IGNORED

Middlesborough away match thread

Jerseybean

1 minute ago, CliftonCliff said:

Well, yes, it's about opinions, I suppose, up to a point, but I don't really see why it's even necessary to be having this debate. They are two quite different things.

The loss of a baby is an appalling tragedy and completely overshadows everything else, as his been said repeatedly here, and the way that sentiment has been reflected on OTIB is a credit to the forum and everyone who has expressed condolences. It's the same throughout the game, given the two other sad, football related losses that have occurred in the same week. 

But meanwhile, back in the world of mundane, every day events, for better or worse, the game goes on. There will be, at many grounds today, black arm bands, silences or minute's applause and rightly so, but once the whistles blow, matches commence, players will be giving it all they've got, and whatever the outcomes,  the results will be absorbed over the coming weeks into the stats for all the clubs that have been affected, directly or indirectly, and judgments made on the aggregated numbers.

It's a fallacy to conflate the two: there is no disrespect to the bereaved in any of that and I don't see why anyone would seek to make an issue of it. If it's some sort of attempt to take the moral high ground, I think it's ill conceived; it's an empty and pointless argument.

Fair enough.  I will always remember how my boss and colleagues very much took into account my work performance when I went through a personal tragedy and would like to think that would be afforded to Manning by all.  No morale high ground. Just very raw and close. I certainly don’t see it as a pointless argument 

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Two weeks off and we have another injury and no one returning , very "us".

Have I missed something with Twine ? 

Heard nothing at the moment, but also wondered does anyone know what’s up with Dickie ? 

Been two months now hearing nothing ? 

6 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I can't say I agree. We'll see better during the match, but I think it could well be an emotional game. Now that could take things either way, it might galvanise us or we might be a mess. But if emotions do come into play, I don't think it's unfair to say the result isn't necessarily reflective of where we are - whether it's good or bad. 

So….why not wait and see what transpires (as you say), why are we creating excuses before the event.

I’m able to take a view after the event, and decide whether or not (I think) it’s played into things.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Twine probably out for a few months, same injury as last year.

What a great use of £4m, and what a signing Earthy was to have Wells picked over him.  

I don’t wish injury on anyone but we’re a better team without Twine. Agree that it was a terrible deal - it was pre this injury news, it is now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cov 77 said:

Heard nothing at the moment, but also wondered does anyone know what’s up with Dickie ? 

Been two months now hearing nothing ? 

I thought originally he was due back after this last break , then just before it was mentioned another few weeks. 

Thought Atkinson might be near the bench by now too , but I do understand being cautious .

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

If our players can get their mindset right to win this game, it's an absolute triumph against the odds.

If they look rattled or jaded, it's hardly surprising.

What about something in-between your two extremes, or they just go out and play unaffected?

• Like 4

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

I don’t wish injury on anyone but we’re a better team without Twine. Agree that it was a terrible deal - it was pre this injury news, it is now.

Spent too long and too much on a player that hardly tore up any trees last year. Money could have been better used elsewhere . That said he has apparently set up more big chances than any one else in the league. 

Here’s a pre-match stat that provides some optimism….Over the last decade-and-a-half, Boro have a worse record against Bristol City than against any other Championship side. Of the last 26 meetings between the two teams, only six have resulted in a Middlesbrough win. City, on the other hand, have claimed 15 victories, with five of the matches ending in a draw.

COYR’s 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jose said:

Doesn’t say much for our summer recruitment that Wells is arguably our best option. If Earthy isn’t going to start at 10 when Twine isn’t playing ( injured I guess) then when will he? 

Let’s hope we put a respectable performance in. 

Agree. Don’t know why we signed earthy . If as expected bird playing the ten when it’s not his position . Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think Hogg will deviate away much from mannings tactics . 

Edited by steviestevieneville

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

If only this could have been known….

