IGNORED

Stoke City away match thread

Jerseybean

1st half summary:

Really don't know how to describe that!

Basketball?

Gung-ho?

Help!!!

Can only hope we take a chance second half and it will be game-on.

Tactically, our front-6 are completely detached from our back-4, Centre-Backs especially.  Its ok when we are trying to press, but when Stoke do find a player in between the lines we are looking like conceding.

We've played some slick stuff too, but you feel at 2-0 down its slightly irrelevant.

+++++

I need a cider!

• Like 1

Don't understand why Mehmeti is playing. He had his 1 in 10 good game on the weekend! Back to normal now. 

So lackluster at the back. Really soft, physically lacking. 

The only way we get back in to this game is to sub our two wingers and hope Yu and Twine can at least hit the target! 

Edited by LSN

14 minutes ago, One Team said:

Bit like the Boro game but reversed. 

Agreed. Not the usual boring Manningball TBF.

Differences being….

1 Stoke took the early chances they created whereas Boro didn't

2 Rather than being 2 up at HT we are 2 down

Certainly not a boring half there’s only one stat that matters, the scoreline, but we are winning 10-1 on corners and 18- 5 on shots although only 4 of ours have been on target while their 5 have all been.

Think if it had been 0-0 the ref would have given them a pen when after 22 mins it hit GT on the arm.

Remember last season at our place v them we were 2 up and lost 3-2…..just saying. 

While it's encouraging to see us respond after going 2-0 down with a noticeable reaction. I don't believe we'd be playing with this same intensity if the score were still 0-0.

Stoke have noticeably taken their foot off the gas since going ahead, allowing us more space and opportunities. It's great to see us giving it a go, but the question remains: why aren't we playing like this from the start? We can't rely on falling behind to kick into gear.

• Like 1

Caught us cold a few times, so far off the second ball.

Yeah we've had a load of attempts but barely troubled the keeper bar one or two shots.

They're leaving loads of space and we can actually play through them if sodding Williams and Knight move it quicker instead of taking five touches. Drives me insane.

They're getting the ball forward quickly and the ball in behind McNally is gunna kill the game. Cannon is running off Vyner in behind McNally and the gaps appear for the midfield runners from there. All at sea and panic stations when they come forward. 

There has been a fair amount of Stoke fans not enjoying the new managers style (the modern style like us) and there's a big chance to get the home fans apprehensive.

Games not over yet but I don't trust this coaching staff and team to get it right after half time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Why oh why are we not playing Mayulu, he's light years better than this standard, he's all instinct and his speed of thought is why ahead of this division 

Because he can't trigger a press, come on keep up. Knight is great at that apparently. The fact he can't pass, shoot or get out of Sykes way when he had a good chance is neither here nor there. In modern football natural finishers only belong on the bench apparently.

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

And we seem to have little goal threat bar a cracking effort by Bird.

Vyner hitting the post, brilliant block by Rose to stop a certain goal. Good save by Johansson from Wells.

But apart from that..

• Like 2

Less annoyed about the finishing than the passing tbh. Their keepers made a couple of very good saves and they’ve had some good blocks as well. 

But the passing oh my days. Especially that one from knight to put sykes one on one. No pressure on him and had time, yet he smacks it way to hard straight to the goalie. Consistent poor passing/lack of focus when passing costa us both going forward and defensively. 

Been like that for a fking age as well.

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well. 

First off we’ve missed Twine (not really, just lightening the mood)

Those who say this is the polar opposite of Boro are missing the mark. Boro never looked like breaking through. We do, they look far ropier at the back and we could have had a couple already.

Unfortunately we look godawful at the rear. The first goal phase of play stems from not picking up a runner in behind (Vyner should hand to McNally but he should be aware) and the second is an awful ball by Knight but again not great from McNally. He’s not totally at fault for either but he’s a factor in each.

It’s decent going forward. I think they’ve let us and relaxed a bit too much and I’d expect them to tighten at HT. Gut is the chance may be gone, and I can see a third on the break.

Twine would most definitely have been able to play a simple forward pass to put Sykes in one on one that’s for sure!! 

I think Hogg may switch something early, not sure which way he'll go though.

I'd like to see Mayulu on up front and Wells just off.  Have to get some quality possession in and around the box , long shots mean nothing unless they're those rare top corner ones and 4 OT out of 18 shows a lot. 

It's OK because we have one of the best young attacking midfielders in the Premier League on the bench. We're just lulling them into a false sense security. 

I don't know if Earthy still isn’t quite fit but he's got to be better than Mehmeti

Edited by harvey54

6 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

Honestly not sure why I'm asking this but does anyone have a working stream? Barely been able to watch any of the first half, fawa/sport 10/Reddit soccer live app all not functioning properly 

Anyone 🤣

Just now, GrahamC said:

Vyner hitting the post, brilliant block by Rose to stop a certain goal. Good save by Johansson from Wells.

But apart from that..

13 other efforts and 10 corners! But apart from that...