IGNORED

Stoke City away match thread

Jerseybean

4 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

And to think Nige and his coaching team had us so solid defensively towards the end of his tenure...

Shhhhh!! Don't mention the N word. You'll start the happy clappers off again, saying how far we've come

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, Ivorguy said:

That sounds very much like ‘We are too good to go down

We won’t go down championship is our level mate & that’s it. Would love to proven wrong but can’t see it. We sell our best players 

We find ourself in this position 2-0 for such a lacklustre start right from the off  , 

we are much the better side , McNally should be embarrassed watching that little hoppy jump he attempted to try to cut out the cross - ffs were at Stoke away you know you got to be on your toes the first 10 mins 

Sick to death of this nice old Bristol city tag - to soft a club From top to bottom 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

We have real quality in our midfield now but a league 1 defence and league 1  attack unfortunately. We’ve created countless chances and converted nothing whereas we concede twice at the other end from 3 shots on target ! 

Do we? I don’t think Williams, Knight and Bird do enough in possession personally. Neat and tidy at times, scruffy at others. Nothing desicive.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Look at the chances Stoke create. On the ground, more through the middle, passing to feet, leading to better quality opportunities. 

We may have possession, but we aren't creating good chances, they are punts. Hence so many missed, or poorly executed. 

It's obvious to see. 

I think the chances we've created have been fine and some were just as good quality. Stoke's second was a terrible scuffed shot that happened to land at someone's feet in the 6 yard box ffs.

The issue is we're not getting them on target/putting them away.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

What a strange half. Awful start but we basically could and should still be winning. 
When we did ever have 18 shots away from home, let alone in one half?!

Awful at the back and not clinical upfront is the basic reasoning for this. 
Such a shame we lack so much quality. 

Edited by nickolas
  • Like 2

Tonight’s the night for two strikers on the pitch at the same time in the second half. Go for it. I’d bring Armstrong on for Williams (as he’s one away from a suspension and more defensive). 
Earthy to get significant time in the second half too. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, tin said:

I’m one of those and wholeheartedly agree with you. I genuinely doubt I’ll ever see us in the PL in my lifetime. 

Yep.  Me too.  It’s spot on unfortunately.  We have lived a life or purgatory! 

Last time we had 18 shots in a half? Equally, if you miss chances and give away poor goals, this is the result. Reverse of first half if Saturday in a lot of ways.

May end up losing 4-0 again, but got to be hope that if we can finish one, we can finish more!

Looked ok in attack (albeit we can't score today) and creating quite a few chances, but defensive mistakes cost us again. 

Got to keep going in the 2nd half.

Could be the story of our season though couldn't it - struggle to score goals, too easy to let them in.

Typical frustrating City performance. Two pieces of awful defending have cost us 2 goals but otherwise we've dominated. We have the edge in midfield and have forced corner after corner. Johanssen pulled off a wonderful save from Bird and Knight, Vyner, McCrorie and Sykes have all had opportunities. Wells movement has caused them lots of problems. 

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

What a strange half. Awful start but we basically could and should still be winning. 
When we did ever have 18 shots away from home, let alone in one half?!

Awful at the back and not clinical upfront is the basic reasoning for this. 
Such a shame we lack so much quality. 

Any club that sells its best players will lack quality. This football club is going backwards and has been for a while.

• Thanks 1

Well. 

First off we’ve missed Twine (not really, just lightening the mood)

Those who say this is the polar opposite of Boro are missing the mark. Boro never looked like breaking through. We do, they look far ropier at the back and we could have had a couple already.

Unfortunately we look godawful at the rear. The first goal phase of play stems from not picking up a runner in behind (Vyner should hand to McNally but he should be aware) and the second is an awful ball by Knight but again not great from McNally. He’s not totally at fault for either but he’s a factor in each.

It’s decent going forward. I think they’ve let us and relaxed a bit too much and I’d expect them to tighten at HT. Gut is the chance may be gone, and I can see a third on the break.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

So many short easy passes misplaced , breaks down so often from simple passes mishit .

If we could score quickly you never know , but we need to stay alert at the back they are still creating things. 

Thought we were really good going forward, slow to get started, poor defensively. The opposite of halftime at Middlesbrough - in that game, other than the two goals didn't really enjoy it and didn't think we were great. In this one, other than the two goals, enjoyed it and thought we deserved a goal, lots of chances. 

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I think the chances we've created have been fine and some were just as good quality. Stoke's second was a terrible scuffed shot that happened to land at someone's feet in the 6 yard box ffs.

The issue is we're not getting them on target/putting them away.

We can agree to disagree mate. Imo...they aren't quality chances, and that's why we aren't creating good scoring opportunities. 

Very poor decision making in the final third. 

We made a good chance towards the end, but Mehmeti chose to go wide and cross, rather than inside. 

You can make ' chances ' all day long...but if they aren't quality it's pointless. 

• Flames 1

Just now, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Mayulu, Armstrong and Hu on and have a go, they're not that good at the back 

Why oh why are we not playing Mayulu, he's light years better than this standard, he's all instinct and his speed of thought is why ahead of this division 

They won’t do that mate 

Seriously why are we so inconsistent? After a great result and decent performance on Saturday I was hoping for us to come out full of confidence and impose our game on them. We seem to believe that one good game gives us a divine right to get 3 points in the next one, instead of fighting from minute one to get a result. So casual and so frustrating. We never learn. I don’t really care that we have improved during the game and created chances. We are 2-0 down to Stoke.

3 hours ago, Gazred said:

You are never allowed to mention him by name Graham, it's bad luck. It's like "the Scottish play" for Macbeth.

You'll need to make amends now...

image.gif.8a1353708d5b601394884a8e0c27f648.gif

I actually thought Thompson was even worse.

1 minute ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Mayulu, Armstrong and Hu on and have a go, they're not that good at the back 

Why oh why are we not playing Mayulu, he's light years better than this standard, he's all instinct and his speed of thought is why ahead of this division 

Agree with this, take off Wells, Skyes and Mehmeti, who only Wells has looked any good and in the game