IGNORED

Armstrong

Qpr Fan

I started a thread here when you guys signed him and I hoped he would kick on with you and a skint Qpr could get a resale percentage.

I've just read an article that suggested he's back to what we had. An athlete, who can play for 60mins who has poor instincts in front of goal. Are you guys coming to the same conclusion? 

As I said, I want him to rip this league up with you the City and you sell him on for big bucks. 

Are you being patient with him, or generally fed up with what you've got?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Qpr Fan said:

I started a thread here when you guys signed him and I hoped he would kick on with you and a skint Qpr could get a resale percentage.

I've just read an article that suggested he's back to what we had. An athlete, who can play for 60mins who has poor instincts in front of goal. Are you guys coming to the same conclusion? 

As I said, I want him to rip this league up with you the City and you sell him on for big bucks. 

Everything you guys said has been spot on. Physically strong and very quick but couldn't hit a barn door. Technically not great either. Also after half time he’s offered nothing most games and gets taken off at the 60 miniute mark. 

A nice lad who hopefully improves. Not convinced though. 

Just to add it doesn’t help being managed by a man completely out of his depth. No players have stood out. 

Edited by Jose
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yep, he's very raw.   Gets plenty of chances but converts few.  He is making good runs in behind and his pace is lightning, but does not seem to have the composure to finish them. 

His movement in and around the box isn't great either.   Doesn't possess that instinct to know where to be to get on the end of things.  More Bollox in the box, than fox on the box.

We can't afford to buy anything close to the finished article, so I'm just being patience to see how he develops. 

Finishing can be improved, but not sure you train instinct.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Qpr Fan said:

He's on fire and we mugged you. We're not a selling club so no chance for a sell on and so you'll get eff all. He's like a really really good Semenyo and he wasn't a striker either. Next stop Premier League and it will be a neck and neck battle between Sincs and Haaland for the Golden Boot.

• Haha 14
  • Facepalm 1

Looks very much the player he clearly was when he came on at Loftus Rd last season

Certainly increasing our expected goals and decreasing actual goals.

Won't be a Champ player for long, either he will figure out his weaknesses and dominate PL defences or drift down the leagues like many with his qualities before him 

Edited by cidercity1987

21 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

You don't teach footballers how to do one on one's with the goal keepers,its a gift you are born with.

Having said that if Armstrong started at home with Malula, I think Malula could benifit from the bustling Armstrong.

Of course you can coach that skill. Dropping a shoulder, picking your spot, all can be coached.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

26 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

You don't teach footballers how to do one on one's with the goal keepers,its a gift you are born with.

Having said that if Armstrong started at home with Malula, I think Malula could benifit from the bustling Armstrong.

I remember an England game where MOTD were reviewing the first half, during which, Rooney had scored with a one-on- one with the keeper and Lineker (who, like him or loathe him as a broadcaster, knew a thing or two about goal scoring), froze the action and drew attention to the fact that, just before Rooney put it past the goalie, his eyes”went dead”. I’m still not entirely sure what Lineker meant, but he said it was a vital characteristic that all natural finishers have. They played the clip about three times, that’s how important Lineker thought it was. 

Clearly,I’m no coach, but the gist I got from Lineker’s analysis, is that there are vital components of being a high-class finisher that are innate. If so, presumably, no amount of coaching will help. Mind you, counter-point, the whole “Barn Doors and Banjos” thing was thrown at Semenyo often on here in his early days (“only scores rebounds off the keeper”) 

Edited by Southport Red
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I remember an England game where MOTD were reviewing the first half, during which, Rooney had scored with a one-on- one with the keeper and Lineker (who, like him or loathe him as a broadcaster, knew a thing or two about goal scoring), froze the action and drew attention to the fact that, just before Rooney put it past the goalie, his eyes”went dead”. I’m still not entirely sure what Lineker meant, but he said it was a vital characteristic that all natural finishers have. They played the clip about three times, that’s how important Lineker thought it was. 

Clearly,I’m no coach, but the gist I got from Lineker’s analysis, is that there are vital components of being a high-class finisher that are innate. If so, presumably, no amount of coaching will help. Mind you, counter-point, the whole “Barn Doors and Banjos” thing was thrown at Semenyo often on here in his early days (“only scores rebounds off the keeper”) 

I saw some pictures recently of Wayne Rooney attending some presentation ceremony, and one of the first things I noticed was that his eyes looked dead.

