IGNORED

TT for England Manager

Was really hoping we could tempt pep away. He’s done everything he can now at man city, the premier league and let’s face it, Europe. Just something about a German managing the England national team doesn’t sit right. That said of the other options available he’d be the best, not convinced by Howe in the slightest. We need a “cup” manager and TT has proved he can do it. Howe for me is someone that needs to be in and around a club working daily with everyone. If we can’t get Pep then TT or Jose would be the next best. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Negan said:

Was really hoping we could tempt pep away. He’s done everything he can now at man city, the premier league and let’s face it, Europe. Just something about a German managing the England national team doesn’t sit right. That said of the other options available he’d be the best, not convinced by Howe in the slightest. We need a “cup” manager and TT has proved he can do it. Howe for me is someone that needs to be in and around a club working daily with everyone. If we can’t get Pep then TT or Jose would be the next best. 

League One and two titles plus Leyland Daf / Freight Rover Trophy(or whatever its called nowadays) could entice him for a few more years.

1 hour ago, Negan said:

I’ve been hoping the same about Pep. Not sure how likely it will ever be, but I’d love to see what he could do with England. 

I don’t know that much about Tuchel, but he seems to have a reputation of being a top coach/manager so I’d be happy if he was appointed. 

,,, we

14 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

Well appointing him will be a very good upgrade on anything we have had as manager of the national side in donkeys years. Just look at at his cv. Impressed by this.

Quite agree id take him over Howe or potter, this morning pepe was getting the job and by dinner it was Thomas, wonder who it Will be tonight!

Every team he’s taken over he’s made worse. 

PSG the year before he arrived won the title with 93 points and +79 goal difference. 
The season he took over they won it with 90 points and +70. 

It’s hard to judge success in the French league because PSG pretty much dominate every year. So the only judgement can be that they didn’t win it quite as well the year he was there. Sacked in his 2nd season with them lying 3rd!! 

Dortmund. 2nd in his first season. 3rd in his second season. Worse.

Munich - First manager in 12 years not to win the league!! 

Chelsea. Finished 3rd in his first (half) season. They were 4th the year before he arrived. But then proceeded to take them backwards having spent over a quarter of a billion pounds. 

Can someone explain to me why this guy is so revered?? He seems to take over high profile clubs and swiftly take them backwards?? 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 7
  • Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

Should really be an English manager, I reckon.

It’s always an interesting one for me, not sure their have been many if any foreign managers that lead the national team of the big European football winning nations like Italy/Spain/Germany/France

I read the GS was on about 6M quid as England boss- Guardiola must be at least double that at ManShitty. I wonder what salary would actually tempt Pep? The FA could afford it, probably.

If Guardiola can't win anything with the current crop, we may as well just give up

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I read the GS was on about 6M quid as England boss- Guardiola must be at least double that at ManShitty. I wonder what salary would actually tempt Pep? The FA could afford it, probably.

If Guardiola can't win anything with the current crop, we may as well just give up

One 'T' too many TonyTonyTony. It could've been you!

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

PSG the year before he arrived won the title with 93 points and +79 goal difference. 

It’s hard to judge success in the French league because PSG pretty much dominate every year. So the only judgement can be that they didn’t win it quite as well the year he was there. Sacked in his 2nd season with them lying 3rd!! 

Chelsea. Finished 3rd in his first (half) season. They were 4th the year before he arrived. But then proceeded to take them backwards having spent over a quarter of a billion pounds. 

Can someone explain to me why this guy is so revered?? He seems to take over high profile clubs and swiftly take them backwards?? 

Won the champions league.......but so did roberto di matteo and i wouldnt want him as england manager either

36 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I think I don't care what nationality the manager is I just want to see attacking football

I just want us to win the World Cup, don’t care how we do it.

The fact we have only won it once; when Germany & Italy have won it four times is a disgrace.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Ive heard that phrase several times in my life before *kicks cat*

If im in the FA im asking Pep to name his price. He won't want to manage Spain anyway as he is a Catalan

Not sure about that, explain why so many who have (including the current one) are Basques, then?

They absolutely love Castillans..

34 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Ive heard that phrase several times in my life before *kicks cat*

If im in the FA im asking Pep to name his price. He won't want to manage Spain anyway as he is a Catalan

If you got the job you could have sorted all the VIP tickets out! 😁

(Just joking, sorry to cross over threads and forums).

53 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I read the GS was on about 6M quid as England boss- Guardiola must be at least double that at ManShitty.

Does that include what Pep's paid "off the books"?:whistle2:

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Very much hand picked those stats there Harry.

Dortmund: took over when they were 7th from Klopp. Finished second, but 2nd highest ever points total for Dortmund. Season after, won them the cup.

PSG: Won everything domestically. First and only time PSG got to Champions League final.

Chelsea: Won the Champions League. Couple of other finals. But also heavily marred by off field (Ambramovich and Russia) antics.

Bayern: Won the Bundesliga. 

Long story short, he's won trophies at every club. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Old School B block said:

I’m not overly inspired but this alleged appointment. Klop or Pep for me. 

