IGNORED

I miss the Eighties...

Superjack

5 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Oh for the good old days when even the diseases were better.

Screw COVID, I raise you polio, consumption, tuberculosis, septicemia, and lice. Great days, COYR.

Exactly. 

We made our own diseases in Britain in those days. 🇬🇧

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Screw COVID, I raise you polio, consumption, tuberculosis, septicemia, and lice. Great days, COYR.

And that was just at half time 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, supercidered said:

Ahhhh yes.

The piss filled concrete trough at the side of the old East End. Happy Days indeed. If I close my eyes I can still smell it.

Hmmm, maybe time you called the plumber?

Edited by 42nite
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yozzarian said:

I agree with all of this accept the music. Music in the 80s was often incredible. New Wave, Synth Pop, the big 4 of Thrash at their peak. I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, there was some great music in the 80's, but the vast vast majority was awful which is why I specified chart music. SAW, AOR, New Romantics....

I saw my first proper gig in the early 80s (Motorhead), you mention the big 4 of thrash, I got to see Metallica with Cliff Burton etc etc

But it doesn't change the fact that I think the 70s were best for music

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I don't miss Chester (the only one of those I've been to). The town's nice, the ground...hmmm

As for 1980s music, the Stone Roses, The Pixies, The Chameleons, The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order at their pomp, the British Indie scene...some wonderful stuff. 

There was some absolute shi-ite, for sure. But there always is. 

I don't hate all 80s music just most chart music of the era. When the appalling Human League had the best selling single of 81 I went looking for other forms of music and truly discovered the Blues, Folk, Country, Jazz and Classical including Opera a form where the tragic story lines are nevertheless less depressing than the Smiths. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't hate all 80s music just most chart music of the era. When the appalling Human League had the best selling single of 81 I went looking for other forms of music and truly discovered the Blues, Folk, Country, Jazz and Classical including Opera a form where the tragic story lines are nevertheless less depressing than the Smiths. 

I have never found The Smiths depressing. More cathartic. 

Maybe says more about me than them though. 😅

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The Smiths can also make me laugh out loud. Wonderful lyrics 

23 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I have never found The Smiths depressing. More cathartic. 

Maybe says more about me than them though. 😅

One of the most rediculous groups I've heard.

Can't stand them.

• Like 3

Football in the 80s or football in the 20 somethings.

No comparison, the 80s every time. Football is sanitised commercial garbage nowadays (grounds are like libraries nowadays) and most young uns on here missed out on it. Shame really as many will never know.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fisherrich said:

No comparison, the 80s every time. Football is sanitised commercial garbage nowadays (grounds are like libraries nowadays) and most young uns on here missed out on it. Shame really as many will never know.

Kids today miss out on so much compared to how good it used to be.

And don't let me even get started on going to church or joining the cubs....

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, fisherrich said:

When you say "grounds are like libraries", do you mean that you're unlikely to be beaten up, or to hear racist or sexist abuse?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Harry said:

Great decade for films too. 
They don’t make anything great any more. 80’s has more iconic films than any decade I’d wager 

90's for films, for me

On 14/10/2024 at 19:20, Mad Cyril said:

You missed out diphtheria 

19 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Fair point, well made. Good and bad in every decade I guess

Very true.

I'd start by saying I loved the 80's , the music ( not charts ) , I loved the football (even though we were shit poor ) and I had a job I enjoyed.
But to balance it out , the Football was shit poor ( I loved it though ) , a lot of the music was poor and I got married ( the practice Wife as the current Mrs Maaan calls it) 

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Very true.

I'd start by saying I loved the 80's , the music ( not charts ) , I loved the football (even though we were shit poor ) and I had a job I enjoyed.
But to balance it out , the Football was shit poor ( I loved it though ) , a lot of the music was poor and I got married ( the practice Wife as the current Mrs Maaan calls it) 

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

I think 80s charts are incomparable to today, there was some very innovative music that made the charts.

TFF, OMD, Depeche Mode, Duran, Simple Minds, U2, The Cure, Eurythmics, Ultravox, Inxs etc, etc...the early 80s was good imo. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think 80s charts are incomparable to today, there was some very innovative music that made the charts.

TFF, OMD, Depeche Mode, Duran, Simple Minds, U2, The Cure, Eurythmics, Ultravox, Inxs etc, etc...the early 80s was good imo. 

The thing that surprised me when I looked back at charts, was how much crap made up the bulk of it. 
Totally agree with what you say , early synth / electro , new wave and that Goth inspired stuff. But it's like when I looked back at the late 70's charts, thinking that there was Punk , Mod , 2Tone and loads of interesting little sub genres popping up. Only to realise most of the stuff I liked only troubled the charts now and then .
And of course peak chart thing, you got Al Dolce (?) keeping Ultravox from No.1 . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The thing that surprised me when I looked back at charts, was how much crap made up the bulk of it. 
Totally agree with what you say , early synth / electro , new wave and that Goth inspired stuff. But it's like when I looked back at the late 70's charts, thinking that there was Punk , Mod , 2Tone and loads of interesting little sub genres popping up. Only to realise most of the stuff I liked only troubled the charts now and then .
And of course peak chart thing, you got Al Dolce (?) keeping Ultravox from No.1 . 