IMG_4161.jpeg

I personally think your anger at the fee is clouding your overall opinion of him. Yes he’s not been brilliant but still easily our most creative player. We have absolutely nothing in the final third ( we look awful defensively so all in all a massive worry) so losing Twine makes us even weaker in that area. If Armstrong could hit a barn door twine would be up there assist wise. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Fair enough.  I will always remember how my boss and colleagues very much took into account my work performance when I went through a personal tragedy and would like to think that would be afforded to Manning by all.  No morale high ground. Just very raw and close. I certainly don’t see it as a pointless argument 

First and foremost, whatever the nature of your own personal misfortune, I'm very sorry to hear it, however long ago it might have been. For what it's worth, I've experienced something not entirely dissimilar and can clearly recall the kindness of my colleagues when I returned to work after several weeks absence, when I was helping my sister look after our mother at the end of her life.

I don't want to prolong or labour it and I don't know how to make the point any clearer than I have already, but I do think we are mixing up two rather different things here. I can't believe, based on what we've seen online this week, that anyone will use the outcome of today's game to make a adverse judgement on Manning's work performance, not least because he's not at work. As an isolated game it's somebody else's immediate responsibility, and as one of a season long sequence of results, it will simply get swallowed up in the bigger picture. I don't know why you think anyone will seize on what happens this afternoon to score points on an anti-Manning agenda. I'd be amazed, frankly, if anyone did that.  

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

I personally think your anger at the fee is clouding your overall opinion of him. Yes he’s not been brilliant but still easily our most creative player. We have absolutely nothing in the final third ( we look awful defensively so all in all a massive worry) so losing Twine makes us even weaker in that area. If Armstrong could hit a barn door twine would be up there assist wise. 

I’ve been pretty consistent that I wouldn’t have signed him fullstop. But signing him and making him your main man in view of the factors in that June post is nuts, particularly spending a fee that means we haven’t strengthened elsewhere.

Fees a contributory factor for me, but the overall package has been below par as far as Twines concerned.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

If only the club had some recent experience of signing expensive loanee attacking midfielders who then didn't quite deliver once made permanent.

Ish. The difference is Tomlin was good on loan. I’ll acknowledge it’s very Kasey Palmer though - poor to middling on loan, spend a big fee to make it permanent.

And Palmer didn’t have the injury history that was flagged pre signing, so this is the worst of the lot for me.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What about something in-between your two extremes, or they just go out and play unaffected?

I don't think there's anything 'extreme' about our players potentially being in a difficult mindset in these circumstances. 

This is a tough game, made tougher. That's just reality.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ve been pretty consistent that I wouldn’t have signed him fullstop. But signing him and making him your main man in view of the factors in that June post is nuts, particularly spending a fee that means we haven’t strengthened elsewhere.

Fees a contributory factor for me, but the overall package has been below par as far as Twines concerned.

Ish. The difference is Tomlin was good on loan. I’ll acknowledge it’s very Kasey Palmer though - poor to middling on loan, spend a big fee to make it permanent.

And Palmer didn’t have the injury history that was flagged pre signing, so this is the worst of the lot for me.

Where haven’t we strengthened elsewhere? Even if we had spent 2m on Twine, who else would you have spent then money on. I get you don’t like him but for me he’s the sort of player we needed

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't think there's anything 'extreme' about our players potentially being in a difficult mindset in these circumstances. 

This is a tough game, made tougher. That's just reality.

No, your scenarios are at either end, the extreme ends. My comment was nothing to do with the players mindset. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I'll give that Tomlin performed on loan, I still think there were some clear signs he wasn't going to be suitable as a permanent player, but won't die on that hill.

The Palmer saga is the poster boy for all that was wrong under Ashton, but I'll give you that Twine (so far) seems the worst.

For me though it's what feels like a narrative in the summer that the pursuit, the fee, the whole thing, was going to be worth it because he was the key to solving the sum that was Manning + City. This may be an error in my perception, but that's how it felt. And it was, and now is, so clearly not that. He's not that.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Where haven’t we strengthened elsewhere? Even if we had spent 2m on Twine, who else would you have spent then money on. I get you don’t like him but for me he’s the sort of player we needed

Here’s a thought experiment for you. Instead of signing Twine we sign George  Earthy on loan (oh, we did) and use the money to get a striker who can finish now and isn’t a project. So as opposed to £2m on Armstrong we spend £4-£6m on a striker.

