IGNORED

Tuchel for England Manager

Lorenzos Only Goal

First thoughts on this is… I’m not convinced. But of course time will tell! Personality wise he couldn’t be anymore different than Southgate.

Some players will have worked him previously at Chelsea and Bayern, but I hope he gives everybody a chance and is willing to look at players who play for the likes of Everton and West Ham.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Can’t get onboard with a German in charge of England . They’re our biggest rivals other than the jocks which is more akin to city v gas. 
there were reports a few days ago that the FA didn’t want to spend £5m compensation on Eddie Howe incase people were upset it wasn’t spent on grass roots football. If that’s true then it’s pitiful. Tuchal will be on more money than Howe would have been on. 

It's quite funny how us English consider the Germans our 'biggest' rivals. Having worked a lot in Germany trust me most Germans see the Italians and the Dutch as bigger rivals in a footballing sense.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Let's wait and see.

Sven, McClaren and Capello had better CVs than Southgate. The first did well but not amazing, and the last two were complete disasters. 

Tuchel has a tough act to follow. 

Yeh he does in a way, but GS was immeasurably lucky when it came to getting an easy draw. And I know that’s not something he could influence, but it’s something he benefitted greatly from. He did a good job of making our players perform below the level they should have been at. Sadly, we can’t count on that luck going forward… we need to start beating good teams. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Let's wait and see.

Sven, McClaren and Capello had better CVs than Southgate. The first did well but not amazing, and the last two were complete disasters. 

Tuchel has a tough act to follow. 

Southgate is getting flack from all directions but his "success" has put every single manger to follow him in the position where nothing but ultimate glory will be enough. 

Personally I think it's shocking that a football nation such as ours has been unable to select a suitable replacement from England but they've let the premier league take over english football so here we are. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yeh he does in a way, but GS was immeasurably lucky when it came to getting an easy draw. And I know that’s not something he could influence, but it’s something he benefitted greatly from. He did a good job of making our players perform below the level they should have been at. Sadly, we can’t count on that luck going forward… we need to start beating good teams. 

Well, he did influence it to a degree, because we won the groups.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Southgate is getting flack from all directions but his "success" has put every single manger to follow him in the position where nothing but ultimate glory will be enough. 

Personally I think it's shocking that a football nation such as ours has been unable to select a suitable replacement from England but they've let the premier league take over english football so here we are. 

Not for me - I’d have got rid of Southgate after the Italy game, that was the opportunity. Still, he absolutely did a great job changing the culture within the squad so i wish GS well in the future.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Chelsea. Finished 3rd in his first (half) season. They were 4th the year before he arrived. But then proceeded to take them backwards having spent over a quarter of a billion pounds. 

Tuchel led the Blues to Champions League glory just months after taking charge in 2021 and also won the UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup with the London club. Not successful? His record at Chelsea averaged 2.07 points per game. 

• Like 3

I'm actually quite pleased the F.A are trying something new. This appointment I'm pretty sure nobody seen coming? People complaining that it should be an Englishman, please tell me who they would have over him? He has managed top European clubs, and won silverware with them. 

He likes to play attacking football. Lets just hope he can put together a winning formula with the current attacking options we have for the foreseeable. 

I honestly dont think we will be boring old England anymore!

Edited by CyderHead92
  • Like 2

Personally I think the manager of England should be English. I cannot imagine Germany appointing an Englishman, in fact I think I am correct in saying that they once appointed a former international, Klinsmann, who had no managerial experience at all and who did a pretty good job. People obsess over CVs. and we have plenty of former internationals that could step in and do a pretty good job too.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

I just think, at England level,  it should be the best of the nations managers, coaches and players. I think there's a case for foreign managers leading "lesser" footballing nations teams, Gary Johnson at Latvis, for example, but England is an elite football nation.

An elite football nation with one World Cup victory to our name.

The FA obviously think that Tuchel is a better option than the English alternatives.

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, marshy said:

Personally I think the manager of England should be English. I cannot imagine Germany appointing an Englishman, in fact I think I am correct in saying that they once appointed a former international, Klinsmann, who had no managerial experience at all and who did a pretty good job. People obsess over CVs. and we have plenty of former internationals that could step in and do a pretty good job too.

