IGNORED

Stoke City away match thread

Jerseybean

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

How many draws when we should have won this season… it’s costing us so dear. Gut wrenching at times.

Just said that to someone else , every draw we should have been the team to take the points , even Derby before they score we should have been out of sight - 2 unproven forwards is gonna cost us 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I missed the first 15 mins and what I saw was a good performance and could have won it. Was impressed by McCrorie in the first half, Skyes looked good coming in for Yu despite one bad miss control, Wells so happy for him becoming a great servant, thought Earthy looked great on the ball. Tables' not looking to shabby either.

Wow!

I just caught up on this thread and of course it was OTIB gold, with calls to sack the manager and glorifying Nige. 

Like a few games this season, we were the better side, but just lacked a tad more clinicalness or luck.

6 unbeaten and let's see if we can make it 7.

We're clearly not perfect, but we're clearly a good team, and it's actually entertaining. So let's enjoy it best we can.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

Am I allowed to say I quite like Ian Dowie on Sky with the commentator, much better than the usual sky pundits. Might just be me!!

Its not just you mate. I thought dowie did a great job summarising tonight. Havent heard much from him lately on the tv.

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Pick the bones out of that. Could have won it, could equally have completely caved in and got a hiding.

They're battling if nothing else.

Tbh 28 shots , 10 on target is a bit more than ‘battling if nothing else ‘ 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Like for like sub Wells for Armstrong was pointless.

Bird deeper was fine but he's been poor in the 10 second half, kept losing the ball.

Absolute basketball game and we really could have gone for the win tonight. 

Would have preferred Bird off and Sykes off earlier, let the game disappear a bit.

Armstrong has been dreadful, provides no link up. Passed it behind his teammate like 5 times and that offside from the counter with Earthy was shameful. 

We could have scored maybe 5 out of the 20+ attempts or whatever it was. Real lack of quality after the opener for them.

Their manager won't last playing like that, so open. We could have been done with that game with better game management. 

Take the point but feels like we've let the three drift away.

So no mention of the Stoke goalie’s performance then?  Other weeks we would have had at least one of them going in. With so much pressure and so many good attempts we weren’t “(going) for the win”? Sorry mate, but bloody hell, this is epic ‘analysis by result’ rather than what went on on the pitch

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Earthy has to start Saturday for mehmeti for me . His movement is quality . Links up with bird well who had a very good game as well 

Dare I say it, and I am a fan on the whole, but we look better without Twine.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

Anyone questioning Wells starting two games on the trot earlier in the thread…….. I give you Armstrong , him and McNally are looking like very poor business 

Along with Fally and Twine so far it looks like a lot of wasted money. 

7 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

Anyone questioning Wells starting two games on the trot earlier in the thread…….. I give you Armstrong , him and McNally are looking like very poor business 

I agree on Mcnally.. My post on him a couple of pages back has got some wild reactions 🤣

Maybe me saying 'woefully poor' was a bit harsh but he certainly hasn't settled in. Vyner's game seems to be suffering slightly as a result aswell. The return of Dickie can't come quick enough IMO.

Edited by Bris Red

17 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

Am I allowed to say I quite like Ian Dowie on Sky with the commentator, much better than the usual sky pundits. Might just be me!!

I thought the same actually. Anything is better though than listening to Andy Hinchliffe!

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I can’t see it @RedReg @Galley is our king @temp  2 losses in 11.  We are hard to beat.  3 points off play offs and 6 off bottom three.  Players have a spirit about them. We aren’t going down

Performances have worried me . The two 3-0’s we got battered & looked weak . The Cardiff performance was abysmal . Parts of Saturday was good & tonight was much better though. We need to produce more of what was on show tonight for me to be convinced we won’t be bottom third. We’ve got the players no doubt . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

And you are writing off Armstrong at your peril, he will come good he is young plenty of time.  Mc Nally was a shoe in due to injuries, try and see some positives eh?

But we should have bought a different type of striker than the two, a industrious little bugger.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, bcdc said:

So no mention of the Stoke goalie’s performance then?  Other weeks we would have had at least one of them going in. With so much pressure and so many good attempts we weren’t “(going) for the win”? Sorry mate, but bloody hell, this is epic ‘analysis by result’ rather than what went on on the pitch

He did play well, but the majority of the saves he made weren't world beaters.

The one from Earthy was a top save and the reflex jump up for Sykes was good but the quality of our strikes at goal weren't good at all. 

Making out like he was Gordon Banks, we scuffed and ballooned most of our attempts.

Knight had 2/3 chances wasted straight at Johansen. Bird had one from distance saved in the first half and wasted a few more over the bar.

He was actually poor for both our goals looking back, all at sea for a corner and one straight through him for the equaliser (maybe a little harsh).

If Max lets in that first goal he'd be getting pelters on here and we all know it. Johansen made a few good saves but he wasn't the reason we didn't win today, just my opinion - agree with it or not. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Its not just you mate. I thought dowie did a great job summarising tonight. Havent heard much from him lately on the tv.

