IGNORED

“If we lose the next five”

GrahamC

“Conway is bound to score against us”.

IT DOESN’T ALWAYS WORK OUT LIKE THAT…

Great result, delighted for the players, those hardy souls who travelled, Chris Hogg & of course Liam Manning, though understandable if his mind was elsewhere.

Absolutely takes a bit of pressure off the games coming up, though if we could pinch something on Tuesday that would be marvellous.

• Like 16

The stats couldn’t be more different from most of our games this season in terms of possession, passes etc - we were in the 30%s for possession and did about 300 less passes than Boro. But second half, particularly, we didn’t look in trouble. Yeah, a bit of a rub of the green (Latte Lath should score first half, penalty shout second half) but on the whole, defended in that second half very solidly.

@The turtle made the point as well about a very good “reaction” sub that was made in the matchday thread. More of that please.

A bit ropey first half, a very good defensive second half and a merited three points.

And, just saying. Scott Twine starts - 7 points in 7 games. Scott Twine doesn’t start - 7 points in 3 games. (I know he scored off the bench in one of those ;) ). If that injury pushes us more into a tempo, pressing team which remains our strength then that is a good thing overall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Great result, delighted for the players, those hardy souls who travelled, Chris Hogg & of course Liam Manning, though understandable if his mind was elsewhere.

Absolutely takes a bit of pressure off the games coming up, though if we could pinch something on Tuesday that would be marvellous.

Said it in another thread, it was a tough run of games coming up but I wouldn’t have been any more optimistic had we been due to play the worst 6 teams in the league. Playing against top teams takes the pressure off slightly.

The advantage of no one expecting anything is that everything feels even better when it happens.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The stats couldn’t be more different from most of our games this season in terms of possession, passes etc - we were in the 30%s for possession and did about 300 less passes than Boro. But second half, particularly, we didn’t look in trouble. Yeah, a bit of a rub of the green (Latte Lath should score first half, penalty shout second half) but on the whole, defended in that second half very solidly.

@The turtle made the point as well about a very good “reaction” sub that was made in the matchday thread. More of that please.

A bit ropey first half, a very good defensive second half and a merited three points.

And, just saying. Scott Twine starts - 7 points in 7 games. Scott Twine doesn’t start - 7 points in 3 games. (I know he scored off the bench in one of those ;) ). If that injury pushes us more into a tempo, pressing team which remains our strength then that is a good thing overall.

I don't think the press looked much better today, but I know exactly what you mean.  I don't like Bird or Knight in that 10 role , but they give us much more all round than Twine. I would still only play one of Yu and Mehmeti , probably play Bird wide left as he would probably give McCrorie more help and cover at least until we have a fit LB. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Making my way back now,after the first 10 it looked like we were in trouble but after that I thought it was a brilliant defensive display,can’t talk on their penalty appeal because my old eyesight isn’t the best anymore and couldn’t see but proud of the lads today putting their bodies on the line,anyway enjoy the win lads because we will 

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sums up the championship really doesn't it? Looking at the run we had I did think we're more likely to lose each match, bookies would definitely agree. Good performance today though, Vyner MOTM.

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Making my way back now,after the first 10 it looked like we were in trouble but after that I thought it was a brilliant defensive display,can’t talk on their penalty appeal because my old eyesight isn’t the best anymore and couldn’t see but proud of the lads today putting their bodies on the line,anyway enjoy the win lads because we will 

I said Pen straight away , and on the replay you could see Vyner had his arm around the lad . That said he threw himself to the ground very theatrically , may have swayed the Ref who I thought was good ( mostly ) . 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I said Pen straight away , and on the replay you could see Vyner had his arm around the lad . That said he threw himself to the ground very theatrically , may have swayed the Ref who I thought was good ( mostly ) . 

It was a blatant second yellow for ayling inside the ground or did he touch the ball 

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Good post Graham. 

I did just wonder is this what one could call a ‘galvanising turning point’? 

Clearly different circumstances but I am thinking back to that turning point under GJ, Northampton away when it looked like we were as far from being a football team as ever. It became a galvanising moment and a turning point not just of the season but GJ’s reign.

I get the tragedy and clear difference, but in some odd way seeing today and the FT scenes I do wonder if this could also be a moment where we all come together and everything clicks. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Unbeaten in 5 games, only Leeds, Sheff Utd and Burnley have lost less games than us, 4 points outside playoffs, it's not all bad!

After two dismal 3-0 defeats, anyone would have taken that.

5 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Very inconsistent with the bookings though!

I thought he was bang on up to the Ayling one, which I can sort of excuse him for. Though you could see that even Ayling though he was gone. Then the one on Williams was a nailed on booking, by then he looked like he felt guilty booking any more Boro players . 

13 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It was a blatant second yellow for ayling inside the ground or did he touch the ball 

It was easily a booking , but he did make an attempt for the ball , clumsy though. Most of the bookings were pulls or trips , I think the Ref gave him the benefit of doubt . Another day and he's gone , McCrorie jumped straight up and made nothing of it either, which helped. 

54 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Said it in another thread, it was a tough run of games coming up but I wouldn’t have been any more optimistic had we been due to play the worst 6 teams in the league. Playing against top teams takes the pressure off slightly.

The advantage of no one expecting anything is that everything feels even better when it happens.

I think it suits our counter attacking set up when we play the better teams, more space to break and players who can exploit it. When we play possession type football we are a bit one paced and lack any penetration 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Thought their guy was doing the same though

Possibly , and TBF the Boro commentary mentioned that , but it comes down to that fall and Vyner's arm . If it's the other way around I'd still be saying it could have been given , and moaning it looked a bit of a dive.