IGNORED

Middlesborough away match thread

Jerseybean

Having Wells up front for me is the way forward he's our best striker he keeps defenders busy with his runs etc. the second goal he runs takes a CB away for Knight to run into.

He's a very clever footballer is wells

Edited by tripe
  • Like 12
  • Robin 1

Well done chaps. We’ve been a bit open on transition but Middlesbrough are a good team and you have to expect pressure. Even without the goal, Yu has been great. Thought Williams, Bird and McNally have been good. Bit worried about Doak with Ross on a yellow. Hope we don’t sit back in the second half like we did last season. COYR

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

😂😂😂 how the **** are we 2 up . Took the goals well but please boss Hogg sort the left side of defence out. Mcrorie follows the ball like a 7 year old . Four times I’ve counted he’s done it , vacating his position leaving acres of space . Very lucky nothing come from it . 

I think he needs to be hooked at HT, his positioning has been miles off and is nailed on for a red in the 2nd half if things carry on as they have.

Definitely lucky to be 2-0 up but nice to say we've been clinical with our chances

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, tripe said:

Having Wells up front for me is the way forward he's our best striker he keeps defenders busy with his runs etc. the second goal he runs takes a CB away for Knight to run into.

He's a very clever footballer is wells

Experience counts for a lot and I think twine doesn't help either knights a better player without him in.

48 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I think it’s more for his pressing rather than his creation 

because its been pretty non-existent / half-hearted with Twine, neither a press nor a block of passing lanes.

=======

And although we've scored twice from it today (yayyyyy), the block once they've got past Knight and Wells hasn't been great.  

• Like 1

An astonishing 45 minutes of football.

I am of course absolutely delighted that we are leading 2-0 at half time, even though I’m not convinced the score reflects our performance.

For large parts of the first half Boro were in the ascendancy and had the momentum. They also created by far the best scoring chances, all of which were squandered. To be honest, they look stronger and sharper all over the pitch and some of our decision-making and ball retention has been poor.

I was hoping that we could hang onto the lead until half time, which would’ve given us a chance to regroup and then, out of nowhere, we score a second, which was very well put away.

They must be absolutely fuming in the Boro changing room and I’m sure Carrick will have them fired up for the second half.

With McCorie and McNally on yellow cards and Ben Doak looking such a threat this game has got a long way to go.

Let’s hope we can manage the second half professionally and come away with a victory.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Am only listening and watching the stats. But from that it sounds like a fairly classic counter-attacking away game.

Yu Reds!

That’s the most effective way we can play. We can’t play possession football in this league with what we have in the squad 

Very happy with the score. We've played better and created better chances without scoring this season though! Think the thing I'm most pleased with is the defence being more prepared to put bodies on the line, closing down shots quickly and putting pressure on players on the ball. It's been a bit chaotic though!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

An astonishing 45 minutes of football.

I am of course absolutely delighted that we are leading 2-0 at half time, even though I’m not convinced the score reflects our performance.

For large parts of the first half Boro were in the ascendancy and had the momentum. They also created by far the best scoring chances, all of which were squandered. To be honest, they look stronger and sharper all over the pitch and some of our decision-making and ball retention has been poor.

I was hoping that we could hang onto the lead until half time, which would’ve given us a chance to regroup and then, out of nowhere, we score a second, which was very well put away.

They must be absolutely fuming in the Boro changing room and I’m sure Carrick will have them fired up for the second half.

With McCorie and McNally on yellow cards and Ben Doak looking such a threat this game has got a long way to go.

Let’s hope we can manage the second half professionally and come away with a victory.

It would certainly make a change can we reverse 20-odd years of us all expecting the worst? I obviously can't prove it but in the Duke earlier today I said do you know what I reckon we will get a result today, fingers crossed.

Edited by pillred

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Am only listening and watching the stats. But from that it sounds like a fairly classic counter-attacking away game.

Yu Reds!

not even that, we've just pressed a couple of times and punished them.  In fairness a couple of minutes leading up too our first, we started to show a bit of composure in our passing.

Overall we have been opened up too easily, and some last ditch defending / poor finishing has saved us.  Mehmeti needs to support McCrorie who got exposed, and in turn exposed McNally...and both on yellows.

Knight popping up everywhere.

We need to do better second half which sounds perverse given the scoreline.

C'mon City, up it this second half and the 3 points can be ours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, redkev said:

Not knocking Hogg but this is where top coaches / managers make the difference, the current set up / starting 11 clearly not working top coaches would be changing personnel / systems now not waiting until we go behind like Liam usually does or get to the golden 60th minute 

As I’m posting this we go 1 up ffs , this football malarkey especially the championship does your head in sometimes 🙈

I asked my mate who’s a gambler if he ever bets on football matches? He said no, it’s so unpredictable!

Edited by marksy

6 minutes ago, Firstyardleftinbed said:

I think he needs to be hooked at HT, his positioning has been miles off and is nailed on for a red in the 2nd half if things carry on as they have.

Definitely lucky to be 2-0 up but nice to say we've been clinical with our chances

Agree . Plus points has definitely been Yu & knight. Regardless of his goal I think hirikawa has been bright with the scrapes he’s fed off of 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Not sure if Tanner has played LB before, but if he is comfortable doing would swap Tanner and McCrorie around, Doac is causing massive problems and McCrorie being on a booking is trouble, also think Tanner is a better 1v1 defender 

Yes, he has....I would too

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

not even that, we've just pressed a couple of times and punished them.  In fairness a couple of minutes leading up too our first, we started to show a bit of composure in our passing.

Overall we have been opened up too easily, and some last ditch defending / poor finishing has saved us.  Mehmeti needs to support McCrorie who got exposed, and in turn exposed McNally...and both on yellows.

Knight popping up everywhere.

We need to do better second half which sounds perverse given the scoreline.

C'mon City, up it this second half and the 3 points can be ours.

Mcrorie doesn’t help himself either Dave . He switches off & follows the ball . We know we’re under pressure just do a fullbacks job