He’s a good pundit and is very articulate.

Like you say he doesn’t seem to have been on much lately and there may be a good reason for that.

Sadly though it’s probably because Sky think clowns like Clinton Morrison are more entertaining.

• Like 1

at h-t I didn’t know what to say.  Still don’t know at f-t.

Great recovery and mark of the performance is I’m probably disappointed we didn’t win.  Played some lovely stuff, bomb scare at the back, but if you like that type of football, it was a beaut tonight.

Well done Nahki.

I thought Williams, bar his yellow, was fantastic second half.

That’s all I can muster.  Worn out! 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cotswoldred2 said:

And you are writing off Armstrong at your peril, he will come good he is young plenty of time.  Mc Nally was a shoe in due to injuries, try and see some positives eh?

But we should have bought a different type of striker than the two, a industrious little bugger.

If you can't control the ball and pass in the direction of movement at 21, you ain't at 27 either 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

How must Fally feel seeing that??

When we brought Armstrong on, we lost our edge.

I'd also be asking what's Fally not doing to get gametime?

I must say Wells' second half 👏 👏 👏.  Hope he's fit enough to start Sat. Really good interview on Radio Bristol as we speak.

Edited by Sleepy1968

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I can’t see it @RedReg @Galley is our king @temp  2 losses in 11.  We are hard to beat.  3 points off play offs and 6 off bottom three.  Players have a spirit about them. We aren’t going down

Your point about our spirit is the big one for me.

I wrote on some thread or other a couple of days ago that the character of our team is the biggest positive this season.

And yet again, we've shown that we won't let a setback get the better of us. That gives us as fans something to get behind.

3 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

The one from Earthy was a top save and the reflex jump up for Sykes was good but the quality of our strikes at goal weren't good at all. 

Making out like he was Gordon Banks, we scuffed and ballooned most of our attempts.

Knight had 2/3 chances wasted straight at Johansen. Bird had one from distance saved in the first half and wasted a few more over the bar.

He was actually poor for both our goals looking back, all at sea for a corner and one straight through him for the equaliser (maybe a little harsh).

If Max lets in that first goal he'd be getting pelters on here and we all know it. Johansen made a few good saves but he wasn't the reason we didn't win today, just my opinion - agree with it or not. 

“Bird had one from distance saved in the first half” 😂 What, like the one Gordon Banks fumbled round the post from Pele?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

The strike from Max Bird and the accompanying save in the first half were top drawer.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Misses the Dickie 

Adult Swim Simpsons GIF by shremps

IMO 100% nailed it here. It's not that McNally is bad, or has made repeated errors, but it feels like Dickie is a huge miss right now. It just feels so much more assured with him in the side, and Vyner looks better too.

Defensively top 4 last season, and looking very solid. This season it just looks calamitous at times.

3 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Plenty of positives tonight. But Sinclair Armstrong isn't one of them - he may indeed come good, personally I doubt it - but whatever, tonight was embarrassing. Willing but inept - can't really fathom why we bought him. Seems a League 2 player at the moment.

By contrast, McNally - decent player for me. All about building understandings and relationships.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

How many draws when we should have won this season… it’s costing us so dear. Gut wrenching at times.

Last season and the season before, I'd have bitten your hand off to be in the position where we're drawing games instead of losing them.

Edited by broodje

14 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

That Bird save!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Bird very good tonight as well. Always look like panic not far away at the back though. Need a steady head back there.

Did you notice that Bird is very lightweight. Gets pushed off the ball like he's Scott Twine. He needs to develop his core strength a bit (if that sounded like I knew what I was talking about, it's just a fluke.)

• Like 2

Just now, Red Exile said:

Plenty of positives tonight. But Sinclair Armstrong isn't one of them - he may indeed come good, personally I doubt it - but whatever, tonight was embarrassing. Willing but inept - can't really fathom why we bought him. Seems a League 2 player at the moment.

By contrast, McNally - decent player for me. All about building understandings and relationships.

For me Saturday was the perfect swap. Boro 2-0 chasing and taking chances, that meant space and he is perfect at chasing balls and holding the ball up, which is what he did. Tonight was almost the opposite . It was level and we were creating things around the box. I thought Fally would have been the one to keep the ball and finish any half chance. We shall never know . 

Armstrong chased one ball and held off the CB brilliantly , he needs to work on finishing but I think there is more to come from him. When he got in the first team my QPR mates loved him , we took a punt on potential , that means we may have to wait. 

McNally hmmmm . Thought I'd judged him too early as he'd started to improve lately . I think I'll leave it and give him some time. Vyner looks better along side a "Leader" maybe he's the same.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, redkev said:

Just said that to someone else , every draw we should have been the team to take the points , even Derby before they score we should have been out of sight - 2 unproven forwards is gonna cost us 

Exactly this. At the end of the transfer window, lt felt that we still needed a proven striker (& probably a decent keeper). The window probably sums us up under Lansdown's tenure. Go so far but not far enough. So frustrating. Who would've thought Wells would be our first choice no.9.

