IGNORED

TT for England Manager

First thoughts on this is… I’m not convinced. But of course time will tell! Personality wise he couldn’t be anymore different than Southgate.

Some players will have worked him previously at Chelsea and Bayern, but I hope he gives everybody a chance and is willing to look at players who play for the likes of Everton and West Ham.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Can’t get onboard with a German in charge of England . They’re our biggest rivals other than the jocks which is more akin to city v gas. 
there were reports a few days ago that the FA didn’t want to spend £5m compensation on Eddie Howe incase people were upset it wasn’t spent on grass roots football. If that’s true then it’s pitiful. Tuchal will be on more money than Howe would have been on. 

It's quite funny how us English consider the Germans our 'biggest' rivals. Having worked a lot in Germany trust me most Germans see the Italians and the Dutch as bigger rivals in a footballing sense.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Let's wait and see.

Sven, McClaren and Capello had better CVs than Southgate. The first did well but not amazing, and the last two were complete disasters. 

Tuchel has a tough act to follow. 

Yeh he does in a way, but GS was immeasurably lucky when it came to getting an easy draw. And I know that’s not something he could influence, but it’s something he benefitted greatly from. He did a good job of making our players perform below the level they should have been at. Sadly, we can’t count on that luck going forward… we need to start beating good teams. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

It's quite funny how us English consider the Germans our 'biggest' rivals. Having worked a lot in Germany trust me most Germans see the Italians and the Dutch as bigger rivals in a footballing sense.

They would do Italy win things

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Let's wait and see.

Sven, McClaren and Capello had better CVs than Southgate. The first did well but not amazing, and the last two were complete disasters. 

Tuchel has a tough act to follow. 

Southgate is getting flack from all directions but his "success" has put every single manger to follow him in the position where nothing but ultimate glory will be enough. 

Personally I think it's shocking that a football nation such as ours has been unable to select a suitable replacement from England but they've let the premier league take over english football so here we are. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yeh he does in a way, but GS was immeasurably lucky when it came to getting an easy draw. And I know that’s not something he could influence, but it’s something he benefitted greatly from. He did a good job of making our players perform below the level they should have been at. Sadly, we can’t count on that luck going forward… we need to start beating good teams. 

Well, he did influence it to a degree, because we won the groups.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Southgate is getting flack from all directions but his "success" has put every single manger to follow him in the position where nothing but ultimate glory will be enough. 

Personally I think it's shocking that a football nation such as ours has been unable to select a suitable replacement from England but they've let the premier league take over english football so here we are. 

Not for me - I’d have got rid of Southgate after the Italy game, that was the opportunity. Still, he absolutely did a great job changing the culture within the squad so i wish GS well in the future.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Well, he did influence it to a degree, because we won the groups.

Quite, and qualifying well, so we were always top seeds.

I'd blocked Hodgson from my mind (also a better CV than Southgate) who failed of course due to those tricky ties against the likes of Uruguay and Iceland. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Chelsea. Finished 3rd in his first (half) season. They were 4th the year before he arrived. But then proceeded to take them backwards having spent over a quarter of a billion pounds. 

Tuchel led the Blues to Champions League glory just months after taking charge in 2021 and also won the UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup with the London club. Not successful? His record at Chelsea averaged 2.07 points per game. 

• Like 3

I'm actually quite pleased the F.A are trying something new. This appointment I'm pretty sure nobody seen coming? People complaining that it should be an Englishman, please tell me who they would have over him? He has managed top European clubs, and won silverware with them. 

He likes to play attacking football. Lets just hope he can put together a winning formula with the current attacking options we have for the foreseeable. 

I honestly dont think we will be boring old England anymore!

Edited by CyderHead92
  • Like 2

Personally I think the manager of England should be English. I cannot imagine Germany appointing an Englishman, in fact I think I am correct in saying that they once appointed a former international, Klinsmann, who had no managerial experience at all and who did a pretty good job. People obsess over CVs. and we have plenty of former internationals that could step in and do a pretty good job too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

I just think, at England level,  it should be the best of the nations managers, coaches and players. I think there's a case for foreign managers leading "lesser" footballing nations teams, Gary Johnson at Latvis, for example, but England is an elite football nation.

An elite football nation with one World Cup victory to our name.

The FA obviously think that Tuchel is a better option than the English alternatives.

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, marshy said:

Personally I think the manager of England should be English. I cannot imagine Germany appointing an Englishman, in fact I think I am correct in saying that they once appointed a former international, Klinsmann, who had no managerial experience at all and who did a pretty good job. People obsess over CVs. and we have plenty of former internationals that could step in and do a pretty good job too.

Who? 

10 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Who? 

Well, given his ability to read a game when a player, and the decent job he has done at Middlesborough who were in a terrible state when he took over, I think Michael Carrick would be an interesting choice. Intelligent player, intelligent manager.

3 hours ago, Phantom said:

£6m - £7m according to talksport 

If that’s the main reason for not going after Howe then that’s a shambolic decision. I think Howe deserves it. What does that say to any English managers . I know we’re not blessed with top coaches at the moment but he should have been given the chance . 

I presume if they wanted an English manager without having to pay compensation Graham Potter would have been the one?

