IGNORED

Darlington Sign Matthews

Guest uncovered

I have done a bit of research and this matthews seems a goo dplayer although he is injury prone.  Hopefully he can do a job at our place. 

Darlo Uncovered

He's a talented striker who is, however, always overweight and out of condition. As a result of this general lack of fitness, he is constantly injured.

The only job he will do for you is to show occasional glimpses of what he could be in between keeping your treatment table warm.

Guest pukka_tukka

Lee Matthews is a useful player, its just we have got Peacock and Miller who i think are both better than him, he will score you some goals...and reduce our wage bill :)

I was surprized to learn how young he is, 25 in January, Whenever I've seen him he looks like a player 10 years older. He has been really unlucky with injuries (City can sure pick them). He should be playing at the peak of his career (Tins is an exception). Usually as a player gets older they slow up and take longer to recover from knocks, not good news for Matthews...unless he has a Tinnion revival?!

That aside I quite like the bloke, always looks delighted to score (of course) and has a knack of only being on the pitch for a couple of mins and knocking one in (sometimes). I'd like to think he could still make it here but feel his time is running out.

I wouldn't want him to go to the Gas though, he has suffered enough! :)

:sport18:

i might be wrong in saying but isnt peacocks and matthews contract up at the end of this season i see peacock getting one but unfortunaly i dont see matthews being handed one which is a shame because he is a good player when he isnt carrying an injury

Good to see our news site has it's priorities right. Information on the worlds most famous syrup wearer, but nothing on a 1st team player disappearing off on loan.

IMO. there must be room for two bums on the bench now Matthews has gone, can we get dispensation from the league to add Marvin and Leroy?

Good to see our news site has it's priorities right. Information on the worlds most famous syrup wearer, but nothing on a 1st team player disappearing off on loan.

Sorry?

News on Elton John concert is underneath this news story.

News Story

With the FACTS

Cheers,

Adam

Guest redrobin108

Matthews going on loan to Darlington, is a bad move for city. Peacock will now begin to think that he is the club 1st choice striker.

Wilson must get a striker, someone who has the ability to score goals at this level. Miller is still not proven, Peacock is just peacock. We have missed out on Robins, I hate to say this but we must try to get cureton down at the gate, he is a proven goal scorer at this level, more so than anything we have at present.

Matthews going on loan to Darlington, is a bad move for city. Peacock will now begin to think that he is the club 1st choice striker.

Wilson must get a striker, someone who has the ability to score goals at this level. Miller is still not proven, Peacock is just peacock. We have missed out on Robins, I hate to say this but we must try to get cureton down at the gate, he is a proven goal scorer at this level, more so than anything we have at present.

Just a bit to add, I don't think it took sending Matthews out on loan would have had any affect on Peacock thinking he is the 1st choice striker. Especially because he is :Confused13: - And Matthews has done no more than come of the bench since the beginning of the year? I think competition between Peacock, Miller, Roberts and Lita will be just the same as far as worrying Peacock than if Matthews too was there.

That said It's a good move because if Matthews was not out on loan, he would not be playing at all. The reserves have no more games in the next month.

Matthews going on loan to Darlington, is a bad move for city. .
<br /> Just to add to this....

Darlington will pay half of his wages as part of the deal. As for accommodation, Matthews will be staying with his parents in Middlesbrough.

So I don't think it can be that bad at all for City. Not only does Matthews get to play at a higher level than the reserves that he has been limited to, It will cost the club less, on wages, and for you stranglers, the food bill as well :)

And thought it was interesting to note:

Swindon, Oxford and Doncaster were all chasing him --- Interesting ;)

Virtually any loan move for Matthews would be a good for the player.He needs games to prove his fitness and he won't be able to that in the reserves.

I hope he goes on a months loan.Its a win win situation for City.Matthews gets properly fit(hopefully) bags a few goals (hopefully!) Whoever goes to pays his wages for the loan period and he returns to City match fit.

Great deal.

That said It's a good move because if Matthews was not out on loan, he would not be playing at all. The reserves have no more games in the next month.

More importantly, someone else can pay the fat waster's wages for a month. Hopefully, by some miracle, he'll manage to stay fit for four weeks and they'll extend the loan for another two months. Then we'd only have to fund his inactivity for three more months before we can finally show him the door.

Guest Elye_Ball

Matthews scored two against the Gas on my birthday so I'll always have a soft spot for him...

Although he hasn't done it on a regular basis for us he has bagged a couple of important goals... He put Reading and Cardiff to bed in two good away results for us and has got a couple of other good goals... his best of which was the free kick to win the game at Cheltenham...

