IGNORED

Middlesborough away match thread

Jerseybean

Thoughts are with Liam and his family. A minute's applause will be held before kick-off. Players and staff from both clubs will also wear black armbands following the tragic loss of Theo John Manning.

Under the guidance of Chris Hogg (who was born in Middlesborough) we face ninth-placed Middlesbrough. The Robins make the long trip (263 miles each way from Bristol) to the north east looking to pick up their first win of the campaign on the road.

Chris Hogg pre-match: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/hogg-previews-middlesbrough/

Michael Carrick pre-match: https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2024/october/17/michael-carrick-s-pre-bristol-city-press-conference/

Pay on the day is available to travelling fans.Tickets will be available to purchase from the away ticket office (situated just by the away turnstiles) payment will be by cash only.

Sports Mole preview: https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/middlesbrough/preview/preview-middlesbrough-vs-bristol-city-prediction-team-news-lineups_555597.html

Boro have managed just two wins after international breaks, from a total of seven games, under Carrick. Of the five games that they've failed to win, three of them have been defeats, with Carrick's side seemingly struggling to get back into their groove quickly after the gap in fixtures.

After this season's earlier international break, Boro returned to action with a frustrating draw at home to Preston North End - a game that they were expected to win on paper. That will the case again this time around when we travel to Teesside, though incidentally this is not the first time they meet the Robins for the first game after an international break.

They travelled to Ashton Gate for the first game back after last November's break, which they went into off the back of an impressive 1-0 victory over league leaders Leicester City. However, Boro lost 3-2 that day - in what was only their second defeat in 13 games.

Head-to-head record we’ve lost 35, won 30 and drawn 24.

Last time out we won at their place, https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/red-zone/red-zone-middlesbrough-1-2-bristol-city/

Players who have represented both clubs include: Tommy Conway, who joined them in August, Albert Adomah, Luke Ayling, Neil Maddison, Tomas Kalas, Dickie Rooks, Lee Tomlin, Gary O’Neil, Matthew Bates and Andre Bikey.

This considers TC’s initial impact, https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tommy-conways-instant-positive-impression-30167908

Team news

Mark Sykes is suspended and Cam Pring out injured.

For them Jonny Howson and Dael Fry both trained during the week in the build-up to the game and could be in contention to return. Tommy Conway, meanwhile, who has been absent for Boro's last three games will be desperate to return for this one against his former side. Hayden Hackney was due to be part of the England under-21 squad during the recent international break but withdrew on 'medical advice'.

Their MDT, https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/topic/13767-boro-vs-bristol-city/

RiseAgainst kindly offered this insight:

“There were high expectations on Teesside over the summer, after a diabolical start to last season left Boro unable to catch the top six despite some lengthy winning streaks. We’ve subsequently acquired exciting attacking talents from Man City and Liverpool, assembling a squad that looks as good as any in this relatively weak Championship season. This is seen as a make-or-break season for Michael Carrick, who’s been well supported by our eternally loyal chairman Steve Gibson, and now has the playing and coaching staff (the latter including his own brother) he’s always wanted.

When opposing teams play open and attacking football – Leeds in the EFL Cup, Stoke and West Brom in the league – Boro look effervescent, fizzing the ball around quickly and playing with real flair. We pepper the opposition goal with long-range shots, but if teams park the bus, we can’t find the keys to move it. Time and again, we’ve dropped points to the cursed low block, while endless injuries have left us with one fit centre back and one fit striker in the matchday squad at times. Only six teams have scored less goals than us, five of whom are at the bottom of the table. If we score on Saturday, don’t be surprised if the players look a bit confused and can’t remember how to celebrate.”o

Manager Michael Carrick was listed in 2015 by The Telegraph at number one in their list of "The top 20 most under-rated footballers of all time," describing him as an "unassuming but highly intelligent and technically gifted deep-lying midfielder," who "has consistently performed well.”

They are owned by Steve Gibson, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Gibson_(businessman)

In May 2024, he was listed 350th on the Sunday Times Rich List, with a net worth of £640 million, he is the second richest person from the North East of England.

Records and achievements

Honours

League Cup 

Winners 2003/04
Runners up 1996/97, 1997/98

FA Cup
Runners up 1996/97

UEFA Cup
Runners up 2005/06

Anglo-Scottish Cup
Winners 1975

Full Members' Cup
Runners up 1990

FA Amateur Cup
Winners 1894/95, 1897/98

Wins

Biggest league win
9–0 v Brighton & Hove Albion, 1958
Biggest win
11–0 v Scarborough (FA Cup), 1890

Longest sequence of league wins
9 (Second Division), 1973–74

Attendances

Record attendance
53,802 v Newcastle United (at Ayresome Park), 1949

Record Riverside attendance
34, 836 v Norwich City, 2004

Player Records

Most appearances

Tim Williamson (1902-23) - 602

Most consecutive appearances

David Armstrong (1973-80) - 305 

Most goals

George Camsell (1925-39) - 345

Most goals in a season

George Camsell (1926/27) - 63

Oldest first team player

Dimi Konstantopoulos (v Newport County, 2019) - 40 years and 68 days

Youngest first team player

Nathan Wood (v Notts County, 2018) - 16 years and 72 days

Most capped player

Mark Schwarzer (Australia) – 51

Most capped player for England
Wilf Mannion – 26

Officials

Referee Sam Allison assisted by Lee Venamore and Hugh Gilroy, fourth official Adam Herczeg.

