IGNORED

Stoke City away match thread

Jerseybean

17 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Appreciate his honesty but I think when it comes to playing a side like Boro (especially away) a little realism is needed that we won't be able to play our normal style (whatever that is) 

There is no point spending all week training for a possession based plan when it's highly unlikely we'll have much possession in games like that. 

But if we, ourselves, are a high possession side (top 6 possession before Saturday), why aren’t we making Swansea or Boro drop their possession levels too.

They kept their 55-65%, ours dropped by 25%.

We should be trying to make Swansea and Boro change, not “accepting” it’s us that has to change.  There’s no way we should be setting ourselves up to be a team that controls possession, but then have to concede to using a different style against a similarly-styled team.

Thats my theoretical answer.

My slightly more analytical answer is that the reason our possession is high this season, is that generally opponents are happy for us to have the ball.  We are stat-padding possession in effect. Therefore we look like a high(er) possession side than we are really capable of…hence what we’ve seen against Boro and Swansea.  And that takes you back to whether the style trying to be implemented is right or flawed.  It also shows me that we aren’t about to click…not from a style point of view….maybe results might click, who knows.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But if we, ourselves, are a high possession side (top 6 possession before Saturday), why aren’t we making Swansea or Boro drop their possession levels too.

They kept their 55-65%, ours dropped by 25%.

We should be trying to make Swansea and Boro change, not “accepting” it’s us that has to change.  There’s no way we should be setting ourselves up to be a team that controls possession, but then have to concede to using a different style against a similarly-styled team.

Thats my theoretical answer.

My slightly more analytical answer is that the reason our possession is high this season, is that generally opponents are happy for us to have the ball.  We are stat-padding possession in effect. Therefore we look like a high(er) possession side than we are really capable of…hence what we’ve seen against Boro and Swansea.  And that takes you back to whether the style trying to be implemented is right or flawed.  It also shows me that we aren’t about to click…not from a style point of view….maybe results might click, who knows.

I totally agree that there are questions as to why we can't impose our game on other teams. I think it was the plan to get Boro to drop their possession however I think we just lack the quality to do so and there needs to be so realism about that. 

I don't feel as if we have an identity. 

I'm a firm believer in playing to your strengths and I don't think we do that. I think ultimately it comes back to not having the required players (despite investment) to play the style the management want to play. 

I think you're correct, other teams allow us to have the ball because I think they know we struggle to do anything with it. Can we really claim that to be our identity?

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I really don't know what to expect , but I do fear the worst . Great win Saturday , but you can't always rely on teams missing chances and us being so strong in a rear guard action.  
Just been looking at some stats and I'm more confused. 

We have won more head to head 👍
We are away 👎
We have scored more goals than Stoke this season 👍 and 6 of those Stoke goals came in one game.
We have conceded one more 👎 but 6 of those came in 2 games 
We are higher in the table 👍
We lose they go above us 👎
They have lost half of their League games 👍 won 2 and lost 2 at home.

Looks like they might have some injury doubts and the Manager said they may either play the same team or make 6 changes , helpful .
For us , 3 games in a week suggests we may rotate , but I'm not sure we will .  Sykes is available but no one else who wasn't Saturday . Only leaves genuine options up front , but I think Wells & Armstrong worked well. McGuane could come in , but I'm not convinced the 8 minutes V Boro is enough to start him over Bird or Williams. 

My guess , and I'm often wrong , is we start with the same XI . Earthy might be near a start , but Knight was so good in that role I can't see him being moved or rested. 

9 in 3 if you include Millwall. Only 5 goals conceded from the other 7 games - which is respectable. (I know I'm being selective with the stats!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Incorrect, Robins TV applies to people connecting their PC to a server living outside the UK...

OK, point well made but incorrect as it is for those connecting their PC outside of the UK and Ireland!

This could end up being like a Monty Python sketch.

I have no doubt though that when the suited brigade from Wembley sold their soul to Sky, they forgot that people might be using VPN Airways. 

This has been an issue for me even though it certainly is not illegal to 'fly' to another country to watch the City.

I wonder what wording the FA and Sky use? I would hazard a guess that they say living/visiting outside the UK....and Ireland (if being 100% accurate).

Anyway, I hope we have answered the poster's question correctly.

5 minutes ago, supercidered said:

His mate Peter Thorne was a proper c@nt as well.

To compound my dislike for them, I think they both turned up to play for Cardiff sometime after Stoke. I may be wrong on that though!

Ex-Swindle too…don’t get more proper than that!

The only thing we got on target at Stoke last season was some poor buggers shoe hitting the path in front of the away end and the steward didn't throw it back for a while.

Good away day, big away following, some Stokie got a slap in the pub for wearing a rovers hat, great fancy dress, shite game! 

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

can someone enlighten me here, i didnt know how to shag a carrot but i dont know how to shag a parsnip either. am i missing something incredibly daft here?

I've been told it can be a bit dicey.