We absolutely spent a stupid amount and that impacted our budget elsewhere

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I agree with almost everything you say. I’d still argue in reality he is our most creative player. And one i would rather starting that not. Again due to powderpuff attacking players we do have it is not saying a lot but point still stands. 

I also agree I would have much rather spent the money towards a better forward and take a more of a risk bringing in a developing 10 with a point to prove. 
However the money spent is on manning and not on Twine. 

• Like 2

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

I'll give that Tomlin performed on loan, I still think there were some clear signs he wasn't going to be suitable as a permanent player, but won't die on that hill.

The Palmer saga is the poster boy for all that was wrong under Ashton, but I'll give you that Twine (so far) seems the worst.

For me though it's what feels like a narrative in the summer that the pursuit, the fee, the whole thing, was going to be worth it because he was the key to solving the sum that was Manning + City. This may be an error in my perception, but that's how it felt. And it was, and now is, so clearly not that. He's not that.

The manager clearly made Twine the number one priority and he got backed. Hes nowhere near worth getting some of the over the top criticism he’s getting. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Here’s a thought experiment for you. Instead of signing Twine we sign George  Earthy on loan (oh, we did) and use the money to get a striker who can finish now and isn’t a project. So as opposed to £2m on Armstrong we spend £4-£6m on a striker.

You pretty much summed up my thoughts before I posted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You have no idea what our budget was. Would a 6m championship striker fit our wage structure or would you be happy to blow that out the water? 

Just now, Jose said:

I agree with almost everything you say. I’d still argue in reality he is our most creative player. And one i would rather starting that not. Again due to powderpuff attacking players we do have it is not saying a lot but point still stands. 

I also agree I would have much rather spent the money towards a better forward and take a more of a risk bringing in a developing 10 with a point to prove. 
However the money spent is on manning and not on Twine. 

The challenge to that is he’s our most creative player in a system built for him…but are we getting enough from him or is it flawed because of who is on the end of his creativity.

Hogg made a really interesting comment about Conway in the week, about that when he went they had to change their strategies.

I think it was clear pre-window they saw Twine sliding in Conway. But that whole window changed that dynamic. Twine not signed (initially) Mayulu in then Armstrong then Conway goes, then we sign Twine.

You could argue that they didn’t reflect on the changing dynamic. I’d argue that a 10 like Twine wasn’t the right type of 10 for Sincs or Fally. A running 10 would be a better fit.

It’s certainly a good debating point. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rob k said:

You have no idea what our budget was. Would a 6m championship striker fit our wage structure or would you be happy to blow that out the water? 

Let’s be fair I doubt Twine is on pennies. Our striking recruitment looks worse and worse every passing week. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

In regards to the minutes applause for little Theo 😞. Just gauging opinion here & it’s probably a bit of a irrelevant question as paying respect is what really matters. 
Do people think as it’s such a tragic loss of someone so young , would a minutes silence be more appropriate ? 
I think a minutes applause is great for celebrating someone who’s had a  full & rich life. Like Sven’s was as a recent example . Theo’s & also George Baldock  I think should be a minutes silence. Just a thought . 

What’s the thinking behind your emoji choice @Red Cyril 2 just interested 

1 minute ago, Tecknical Director said:

No idea why most of you support City, it clearly upsets you. 

Bbc Cry GIF by britbox

Upsets us because we care about how the club is being run . You get nowhere in life without questioning people’s decisions . You’re obviously happy even though you choose to take the piss out of tinnion with your user name 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

Let’s be fair I doubt Twine is on pennies. Our striking recruitment looks worse and worse every passing week. 

Don’t disagree one bit about that - ive said to others, forget Twine for now, more of a concern for me is that none of  Armstrong, Malaylu or Earthy are starting today 

Edited by Rob k
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, your scenarios are at either end, the extreme ends. My comment was nothing to do with the players mindset. 

You talked about the game as if you expect normal levels*, but I think we all know that mindset and preparation are absolutely key to putting in a good performance and today is not normal. They're humans.

Hence, I'm saying a win would be an even bigger triumph than a standard away win, given the difficult preparation. I also think it's totally understandable if the players show signs of not being in the right mental state given the emotions they have had to deal with.

*So I expect to see the normal levels of commitment, and expect us to compete like we would do against any other of our 23 championship opponents.