Pies

Upex pies are worth tracking down, https://www.upexpies.co.uk/our-story/

Middlesborough musings

Smoggie is a colloquial term used to refer to people from the Teesside area of North East England. The term is also used to describe the local accent and dialect spoken in the area.

Birthplace of Captain James Cook. Middlesbrough proudly claims Captain James Cook, one of history’s greatest explorers, as its native son. Cook’s voyages of discovery and his mapping of the Pacific greatly contributed to our understanding of the world.

The Iconic Transporter Bridge. Middlesbrough is home to the iconic Transporter Bridge, a symbol of the town’s engineering prowess. This unique structure, built in 1911, is one of the few remaining operational transporter bridges in the world and offers breathtaking views of the Tees Valley.

A Town Steeped in Industrial History. Middlesbrough has a proud industrial heritage, with its roots dating back to the 19th century. Its strategic location on the banks of the River Tees made it a thriving hub for iron and steel production, earning it the nickname “Ironopolis.”

From Brian Clough through to Jonathan Woodgate, Middlesbrough players and managers have kept us entertained with hilarious sound bites over the years. Here’s a few examples:

“What do I feel like? I feel like a kebab and onions.” Paul Gascoigne

“I’ve never wanted to leave. I’m here for the rest of my life, and hopefully after that as well.” Mark Schwarzer

“This is a man’s game – unless the FA wants us to walk out with handbags, wearing lipstick.” Paul Ince

“I decided to come here because I like the shopping.” Mido

As for Clough, fill yer boots…

• “If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there.”
  • “Rome wasn't built in a day. But I wasn't on that particular job.”
  • “I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one.”
  • “I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard.”
  • “That Seaman is a handsome young man but he spends too much time looking in his mirror, rather than at the ball. You can't keep goal with hair like that.”
  • “The River Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.”
  • “When I go, God's going to have to give up his favourite chair.”
  • “Good managers make good sides. There’s no such thing as a side making a manager.”
  • “Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.”
  • “We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right.”

Pubs

Hit the bar, Bridge St E, Middlesbrough TS2 1NW, near the train station.

Further from the ground here’s another three to consider, https://threebestrated.co.uk/pubs-in-middlesbrough

The Bluebell https://www.greatukpubs.co.uk/blue-bell-hotel-middlesbrough?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=homepage about a ten minute drive from the ground.

The Swatters Carr (Spoons) https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/north-yorkshire/the-swatters-carr-middlesbrough a seven minute drive from the stadium.

The Twisted Lip https://teesvalley-ca.gov.uk/visit/eat-and-drink/venues/the-twisted-lip/ a six minute drive from the ground

IMG_5438.jpeg

• Thanks 2

IMG_9952.thumb.jpeg.e9b64debbc168c6366fdae45de115480.jpeg

This legend at Carlisle also played for both clubs. He wasn’t a legend at City needless to say. 

A young Clayton Fortune , nearly made one for the club when Middlesbrough offered us 700,000£ only for the academy product to turn down the deal , going on to feature for Liverpool and Barcelona… cough. 

Boro used to produce big tough workman like sides in the image of their town and supporters before Gibson bought the club and sprinkled stardust with the arrivals of Brazilian genius , Juninho, the White Feather , Ravinelli and Bryan Robson. They were without major honours or history like us before this époque where they graced the Prem, won a League Cup and had an exciting campaign in Europe. Gibson knows how to run a successful football outfit and despite falling out of the top division are always amongst the favorites to return. 
My first ever time in the Dolman I witnessed a 4-0 demolition of the dirty northern bars tards with City debutant Joe Royle grabbing all four. 
Let’s hope for an entertaining game with a chance to momentarily , lift the sadness around the club. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

IMG_9952.thumb.jpeg.e9b64debbc168c6366fdae45de115480.jpeg

This legend at Carlisle also played for both clubs. He wasn’t a legend at City needless to say. 

A young Clayton Fortune , nearly made one for the club when Middlesbrough offered us 700,000£ only for the academy product to turn down the deal , going on to feature for Liverpool and Barcelona… cough. 

Boro used to produce big tough workman like sides in the image of their town and supporters before Gibson bought the club and sprinkled stardust with the arrivals of Brazilian genius , Juninho, the White Feather , Ravinelli and Bryan Robson. They were without major honours or history like us before this époque where they graced the Prem, won a League Cup and had an exciting campaign in Europe. Gibson knows how to run a successful football outfit and despite falling out of the top division are always amongst the favorites to return. 
My first ever time in the Dolman I witnessed a 4-0 demolition of the dirty northern bars tards with City debutant Joe Royle grabbing all four. 
Let’s hope for an entertaining game with a chance to momentarily , lift the sadness around the club. 

I suppose it depends on one’s age, but I remember being very impressed with Hugh M when he was with us.

As I say, though, a young boy is often easily impressed, far more so than the discerning adults who had probably seen it all before.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I suppose it depends on one’s age, but I remember being very impressed with Hugh M when he was with us.

As I say, though, a young boy is often easily impressed, far more so than the discerning adults who had probably seen it all before.

According to Wiki he made 20 appearances and scored four goals in 1967, not quite enough for us to erect a statue in his honour. 

Mixed emotions heading up to Boro for this one.

As has been said, and will be said (rightly) over the next 48 hours, this weeks news puts football into perspective.

Hoping for a positive result, but more importantly hoping the club staff, squad and fans can unify and find strength during what is a dark period.

Anyone else making the long trip up? Hit the bar near the station looks like a good shout for a pint, although a fair few pubs around there seem to allow home and away fans to mix, can't see there being any trouble.

COYR