27 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Used to be a regular on 5 live but fell out of fashion a bit for the likes of Clinton Morrison et al. Shame really quite a thoughtful pundit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Post of the evening from the Stoke forum. 

******* lucky to be 2-0 at ht, ******* lucky to be 2-2 ft. That was ******* rottern scrotum sweat on a tramp, fast asleep on a moldy kebab at the bus stop thats been pissed on”. 

🤣

That forum is hilarious and puts our whingers to shame with their negativity, my favourite post was when one of their subs came on "with the urgency of a sloth"

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

at h-t I didn’t know what to say.  Still don’t know at f-t.

Great recovery and mark of the performance is I’m probably disappointed we didn’t win.  Played some lovely stuff, bomb scare at the back, but if you like that type of football, it was a beaut tonight.

Well done Nahki.

I thought Williams, bar his yellow, was fantastic second half.

That’s all I can muster.  Worn out! 😂

McNally & Mcrorie down our left scare me to death . Leeds will rip us to shreds Saturday (hope I’m wrong) how long until dickie is back or Atkinson 

58 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Must be in the air, five of tonight’s seven matches end all square.

Feels like Sky + commentary is like club TV for the other side most of our games 

edit replied to wrong post but feeling stays the same

Edited by Rossi the Robin
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

McNally has been a solid signing.  Who would we have played at LCB in the absence of Dickie.  Naismith?

It was a bitter/sweet game for me - bitter at being 2-0 down inside 15 mins and sweet to recover to earn a point. That said I was ultimately disappointed that we didn’t actually win having been pretty much all over them second half.

Pleased with 4 points from two away games - a decent return.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Did like how the Sky commentator made a big thing at full time of Stoke stretching their unbeaten run to 4 games, whilst completely ignoring that ours is now 6.

That'll be ex-premier league Stoke then? :grr:

• Like 2

First live game for me this season. It was great to bump into 2 people who went to all the away matches from the 80s and still do.

Great atmosphere from the Cider Army and we played really well once we'd gifted them a 2 goal start.

My only question is how many of you saw Yu walk off gingerly at the end of the game? 

I know he was kicked 30 feet into the air and still managed to get up. Hopefully, the medical team will be able to look after his right heel.

• Robin 2

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Did like how the Sky commentator made a big thing at full time of Stoke stretching their unbeaten run to 4 games, whilst completely ignoring that ours is now 6.

Yeah, they went through all their upcoming matches without mentioning any of ours. It was almost like a home commentary.

23 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

First live game for me this season. It was great to bump into 2 people who went to all the away matches from the 80s and still do.

Great atmosphere from the Cider Army and we played really well once we'd gifted them a 2 goal start.

My only question is how many of you saw Yu walk off gingerly at the end of the game? 

I know he was kicked 30 feet into the air and still managed to get up. Hopefully, the medical team will be able to look after his right heel.

Yes the impact of that disgraceful tackle on Yu is a worry. Hope he’s ok. 

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Did you notice that Bird is very lightweight. Gets pushed off the ball like he's Scott Twine. He needs to develop his core strength a bit (if that sounded like I knew what I was talking about, it's just a fluke.)

Playing back to goal as a 10 is a completely different ball-game to playing as a 6 facing forward.  For me, he was in and out tonight, some good bits, some poor bits.  Think he could do with a goal.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

I do wonder if we get a fair crack from officiating over a season the same protection etc? Okay we got 7 Pens in 31 Games last season which was remarkable and minimum of one red card in our favour.. soon after NP left Bannan was off and next Home game a Penalty!

Still though I look a few games this year and lot in the 2-3 years before and I question things.

Yes I know a lot of it is generally pisspoor officiating but you'd expect some of this to fall your way, no?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep. Feels like we still haven't worked out our best starting XI.

Squad game blah blah. We really need to be picking our best players more often.

Hirakawa on the bench? Deary me.

I would have said that however Sykes had a very good game and is a slightly different player in that he's better a running directly at a defence whereas Yu is a far more of a tricky winger.

On the other hand Earthy coming on for Mehmeti did ask all sorts of questions as on Earthy and McCrorie played much better together with one going outside and the other going inside. I'd certainly be looking at Earthy starting against Leeds. Based on what I've seen of Earthy in his little cameos we could, and perhaps should have, saved ourselves £4.5m in the summer.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, mozo said:

Wow!

I just caught up on this thread and of course it was OTIB gold, with calls to sack the manager and glorifying Nige. 

Like a few games this season, we were the better side, but just lacked a tad more clinicalness or luck.

6 unbeaten and let's see if we can make it 7.

We're clearly not perfect, but we're clearly a good team, and it's actually entertaining. So let's enjoy it best we can.

Across the hundreds of posts, how many were actually “glorifying Nige”? I think you are a bit obsessed. 

• Like 4