Well behind Lee Carsley who the FA probably hoped would do well and want the role..

I mean if money was no option they could have waited for Pep.

36 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

I'm actually quite pleased the F.A are trying something new. This appointment I'm pretty sure nobody seen coming? People complaining that it should be an Englishman, please tell me who they would have over him? He has managed top European clubs, and won silverware with them. 

He likes to play attacking football. Lets just hope he can put together a winning formula with the current attacking options we have for the foreseeable. 

I honestly dont think we will be boring old England anymore!

How much silverware did the current Spanish manager win prior to taking the national job? England V Germany and the England manager is German dear oh dear kind of dilutes it somewhat doesn't it 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old School B block said:

I’m not overly inspired but this alleged appointment. Klop or Pep for me. 

Yes in the best possible man for the job. Klop or Pep is a brilliant either or. But do they really want the England job ? 

22 minutes ago, marshy said:

Well, given his ability to read a game when a player, and the decent job he has done at Middlesborough who were in a terrible state when he took over, I think Michael Carrick would be an interesting choice. Intelligent player, intelligent manager.

But maybe not experienced enough in the managerial role? I don't know. Maybe in time he can crack out a good show of his mangerail career and be ready for the England job.

2 minutes ago, Red Cyril 2 said:

Yes in the best possible man for the job. Klop or Pep is a brilliant either or. But do they really want the England job ? 

You just said it mate the ENGLAND job the clue is right there on what the criteria should be.

2 minutes ago, Red Cyril 2 said:

Klopp has explicitly said he won't manage England. He's taken a cushy job at Red Bull but will be Germany manager the next time the job is available.

The FA approached Pep but he seems not to have been keen. Possibly because he's on £20m a year at City!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Nah. Dunno about that to be honest mate. 
Let’s break it down a bit. 

Munich. Yeah, so he won the league. But he only came in with 10 games to go, won 6 of them, and only won it on the last day because Dortmund drew with Mainz!! 
It’s a win on his CV, but he was pretty late to the party on this one. 

Chelsea. Yeah, he won a champions league. During Covid. Against another English team in the final. Again, only came in half way through that season so was basically someone else’s team. And the Covid situation really affected football scores. I take all results in that period with a pinch of salt. Lost to Leicester in the Fa cup final! Then took them backwards at a rate of knots!

PSG. Yes, lots of silverware but come on, there was zero competition. He had a choice up front of MBappe, Neymar, Icardi & Cavani. He had Veratti, Paredes, Di Maria, a prime Thiago Silva and Marquinhos. 
It was harder to NOT win everything domestically in France. 
Yes, that team of wonder-players got the champions league final. And lost. Had to contend with Leipzig and Atalanta in the quarters and semi’s. 

Yes he’s got silverware and a good looking CV. But he’s had bloody good teams and players wherever he’s been and has slowly taken each of them backwards. 

I don’t get the hype to be honest. He’s been a very lucky manager in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Tuchel led the Blues to Champions League glory just months after taking charge in 2021 and also won the UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup with the London club. Not successful? His record at Chelsea averaged 2.07 points per game. 

I refer you to my earlier answer. 

And if looking at win ratio. His record is not as good at Chelsea as Jose, Avram Grant, Conte, Sarri, Ancelotti, nor indeed Maresca. 
So the 7th best Chelsea manager of the last 15 years who just got there at a fortuitous time. 
The longer he was there the worse they got despite spending more than everyone 

• Hmmm 1

Ignoring the whys and whats and wherefores of Tuchel against other candidates.

The whole argument of “We’re England, the manager should be English” - and particularly the bit of “he’s German - euggh” grinds my gears somewhat.

One week ago, we were looking at Irish international Lee Carsley taking over and I didn’t see the arguments then.

More broadly, take this parallel - I run a U13s team. I’m in my 40s. I pick players for that team who qualify for that team but I’m the best (or the only one who’ll put their hand up) coach. But in terms of representation on the pitch, the players have to meet certain parameters (ie they must be U13) - and better than others at that age (or more pertinently a better team) if they want to win 

Thats all this is. It’s still a representation of the best footballers the country has to offer. The coaches nationality is neither here nor there. Lennox Lewis was a British world champion with American Manny Steward in his corner. The lionesses won the Euros with a Dutch coach. Bazball is played by Englishmen with a kiwi coach. This isn’t unique.

So, by all means debate on his abilities. His nationality? Nah.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 2

Tuchel is hard to gauge really.

On paper has a decent Record and st clubs but got sacked by Bayweb after form drastically deteriorated. Atlanta and Leipzig quite good and tactically awkward sides or have even m but anyway..

His Borussia Dortmund side were very decent, think he got sacked for non football reasons. Chelsea sacking him seems foolish but who knows...for all his League deterioration at Bayern, in the CL they were flying when he got sacked. No I got that wrong, it was Nagelsmann who got sacked when he'd won 6 Group Games and 2 knockout Games- 8/8 with no Goals conceded.

Screenshot_20241016-001058_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bccbac0360acfa8184ff13328230f151.jpgScreenshot_20241016-001112_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e6885541f449adc7d2fbb2e47ecbc9f5.jpg

That is fairly stellar but Tuchel ended that but maybe anyone would v Man City in 2023.