IGNORED

Middlesborough away match thread

Jerseybean

12 minutes ago, cityfan1958 said:

One of the hardest things to deal with in Liam’s situation is the fact that the rest of the world just carries on. But given that it does,  a small amount of good news is preferable. The players and staff did the only thing they could do for him today,  and respect to them for that.

Nice words. ❤️

• Like 1

Don’t comment too often but for sure an avid reader. As someone that’s disillusioned with how the club is being run at the minute I couldn’t be prouder with the performance of the players today, Hogg understandably emotional - top notch from all involved and 110% committed, let’s use this to catapult ourselves into the upper echelons of the table, we’ve got the players to do it, not been able to say that in years, coyr!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Told this story many a time, but was in Leeds for work and long story short, watched this at the Billy Bar (they did a beamback)

Knew I had to keep my head down, at 2-0 didn't think I had any worries. 2 late goals if I recall to get a draw, and I still don;t know how I contained myself and survived that night 🤣

They were VERY late goals if I remember correctly after 90mins?

5 hours ago, 1team said:

Unpopular thing to say, but if we were 3.0 at half time, no one could've complained. 

Disagree wholeheartedly.

Boro had been the better side but had barely created any real chances.

There was one they should have scored at 0-0 but the rest were low crosses we easily dealt with or shots from range.

Edited by Severn Beach Pigeon

Been away in Dubai golfing (hard life i know) not really read much of this thread but for me after seeing the highlights i am so happy for Anis..

He almost looked like he took one too many touches for his goal but fair play, what a finish 👏 That is the way to answer the critics who have questioned his end product and i have been one of them. Hell of a player in there somewhere once that decision making penny drops...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Been away in Dubai golfing (hard life i know) not really read much of this thread but for me after seeing the highlights i am so happy for Anis..

He almost looked like he took one too many touches for his goal but fair play, what a finish 👏 That is the way to answer the critics who have questioned his end product and i have been one of them. Hell of a player in there somewhere once that decision making penny drops...

On twitter I posted where he was when Knight picked up the ball.

Not only got got up with Knight, but got himself into a position in the box to receive a cross.

=====

In fairness to Hirakawa, he made up a lot of ground too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

On twitter I posted where he was when Knight picked up the ball.

Not only got got up with Knight, but got himself into a position in the box to receive a cross.

=====

In fairness to Hirakawa, he made up a lot of ground too.

Top analogy as always Dave.. 👏 Yeah like i said Anis has been criticised so much for his end product but as you're post highlights he has busted a gut to get into that position.. Which is typical of what he has done in so many recent games.

Unfortunately many fans do not micro analyse Anis's game and judge him purely on his end product - goals and assists. That's why i was so happy to see it go in for him, hopefully that relieves a bit of the pressure that has been put on him by certain sections of the fanbase. As i said ive been critical of him but i genuinely think he can and will be a top player at this level if given some patience.

• Robin 1

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

He did but in fact he sidestepped a defender sliding in to block, giving himself a clear shot at goal. Great composure.

Basically all of our players have flaws (or they wouldn't be our players) & there's an element or compromise about them; accepting their flaws for what they bring to the game.

After a slow start to his time here, I think Anis has been decent throughout 2024.  Of course his decision making could be better but in a squad of (very) honest toilers he offers something different.

Hopefully he can can chipping away with goals & end up close to double figures, which for someone that "would benefit from a league 1 loan" wouldn't be too shabby.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Some of those numbers are good signs of being under the cosh a bit! 😂😂😂

We defended our area pretty well second half.  As I said yesterday, we earned the right to “sit in” being 2-0 up at h-t.

Exactly this.

I would have liked us to play a bit further out, and it took a few minutes for Armstrong to stop coming too deep , but I thought we defended really well . They hardly had a clear chance 2nd half , I keep bringing it up but that Vyner block was brilliant . I was screaming at Armstrong to stay up , when he did get a ball anywhere near him later on, he did a great job of getting us up the pitch . Shame he couldn't get that shot on target , but played that lone role well and proved it was right to start Wells , who I thought did well. 

As a fan though , thought we held too high a line first half and we got too deep 2nd. Risky against Lath I thought, but TBF they did pretty well and 2nd half we restricted space . That they had twice as many shots than us, but we had more on target is interesting . Not sure if it proves anything , could be they were desperate and shooting from bad positions ( there was at least one of those ) , or when they got in position the finishing was poor ( something the coms mentioned had been a problem ) . 

I have my thoughts about the forward line, but it was good to see a genuinely good defensive performance and interesting to see Naismith centre of a 3 . The future ?

8 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Top analogy as always Dave.. 👏 Yeah like i said Anis has been criticised so much for his end product but as you're post highlights he has busted a gut to get into that position.. Which is typical of what he has done in so many recent games.

Unfortunately many fans do not micro analyse Anis's game and judge him purely on his end product - goals and assists. That's why i was so happy to see it go in for him, hopefully that relieves a bit of the pressure that has been put on him by certain sections of the fanbase. As i said ive been critical of him but i genuinely think he can and will be a top player at this level if given some patience.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Basically all of our players have flaws (or they wouldn't be our players) & there's an element or compromise about them; accepting their flaws for what they bring to the game.

After a slow start to his time here, I think Anis has been decent throughout 2024.  Of course his decision making could be better but in a squad of (very) honest toilers he offers something different.

Hopefully he can can chipping away with goals & end up close to double figures, which for someone that "would benefit from a league 1 loan" wouldn't be too shabby.

Since his goal at Ipswich he’s scored 5 in 1302 mins (14/15 90s).  That’s pretty good…if people do want to criticise his “end product”!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Since his goal at Ipswich he’s scored 5 in 1302 mins (14/15 90s).  That’s pretty good…if people do want to criticise his “end product”!

That is pretty decent. And quite closely matches our good run of form in the league (3 defeats in 18 now).

Edited by Kid in the Riot

Just listened to this Boro podcast and it could almost have been done by one of us on here. Similar complaints about "playing out from the back" , "misplaced passes" , "lack of goals" , "no plan B" , actually the only thing I thought he was wrong about is the Ref. He moans that the Ref booked players early and stopped them being physical for the rest of the game. Sorry but those early bookings were spot on . Anyway , worth a look if you're bored.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That is pretty decent. And quite closely matches our good run of form in the league (3 defeats in 18 now).

Maybe he’s not quite as crap as some make out?  He’s a winger, a dribbler, they were born to frustrate, be inconsistent…weren’t they! 😂

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe he’s not quite as crap as some make out?  He’s a winger, a dribbler, they were born to frustrate, be inconsistent…weren’t they! 😂

We just want an exciting, flair player that gets us off of our seat but is also ruthlessly efficient in their decision making. Oh, & decent at tracking back & helping the defence when required as well.

It's not much to ask.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Robin 1

34 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

We just want an exciting, flair player that gets us off of our seat but is also ruthlessly efficient in their decision making. Oh, & decent at tracking back & helping the defence when required as well.

It's not much to ask.

Also, pretty good in the air to get on the crosses from the exciting, flair player on the other side of the pitch.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

It's not much to ask.

And a 20 goal striker 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mozo said:

And a 20 goal striker 

Every Championship club is looking for such a striker - they’re as rare as hens teeth and if by some quirk of fortune a Championship striker bags 20+ then he’ll be snapped up by PL outfit or a decent European club.

• Haha 1