IGNORED

John Atyeo-Bristol City's Greatest Ever Player

AFCFINNERS

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt he’s our greatest, Gerry Gow next and the rest a distant third

No argument from me, Cheesley might have become the number 2 but was cruelly taken out just as he was about to flourish on the big stage. 

A privilege to have seen players like Cheesley, Gerry Gow, Sir Geoff, Ritchie in the shirt compared to the dross served up today.

Edited by CodeRed
  • Like 3

I don't want to diminish the legendary status of big John, but I question the words used by the host of the video as being ' loyal ' to Bristol City.

Yes he was offered bigger contracts elsewhere, but correct me if I'm wrong...he stayed with us, because it suited his lifestyle away from football. We were local to his roots, family and lifestyle, gave a good standard of football etc.

If football was his main priority and love...he could have moved, made more money, and probably played for England more often, even gone to the world cup. 

Did he stay...because of his loyalty to Bristol City...or more likely it suited his chosen path in life, and fitted in?

Again, not diminishing his legendary status with us. 

A side note...my ex wife's mother was related to him, an Atyeo, and was born and lived in Westbury, Wilts. 

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't want to diminish the legendary status of big John, but I question the words used by the host of the video as being ' loyal ' to Bristol City.

Yes he was offered bigger contracts elsewhere, but correct me if I'm wrong...he stayed with us, because it suited his lifestyle away from football. We were local to his roots, family and lifestyle, gave a good standard of football etc.

If football was his main priority and love...he could have moved, made more money, and probably played for England more often, even gone to the world cup. 

Did he stay...because of his loyalty to Bristol City...or more likely it suited his chosen path in life, and fitted in?

A side note...my ex wife's mother was related to him, an Atyeo, and was born and lived in Westbury, Wilts. 

You’re being harsh, he couldn’t of been more loyal

• Like 1

On 19/09/2024 at 19:46, TV Tom said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt he’s our greatest, Gerry Gow next and the rest a distant third

Atyeo before my time so can’t comment on him myself but people I know who did, all concur he was the best.

I saw a lot of Gow & he was definitely an all time great but to claim the rest in our history were “a distant third” is nonsense.

Merrick? Ritchie? Hunter? Collier? Those 4 just off the top of my head certainly weren’t distant in terms of contribution & ability to the club.

A friend of mine sent over a list of the all time top goal scorers in the top flight of English Football. See link...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_first_tier_top_scorers

It got me thinking about Mr Atyeo.

John scored 351 goals in total for us and looking at the records, he scored 314 league goals for us (so 37 Cup goals). 

Forget top flight football for a moment and look at the link below which confirms that our John sits 8th in the 'number of league goals scored of all time'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_in_England_by_number_of_league_goals

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Played for Portsmouth , was offered a contract. Joined us and subsequently stayed with us as Harry Dolman alowed him to carry on part time. That seems to be the major factor. 
Yes he was loyal as he stayed, the reasons are not purely City or locality though. 

On 19/09/2024 at 22:12, CodeRed said:

No argument from me, Cheesley might have become the number 2 but was cruelly taken out just as he was about to flourish on the big stage. 

A privilege to have seen players like Cheesley, Gerry Gow, Sir Geoff, Ritchie in the shirt compared to the dross served up today.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Atyeo before my time so can’t comment on him myself but people I know who did, all concur he was the best.

I saw a lot of Gow & he was definitely an all time great but to claim the rest in our history were “a distant third” is nonsense.

Merrick? Ritchie? Hunter? Collier? Those 4 just off the top of my head certainly weren’t distant in terms of contribution & ability to the club.

For me , when these conversations start , I want to shout CLIVE WHITEHEAD !! 
Gow head and shoulders best, even though when I started going it was Chris Garland that was my fav. Then that team that slowly moulded into the promotion team had some great players . Collier , pure class and I was gutted when he left. Cheesley , never saw just how good he could have been. Ritchie , I never fully appreciated him until much later. Then Geoff Merrick , absolute class and a great Captain . But for excitement and for a time where we had a target in the box, Whitehead was brilliant. I love watching that Arsenal game , we had a great balance to the team and CW was the best winger I've seen at City. 
Pure numbers , yeah Atyeo even though I didn't see him, then Gerry Gow is an easy shout. But I agree Graham , distant for the rest is a little unfair . 

• Like 1