Who? 

10 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Who? 

Well, given his ability to read a game when a player, and the decent job he has done at Middlesborough who were in a terrible state when he took over, I think Michael Carrick would be an interesting choice. Intelligent player, intelligent manager.

3 hours ago, Phantom said:

£6m - £7m according to talksport 

If that’s the main reason for not going after Howe then that’s a shambolic decision. I think Howe deserves it. What does that say to any English managers . I know we’re not blessed with top coaches at the moment but he should have been given the chance . 

36 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

I'm actually quite pleased the F.A are trying something new. This appointment I'm pretty sure nobody seen coming? People complaining that it should be an Englishman, please tell me who they would have over him? He has managed top European clubs, and won silverware with them. 

He likes to play attacking football. Lets just hope he can put together a winning formula with the current attacking options we have for the foreseeable. 

I honestly dont think we will be boring old England anymore!

How much silverware did the current Spanish manager win prior to taking the national job? England V Germany and the England manager is German dear oh dear kind of dilutes it somewhat doesn't it 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, marshy said:

Well, given his ability to read a game when a player, and the decent job he has done at Middlesborough who were in a terrible state when he took over, I think Michael Carrick would be an interesting choice. Intelligent player, intelligent manager.

But maybe not experienced enough in the managerial role? I don't know. Maybe in time he can crack out a good show of his mangerail career and be ready for the England job.

2 minutes ago, Red Cyril 2 said:

Yes in the best possible man for the job. Klop or Pep is a brilliant either or. But do they really want the England job ? 

Klopp has explicitly said he won't manage England. He's taken a cushy job at Red Bull but will be Germany manager the next time the job is available.

The FA approached Pep but he seems not to have been keen. Possibly because he's on £20m a year at City!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Nah. Dunno about that to be honest mate. 
Let’s break it down a bit. 

Munich. Yeah, so he won the league. But he only came in with 10 games to go, won 6 of them, and only won it on the last day because Dortmund drew with Mainz!! 
It’s a win on his CV, but he was pretty late to the party on this one. 

Chelsea. Yeah, he won a champions league. During Covid. Against another English team in the final. Again, only came in half way through that season so was basically someone else’s team. And the Covid situation really affected football scores. I take all results in that period with a pinch of salt. Lost to Leicester in the Fa cup final! Then took them backwards at a rate of knots!

PSG. Yes, lots of silverware but come on, there was zero competition. He had a choice up front of MBappe, Neymar, Icardi & Cavani. He had Veratti, Paredes, Di Maria, a prime Thiago Silva and Marquinhos. 
It was harder to NOT win everything domestically in France. 
Yes, that team of wonder-players got the champions league final. And lost. Had to contend with Leipzig and Atalanta in the quarters and semi’s. 

Yes he’s got silverware and a good looking CV. But he’s had bloody good teams and players wherever he’s been and has slowly taken each of them backwards. 

I don’t get the hype to be honest. He’s been a very lucky manager in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Tuchel led the Blues to Champions League glory just months after taking charge in 2021 and also won the UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup with the London club. Not successful? His record at Chelsea averaged 2.07 points per game. 

I refer you to my earlier answer. 

And if looking at win ratio. His record is not as good at Chelsea as Jose, Avram Grant, Conte, Sarri, Ancelotti, nor indeed Maresca. 
So the 7th best Chelsea manager of the last 15 years who just got there at a fortuitous time. 
The longer he was there the worse they got despite spending more than everyone 

• Hmmm 1

Ignoring the whys and whats and wherefores of Tuchel against other candidates.

The whole argument of “We’re England, the manager should be English” - and particularly the bit of “he’s German - euggh” grinds my gears somewhat.

One week ago, we were looking at Irish international Lee Carsley taking over and I didn’t see the arguments then.