Perhaps, as several on here have mentioned, it is a natural thing and something he was born with.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Looks very much the player he clearly was when he came on at Loftus Rd last season

Won't be a Champ player for long, either he will figure out his weaknesses and dominate PL defences or drift down the leagues like many with his qualities before him 

This is spot on and was exactly what I was thinking.

I like him, he’s pacy, strong and direct.  Rough diamond sure, but if he finds some confidence infront of goal he could absolutely rocket - reminds me a lot like the first time I saw Ade Akinbiyi for Gillingham,  without the finishing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I saw some pictures recently of Wayne Rooney attending some presentation ceremony, and one of the first things I noticed was that his eyes looked dead.

Perhaps, as several on here have mentioned, it is a natural thing and something he was born with.

I saw a picture recently of Wayne Rooney and just hope he doesn't play in goal when we face Plymouth.... however his eyes look.

image.png.e20dbb4a1a12de8f32c2fdc645f89194.png

If City had taken a punt and bought him for a lower league club for a small fee it would have made sense. He could then have been a long term prospect who was gradually eased into the team after some coaching. Instead he’s a first choice striker who the coaching staff seem to think will instantly develop into a goal scorer. Why they think this, as his QPR record of 3 in 63 suggests otherwise, is a mystery 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I saw a picture recently of Wayne Rooney and just hope he doesn't play in goal when we face Plymouth.... however his eyes look.

image.png.e20dbb4a1a12de8f32c2fdc645f89194.png

All joking aside, he really doesn’t look very healthy at all.

I seem to recall reading that he likes a drink (or several), and I hope he is receiving appropriate medical advice.

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

All joking aside, he really doesn’t look very healthy at all.

I seem to recall reading that he likes a drink (or several), and I hope he is receiving appropriate medical advice.

He was always going to be the sort to go that way when he retired. That sort of body shape. You watch Luke Shaw when he retires. 

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Can’t see Sinclair learning much about finishing from a Nobel peace prize winner.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

The most disappointing aspect of SA is how weak he hits the ball, most shots are like a weak pass back. When we had Semenyo in the early days he was similar, but could hit a ball so hard with little back lift, not sure if it can be taught or just natural strength. Would like to see SA given a run as more of a wide striker with Fally or Nakki  in the middle, may take the pressure off a bit

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The most disappointing aspect of SA is how weak he hits the ball, most shots are like a weak pass back. When we had Semenyo in the early days he was similar, but could hit a ball so hard with little back lift, not sure if it can be taught or just natural strength. Would like to see SA given a run as more of a wide striker with Fally or Nakki  in the middle, may take the pressure off a bit

I've always thought Sinc's would be better as a winger and provider of others, even though his lay off play wasnt great when he started. I've seen better amatuer strikers with better goal instincts. I had hoped he'd moved away from being a failed sprinter who started playing football. I think he needs to accept he's not a CF and stay out wide and bring other players into the attack.

• Like 2

Based on stats alone, his Conversion Rate isn't the worst..

11% last time I looked plus an Assist albeit the First Goal and Assist came Matchday 2. Has good attributes but has also missed 6 Big Chances vs 2 Goals, which feels too high.

Raw materials and age on his side, left sided forward or winger could be a decent shout.

8 minutes ago, Qpr Fan said:

I've always thought Sinc's would be better as a winger and provider of others, even though his lay off play wasnt great when he started. I've seen better amatuer strikers with better goal instincts. I had hoped he'd moved away from being a failed sprinter who started playing football. I think he needs to accept he's not a CF and stay out wide and bring other players into the attack.

I assume that it was you who posted on here that we’d signed an athlete but not a footballer - those words have stuck with me and having watched him at AG I see exactly what you meant.

Antione Semenyo, now at B’mouth was similar to Armstrong and when he first broke into the first team he played out wide but couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo. However his ability to bully and outpace defenders were a real creative asset. Over time he developed into a real class act and City got around £8m when he moved into the PL.

