IGNORED

Stoke City away match thread

Jerseybean

I've tried my best to support Sinclair Armstrong despite being very critical of the recruitment team in signing him as first choice main striker.

However that was beyond terrible from him, offside what three times, every pass mishit behind the man

Jeeeesss really really really bad

On a more positive note I thoroughly enjoyed that performance overall and I think I love George Earthy. We need to get him in the team and on the ball more

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 3

Really good performance, deserved all 3 but a great fight back from 2 down.

Some really good football played, their keeper has had an absolute blinder. 

Individual errors still costing us but the unbeaten run continues. 

• Like 1

A great Pro Nakhi! A great comeback!

Watched some of the 2nd half, listened to some of it..maybe will watch it properly in the coming days, both that and the Middlesbrough game-, Earthy for Mehmeti presumably isn't a pre-planned sub? Or was it.

Is it a point gained or is it 2 dropped..bit of both maybe. 4 points and 4 Goals from these 2 we woid have all been quite happy with and yet when you have 28 Shots you really should win!

Like for like sub Wells for Armstrong was pointless.

Bird deeper was fine but he's been poor in the 10 second half, kept losing the ball.

Absolute basketball game and we really could have gone for the win tonight. 

Would have preferred Bird off and Sykes off earlier, let the game disappear a bit.

Armstrong has been dreadful, provides no link up. Passed it behind his teammate like 5 times and that offside from the counter with Earthy was shameful. 

We could have scored maybe 5 out of the 20+ attempts or whatever it was. Real lack of quality after the opener for them.

Their manager won't last playing like that, so open. We could have been done with that game with better game management. 

Take the point but feels like we've let the three drift away.

Edited by ProfitInMyPocket
  • Like 1

Just punished for poor defending at the start. Vyner probably the worst I've seen him play in a while.

Credit for the general performance, like chalk and cheese compared to blackburn for example.

Their keeper has pulled some cracking saves off.

Would have taken 4 points from tonight and saturday if it was offered last week to be honest..

We should go into the Leeds game with a fair bit of confidence but cannot afford to defend like that against them on Saturday..

1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Not keen on his lay offs

Seem to always go behind the player

Potentially put us in danger on the counter 

Well played though lads

Isn’t that what cost us the goal against Cardiff? Amazed to see him do it 3 more times tonight

• Like 1

Just now, kit said:

Just punished for poor defending at the start. Vyner probably the worst I've seen him play in a while.

Credit for the general performance, like chalk and cheese compared to blackburn for example.

Their keeper was MotM for me 

Good point in the end, we could have won that created a lot of chances 28 tonight but we look so shaky at the back we were lucky tonight stock manager took off there best attacking players, 

Armstrong was a wasted sub we lots our cutting edge 

• Like 2

What a mixed bag. We have some cracking players - but Armstrong - jeez. If we're supposed to be challenging...????? Offsides, poor touches, big lump who can run quickly - seriously? Is that what we're about? A season in the U21s or on loan and see what that makes of him? Should be nowhere near the first team.

Hey ho. Should have won that but a point isn't bad after that start.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

I've tried my best to support Sinclair Armstrong despite being very critical of the recruitment team in signing him as first choice man striker.

However that was beyond terrible from him, offside what three times, every pass mishit behind the man

Jeeeesss really really really bad

How must Fally feel seeing that??

• Like 2

Whats happened to Zak?

Just all over the place everytime ball came over the top towards him.

Before the game I'd have taken a draw - especially after the first ten, but again a bit fustrating. We've actually been dominant in terms of all around play which is something I've critiqued previously, but for Victor's heroics in the Stoke goal on occaision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bris Red said:

Would have taken 4 points from tonight and saturday if it was offered last week to be honest..

Would’ve absolutely torn your hand off for it tbf.  Shame it wasn’t 6 though as they were there for the taking tonight even with the 2 goal head start.   But a superb return nonetheless.  

• Like 4

Well , decent point after going 2-0 down.

I spent the first 15 minutes on the phone trying to get our 2nd box sorted so I could get the Mrs in the other room . 2-0 by the time I sat down.

Created a few good chances and lots of decent positions. Wells showed why he's been involved , he can finish !
I thought Mayulu was a good fit for how the game was shaping up, but I understand why Armstrong was used. 
Just the same things I moan about , sloppy passing all over the pitch. 

