IGNORED

Fally Mayulu

glynriley

First off, delighted with the win yesterday, especially for Chris Hogg and the players, they’ve put in a serious shift this week. As Hogg said yesterday, hopefully it put a smile on Liam and his family’s faces yesterday even if it was only for a few seconds. 

Now, Fally. What’s going on here? Is it just a question of him settling in to a new environment or is there something else at play. Seems strange that one of our major attacking signings of the summer seems permanently glued to the bench. Not even come on in 3 of the last 5 games, and one of the 2 he did was only for 3 minutes. As much as I like Nakhi, I never thought he’d be starting games this season, all seems a bit odd. 

• Like 1

Well we mostly play with 1 up front. Armstrong (the other young, paid for forward) has mostly been that guy. His finishing hasn't been great but his attitude has been brilliant so you can see why they'd want to include him

Then when you factor in it's been a tough start to the season, to coin the old LJ phrase of picking a team you trust, I can also see why you'd go to Wells next

It's a bit disappointing we haven't gambled a bit more in some of the games and gone with 2 of the 3 at the same time, but I get it

9 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

I can only agree! What is going on? On the outside looking in it makes no sense.But???? Anyone know?

Well when he has played, he's looked all over the place positionally and when or not to press. 

Obviously the Millwall game showed he can finish, but imo, he looks way off, not in ability, but strategically.

• Like 3

He looked incredibly raw when I saw him at Aldershot pre-season. He then scored a couple at the start of the season, which surprised me, and got us a little excited. I think he's just regressed to a roundabout where he was in the Aldershot game. Raw, needing to learn a lot, and needing a few months to adapt and learn in training.

Hope he comes into a few games in the winter glut of games

I don’t there’s anything more to it than “they” (LM and CH) see Armstrong and Wells being better options to start games at this point.

I do feel he was made a scapegoat for Blackburn, when he got eff all service and the whole team were pretty crap.

I also feel that that the recruitment of Twine wasn’t a natural fit for Armstrong or Mayulu and vice-versa.  That’s a bigger worry for me, bearing in mind the money spent.

I wrote this, it kinda goes into that dynamic:

https://www.osibpodcast.com/posts/recruiting-on-paper/

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Well when he has played, he's looked all over the place positionally and when or not to press

Obviously the Millwall game showed he can finish, but imo, he looks way off, not in ability, but strategically.

And I think some of that comes from who plays with him.

Preseason I said he looked far better with Wells playing off him, than with Stokes.  And I don’t think Twine or Bird set the press / block triggers very well in the league matches they’ve played as 10 either.

It often comes back to pairings / combos doesn’t it?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Does all this fancy tactical crap about triggering presses really matter when it's 15 mins to go at AG and you need a winning goal? Just get a bloke who knows where the goal is on the pitch! Sorry, I'm still playing 80's football in my head, when it used to be fun to watch.

You gotta get the ball first! 😉

(Seriously though, how many times in the past have we seen teams suck the life out of the game when we are trying to chase a result.  Quite often we go off-piste, press individually and the player gets picked off)

Edited by Davefevs

My take on it is , Mayulu strikes me as a player that relies on support and getting balls into him in and around the area. For that you need a bit of control and quality in the final 3rd . We haven't had that for a while. Wells and Armstrong rely on their running and movement more , so long ball out suit them better. 
I thought it was a good move with Wells from the start , the better finisher and still drags the CBs around. Bringing Armstrong on for the final part of the game, with players tiring and our best ploy being counter attacks it suited his game and I thought he did well. 
Maybe as the team progresses , maybe gets nearer to how Manning wants to dominate games , he will become first choice . Just not a good fit just yet. 

• Like 4

Thing is here, although our “big” summer striking signing, Fally joined after a season at Rapid Vienna where he hadn’t played many full games, and had joined them on a free transfer from the level below.

There are “signs” there. The instinctive finish up at Hull being the best example. But there are “signs” the other way as well - I remember watching him pre season at Aldershot and there was a huge lack of confidence and he played like he’d barely played the game before.

What has to be remembered - is like the majority of our summer signings - Fally is a punt. Hes a 22 year old who on joining us had 28 games and 6 goals at any kind of reasonable standard. He may well end up being fantastic - because there are “signs” as I say. But equally, and more likely in view of the nature of the punt, he may not work out.

I don’t think there’s anything untoward. I think it’s more that we bought an inexperienced player with potential and right now, we’re not sure which way he’s going to go and aren’t thinking he’s worth the “risk” against other options at present.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

59 minutes ago, glynriley said:

First off, delighted with the win yesterday, especially for Chris Hogg and the players, they’ve put in a serious shift this week. As Hogg said yesterday, hopefully it put a smile on Liam and his family’s faces yesterday even if it was only for a few seconds. 