Manning wasn’t at the club back then but other senior staff were and maybe they saw the same potential in Armstrong that Semenyo had.

I agree that Armstrong could be more of a threat if he played out wide taking on a more creative role - but I seriously doubt that Manning has the nouse to see that………:cool2:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Qpr Fan said:

Not a striker as many QPR fans told me when we signed him, or play him alongside Mayulu/wide. It’s not working and baffling how Manning doesn’t change things up. 

• Haha 1

He's got the 15th best shots on target % in the division, coupled with the 6th highest total number of shots on target. So he's doing well there. He's taking the shots, and he's hitting the target. Are they good shots? Well his xG per shot is ok, not the best, but it's ok. 

Basically the numbers suggest that he's getting a bit unlucky, and he's definitely not a write-off. Hopefully it starts to fall for him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Not a striker as many QPR fans told me when we signed him, or play him alongside Mayulu/wide. It’s not working and baffling how Manning doesn’t change things up. 

Manning , change things ?????  Nah mate , unlikely 🤣

The thing is the football isn't working , that spell against Cardiff when we needed a goal and the players upped the tempo was good . Other wise it comes across as safe and tedious .
With Armstrong we have an easy outlet , stick it towards him and let him run. He terrorised the Cardiff CB for the early part of the game last week . The problem is Manning does all the prep, all the planning and all the organisation before the game . That includes Subs it seems , 60 minutes X for Y etc. He can't or won't adjust . 
Mayulu needs the sort of service that we just can't supply , Armstrong is the easy answer that papers over cracks without fixing anything. 

I like him , I'd stick with him , but he needs help and I'd try playing another striker along side him. The thing is Twine must play and if he doesn't play that 10 role everyone will look stupid. 

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's got the 15th best shots on target % in the division, coupled with the 6th highest total number of shots on target. So he's doing well there. He's taking the shots, and he's hitting the target. Are they good shots? Well his xG per shot is ok, not the best, but it's ok. 

Basically the numbers suggest that he's getting a bit unlucky, and he's definitely not a write-off. Hopefully it starts to fall for him.

Stats don’t always tally with what we see with our own eyes………:dunno:

So far we’ve all witnessed that he’s not a natural finisher but then neither was Semenyo when he made the first team - he gradually improved the more games he played.

I remember Semenyo getting some fearful criticism on here because of his poor finishing …..……:cool2: I can certainly see some comparisons between the two.

• Hmmm 1

We’ve had raw talent before. Bolasie, who we had no patience with and turned out to be a big mistake. Semenyo was also a raw talent but we learned to be patient, coach him and sold him for big profit.

Both of these players show you can coach quality into them. Said in my own post about Armstrong, I don’t see an out and out striker in him. Coach him to be the next Semenyo. Use his pace and strength to hurt people. Don’t rely on him to score the goals, use him to create goals on and off the ball.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

We’ve had raw talent before. Bolasie, who we had no patience with and turned out to be a big mistake. Semenyo was also a raw talent but we learned to be patient, coach him and sold him for big profit.

Both of these players show you can coach quality into them. Said in my own post about Armstrong, I don’t see an out and out striker in him. Coach him to be the next Semenyo. Use his pace and strength to hurt people. Don’t rely on him to score the goals, use him to create goals on and off the ball.

This would require a complete overhaul of Manning ball. But hey. Mr Manning might not always be here. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

The trouble is that the coaches that transformed Semenyo have all gone.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Qpr Fan said:

I like him a lot. When it goes wrong, bloody hell it looks awful! If he can improve his finishing he will be an unbelievable player. Built like a fridge and fast as hell. Already got 2 so far and is still overall quite good at leading the line - even if the obvious flaws can frustrate.

Would be better as the second striker in a partnership although this is something Manning clearly will not do.

Edited by The Nest Egg

18 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I was going to type something but this is better, and more accurate, than what I’d have come up with.

Love to see what he could do in a front two though.

It’s definitely a composure thing with him in front of goal as he’s shown he can do it such as against Cheltenham in pre season and generally in warm ups he slots them away

He does need to improve this sharpish as otherwise he simply won’t score enough goals to stay in the team and we’re seeing this already tbh

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Basshead64 said:

Trouble is who's  coaching it down there 🤔

I doubt we have a "finishing" coach or "shooting" coach or even "defensive" coach. Just 27 passing coaches , separated into short , sideways and back :whistle2:

19 hours ago, Qpr Fan said:

I like his effort still more to come if we had a decent manager or a good coach to bring the best out of him .