More broadly, take this parallel - I run a U13s team. I’m in my 40s. I pick players for that team who qualify for that team but I’m the best (or the only one who’ll put their hand up) coach. But in terms of representation on the pitch, the players have to meet certain parameters (ie they must be U13) - and better than others at that age (or more pertinently a better team) if they want to win 

Thats all this is. It’s still a representation of the best footballers the country has to offer. The coaches nationality is neither here nor there. Lennox Lewis was a British world champion with American Manny Steward in his corner. The lionesses won the Euros with a Dutch coach. Bazball is played by Englishmen with a kiwi coach. This isn’t unique.

So, by all means debate on his abilities. His nationality? Nah.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 6
  • Flames 2

Tuchel is hard to gauge really.

On paper has a decent Record and st clubs but got sacked by Bayweb after form drastically deteriorated. Atlanta and Leipzig quite good and tactically awkward sides or have even m but anyway..

His Borussia Dortmund side were very decent, think he got sacked for non football reasons. Chelsea sacking him seems foolish but who knows...for all his League deterioration at Bayern, in the CL they were flying when he got sacked. No I got that wrong, it was Nagelsmann who got sacked when he'd won 6 Group Games and 2 knockout Games- 8/8 with no Goals conceded.

Screenshot_20241016-001058_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bccbac0360acfa8184ff13328230f151.jpgScreenshot_20241016-001112_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e6885541f449adc7d2fbb2e47ecbc9f5.jpg

That is fairly stellar but Tuchel ended that but maybe anyone would v Man City in 2023.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

He does, he simply has to win to something to be considered a success.

We have been in 2 finals and should really have won at least 1 tournament in the past 3. Regarding TT, his media skills lack so feel the press will push him in interviews to test his resolve. It was a surprising appointment, but could be a stroke of a genius!

Interestingly, I have always found his media skills very impressive.

He is both interesting and erudite, and if you watched and listened to his interviews when he was Chelsea manager when the Abramovitch scandal was in full flow, I thought he handled himself brilliantly.

Oh, and don't forget that English is his second language.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

The whole argument of “We’re England, the manager should be English” - and particularly the bit of “he’s German - euggh” grinds my gears somewhat.

Thats all this is. It’s still a representation of the best footballers the country has to offer. The coaches nationality is neither here nor there. Lennox Lewis was a British world champion with American Manny Steward in his corner. The lionesses won the Euros with a Dutch coach. Bazball is played by Englishmen with a kiwi coach. This isn’t unique.

And a Kiwi captain, with Maori ancestry no less, which is probably quite unique 😉.

9 hours ago, Red Cyril 2 said:

But maybe not experienced enough in the managerial role? I don't know. Maybe in time he can crack out a good show of his mangerail career and be ready for the England job.

Well as I said above Klinsmann was appointed to manage Germany with zero managerial experience. Managing at International level is obviously different to managing a club. In the main requires the intelligence to put together a team with the correct balance from a huge selection pool. e.g. don't keep picking the same midfield pairing of Lampard and Gerrard and a talent like Scholes out of position when it's clearly not working or, more recently, picking right backs to play on the left.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Harry said:

I refer you to my earlier answer. 

And if looking at win ratio. His record is not as good at Chelsea as Jose, Avram Grant, Conte, Sarri, Ancelotti, nor indeed Maresca. 
So the 7th best Chelsea manager of the last 15 years who just got there at a fortuitous time. 
The longer he was there the worse they got despite spending more than everyone 

Fortunately England don't play League football.

Tuchel reached 4 out of 5 Finals of cup competitions at Chelsea. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

I don’t know much about him, because I don’t really watch my PL or CL footie.  I read a bit last night about style of play and pressing which I like the sound of.

Ultimately I will judge him on how he performs with England.  I’d like to see a manager get (what we as fans perceive to be) club level excellence out of the players at international level, ie players like Foden who seems a star for Man City, but is underwhelming for England.  I’d like to see whether Tuchel can help those players bridge that gap.

I don’t care if he’s German.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

“Yes he won the champions league, but Lampard is the one who got them out the group stages”

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

And we tried the all out attacking style of team and set up the other day - worked well didn't it!

I see the Mail have their usual "disgrace/sad day for English football" headline.

Would they have written the same had Pep or even Klopp been appointed?

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

Fortunately England don't play League football.

Tuchel reached 4 out of 5 Finals of cup competitions at Chelsea. 

