IGNORED

Advice - Men’s Artificial Football Boots

Jackson Lamb

Hello all,

After 5 years out of playing football. I’m planning on starting up again mid week on 3G pitches.

Wanted to pick some fellow forum members brain and recommendations over boots that are good for AG pitches. Ideally looking to spend less than £100. As I’ve seen most pairs are going from £150 - £250. I’ve always been a fan of Nike but open to any brand and recommendation.

Thanks all!

I play walking football (at the age of 77) twice a week on artificial pitches. You don’t need to spend a fortune. Most of the guys (some of whom were very good as young men) wear boots made of synthetic material, not leather. They are quite cheap. Adidas, which I wear, make one called something like Goaletto (can’t recall for sure off the top) and quite a few others wear the same. About £40 will cover it and mine are still going strong after 4 or 5 years of playing. Don’t need to break the bank.

• Like 2

I play 2-3 times a week on artificial pitches. Some are being upgraded to 4G and they aren't allowing astro boots, (boots with dimples) the only boots they apparently will allow are moulded conical studs. So no blades or hybrid versions comprising a mixture of conical studs and blades. 

Also the conical studs have to be moulded ones not metal ones. This limits the choice considerably. But best to get it right and prepare for pitches being upgraded to 4G where they don't allow the astro turf boots with dimples (which apparently compacts the artificial surface).

49 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I play 2-3 times a week on artificial pitches. Some are being upgraded to 4G and they aren't allowing astro boots, (boots with dimples) the only boots they apparently will allow are moulded conical studs. So no blades or hybrid versions comprising a mixture of conical studs and blades. 

Also the conical studs have to be moulded ones not metal ones. This limits the choice considerably. But best to get it right and prepare for pitches being upgraded to 4G where they don't allow the astro turf boots with dimples (which apparently compacts the artificial surface).

On artificial I’ve always used AG boots or firm ground boots with plastic rounded moulded studs.

I’ve never got on with Astros on 3G in the past. Found myself rolling my ankles quite a bit!

• Like 1

A lot of boots these days are moving away from leather to more synthetic materials.

Appreciate some people will have a morale view on that, but I really struggle with the synthetic boots. I find them too tight and crush my toes even if I go up a size.

Leather will always be my preference, softer and more comfortable fit. Especially the more expensive kangaroo leather boots.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Surely just a pair of black Puma Kings.

Good, but with a big but. Puma Kings Astro's come in a range called the TT and the range varies. The all around TT, the top TT have a built up to area to add durability v the increased friction of playing on synthetic surfaces. Other TT boots do not and all Puma Kings are made of a soft leather that will not be durable versus synthetic surfaces. One game on 3/4G can burn a hole in the toe of Puma Kings minus that durable addtion, several games and training sessions will.