IGNORED

The definitive City match for every scoreline

cellist

In a recent episode of Football Cliches podcast (you can listen here), the panel attempted to decide on the most iconic match for each score line. Eg. If I were to refer to “the 5-1”, what game would you think of? (The correct answer being Germany 1-5 England, 2001!)

Thought it might be fun to have a go at this for City. Here is my list of memorable/defining games for each score line.

It’s affected by recency bias - my first game was the last day of the 1998/99 season, so games referred to before that date are from stories I can remember my Dad telling me. I’ve also got a few blanks. Rather depressingly, towards the bottom of the list you’ll see we seem to take more pastings than we dish out.

Comments/suggestions for a defining list welcome! Help me fill in the blanks: there are bound to be some memorable first division ones I’ve missed (and some not so memorable ones as we slid down through the divisions)

0-0  – Can you have an iconic 0-0? We did get a good 0-0 at Newcastle under GJ, and a good 0-0 at then premier league Portsmouth in the FA cup one year. But maybe more appropriately, we drew 0-0 9x under Pulis in 1999-2000.

1-0  – Portsmouth (H) 1976, promotion to the Old First division

A few other contenders: Liverpool (A) FA Cup 1994, 1-0 against the Gas in 1991 (Louie Donowa). 1-0 at Leeds in the FA Cup 1974.

0-1 v Brighton in the play-off final 2004, or 0-1 v Hull in the play-off final 2008 stick in the mind for other reasons.

1-1 – Sunderland (A) 1998 – absolutely battered, but a Soren Anderson screamer earned us a point. A classic “backs to the wall” job.

2-0 – We beat Carlisle 2-0 in the LDV Vans Trophy Final in 2003, and Walsall 2-0 in the JPT in 2015. I also recall a really good 2-0 win at Coventry in the FA Cup in our promotion season under GJ that seemed to really sum up that team.

2-1 – Man Utd (h) league cup, 2017

Honourable mention: Hartlepool (h) play off semi-final 2004, coming from behind in stoppage time makes for a good 2-1. For different reasons, losing 2-1 to Wolves in stoppage time having been ahead always felt to me like the moment the wheels started to come off. We got battered at Villa a few days later and didn’t win again until the end of January. I think we only won 3 or 4 more all season. Losing at Wolves under SO’D also sticks in my mind.

2-2 – Coventry (A) 1977

3-0 – Swindon (H) in 2015 after they’d won the league back in November…

We also beat Bolton 3-0 in the Freight Rover Trophy 1986

3-1 – Rotherham (h) to clinch promotion in 2007. And of course, it’s not long since we beat Southampton by this very same score…

3-2 – Bristol Rovers (H) in December 2000 on a Friday night. 1-0 down after 28 seconds but Beadle came on to save the day.

3-3 – Sunderland (H) in 2018 – having been 3-0 up. Summed up the season in how we threw away a good position at the half-way point!

4-0 – ?

Nothing jumped out to me. A few end of season ones – we got battered by tonight’s opponents Stoke at the end of last season – with our players on the beach. Feels quite representative of recent seasons, having nothing to play for on the final day. We also beat Huddersfield 4-0 near the end of the season in 2016 with Tomlin scoring that brilliant goal that made us call for him to be signed permanently. That went well.

4-1 – ?

4-2 – Gillingham (A) 2015 in the JPT. 4 goals from the awful Matt Smith. (Also 4-2 was the aggregate score we beat Palace in 2008 - 2-1 home and away).

4-3 – ?

4-4 – ?

5-0 – Notts County (H) opening day of the season on a hot day in 2003. Such optimism…

5-1 – ?

5-2 – ?

5-3 – Apparently we beat Barnsley 5-3 in 2010. For some reason all I can remember is John Akinde almost scoring an absolute worldie.

5-4 – Mansfield (A) in a bonkers comeback in 2002.

We lost 5-4 at Coventry (A) in their first ‘home’ game at Sixfields – notable as we came from 3-0 down, and still managed to lose. Callum Wilson scored for them, and Liam Fontaine had a ‘mare.

5-5 – Hull (H) final day of the season 2018.

6-0 – Bradford (A) to clinch promotion under Cotts in 2015

6-1 – Battered 6-1 at home by Wolves in 1999 – featuring the fight between the big bad wolf and the three little pigs.

6-2 – Cambridge (H) – New Years Day 2001 (Danny Wilson’s birthday). Thorpe hatrick, 2 for Murray, and a Tinnion volley from outside the box after their keeper was sent off for handball.

7-1 – Swansea (A) 2005 with our esteemed Tecknical Director in charge.

8-2 – Walsall (H) final day under Cotts in 2015

The higher you get, the more batterings we seem to have taken. 0-6 at Watford 2021, 0-6 home to Cardiff 2010, 0-6 at Ipswich 2008, and quite a few spankings in the first division 1998/99 – 5-0 at Bradford and 6-1 at home to Wolves in consecutive games.

20 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Didn't we have a 7-0 at home to the Gas, way back in the Gloucester Cup. The memorable day when Chris Garland rounded the keeper and got down on hands and knees to head in on the line.

Ended 6-1 I think, in the Anglo Scottish Cup. 
Remember a 4-4 fa cup tie at the Gate with Wrexham about 75/76. Lost the replay 3-0!

• Robin 1

For the 4-1, I’d go for City vs Derby from I think 17/18. We were 1-0 down at half time but the atmosphere around the ground was just of surety we’d win. Second half spanked in 4 with Leko turning into Pele.

0-0 I think I recall a Swansea home game 19/20 - just a very good game of football.

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

2-5

Stoke City away 2024 

Lost 5-2 at Watford when we had three sent off.

I wouldn’t say Andy Cole was too good for us, but he scored both & pretty sure he got his second when we were down to nine men.

5 hours ago, hsworgan77 said:

Always remember beating the Gas at Eastville in the FA Cup in 1983 I think it was, 1 nil down to come back with goals from Tom Ritchie and I think a young Martin Hurst, great atmosphere,

Yep, certainly my favourite 1-2. 

5-3

We beat Orient at home after being 0-2 and 1-3 down. Oct 1971.

4-1 

A Chris Crowe masterclass against Preston. We needed a win to secure ourselves against relegation. April 1968.

Edited by Port Said Red
Confirmed my own facts. :)