I think this is definitely the FA's logic. How Tuchel's Bayern team almost won at the bernabeu last season before having it snatched away was almost England like in being a typical hard luck story. 😢

Whilst I am a bit unsure of Tuchel's record overall despite the CL win he is certainly a big name and this shows more ambition than I expected.

14 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Being German Tuchel will need to have an instant impact and not fall out with the media otherwise knives will be out for him early !

Everyone's a winner then.

I don't care if he's from Mars if he wins the World Cup with England.

He knows as well as anyone else that if he isn't up to scratch and found wanting then everyone will round on him. He's managed in England and will know that this job comes with even more scrutiny the previous roles.

A man with a history of winning trophies and a not an FA 'yes man'. Just what is needed right now. 

• Like 1

The decision to recruit Tuchel and Barry was approved by the FA Board early last week, with Tuchel signing his contract on Tuesday 8 October. The announcement was delayed to minimise distraction around the international camp that has just concluded.

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2024/Oct/16/thomas-tuchel-appointed-as-england-mens-senior-head-coach-20241610

Interesting that this has been in the bag since last Tuesday - sure that's upset a few journos who were kept in the dark until more recently.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

We haven't been good enough is why

Not so sure about not being good enough, I think at times we have been but have not had the right man in charge. I think we can mostly agree we should have won the Euros final against Italy but got the tactics all wrong after going ahead, Southgate for all his near-success wasn't exactly an exciting choice was he I think had someone else been in charge the last 5 or 6 years say Klopp or Guardiola I feel we would have done better considering who was available for selection.

12 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

How much silverware did the current Spanish manager win prior to taking the national job? England V Germany and the England manager is German dear oh dear kind of dilutes it somewhat doesn't it 

So answer my question then. What english manager would you say is better than him? Who would you pick?

14 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Miles, miles better than Carsley. And Southgate. Problem is, he probably won’t get Southgate’s luck of the draw. 

If he win's his groups, like Southgate did, then he'll likely receive more favourable routes, like Southgate did.

Russia aside, which was a weird one and went into the last game knowing second place was a "preferable" route

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pillred said:

Not so sure about not being good enough, I think at times we have been but have not had the right man in charge. I think we can mostly agree we should have won the Euros final against Italy but got the tactics all wrong after going ahead, Southgate for all his near-success wasn't exactly an exciting choice was he I think had someone else been in charge the last 5 or 6 years say Klopp or Guardiola I feel we would have done better considering who was available for selection.

This does Italy a bit of a disservice and easy dismissal, we were at Home though and scored very early but Italy were one of the stand out teams in that tournament, and in the midst of a 30 odd game unbeaten run..Mancini went to the well one more time and some of our tactical failings arose- losing the midfield, possible 2 v 1 in wide areas at times as vs Croatia in 2018. Italy generally dominated most sides between October 2018 and October 2021 too.

An earlier change to 4-3-3 may have pulled some momentum back earlier for us but as is often, our midfield can be found wanting in the latter stages of tournaments.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, pillred said:

We may have had a lot of world class individuals over our long history in England, but that doesn't make a team. We SHOULD of won in 2020, but we didn't. Again. 

I kind of think the mentality in Italy, Germany, France, Spain etc is totally different to England and that has always held us back. It's an inferiority complex.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This does Italy a bit of a disservice and easy dismissal, we were at Home though and scored very early hut Italy were one of the stand out teams in that tournament, and in the midst of a 30 odd game unbeaten run..Mancini went to the well one more time and some of our tactical failings arose- losing the midfield, possible 2 v 1 in wide areas at times as vs Croatia in 2018. Italy generally dominated most sides between October 2018 and October 2021 too.

An earlier change to 4-3-3 may have pulled some momentum back earlier for us but as is often, our midfield can be found wanting in the latter stages of tournaments.

I thought Italy were the best side in that Euros to be honest up until Spinazzola got injured in the Quarter finals, no one could handle their overlapping system with the wing backs.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Tuchel for England Manager
15 hours ago, BigTone said:

The imminent appointment of Tuchel fills me with an enthusiasm level of less than zero

Ultimately it’s all about results Tone and Tuchel doesn’t start until 1:1:2025 and I’ll reserve judgement until he takes over.