4 points so far from a tough looking run is good, hope we can keep it going Saturday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kit said:

You usually have a commanding CB and a “listener”. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Vyner looked his best alongside Dickie, and poor alongside McNally. He needs a commander next to him, and McNally probably the same from what I’ve seen of him.

As for their keeper, Bentley 2.0 to me, great shot stopper but flapped at loads of crosses

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Like for like sub Wells for Armstrong was pointless.

Bird deeper was fine but he's been poor in the 10 second half, kept losing the ball.

Absolute basketball game and we really could have gone for the win tonight. 

Would have preferred Bird off and Sykes off earlier, let the game disappear a bit.

Armstrong has been dreadful, provides no link up. Passed it behind his teammate like 5 times and that offside from the counter with Earthy was shameful. 

We could have scored maybe 5 out of the 20+ attempts or whatever it was. Real lack of quality after the opener for them.

Their manager won't last playing like that, so open. We could have been done with that game with better game management. 

Take the point but feels like we've let the three drift away.

I'm not sure Wells for Armstrong is like for like really?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

That sounds very much like ‘We are too good to go down’

I think we are. It seems like you need to be really poor in this division and I don't think we are. We have quality but its just not consistent. 

I thought overall though tonight we played well, responded well to going behind and deserved more than a draw. We seem to be moving forward with more purpose and less tippy tippy sideways stuff.

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Pick the bones out of that. I actually think there’s more pluses out of tonight than Saturday overall . Much more intent to our play . Strange to say being 2-0 down but it feels bit two points dropped. I’d be more than happy with that intent though for the rest of the season 

Middlesbrough are a much better side or more dominant side than Stoke tbh (statistically etc) but I agree.

28 Shots Away from Home vs any side in the same division is exceptional really, from periods I saw Stoke, save for Johansson frequently couldn't stop us.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with the fighting spirit of this team. Plus I’m sure someone said on this forum a couple of days ago that Wells was finished! Start Wells again on Saturday. I hope Dickie is back soon though - unsurprisingly we are really missing our player of last season.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Whats happened to Zak?

Just all over the place everytime ball came over the top towards him.

Before the game I'd have taken a draw - especially after the first ten, but again a bit fustrating. We've actually been dominant in terms of all around play which is something I've critiqued previously, but for Victor's heroics in the Stoke goal on occaision.

Misses the Dickie 

• Like 1

Great point in the end but really should of been 3 , can’t understand why we were not at it in the first 10-15 mins even us fans know away at Stoke you got to be at it from the start surely the players should know that ,

by the way how long until Dickies back - he plays tonight we win the game simple as that 

McNally creeping up the list of worst ever signings - that hoppy jump for there first goal ffs man 

2 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

I'm baffled by the starting line up. 

34 year old Wells being flogged twice in one week uptop on his own.

max bird playing put of position when we have george earthy chomping at the bit to play in the number 10 role.

no mayulu again ??

And why the hell has he dropped our most influential and in form player hirkawa for mark bloody sykes ! Yu is fresh off the back of scoring aswell.

poor lineup.

My comment about wells aged well haha

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

You usually have a commanding CB and a “listener”. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Vyner looked his best alongside Dickie, and poor alongside McNally. He needs a commander next to him, and McNally probably the same from what I’ve seen of him.

As for their keeper, Bentley 2.0 to me, great shot stopper but flapped at loads of crosses

The sooner Dickie is back the better - Dickie plays we win the game 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Yet on last Saturday’s performance he was selected in the Championship team of the week.

I think the truth is he is just inconsistent, like too many of our players.  Look at Mehmeti tonight for another example.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Lost 2 out of 11. Manning has made us hard to beat 

Incredible really when our defence has gotten so much worse.

I think it's a fluke that we haven't lost more and conversely won more, rather than any particular design 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

I think we are. It seems like you need to be really poor in this division and I don't think we are. We have quality but its just not consistent. 

I thought overall though tonight we played well, responded well to going behind and deserved more than a draw. We seem to be moving forward with more purpose and less tippy tippy sideways stuff.

But that’s our problem, not consistent enough , most of the draws this season we have been the better side and should have taken all three points , it’s for that reason why we’re gonna end up mid table again ,