Now, Fally. What’s going on here? Is it just a question of him settling in to a new environment or is there something else at play. Seems strange that one of our major attacking signings of the summer seems permanently glued to the bench. Not even come on in 3 of the last 5 games, and one of the 2 he did was only for 3 minutes. As much as I like Nakhi, I never thought he’d be starting games this season, all seems a bit odd. 

Exactly Nakhi is ok as a sub but how the hell can he be included over one of our biggest transfer signings.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t there’s anything more to it than “they” (LM and CH) see Armstrong and Wells being better options to start games at this point.

I do feel he was made a scapegoat for Blackburn, when he got eff all service and the whole team were pretty crap.

I also feel that that the recruitment of Twine wasn’t a natural fit for Armstrong or Mayulu and vice-versa.  That’s a bigger worry for me, bearing in mind the money spent.

I think the problem may stem from Blackburn, but as you say it's not his fault. 

I think subconsciously the players see a big man up the pitch and think "there's my target" and everything went long into him.

Despite his size, I don't think he is ever going to be a "backs to the goal target man" and the Blackburn defenders just nullified him. 

He'll come again though, we are talking about young lad coming from a pretty low league level and to his 2nd new country in 4 years, I think the Management are right to take the pressure away for now.

10 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I think that is what Knight does particularly well when playing more forward

It’s a conundrum isn’t it. I agree that Knight’s pressing is good and he can steal the ball off defenders like he did yesterday, so I can see why Manning and Hogg play him there. The downside is that his passing/creativity is not as good as you would want in a number 10 ideally. Mind you if it was, he wouldn’t be here. Having said that, Knight’s work rate led to both goals yesterday, including a good pass to Mehmeti for his goal. The big difference for me yesterday was that we took our first half chances - we have been missing a lot of them so far this season. 

• Like 4

I think we've seen enough potential there, and I don't just mean the goals. He shown some really nice touches too.

It doesnt worry me that his gametime is low, so long as his expectations are being managed. I just hope he feels part of the team and isn't getting too frustrated.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thing is here, although our “big” summer striking signing, Fally joined after a season at Rapid Vienna where he hadn’t played many full games, and had joined them on a free transfer from the level below.

There are “signs” there. The instinctive finish up at Hull being the best example. But there are “signs” the other way as well - I remember watching him pre season at Aldershot and there was a huge lack of confidence and he played like he’d barely played the game before.

What has to be remembered - is like the majority of our summer signings - Fally is a punt. Hes a 22 year old who on joining us had 28 games and 6 goals at any kind of reasonable standard. He may well end up being fantastic - because there are “signs” as I say. But equally, and more likely in view of the nature of the punt, he may not work out.

I don’t think there’s anything untoward. I think it’s more that we bought an inexperienced player with potential and right now, we’re not sure which way he’s going to go and aren’t thinking he’s worth the “risk” against other options at present.

Agree about that game at Aldershot. I said to my mate exactly what you said about him looking like he had never played. 
Since then though, he’s certainly showed he can finish. I’m surprised he’s not had more minutes on the pitch recently.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think they LM/CH are very numbers driven, chances, possession etc.  I think their use of the numbers is fairly limited but Armstrong generates more shots on goal and balances the books better.

Fally on the other hand has quality but need the right service.  He also needs to develop in this league both of which he will struggle to do in this current team.  So I think you're right for the management Armstrong simply gives Manning a better story to tell post match.

Ironically I think a slightly different system would suite Fally better.

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My fear is that as soon as Twine is fit he will be shoehorned back into the team irrespective of how well the team has played without him. We've seen in the past where players have been injured/suspended and by luck new partnerships have been discovered through rigid managers/coaches being forced to adapt. Said player comes back into the team and everyone has to go back to square one!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Midred said:

My fear is that as soon as Twine is fit he will be shoehorned back into the team irrespective of how well the team has played without him. We've seen in the past where players have been injured/suspended and by luck new partnerships have been discovered through rigid managers/coaches being forced to adapt. Said player comes back into the team and everyone has to go back to square one!

different games will need different players.( up to Liam and Hoggy to work out who for what games)  personally i think nahki and zak  would have stepped up and been the leaders on the pitch in dificult circumstances yesterday. both did really well.

i also dont for one minute think nahki is finished, if he was past it,he wouldnt have showed up for internationals ahead of our tough run of games, hes far too experienced to just sack off because we spent some money on a punt that hasnt found his feet yet. fally and twine will get their fair share of game time,as will everybody else as the injuries and suspensions kick in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

100%.

