IGNORED

I miss the Eighties...

Superjack

5 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Oh for the good old days when even the diseases were better.

Screw COVID, I raise you polio, consumption, tuberculosis, septicemia, and lice. Great days, COYR.

Exactly. 

We made our own diseases in Britain in those days. 🇬🇧

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Oh for the good old days when even the diseases were better.

Screw COVID, I raise you polio, consumption, tuberculosis, septicemia, and lice. Great days, COYR.

And that was just at half time 

10 hours ago, supercidered said:

Ahhhh yes.

The piss filled concrete trough at the side of the old East End. Happy Days indeed. If I close my eyes I can still smell it.

Hmmm, maybe time you called the plumber?

Edited by 42nite
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yozzarian said:

I agree with all of this accept the music. Music in the 80s was often incredible. New Wave, Synth Pop, the big 4 of Thrash at their peak. I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, there was some great music in the 80's, but the vast vast majority was awful which is why I specified chart music. SAW, AOR, New Romantics....

I saw my first proper gig in the early 80s (Motorhead), you mention the big 4 of thrash, I got to see Metallica with Cliff Burton etc etc

But it doesn't change the fact that I think the 70s were best for music

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I don't miss Chester (the only one of those I've been to). The town's nice, the ground...hmmm

As for 1980s music, the Stone Roses, The Pixies, The Chameleons, The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order at their pomp, the British Indie scene...some wonderful stuff. 

There was some absolute shi-ite, for sure. But there always is. 

I don't hate all 80s music just most chart music of the era. When the appalling Human League had the best selling single of 81 I went looking for other forms of music and truly discovered the Blues, Folk, Country, Jazz and Classical including Opera a form where the tragic story lines are nevertheless less depressing than the Smiths. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't hate all 80s music just most chart music of the era. When the appalling Human League had the best selling single of 81 I went looking for other forms of music and truly discovered the Blues, Folk, Country, Jazz and Classical including Opera a form where the tragic story lines are nevertheless less depressing than the Smiths. 

I have never found The Smiths depressing. More cathartic. 

Maybe says more about me than them though. 😅

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The Smiths can also make me laugh out loud. Wonderful lyrics 

Football in the 80s or football in the 20 somethings.

No comparison, the 80s every time. Football is sanitised commercial garbage nowadays (grounds are like libraries nowadays) and most young uns on here missed out on it. Shame really as many will never know.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fisherrich said:

No comparison, the 80s every time. Football is sanitised commercial garbage nowadays (grounds are like libraries nowadays) and most young uns on here missed out on it. Shame really as many will never know.

Kids today miss out on so much compared to how good it used to be.

And don't let me even get started on going to church or joining the cubs....

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, fisherrich said:

When you say "grounds are like libraries", do you mean that you're unlikely to be beaten up, or to hear racist or sexist abuse?