• Like 3

For me Armstrong always seems to  break clear on those gut busting runs on the left side of the pitch. He needs to shift over to the right more and his team mates play him in, where he can  put his right foot through the ball using his obvious power. Approaching the goal from the left means he can't do that so easily unless he's able to switch  the ball from left to right which can be difficult. Of course be could work his t-ts off and practice using his left foot.

Edited by WECANDO
Alteration.

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

I assume that it was you who posted on here that we’d signed an athlete but not a footballer - those words have stuck with me and having watched him at AG I see exactly what you meant.

Antione Semenyo, now at B’mouth was similar to Armstrong and when he first broke into the first team he played out wide but couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo. However his ability to bully and outpace defenders were a real creative asset. Over time he developed into a real class act and City got around £8m when he moved into the PL.

Manning wasn’t at the club back then but other senior staff were and maybe they saw the same potential in Armstrong that Semenyo had.

I agree that Armstrong could be more of a threat if he played out wide taking on a more creative role - but I seriously doubt that Manning has the nouse to see that………:cool2:

Difference being we didn’t start Semenyo up front on his own and expect him to score the goals to get us challenging for the playoffs. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Difference being we didn’t start Semenyo up front on his own and expect him to score the goals to get us challenging for the playoffs. 

Correct - why doesn’t Tinnion point the comparison between Armstrong and Semenyo to Manning? 

23 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

He's on fire and we mugged you. We're not a selling club so no chance for a sell on and so you'll get eff all. He's like a really really good Semenyo and he wasn't a striker either. Next stop Premier League and it will be a neck and neck battle between Sincs and Haaland for the Golden Boot.

Yu having a laugh ?? 😂 

I will say, whilst he misses a lot of chances we equally miss him when he's not playing. Just the threat of his pace changes the way teams approach us and we lose any threat in behind when he goes off.

I don't think he's good enough right now to be leading our line, but he's also the striker that best suits our system and the supposed way we want to play. 

I think 20,000 of us every week want to see him with a partner even if it's just for 10 minutes 

Edited by hinsleburg
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I will say, whilst he misses a lot of chances we equally miss him when he's not playing. Just the threat of his pace changes the way teams approach us and we lose any threat in behind when he goes off.

I don't think he's good enough right now to be leading our line, but he's also the striker that best suits our system and the supposed way we want to play. 

I think 20,000 of us every week want to see him with a partner even if it's just for 10 minutes 

He needs someone to fill the space he leaves when he runs channels. A flaw in the system and / or the personnel. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He needs someone to fill the space he leaves when he runs channels. A flaw in the system and / or the personnel. 

Yep, a forward playing midfield player or a strike partner. Very few on here have a UEFA Pro License but sometimes the bloody obvious doesn’t require it!!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You can't coach someone to be a natural finisher. 

A 'natural, finisher is often said, but it is another fallacy, it is a learned skill, you were not born with it, kicking around a tennis ball, or in the slums of Brazil in the streets is where you learn. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

A 'natural, finisher is often said, but it is another fallacy, it is a learned skill, you were not born with it, kicking around a tennis ball, or in the slums of Brazil in the streets is where you learn. 

George Best said that when growing up in NI he played in kids street games- 1 football and about 50 kids. The trick for him was if he managed to get the ball- he had to keep it. He learnt but you have to start out with basic ability or I'd have played for Bareclona as opposed to my school D team on a sloping pitch at Beggars Bush.

• Thanks 1

Two already means he’s on course for 8-10 for the season, not terrible. I like him. The finishing will come.

It’s not his fault he’s at a club set up for failure, nor is it his fault he’s been brought in under false pretences of a play-off push. 

Lansdown’s out btw.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

I can think of several strikers who were ‘natural born finishers’ The obvious one is one who played for us Tony ‘tap in’ Thorpe. Do bugger all for 85mins and finish the game with a brace…….…..:dunno:

Players like the late Jimmy Greaves, Gert Muller, Ian Rush, Gary Lineker we’re all  in the right place at the right time. It’s an instinct that clubs pay mega bucks for.