Rolling Stone Magazines top album for the 80’s was released in 1979 - says it all about 80’s music.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

What’s the matter, you?

(Joe Dolce)

Edited by Davefevs

On 13/10/2024 at 22:32, richwwtk said:

City spent most of that decade in the bottom two divisions.

Football in general was dying on it's arse with plummeting attendances and severe underinvestment.

The government hated football and did what they could to make life difficult, along with the police.

Yes there was an 'edge' about going to matches, but that was due to hooliganism and I woud be quite happy to never see that rear it's head again.

A return to the old terraces might be fun, but we all know why that will never happen, and safe standing just isn't a substitute in my eyes.

You call it sanitised, yet all that has happened is things that would be completely unacceptable in any other walk of life have been removed from the game, be it violence, racism or whatever.

Yes, the board were more accessible (mainly due to there being less money), but I don't really ever remember them coming under much pressure from the fans, if anything they were supported more by the fans as there was an 'all in it together' atmospehere around the place following '82.

Throw in the fashions of the era, a Thatcher government and the bloody godawful music that made up the charts and it was a pretty terrible time, all things considered.

Agre with lots here 

But why because a board has more money can they expect to be less accessible to the fans?

7 hours ago, Red Cyril 2 said:

Agre with lots here 

But why because a board has more money can they expect to be less accessible to the fans?

Unfortunately it's the way of money. The more anyone has, the less accessible to ordinary people they become. In all walks of life.

It shouldn't be like that, but it is.

Not necessarily the fault of the people with the money. A few people can become more and more entitled towards the people with money meaning that the rich have to cut themselves off. It works both ways.

It's the reason why, wherever you go, more wealth inequality leads to more general unrest and unhappiness.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Unfortunately it's the way of money. The more anyone has, the less accessible to ordinary people they become. In all walks of life.

It shouldn't be like that, but it is.

Not necessarily the fault of the people with the money. A few people can become more and more entitled towards the people with money meaning that the rich have to cut themselves off. It works both ways.

It's the reason why, wherever you go, more wealth inequality leads to more general unrest and unhappiness.

Yes indeed. My comment had a large slice of cynicism in it. It's just so wrong on do many levels. This modern world needs a bloody good  shake up and sort it self out.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2024 at 20:02, 1960maaan said:

Don't , please don't :nono: 

Got no respect :whistle:

:laughcont:

i will throw the dickies into the mix, not no1 but did banana splits,  splodge did some daft ones but were funny, two pints  and two little boys hit the charts.

im going to see adam ant with some friends next month, his first gig at cambridge postponed tonight, hes caught a stinker of a cold since flying over from america. 

I was born in 85 so it was the near immediate aftermath of the club following 1982 and the AG8. 

Early memories of watching city was seeing and cheering for super bob but that may have been early 90s as opposed to his first season in 89 but I was going to games in my very early years. Memory is hazy at the best of times, let alone 35 years ago.

I also used to go and watch the gas at twerton park as family were rovers fans. Grandad took me to both city and rovers and made me decide who to support. To spite my uncles and cousins, I chose city. But watching both appeared to be a done thing many many years ago (as in the 50s and 60s, not necessarily the 80s)

40 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I was born in 85 so it was the near immediate aftermath of the club following 1982 and the AG8. 

Early memories of watching city was seeing and cheering for super bob but that may have been early 90s as opposed to his first season in 89 but I was going to games in my very early years. Memory is hazy at the best of times, let alone 35 years ago.

I also used to go and watch the gas at twerton park as family were rovers fans. Grandad took me to both city and rovers and made me decide who to support. To spite my uncles and cousins, I chose city. But watching both appeared to be a done thing many many years ago (as in the 50s and 60s, not necessarily the 80s)

My first City game was 1963 I think.  In saying that watching both City & Rovers was very common back in the day.

23 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My first City game was 1963 I think.  In saying that watching both City & Rovers was very common back in the day.

It was, I worked at British Aerospace ( BAC then) back in the day, I've supported City since I was 10 and seen well over 1000 City games but there was a group of City lads at work who would go to Eastville when City were away  somewhere far up north ....I  tagged along a few times........ tour every shoe shop in Broadmead with the missis or pub with mates and see a game of football in the open air??  Tough choice!

In our defence we never paid a penny to the gas, an old retired BAE mate was on the gate duty issuing the pass out tickets and for the price of a beer he'd let us in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

In our defence we never paid a penny to the gas, an old retired BAE mate was on the gate duty issuing the pass out tickets and for the price of a beer he'd let us in.

He'd have to buy me more than one beer to get me in to watch that rabble!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

My two favourite seasons were 83/84 and 89/90. Visited some right middens, caught a lot of trains and got outrageously blootered most of the time, but by Christ it was fun.

89/90 undoubtedly, my favourite season by a mile. Never felt like we were going to lose. Big away followings, great banter. Joyous.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Believe it or not, I quite often enjoy a snack of bread and dripping, accompanied by a glass of red wine.

It is called Rillettes, and is actually quite tasty.

I'm sure it tastes very nice.

How are your cholesterol levels doing?