Good luck to the bloke, I hope he can get his career going again and I'm sure, given a proper run in the side, he can do the business for Darlington.

Guest KingswoodRed
<br /> More importantly, someone else can pay the fat waster's wages for a month. Hopefully, by some miracle, he'll manage to stay fit for four weeks and they'll extend the loan for another two months. Then we'd only have to fund his inactivity for three more months before we can finally show him the door.

I'm sorry but I have to reply to this particular thread.

Yes you have your opinions, somewhat missed by a vast amount of forum members for some time, if memory serves me rightly.

But if all that was missed about your postings involved such personal attacks as to call the lad a 'fat waster', then I suggest perhaps the feelings of sadness to your absence from this forum were slightly misguided.

In my opinion, nobody should be classed as a 'fat waster', whether he or she has had the honour of wearing a Bristol City shirt or not.

In my opinion, nobody should be classed as a 'fat waster', whether he or she has had the honour of wearing a Bristol City shirt or not.

I see loads of "fat wasters" wearing City shirts at every City match I go to.Most of them are stuffing thier faces with pasties,beer and pies before the game.

As for Matthews - he's a player for our club and therefore open to opinions from the supporters and some would agree with Edson....'nuff said

Yes you have your opinions, somewhat missed by a vast amount of forum members for some time, if memory serves me rightly.

But if all that was missed about your postings involved such personal attacks as to call the lad a 'fat waster', then I suggest perhaps the feelings of sadness to your absence from this forum were slightly misguided.

Well, he's overweight and he has wasted his talent by not getting himself into shape, so which bit shouldn't I have used?

He's a professional sportsman who is paid handsomely by you, me and everyone else on this forum to play football for our club. He hasn't done so for any sustained period because of his inability to get himself fit, which has led to him picking up injuries on a ludicrously regualr basis. Whilst he is employed by a club I put money into, I will call him a fat waster if that is my perception of him.

I'll ignore the rest of your post, as it's a bit of a personal attack on me, and we've just established you're against that sort of thing.

Guest KingswoodRed

I see loads of "fat wasters" wearing City shirts at every City match I go to.Most of them are stuffing thier faces with pasties,beer and pies before the game.

As for Matthews - he's a player for our club and therefore open to opinions from the supporters and some would agree with Edson....'nuff said

Um, no. Not 'nuff said.

You are beyond belief with your arrogant attitude towards other fans. I am sure I am not alone in that opinion either.

First it's the sad old cookie the 'part-timers'.

Now it's the you see 'loads of "fat wasters" wearing City shirts at every City match I go to.'

Is that because they are regulars, and therefore immune from your 'part-timer' abuse?

Truly unbelievable. Oh and before you reply with 'it was only a joke' sort of cop out, forget it. Not even close.

I'll ignore the rest of your post, as it's a bit of a personal attack on me, and we've just established you're against that sort of thing.

Is that it?

I suggested perhaps the feelings of sadness to your absence from this forum were slightly misguided.

Rather a weak excuse for feeling personally abused? If indeed you do feel it is personal, then I apologise, but maybe you should ask yourself if a person can be offended by something as weak as that, should he or she be using descriptions as 'fat wasters'?

Is that it?

I suggested perhaps the feelings of sadness to your absence from this forum were slightly misguided.

Rather a weak excuse for feeling personally abused? If indeed you do feel it is personal, then I apologise, but maybe you should ask yourself if a person can be offended by something as weak as that, should he or she be using descriptions as 'fat wasters'?

No, I'm not offended at all, it's an open forum where you are entitled to freedom of speech and opinion on anything, as am I. I was just pointing out, that for one so vehemently opposed to personal insults, you aren't averse to handing them out yourself, apparently.

If you are happy for our club to be paying a man 2 grand a week to sit on his backside, whilst persitently failing to get fit and, as a consequence, picking up injuries on a regular basis, then that is entirely up to you. However, I reserve the right to challenge it and label him in the way I did, because it is my opinion of him.

Guest KingswoodRed

'If you are happy for our club to be paying a man 2 grand a week to sit on his backside, whilst persitently failing to get fit and, as a consequence, picking up injuries on a regular basis, then that is entirely up to you. However, I reserve the right to challenge it and label him in the way I did, because it is my opinion of him.'

You miss my point.

I most certainly would not be happy with ANY Bristol City player who may feel the need to 'sit on his backside' or indeed 'failing to get fit' whilst being paid '2 grand' a week.