In the modern day currently there aren’t that many around. No striker can be taught that instinct. They either have or they don’t.

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yu Twine Armstrong

Mayulu/Wells

One way to go or at least try?

Sykes and Mehmeti first reserve, then we have Bell and maybe even Benarous and Cornick to consider in extremis for wider areas.

Yu Wells Twine

Armstrong

Wells was used there a lot in pre season and in the first two competitive games. Worth giving it a go?

• Hmmm 1

25 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Yu Wells Twine

Armstrong

Wells was used there a lot in pre season and in the first two competitive games. Worth giving it a go?

Twine on the left, Wells feels a bit shoehorned.

Wells was mainly there vs 3rd and 4th tier opposition, Willem II the exception. Do like Wells but it feels a bit forced and shoehorned.

Yu Twine Armstrong

Wells

Feels more natural to me.

Ah yes you did mention the first 2, but why..what if Earthy almost forgot him.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

I don’t think you start learning it though at 21 and 70 odd games under your belt. 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

I don’t think you start learning it though at 21 and 70 odd games under your belt. 

I agree. Think it's more a confidence thing. Rabbit in headlights. The trouble is he's our main striker in a team supposedly aiming for top 6 & most likely being paid at least 10k a week probably more. In that context it seems crazy that we're talking about coaching him to score goals!! 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

If we had other players who were scoring it would be less of an issue. Frankly, I don't think we have any natural finishers in the whole squad. Nahki was, back in the day, but doesn't often get in the right positions now to get many chances.

I honestly can't think of one of our players I'd be confident of scoring if put through one on one with a goalie. So we can't put too much blame on SA for our lack of goals imo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

If we had other players who were scoring it would be less of an issue. Frankly, I don't think we have any natural finishers in the whole squad. Nahki was, back in the day, but doesn't often get in the right positions now to get many chances.

I honestly can't think of one of our players I'd be confident of scoring if put through one on one with a goalie. So we can't put too much blame on SA for our lack of goals imo.

I don’t think it has to be about ‘blame’. The facts are though he’s missed 5/6 one on ones this season in a side struggling for goals. 

A ‘natural’ finisher is just that. They do exist. They are football- intelligent, almost sub-consciously they can spot a gap, will anticipate where a ball/pass will end up, adjust their body position perfectly to strike a ball, pick the right shot/header selection, anticipate what an opponent will do - all in a micro-second. 

You can teach it. However, at top level football micro-seconds are critical. If you are ‘programmed’ by coaching, as opposed to having ‘natural’ intelligence you will inevitably have to think about what you’re doing rather than do things automatically/ ‘naturally’. You lose micro-seconds which will allow top defenders/keepers time to block/shot stop. 

Clearly, Armstrong while having the gift of a natural athlete, wasn’t at the front of the queue in terms of natural forward playing abilities. 

31 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I don’t think it has to be about ‘blame’. The facts are though he’s missed 5/6 one on ones this season in a side struggling for goals. 

How many of those should he have scored.

How many of them were clean through, no defender bearing down on him, centre-pitch, just goalie to beat.  None.

”one on one” is made to sound like every one should be scored.  The evidence of my approaching 50 years of watching football at all levels, is that it’s not the case, anything but…and even less when you take every situation into it, e.g. angle, how far out, defender(s) position, etc.  And that’s nothing to do with xG.

Working backwards:

Cardiff 29th minute - pass from Twine - muscles marker on edge of box, poor touch, narrows angle, worsens the chance, shoots wide

Swansea 48th minute - pass from Mehmeti - open ground, tame effort at keeper trying to open up onto right foot, but with Darling stopping him cutting in.

Blackburn 85th minute - pass from Yu a bit heavy into the box, angle tightening, bouncing ball, keeper on top of him, hits keeper at point blank

Derby 8th minute - pass from Twine in left channel received 40 yards out, past defender, who stays with him, angle of corner of box, trying to open his body and under challenge, keeper saves

Derby 20th minute - slid in just left of centre by Twine, on left boot, but defender alongside him, stopping him cutting across. Left foot shot saved, straight at keeper.