Klopp said he would not manage England and Pep is reported to be on £20m a year at City.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Jackson Lamb said:

Disappointing appointment if true. The English FA really do not get football. Never will. 

Nobody English is sadly good enough right now 

He's available so saves the FA paying compensation 

• Like 2

Can’t get onboard with a German in charge of England . They’re our biggest rivals other than the jocks which is more akin to city v gas. 
there were reports a few days ago that the FA didn’t want to spend £5m compensation on Eddie Howe incase people were upset it wasn’t spent on grass roots football. If that’s true then it’s pitiful. Tuchal will be on more money than Howe would have been on. 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Thomas Tuchel is the new England manager
  • Admin
2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Can’t get onboard with a German in charge of England . They’re our biggest rivals other than the jocks which is more akin to city v gas. 
there were reports a few days ago that the FA didn’t want to spend £5m compensation on Eddie Howe incase people were upset it wasn’t spent on grass roots football. If that’s true then it’s pitiful. Tuchal will be on more money than Howe would have been on. 

£6m - £7m according to talksport 

Just now, Markthehorn said:

Being German Tuchel will need to have an instant impact and not fall out with the media otherwise knives will be out for him early !

He ends up falling out with people at every club anyway!

As to press conferences he can be charming and amusing but he can also be pretty explosive. Won't be boring for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure that Pep Guardiola is at a point in his career yet where he'd be tempted by a move into international management. I don't think there's enough daily interaction for him. He'd also be taking a hell of a pay cut. 

I'm not sure about Tuchel but he should be good enough to at least get the talent at his disposal to hold station. We will have to wait and see. 

Southgate is useless!!! We need a real winner, a proper coach not a PE teacher!!!! He’s a yes man!!!! 

*hires probably the most elite level coach imaginable at knockout tournaments*

Not one like that!!!!!! He’s not English!!!!?

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He ends up falling out with people at every club anyway!

As to press conferences he can be charming and amusing but he can also be pretty explosive. Won't be boring for sure.

That’s my concern also, maybe if only with players intermittently he may not lose this particular dressing room, but I won’t hold my breath 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Lucky for us, the international football that matters the most isn’t a league!

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Southgate is useless!!! We need a real winner, a proper coach not a PE teacher!!!! He’s a yes man!!!! 

*hires probably the most elite level coach imaginable at knockout tournaments*

Not one like that!!!!!! He’s not English!!!!?

Watching Rob Dorsett on SSN who spent his time slagging off Southgate’s style of play, even when we were getting to the Euros final, now doing exactly what you are saying above. When he was then challenged about his assertion that ‘English fans and media aren’t going to like this’ he then said ‘oh yes yes, not me, I’m fine with it’.  The English media are poison when it comes to this job on the whole.  Copy edit paste whoever gets the job.   English coach would be great but we don’t have anyone if the FA don’t want Carsley - who I still would’ve been happy with.   Edit they are now going on about whether he will wear a poppy during armistice. Ffs!!!

Edited by lenred
  • Like 3

imo

i dont think it would work with PEP

For me he is the best manager in the world

but

The reason i dont think it would work is 

that it seem a player takes a good season bedding in at Man City before they really

get the tactics/style pep is getting across

If that is the case What chance has he got when he only has the players for a few days

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Maltshoveller said:

imo

but

that it seem a player takes a good season bedding in at Man City before they really

If that is the case What chance has he got when he only has the players for a few days

Good point to be fair. I can also see the argument about him being arguably ‘too’ elite for international management. Will two games a month, sometimes less, placate someone as insane (said with respect!) as Pep.

4 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

imo

but

And he's required an unlimited budget at every club as well.

Why would he expose himself to a situation where if things don't start well he can't just buy the world's best players?

32 minutes ago, Selred said:

Very much hand picked those stats there Harry.

Dortmund: took over when they were 7th from Klopp. Finished second, but 2nd highest ever points total for Dortmund. Season after, won them the cup.

PSG: Won everything domestically. First and only time PSG got to Champions League final.

Chelsea: Won the Champions League. Couple of other finals. But also heavily marred by off field (Ambramovich and Russia) antics.

Bayern: Won the Bundesliga. 

Long story short, he's won trophies at every club. 

Nah. Dunno about that to be honest mate. 
Let’s break it down a bit. 

Munich. Yeah, so he won the league. But he only came in with 10 games to go, won 6 of them, and only won it on the last day because Dortmund drew with Mainz!! 
It’s a win on his CV, but he was pretty late to the party on this one. 

Chelsea. Yeah, he won a champions league. During Covid. Against another English team in the final. Again, only came in half way through that season so was basically someone else’s team. And the Covid situation really affected football scores. I take all results in that period with a pinch of salt. Lost to Leicester in the Fa cup final! Then took them backwards at a rate of knots!

PSG. Yes, lots of silverware but come on, there was zero competition. He had a choice up front of MBappe, Neymar, Icardi & Cavani. He had Veratti, Paredes, Di Maria, a prime Thiago Silva and Marquinhos. 
It was harder to NOT win everything domestically in France. 
Yes, that team of wonder-players got the champions league final. And lost. Had to contend with Leipzig and Atalanta in the quarters and semi’s. 

