IGNORED

Statistics and bloody lies....ha!

7 or 11 magpies

Don't know which is worse.... reading all this garbage or the persistent traducing of the usual scapegoats ( changes from match to match)......Max, George Tanner, Sammy Bell, ..(injured ATM I know),....Anis, Cam Pring, .... Knight,...Bird...Sykes....etc etc etc,.......in the MDT, ....minute by minute criticism no matter the overall situation in the game.....morons!!!....... I'm old school,. played the game, followed City for nearly seventy years.....first game Spring 1955 Bristol City 3-0 v Crystal Palace, won Div 3 South couple of weeks later,....(.for ages afterwards I thought it was 3-1,)...was ten years old...... football such a simple, exciting, lovely game.....why spoil it?!?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, 7 or 11 magpies said:

Don't know which is worse.... reading all this garbage or the persistent traducing of the usual scapegoats ( changes from match to match)......Max, George Tanner, Sammy Bell, ..(injured ATM I know),....Anis, Cam Pring, .... Knight,...Bird...Sykes....etc etc etc,.......in the MDT, ....minute by minute criticism no matter the overall situation in the game.....morons!!!....... I'm old school,. played the game, followed City for nearly seventy years.....first game Spring 1955 Bristol City 3-0 v Crystal Palace, won Div 3 South couple of weeks later,....(.for ages afterwards I thought it was 3-1,)...was ten years old...... football such a simple, exciting, lovely game.....why spoil it?!?

A question some of us have been asking for nearly a year.....

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 7 or 11 magpies said:

I LOVE YOU! I only have 62 years under my belt!

The utter toss you read here sometimes is soul destroying. The utter utter toss you watch and hear on podcasts is laughable! 

Football is simple!!  But it’s now scrutinized to an extent that people make a living out of it or others get kudos from dissecting the ******* obvious. 

We won today after difficult play! 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

So let’s get this straight. OTIB, this glorious mess of ideas, opinions, debate, controversy and occasional lunacy, basically the very definition of a forum/message board ....it surprises you that other people don’t share your views? What were you expecting from a forum for Bristol City supporters? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon ? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain?

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what the question is? 
The title says something about stats and lies, but the post goes on to say that the MatchDay Thread is just a bunch of people slating the players. And then finishes by saying things have changed over the last 70 years? 

For what it’s worth, I highly doubt the matchday thread is any different to the conversations that would have happened on the terraces in the 1950’s. 
If a player made a mistake, I’m sure that there would have been friends talking to each in the stands saying “bloody hell Bert, that winger is crap int ee. Needs to take him off I reckons” 

Ain’t no different. It’s just written instead of spoken. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

I believe most people over the age of 18, 20 whatever will understand where the OP is coming from and likewise with REDOXO. Clearly Iizys is an incrdibly sad or negative (towards the team we support) as seen by his rather pointless 'contributions'. Of course there is whingeing on the terrace/stands and there will be on any forum but i suspect the point is it the same people who complain about one era (Lee J, Pearson or Liam) and they never comment on the positive days which show them up to be wrong - something that happens regularly to many on here; and they know who they are, they just go silent when we have a couple of things the be relieved about or to smile and be happy about

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Football is a very simple game. Much of my frustration with it these days and frankly what really spoils it, lies with the coaches that over complicate it. Trying to play like Man City without the world class players which leads to pointless passing around at the back. 

that and the immoral amounts of money washing around at the very top which cause a painful ripple through the rest of the leagues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what the question is? 
The title says something about stats and lies, but the post goes on to say that the MatchDay Thread is just a bunch of people slating the players. And then finishes by saying things have changed over the last 70 years? 

For what it’s worth, I highly doubt the matchday thread is any different to the conversations that would have happened on the terraces in the 1950’s. 
If a player made a mistake, I’m sure that there would have been friends talking to each in the stands saying “bloody hell Bert, that winger is crap int ee. Needs to take him off I reckons” 

Yes, I'll hold my hands up, this was written late at night after a fair drop of 'The Famous Grouse', ....got a few things confused,....my main point about negative nit-picking, unnecessary comments about the same players match after match on the MDT still stands though, hope I cleared that up, although expect a few will still need to take the piss,..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 7 or 11 magpies said:

Yes, I'll hold my hands up, this was written late at night after a fair drop of 'The Famous Grouse', ....got a few things confused,....my main point about negative nit-picking, unnecessary comments about the same players match after match on the MDT still stands though, hope I cleared that up, although expect a few will still need to take the piss,..

You say “it’s the same players match after match” but listed 8 different ones in your opening post. That’s virtually the whole team, so there’s not really much scapegoating going on. 

You also missed out Armstrong, Vyner , McNally and Twine, who have all come in for stick at one time or another. So that pretty much covers everyone..!