Coventry 26th minute - pass from Twine, Armstrong second best, but muscles defender, but by time he can shoot, keeper it’s out to smother, brave to shoot.

Coventry 33rd minute - pass from Sykes, Armstrong second best but muscles defender to win the ball, but dragged back and has to wait for ball and defender is between him and goal by the time he can shoot, blocked.

”missed” 5/6?  In some cases he’s actually made the chance himself!!

Might a different forward have scored one, maybe two?  Possibly.  But most of these 7 chances weren’t easy.

Imagine if another forward had been playing with him for a pass instead of him being all alone.  In most of these there isn’t another City player within 25 yards of him.

Yes, Armstrong could’ve done a bit better, but if the head coach has designed a system to create 1v1 chances, he’s picked the wrong striker to be on the end of them.  I think he’s getting a bit of unfair stick.  Look at the two goals he’s scored and even the ones preseason.  Not 1v1s.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How many of them were clean through, no defender bearing down on him, centre-pitch, just goalie to beat.  None.

”one on one” is made to sound like every one should be scored.  The evidence of my approaching 50 years of watching football at all levels, is that it’s not the case, anything but…and even less when you take every situation into it, e.g. angle, how far out, defender(s) position, etc.  And that’s nothing to do with xG.

Working backwards:

Cardiff 29th minute - pass from Twine - muscles marker on edge of box, poor touch, narrows angle, worsens the chance, shoots wide

Swansea 48th minute - pass from Mehmeti - open ground, tame effort at keeper trying to open up onto right foot, but with Darling stopping him cutting in.

Blackburn 85th minute - pass from Yu a bit heavy into the box, angle tightening, bouncing ball, keeper on top of him, hits keeper at point blank

Derby 8th minute - pass from Twine in left channel received 40 yards out, past defender, who stays with him, angle of corner of box, trying to open his body and under challenge, keeper saves

Derby 20th minute - slid in just left of centre by Twine, on left boot, but defender alongside him, stopping him cutting across. Left foot shot saved, straight at keeper.

Coventry 26th minute - pass from Twine, Armstrong second best, but muscles defender, but by time he can shoot, keeper it’s out to smother, brave to shoot.

Coventry 33rd minute - pass from Sykes, Armstrong second best but muscles defender to win the ball, but dragged back and has to wait for ball and defender is between him and goal by the time he can shoot, blocked.

Might a different forward have scored one, maybe two?  Possibly.  But most of these 7 chances weren’t easy.

Imagine if another forward had been playing with him for a pass instead of him being all alone.  In most of these there isn’t another City player within 25 yards of him.

Yes, Armstrong could’ve done a bit better, but if the head coach has designed a system to create 1v1 chances, he’s picked the wrong striker to be on the end of them.  I think he’s getting a bit of unfair stick.  Look at the two goals he’s scored and even the ones preseason.  Not 1v1s.

Agree its not his fault. He's not a clinical finisher & shouldn't be our main striker. Either play him alongside someone or wide of a 3 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Working backwards:

Hes not looked liked scoring a single one of those chances to me. The fact he’s playing on his own is down to the manager and imo probably a separate conversation as this is about his ability to score as if we’re going to rely on him for our goals then we’re in trouble. He probably is getting some unfair stick mainly due to the recruitment and the way he’s being played. However I’d be critical of any championship striker that keeps missing the chances he has. He Took his goal well v chelt for sure, however i thought the keeper could have saved his shot v Milwall tbf.

7 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Hes not looked liked scoring a single one of those chances to me. The fact he’s playing on his own is down to the manager and imo probably a separate conversation as this is about his ability to score as if we’re going to rely on him for our goals then we’re in trouble. He probably is getting some unfair stick mainly due to the recruitment and the way he’s being played. However I’d be critical of any championship striker that keeps missing the chances he has. He Took his goal well v chelt for sure, however i thought the keeper could have saved his shot v Milwall tbf.

Think his total xG is 2.82 this season for his two goals.

It’s still a small sample, let’s see where he is Xmas.  But all his 1v1s have required shots outside of the lines of the posts.  His two goals come from between the posts.  Keep him mid-goals he’ll possibly do ok.

He’s not a finisher. I ain’t arguing that.