Also, Nahki is bloody underrated, very good decision to start with him as the lone striker yesterday & Armstrong is absolutely ideal to do 25 minutes when we’re 2 up, closing down, challenging for the aerial ball without the pressure of scoring.

I rate Mayulu higher than him, but not for the job needed yesterday.

Nahki won’t go on for ever & we will benefit by easing him in.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's a weird one. I still hold the opinion that he is our best #9, and by a considerable margin, if we were to utilize him in the way he wants to be, and partially in the way Rapid Wien used him. If you sit down and just watch him when he's on the pitch, you'll start to notice what he's doing positionally and why he seems out of position compared to our other #9s. He shows for the ball and constantly wants it to his feet just in front of the defense. It's almost surprising how often he does it, but it makes sense—that's his game. He's a great footballer technically, with quick feet, and he has a big frame to hold off defenders. However, that is almost the complete opposite of what we want from our #9, which is why Armstrong is so heavily preferred.

In my eyes, we'd be a better team if we moulded ourselves to the type of player Mayulu is, rather than to the type of player Armstrong is, but we clearly aren't going to do that. So don't expect much from Mayulu until he's coached to go in behind more often than to show for the ball. Granted I imagine in time he'll get quite good at that too. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

My take on it is , Mayulu strikes me as a player that relies on support and getting balls into him in and around the area. For that you need a bit of control and quality in the final 3rd . We haven't had that for a while. Wells and Armstrong rely on their running and movement more , so long ball out suit them better. 
I thought it was a good move with Wells from the start , the better finisher and still drags the CBs around. Bringing Armstrong on for the final part of the game, with players tiring and our best ploy being counter attacks it suited his game and I thought he did well. 
Maybe as the team progresses , maybe gets nearer to how Manning wants to dominate games , he will become first choice . Just not a good fit just yet. 

For me, that’s what we’ve had a lot of this season…”control”….but not enough penetration.  There’s been quite a few games where you wanna bounce passes in and off of Mayulu, but unfortunately he’s been sat on the bench.  We saw against Cov (Carabao) how he and Wells dovetailed nicely, good movement off each other, one going in behind the other.  But he needs someone play close.  Twine, nor Bird (nor Stokes preseason) do that.  Can you imagine Weimann playing 10/SS, running off him like he did with Martin and to a lesser extent Semenyo in WSM?  I think he’d have loved it.

1 hour ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Exactly Nakhi is ok as a sub but how the hell can he be included over one of our biggest transfer signings.

Because it’s a squad game, and yesterday the management deemed him the right person to start.

(I’m not sure Mayulu was anything like the €3.5m quoted by Sky Austria, from the whispers I heard…more like half that)

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I think the problem may stem from Blackburn, but as you say it's not his fault. 

I think subconsciously the players see a big man up the pitch and think "there's my target" and everything went long into him.

Despite his size, I don't think he is ever going to be a "backs to the goal target man" and the Blackburn defenders just nullified him. 

He'll come again though, we are talking about young lad coming from a pretty low league level and to his 2nd new country in 4 years, I think the Management are right to take the pressure away for now.

Gilhespy (on 3Ps pod) certainly didn’t describe him as a typical target-man either.  We were just crap against Blackburn weren’t we?

Not sure Austrian Bundesliga (and Rapid Vienna) is low league though.

1 hour ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Hes finished mate no pace just good inthe dressing room apparently were not in the habbit of spending three million on bench warmers.

He still has his pace imho.  And if he has lost a smidge, he’s made up for it in experience and guile.  Did a good job yesterday with little service.  So he was good on the pitch yesterday too! 😉

• Like 2

• Admin

It's all about integration and making him feel at home 

We have no idea how he's settling in the area, but also due to the way we play only one striker will start and one come on as an impact sub 

I'd raise concerns if required at the end of the season, not this early. 

Players have to bide their time just like Mcguane for example. 

• Like 1

Not writing him off, quite the reverse, think he looks a very intelligent and technically good player, perhaps needs a run in the side to build the understanding of the players around in as always looks to be playing a pass and move. Think he will combine very well with Twine, Yu and Knight / Bird but we have not had a settled side and its difficult for LM to stick with him when under pressure for results. Would also like to see him and Armstrong out wide and on the pitch at the same time. Some players are arrogant and have total self belief in their ability, some may find that confidence hard to come by, particularly after such a big move, not sure what his character is, but sure he will come good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

For me, that’s what we’ve had a lot of this season…”control”….but not enough penetration.  There’s been quite a few games where you wanna bounce passes in and off of Mayulu, but unfortunately he’s been sat on the bench.  We saw against Cov (Carabao) how he and Wells dovetailed nicely, good movement off each other, one going in behind the other.  But he needs someone play close.  Twine, nor Bird (nor Stokes preseason) do that.  Can you imagine Weimann playing 10/SS, running off him like he did with Martin and to a lesser extent Semenyo in WSM?  I think he’d have loved it.