Yes he’s got silverware and a good looking CV. But he’s had bloody good teams and players wherever he’s been and has slowly taken each of them backwards. 

I don’t get the hype to be honest. He’s been a very lucky manager in my opinion. 

• Like 3

Happy with this if confirmed.

So many near misses and coulda-woulda -shoulda with Southgate. Can anyone honestly say that GS got us playing to our full potential. Yes, he overachieved in terms of our overall historical record, but really failed to get the tactics and major decisions right in those critical moments (especially in the 2 Euro finals).

For me,  if Tuchel can get the right players playing in their right positions for the overall benefit of the team, then he should do well. The very opposite of what Carsley did against Greece, shoehorning all the ‘superstars’ in, and making us poor as a team. A continuation of the Gerard-Lampard debacle, really. If he’s prepared to leave out the likes of Foden, when necessary, then I for one will get fully behind this appointment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure about that, explain why so many who have (including the current one) are Basques, then?

They absolutely love Castillans..

Pep is not interested in managing Spain due to his politics. 

That has been well-known for some time, along with the fact he has expressed a desire to manage internationally after leaving club football.

Hence he has been courted by the likes of Argentina, England and Brazil for a while now.

He will likely leave Man City next summer, but presumably the FA couldn't wait.

Pep will probably take some time off next year and end up managing one of Brazil, Argentina, Italy, or Netherlands. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

And he's required an unlimited budget at every club as well.

Why would he expose himself to a situation where if things don't start well he can't just buy the world's best players?

This could apply to both Pep at Man city and also Tuchel at Chelsea.

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Pep is not interested in managing Spain due to his politics. 

That has been well-known for some time, along with the fact he has expressed a desire to manage internationally after leaving club football.

Hence he has been courted by the likes of Argentina, England and Brazil for a while now.

He will likely leave Man City next summer, but presumably the FA couldn't wait.

Pep will probably take some time off next year and end up managing one of Brazil, Argentina, Italy, or Netherlands. 

There is no reason why the FA couldn’t wait a little longer. We don’t have any competitions up and coming so it was the perfect opportunity to wait for Pep. Who I believe would love a crack at the England job.

From the outset, it’s another poor decision by the FA.

• Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Who? There aren’t any capable of being England manager.

I just think, at England level,  it should be the best of the nations managers, coaches and players. I think there's a case for foreign managers leading "lesser" footballing nations teams, Gary Johnson at Latvis, for example, but England is an elite football nation.

3 minutes ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

I just think, at England level,  it should be the best of the nations managers, coaches and players. I think there's a case for foreign managers leading "lesser" footballing nations teams, Gary Johnson at Latvis, for example, but England is an elite football nation.

But we haven’t won a damn thing for 58 years, hardly elite performance. Plus I believe an English manager has not won a major domestic trophy for 16 years. If we are serious about England winning the Euros or WC with the current, very talented squad, the appointment of Tuchel or someone of the same standard, is vital. 

• Like 1

I’m happy with that. A manager who appears to have been appointment on merit who’s won some silverware and who’s biggest footballing achievement isn’t ’got Boro relegated’.

I’ll Also be glad to see the back of ‘no recognised strikers’ and shoehorning TAA into the team at left back. Carsley would have been a disaster. 

But will Tuchel sing the nation anthem? If not… I will boo. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jackson Lamb said:

There is no reason why the FA couldn’t wait a little longer. We don’t have any competitions up and coming so it was the perfect opportunity to wait for Pep. Who I believe would love a crack at the England job.

From the outset, it’s another poor decision by the FA.

Waiting for Pep would mean appointing less than a year out from a World Cup with no guarantee of getting your man.

Maybe the FA did approach Pep but he wasn't willing to commit. Brazil and Argentina are pretty attractive options for him too...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Midred said:

This could apply to both Pep at Man city and also Tuchel at Chelsea.

Validish point

Very key difference is that one was already employed.

Tuchel also managed Augsburg and Mainz where his budget would have been far smaller.

And at Dortmund, while a larger budget than almost every other German side, Bayern could still blow them out the water on both fees and wages.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The imminent appointment of Tuchel fills me with an enthusiasm level of less than zero

Miles, miles better than Carsley. And Southgate. Problem is, he probably won’t get Southgate’s luck of the draw. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Miles, miles better than Carsley. And Southgate. Problem is, he probably won’t get Southgate’s luck of the draw. 

Let's wait and see.

Sven, McClaren and Capello had better CVs than Southgate. The first did well but not amazing, and the last two were complete disasters. 

Tuchel has a tough act to follow. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Let's wait and see.

Sven, McClaren and Capello had better CVs than Southgate. The first did well but not amazing, and the last two were complete disasters. 

Tuchel has a tough act to follow. 

He does, he simply has to win to something to be considered a success.

We have been in 2 finals and should really have won at least 1 tournament in the past 3. Regarding TT, his media skills lack so feel the press will push him in interviews to test his resolve. It was a surprising appointment, but could be a stroke of a genius!