Despite Southgate producing dull and uninteresting football ( copied from GJ no doubt) he had the best England record than any of his predecessors.

TT has a tough act to follow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Bris Red said:

It's quite funny how us English consider the Germans our 'biggest' rivals. Having worked a lot in Germany trust me most Germans see the Italians and the Dutch as bigger rivals in a footballing sense.

We all know why we consider them "rivals", about time the past was left there really. As you said, biggest takeaway from a summer in Germany was that they don't see us as rivals like we do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

We all know why we consider them "rivals", about time the past was left there really. As you said, biggest takeaway from a summer in Germany was that they don't see us as rivals like we do.

Absolutely not. I was in Germany during the Euros. Had my England shirt on, lots of friendly banter that's all I received.
If anything a lot of Germans would like to see us do well and do not reciprocate a similar dislike we hold for them. We're but a footnote, behind Netherlands and Italy for them.

Argentina however, that is a proper rivalry for England when that fixture ever happens.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

One week ago, we were looking at Irish international Lee Carsley taking over and I didn’t see the arguments then.

More broadly, take this parallel - I run a U13s team. I’m in my 40s. I pick players for that team who qualify for that team but I’m the best (or the only one who’ll put their hand up) coach. But in terms of representation on the pitch, the players have to meet certain parameters (ie they must be U13) - and better than others at that age (or more pertinently a better team) if they want to win 

In fairness, Carsley is English he just represented another country. It's not quite the same comparison.

As you say, no one tried to belittle the Lionesses win with a foreign coach.

41 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

18 month deal.

Expectation will be win in North America or bust basically?

That’s very interesting. I haven’t seen that mentioned before. Smacks of hedging our bets a bit, no?

With Klopp, Pep and a few other big names occupied elsewhere or (allegedly) not interested, take a chance on the best, or at least one of the best actually currently available, give him a contract that only commits you up to the next major tournament. If he delivers, great. If not, take another look around. The field of potential candidates might look very different by then.

Haven’t seen Pochettino mentioned anywhere, as someone people might have liked, had he been free. He would have been very high up my list. I know he’s only just taken the job in the USA (which is in itself an interesting choice, given his standing in the game and the arguably huge potential), but as I say, things can change quickly in football and the landscape may appear somewhat different by the time the next WC concludes.

• Like 1

I rate the appointment German or not, he is the best available coach to coach and drive a group of talented players to success. 

also shows the dire state of the FA and the amount of ££ that gets put into English coaching.. for what? Only 3 managers of the Premier League are English - Dyche, O’Neill, Howe.  

Championship - 14 of 24 - abit better but not great for 2nd tier of English football. 

of 18 Bundesliga clubs, 14 managers are German. 

Edited by HengroveReds

12 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

That’s very interesting. I haven’t seen that mentioned before. Smacks of hedging our bets a bit, no?

With Klopp, Pep and a few other big names occupied elsewhere or (allegedly) not interested, take a chance on the best, or at least one of the best actually currently available, give him a contract that only commits you up to the next major tournament. If he delivers, great. If not, take another look around. The field of potential candidates might look very different by then.

Haven’t seen Pochettino mentioned anywhere, as someone people might have liked, had he been free. He would have been very high up my list. I know he’s only just taken the job in the USA (which is in itself an interesting choice, given his standing in the game and the arguably huge potential), but as I say, things can change quickly in football and the landscape may appear somewhat different by the time the next WC concludes.

USA is about Pocchetino's mark. He's a decent coach but apart from one domestic Ligue 1 and one French cup win he falls short of silverware. Perhaps, that would have made him ideal for England. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ultimately it’s all about results Tone and Tuchel doesn’t start until 1:1:2025 and I’ll reserve judgement until he takes over.

Despite Southgate producing dull and uninteresting football ( copied from GJ no doubt) he had the best England record than any of his predecessors.

TT has a tough act to follow.

His start date makes no difference to my enthusiasm.  As for Southgate I think he did well despite being too cautious. Feel he should have stayed personally.