My point was, and still is, your description of a Bristol City player as a 'fat waster' in my opinion is too personal. As it would be for anyone.

I do not feel anyone is worthy of such a description whether you feel, if indeed he does, sit around and fail to get fit at his leisure.

You miss my point.

I most certainly would not be happy with ANY Bristol City player who may feel the need to 'sit on his backside' or indeed 'failing to get fit' whilst being paid '2 grand' a week.

My point was, and still is, your description of a Bristol City player as a 'fat waster' in my opinion is too personal. As it would be for anyone.

I do not feel anyone is worthy of such a description whether you feel, if indeed he does, sit around and fail to get fit at his leisure.

No, I take your point. I just disagree with it on this occasion, that's all.

I'm delighted to see the back of the porcine procrastinator.

In another thread, somebody pointed out that since his professional debut in 1997, the weight-challenged wastrel has managed to complete a grand total of 30 games of professional football. So he's either been very unlucky with injuries, or he hasn't applied himself in the correct manner in order to stay fit during that time.

Yes he's scored some great goals, yes he's looked like a real prospect on occasion, but most of the time the ungulatory underachiever has seemed to be quite happy to pick up his handsome wages without putting in the effort required to justify them.

I wish the chubby chip chomper well in his future career ... whatever that might be.

Oh boundless joy, now Peacock cant be replaced, so we'll witness more of his clumsy attempts to play the ball, go the wrong way, and miss sitters every week, to add to Robbo's lack of confidence in front of goal. Dont expect City to start scoring goals then.

Will we actually have any strikers not up for contract renewal next year then. how long did Robbo sign for?

Apart from Leroy, are there any strikers coming through the academy work a punt on?

<br /> As I understand it, part of the reason for Edson's self imposed exile was due to finger trouble.

For example, he clearly meant to put "w at faster" down, meaning that Matthews is going on a fast and will not be consuming any more wats of ale. I think you'll agree this interpretation gives a very positive post.

I for one welcome Edson back as long as he can sort out those typos.

As I understand it, part of the reason for Edson's self imposed exile was due to finger trouble.

For example, he clearly meant to put "w at faster" down, meaning that Matthews is going on a fast and will not be consuming any more wats of ale.  I think you'll agree this interpretation gives a very positive post.

I for one welcome Edson back as long as he can sort out those typos.

Thanks, Chivs. I'd like to withdraw the 'fat waster' jibe, anyway, if I may.

On closer inspection, it's clear that Lee Matthews has never wasted any fat that has been offered to him as part of his diet.

I'm delighted to see the back of the porcine procrastinator.

In another thread, somebody pointed out that since his professional debut in 1997, the weight-challenged wastrel has managed to complete a grand total of 30 games of professional football. So he's either been very unlucky with injuries, or he hasn't applied himself in the correct manner in order to stay fit during that time.

Yes he's scored some great goals, yes he's looked like a real prospect on occasion, but most of the time the ungulatory underachiever has seemed to be quite happy to pick up his handsome wages without putting in the effort required to justify them.

I wish the chubby chip chomper well in his future career ... whatever that might be.

Dave, You make some points I'm not to sure of here.

For starters theres this

So he's either been very unlucky with injuries, or he hasn't applied himself in the correct manner in order to stay fit during that time.

How do any of us know its simple not just a case of him being unlucky with injuries ? Has it been proved that he leads a lifestyle that has caused him to pick up these silly niggly injuries ?

Perhaps as you say Dave he is simply unlucky in which case does he deserve this abuse thats being directed at him ? ?

Now correct me if I am wrong but didnt Danny Wilson comment on his commitment during pre-season ?? How much work Lee had done over the summer to get himself back in shape ?

Again does anyone actually know how the player applies himself in training on a day to day basis ?

For all anyone knows he could be the hardest working player at the club ??

Perhaps the insults are a little over the top at this stage as he is after all a city player and we dont really know why he picks these injuries up.

Guest lobster

A striker does not need to be slimline to be effective - Viduka (when on form) being a case in point. However, whenever I've seen Matthews play, he's looked off the pace and struggled to get involved.

He's a big hearted player who has been very unfortunate with injuries and should benefit from having a run of games in a lower division. Nonetheless, with Miller coming into his own and Lita looking good for the ressies, I can't see him having much of a future at Ashton Gate.

Is it any wonder that this club is losing money at an incredible rate when we are paying players 2 grand a week to sit in the stands, at the end of this season the club should ditch any player over 23 who has played less than a quarter of the games, surely football clubs need to get rid of these free loaders from our game, a squad of 20 players max is surely enough for a second division team.

Archived