Im surprised after 70 years, players getting a bit of grief comes as such a surprise. 

4 hours ago, NDW4CITY said:

So let’s get this straight. OTIB, this glorious mess of ideas, opinions, debate, controversy and occasional lunacy, basically the very definition of a forum/message board ....it surprises you that other people don’t share your views? What were you expecting from a forum for Bristol City supporters? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon ? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain?

No, .....just a view of Sidney Opera House 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I believe most people over the age of 18, 20 whatever will understand where the OP is coming from and likewise with REDOXO. Clearly Iizys is an incrdibly sad or negative (towards the team we support) as seen by his rather pointless 'contributions'. Of course there is whingeing on the terrace/stands and there will be on any forum but i suspect the point is it the same people who complain about one era (Lee J, Pearson or Liam) and they never comment on the positive days which show them up to be wrong - something that happens regularly to many on here; and they know who they are, they just go silent when we have a couple of things the be relieved about or to smile and be happy about

I'm incredibly sad at the state of the club right now. I'm incredibly sad that we are in a situation whereby the match day experience has become extremely stale and bloody boring. There's not a lot to be positive about and that makes me incredibly sad. 

What I would say is that it's only the past year I've been as negative as I am. I praise the team when we play well. Always have some, always will. If you've not noticed that so much it says much about the state of play. 

The trouble is that I don't believe that the odd positive result does anything to prove anyone wrong. They're still an outlier to what has seemingly become the norm.

Am I delighted with yesterday's win? Absolutely. If I were a Boro fan would I be wondering how in the hell they lost that game? Yeah. They dominated and we scored two very good goals. We tried time and again to throw the game away and were fortunate that Latte Lath couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo! 

That said, there was some very resolute defending and I was delighted with the result and hope that it managed to allow Liam to crack a smile if even for a brief moment in this devastating time for him and his family.

• Like 3

I can remember when I first started going to Ashton Gate in the mid/late 70s the one thing that took me by surprise and I found quite shocking was the constant moaning about what was happening on the pitch.

Before this I’d only read reports in the Western Daily Press, Shoot and the occasional brief highlights on tv. No social media, forums or podcasts and everything seemed brilliant to a young me.

Dicks was clueless, Sweeney was never a first division player, our strikers were useless etc.

This was top flight football in Bristol so I’m guessing the moaning was at an all time low and had been a lot worse in previous decades.

Moaning is just one of the things football was invented for, it gets it out of everyone’s system so they don’t do it so much at home. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

i suspect the point is it the same people who complain about one era (Lee J, Pearson or Liam) and they never comment on the positive days which show them up to be wrong - something that happens regularly to many on here; and they know who they are, they just go silent when we have a couple of things the be relieved about or to smile and be happy about

And then there’s you… we’ve had a win and you’re back with a vengeance. Where have you been for the last month? Can’t recall reading too much of your rallying calls after the last three drab draws..

• Like 9

4 hours ago, FNQ said:

And then there’s you… we’ve had a win and you’re back with a vengeance. Where have you been for the last month? Can’t recall reading too much of your rallying calls after the last three drab draws..

A lot of people have given up posting their positive views as there are a hard core on here who dish out abuse to anyone who disagrees with their narrative of 'sack everybody'.

• Haha 1

1. This is a forum for all fans opinions
  2. What spoils this "lovely" game is managers who instruct players to go down in a heap as if axed by G Gow when there is nothing wrong just so they can hold a team talk on the halfway line; witnessed this very week with a player crumpled clearly not on the pitch, realising this he rolls over onto it so the ref can stop the game and the manager can have his chat with players.
  3. You dont have to read the garbage on here if it causes you so much pain by the way.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Harry said:

I agree with you there @Harry

In the social media age rumours and misinformation spread instantly, and a group think takes over, which leads to scapegoating and the cancel culture we have seen in recent years.  

When you witness how misinformation about how an alleged asylum seeker murdered some young kids in Stockport less to mass riots and attempts to burn down asylum hotels all over the country, you must see that social.media has changed things on all aspects of life.  Football is not operating in a vacuum.

In the old days, you might have a gripe about a player's performance at the game, in the pub after, or on the bus on the way home but this was very quickly forgotten.  People were more present in their lives, they were very quickly on to the next thing in their life they had to deal with.

Now we have TV coverage, highlights reels, phone-ins, forums, podcasts, you tube analysis, etc which keep us obsessing on the latest failure.  That works for success too, but by the nature of competition the most consistent outcome is failure so that is what gets endlessly debated.