• Haha 2

An ex Stoke player with City connections is Denis Smith who managed City in 92-93. He made some great signing such as Any Cole, Jacki Dziekanowski and Leroy Rosenior and perhaps a not so good signing in Ray Atteveld. I thought he was doing a good job but, from what I remember, he fell out with the directors (sounds familiar) and was sacked

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

An ex Stoke player with City connections is Denis Smith who managed City in 92-93. He made some great signing such as Any Cole, Jacki Dziekanowski and Leroy Rosenior and perhaps a not so good signing in Ray Atteveld. I thought he was doing a good job but, from what I remember, he fell out with the directors (sounds familiar) and was sacked

Lumsden signed Dziekanowski.

Denis Smith signed Brian Mitchell & Dave Thompson, that might give you a big clue as to why he was sacked.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Lumsden signed Dziekanowski.

Denis Smith signed Brian Mitchell & Dave Thompson, that might give you a big clue as to why he was sacked.

True, but Any Cole  balanced Mitchell and Thompson 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, harrymoorman said:

This did make me laugh on the Stoke forum just now:

image.thumb.png.f998b148f9bf4e5f79ab6402f2816f94.png

Haha yeah well we are pretty boring in the grand scheme of things aren’t we so you could say that’s a good comment to make. He compared us to having a bridge? So if he is comparing the city of Bristol itself compared to Stoke then they are like a league 2 minnow and us a top six prem team 🤪.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, PortInTheMorning said:

Drops Yu?? Strange one...3 games in a week but still

3 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Don’t really get dropping Yu - unless we are spreading the load with Leeds on Saturday 

I don’t think we can moan about injuries AND moan when a player is rested to help prevent an injury 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

They’re all going to play childish games until only one is left?

Fair enough, I thought it was cause Yu came off with cramp.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

Is that the macabre Japanese game show?

Silly hostages sausages

Always  play your strongest  available  fit side if that's it OK,just hope he ain't resting  players for the leeds game ,more chance  of points tonight  than against Leeds where we normally  get nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Don’t really get dropping Yu - unless we are spreading the load with Leeds on Saturday 

Maybe Hogg feels he can't do it on a rainy night away to Stoke ! 😀

I thought he would start again especially after scoring at Boro.

2 minutes ago, 95red said:

Always  play your strongest  available  fit side if that's it OK,just hope he ain't resting  players for the leeds game ,more chance  of points tonight  than against Leeds where we normally  get nothing. 

Having listened to Manning, he doesn’t believe in looking beyond the upcoming game.  Pick the best team, play the game, then focus on Leeds.

Do I doubt Hogg is thinking of Leeds, purely that he think Sykes is the better / fitter option to start tonight.  Hirakawa cramped up Saturday.

I'm baffled by the starting line up. 

34 year old Wells being flogged twice in one week uptop on his own.

max bird playing put of position when we have george earthy chomping at the bit to play in the number 10 role.

no mayulu again ??

And why the hell has he dropped our most influential and in form player hirkawa for mark bloody sykes ! Yu is fresh off the back of scoring aswell.

poor lineup.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Having listened to Manning, he doesn’t believe in looking beyond the upcoming game.  Pick the best team, play the game, then focus on Leeds.

Do I doubt Hogg is thinking of Leeds, purely that he think Sykes is the better / fitter option to start tonight.  Hirakawa cramped up Saturday.

I can see it now. Yu being subbed on when we're 2-0 down at half time 

• Flames 1

35 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

They’re all going to play childish games until only one is left?

Fair enough, I thought it was cause Yu came off with cramp.

35 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Is that the macabre Japanese game show?

EDIT:  @Silvio Dante beat me to it. 

Don’t wanna be THAT guy but Squid Game is Korean…

8 minutes ago, keflav said:

What the actual f, fally must of shit on the managers desk or something as it's ludicrous he don't start.... And Sykes FFS understand giving yu a bit of a break but get him on asap...

Basically same team though tbf except freshening up Yu for Saturday?

30 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

I'm baffled by the starting line up. 

34 year old Wells being flogged twice in one week uptop on his own.

max bird playing put of position when we have george earthy chomping at the bit to play in the number 10 role.

no mayulu again ??

And why the hell has he dropped our most influential and in form player hirkawa for mark bloody sykes ! Yu is fresh off the back of scoring aswell.

poor lineup.

Wells only played an hour on Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

Who are Stoke again? ….:yawn:

A north Midlands shit hole that is much smaller and much worse than the mighty and salubrious city of Bristol. During the rugby commentary on Saturday, Bristol was described as 'glorious', Stoke has Burslem which looks utterly war torn.

• Like 2

Re Stoke - Wilmot a CB at RB will be interesting if Mehmeti can get at him.

I like Boca, their LB....athletic, likes to get forward.

Moran in CM is attacking choice alongside the hardworking Thompson.

McCrorie will need to be careful showing Manhoef inside onto his left foot, although will be showing him onto his own stronger side.

• Thanks 1