very critical of SL, JL and BT.

But I’ve got to say - there is some sympathy there from me for a few of them.

I do sincerely believe in the case of BT and JL the good intention is absolutely there; looking at that video I think BT (and JL in his) genuinely believed what they said and that’s what they wanted.

But we can all say words. I could get up in front of a camera and spin all that stuff and sound convincing. 

The reality is we’re seeing that saying and doing are two entirely different things - and ultimately we’re seeing the result of the wrong, unqualified, untalented people, who lack the experience and skills in the very key positions that need multiple key attributes.

Somtimes hard work and good intentions simply aren’t enough. The CEO roles are for the best of the best, the highest achievers.

That’s where my frustrations boil over with SL who simply time and again puts the wrong people in the wrong roles - with the obvious negative consequences - often because he has a hunch on them or they are good humans who create a nice atmosphere. 

Totally agree. This is on SL. 

He’d never in a million years have recruited inadequate people into key positions at HL. Thus making it infuriating that what was successful in his business was not replicated here. Was almost on the right track with Gould, Nige and then Alexander (possibly) but then threw it all away-  and here we are in a worse position than 12 months ago seemingly going backwards again despite having spent good money. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

This will neve. Realistally they had the chance to put him in temporary charge wen Pearson left whist they looked for someone. The fact they never, makes me sure this will not ever be considered. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

Mark Ashton was the perfect example of a ruthless bastard but the club couldn't get the fans onboard (thanks mainly to the divisive appointments of Johnson and Holden). Don't get me wrong, for appointing Holden alone I would have driven Ashton wherever he wanted to go.

Now I look at Ipswich and think FFS. 

In fairness neither LJ or Holden were Mark Ashton appointments. 

LJ very obviously a Steve and Jon appointment. 

Holden, I've never quite got to the bottom of, but most people I've spoke to say Steve didn't like any of the external candidates that were interviewed so suggested, then insisted, it should be Holden. 

It's pretty telling that not long after Holden was appointed, Ashton was making manoeuvres to leave the club.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

What I find quite sad is that I just don't really care much anymore. 40 odd years of supporting and, meh!

I don't know if it's the crap football, seeing it all before, an age thing or being fed up of this sort of shite? Maybe a mix of it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1