Totally agree ,that's what I meant by that bit of quality (service).
We have 2 wingers , and while they both scored yesterday , hardly supply loads of ball to whoever is up front, specially not from possession nearer the area. I'd like to see Wells and Twine behind Mayulu. One running off and one to supply the ammo. Looks like we will stick with this shape and 2 wingers though.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Totally agree ,that's what I meant by that bit of quality (service).
We have 2 wingers , and while they both scored yesterday , hardly supply loads of ball to whoever is up front, specially not from possession nearer the area. I'd like to see Wells and Twine behind Mayulu. One running off and one to supply the ammo. Looks like we will stick with this shape and 2 wingers though.

It’s a really interesting one, and one to watch as the season goes on.

I’m not saying this is the same, nor will it play out as such, but Twine’s signing has potential to be the same as LJ’s - “I must have Wells, he’s the missing piece of the jigsaw to get to the playoffs” in Jan of 19/20 season, and ended that pre-Covid run of games not picking him to start or that playing him and Diedhiou didn’t work and was too big a deviation from the 4141 they’d been playing up til the signing.

• Like 1

Anyone know where we are with Adam Murphy, I see he is now playing regularly for the U21s so must be over his muscle disease thing he had.... he is someone I'd love to see in the 1st team given the hype surrounding him and the outstanding u21 performances he put in since coming to the club.

• Hmmm 1

29 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Anyone know where we are with Adam Murphy, I see he is now playing regularly for the U21s so must be over his muscle disease thing he had.... he is someone I'd love to see in the 1st team given the hype surrounding him and the outstanding u21 performances he put in since coming to the club.

Glad to hear he’s now playing regularly for the U21’s 

30 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Has he been outstanding?  I’ve only seen the Norwich game (the other night) and he was pretty average in that game.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Has he been outstanding?  I’ve only seen the Norwich game (the other night) and he was pretty average in that game.

I thought he was ok, there were occasions he stood out a few things he did where I thought you could see he has an older head on his shoulders. 

2 excellent switches of play with Hoddle like passes which don't necessarily fit in with the first team style 

• Like 1

Just now, Port Said Red said:

I thought he was ok, there were occasions he stood out a few things he did where I thought you could see he has an older head on his shoulders. 

2 excellent switches of play with Hoddle like passes which don't necessarily fit in with the first team style 

Yeah. Those were the exact two things I saw and liked.  But he was often 2-3 yards off his man out of possession, allowing his opponent an easy touch.

If the managementcontine to play with one up front then we have 1 or 2 unhappy forwards. I was watching his body language v Sheffield Wednesday. He look very unhappy that as the subs came on and he did not. Like me he wanted the chance to get us 2 exra points.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And I think some of that comes from who plays with him.

Preseason I said he looked far better with Wells playing off him, than with Stokes.  And I don’t think Twine or Bird set the press / block triggers very well in the league matches they’ve played as 10 either.

It often comes back to pairings / combos doesn’t it?

Perhaps communication ability as well?

Some players are more vocal, some more able to communicate effectively on the pitch.

Wells probably feels more confident in telling players where/when to press or where he wants them to run as someone who has been at the club for years and is approaching the end of his career than Stokes might as someone who signed in Jan(?) and spent the rest of the season back at Aldershot and is at the beginning of his career.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roe said:

Well we mostly play with 1 up front. Armstrong (the other young, paid for forward) has mostly been that guy. His finishing hasn't been great but his attitude has been brilliant so you can see why they'd want to include him

Then when you factor in it's been a tough start to the season, to coin the old LJ phrase of picking a team you trust, I can also see why you'd go to Wells next

It's a bit disappointing we haven't gambled a bit more in some of the games and gone with 2 of the 3 at the same time, but I get it

Agreed his finishing hasn't been great it has been hopeless.

• Like 1

From what I’ve seen of both Armstrong and Fally, neither fill me with confidence. There may be long term potential there,but in the short term,we seem to have spent anything up to £5m on 2 players without much of a track record of scoring.

Start with Wells is fine,but that where we were last season.

We have only lost twice this season, but have 5 draws which could have all been turned into wins.We will never get a Haaland,but we did have Tammy,who was a deadly finisher and Semenyo,doing very well at Bournemouth,

Just think our recruitment could have been better thought through. In the meantime,where are the goals coming from?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1