Add in the elevation of coaching techniques and approaches over and about reliance on the brilliance of individual players, and then you have recipe for obsessing on failure and picking over the bones of why things aren't working.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2024 at 23:38, 7 or 11 magpies said:

image.gif.c660f0533044bf54de460cf5e3764265.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

A lot of people have given up posting their positive views as there are a hard core on here who dish out abuse to anyone who disagrees with their narrative of 'sack everybody'.

Exactly this, the negativity wears people down

• Facepalm 2

5 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

It can also be said for the opposite. Try and raise a valid point to the negative or constructive, and you get branded as a 'Nige Lover'.

The forum has become far too polarised and personal. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

42 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Exactly this, the negativity wears people down

⬇️⬇️⬇️

31 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It can also be said for the opposite. Try and raise a valid point to the negative or constructive, and you get branded as a 'Nige Lover'.

The forum has become far too polarised and personal. 

What I see is good debate of both sides when people try to do it with reason / explanation.  If you just come on and post, x is shit or y is brilliant, or just say “you’re wrong” to someone’s opinion you tend to get challenged to explain why.  Nothing wrong with that.  That tends to highlight some posters of fixed view on either side.

Bristol Sport employee or Cult of Nige doesn’t help any debate.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mallorcan Red said:

I'd love to see an analysis of postings after a loss and postings after a win. Seems this place is a whole lot busier for the former not the latter.

"Misery finds company" as they say.

I look at your point in a simplistic manner,:

• win - most people are happy / post positive
  • draw - we didn’t win so a slant towards unhappy / posts tending to be more negative
  • lose - shitstorm in the main.

So only 1 result out of 3 is a happy vibe, whereas 2 out of 3 aren’t.  And that reflects posting volume, we have failed to win in 7 / 10 games this season (8 / 11 inc cup).

I also think it’s much easier to write “he was shit today / it was shit today” than write something positive.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

⬇️⬇️⬇️

What I see is good debate of both sides when people try to do it with reason / explanation.  If you just come on and post, x is shit or y is brilliant, or just say “you’re wrong” to someone’s opinion you tend to get challenged to explain why.  Nothing wrong with that.  That tends to highlight some posters of fixed view on either side.

Bristol Sport employee or Cult of Nige doesn’t help any debate.

Personally Dave I find some of the negativity on here really wearing, have a look at the match thread on Saturday before we scored to see what I mean, for what I consider more sensible debate/discussion I tend to spend more time looking at the “general chat” or “political” sub-forums, I think you also have to accept that people have a right to a point of view or an opinion but aren’t quite able to express their reasoning in words quite as well as others on here can.

3 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Personally Dave I find some of the negativity on here really wearing, have a look at the match thread on Saturday before we scored to see what I mean, for what I consider more sensible debate/discussion I tend to spend more time looking at the “general chat” or “political” sub-forums, I think you also have to accept that people have a right to a point of view or an opinion but aren’t quite able to express their reasoning in words quite as well as others on here can.

The performance before we scored was negative, to be fair. We deserved the win, of course we did. But that doesn't mean Boro can't make the same case for very different and conflicting reasons.

It all boils down to results or performances. I've seen Saturday described as our best "performance" for a long time, it was nowhere near that. It was however our best result. Those two things are not necessarily linked. In football you can win playing shite and lose playing the best you've ever done. 

On both sides of any bias at play the result plays far too big a role in how we assess the performance. There's nuance at play and I agree on MDT's but they're a place for reactions to events. The true analysis comes after the fact when the whole picture is available. On that front there are plenty of balanced, objective accounts of what happened. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I know what you’re saying.  The MDT is a “breed” of its own.  I never / rarely read it outside of giving a h-t summary…then catch-up after the match.  Some of the “takes” during the match are incredulous, both incredible Mystic Meg, and the opposite too.  Tbh before we scored, we were pretty terrible…so you might argue negativity was justified (I don’t know how far the negativity went though).

As for reasoning across “football chat”, that is perfectly fine if we can’t articulate it well (it’s not always easy), but it’s still fairly clear when someone is trying…rather than trying to shut down the debate.  There is plenty of stuff I find wearing on here too.  For the usual suspects, in particular those I can’t be arsed to discuss with, because they don’t want to discuss, I just pop them on ignore.

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

The matchday threads have been a hive of negativity since their very inception. 
Nothing has changed in the 20 years I’ve been on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

The matchday threads have been a hive of negativity since their very inception. 
Nothing has changed in the 20 years I’ve been on this forum. 

Not entirely so Harry.

Results dictate the ‘tone’ of threads. A win and everyone is happy. If it’s draw the tone depends on whether City deserved the point or were robbed of all three…….….:dunno:and usually a draw promotes better quality debate.

A defeat and this place is well worth avoiding and no doubt every clubs forum would be exactly the same. I can imagine what the Boro forum was like after they’d lost against us………..:cool2:

• Flames 2