IGNORED

Nakhi Wells

GrahamC

Remember Nige saying something like he has good genes and it's so true. His physical condition is excellent for his age. Gives him a platform to keep doing what he does as this level.

Intelligent player as well.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Said it at the weekend, bloke is class.

Brilliant pro & excellent finisher, lucky to have him.

Delighted for him tonight.

He’s got to start on Saturday if his legs are able. The likes of Bird and Knight were getting a lot of joy that came from Wells lay offs.

• Like 5

Just now, Lew-T said:

He’s got to start on Saturday if his legs are able. The likes of Bird and Knight were getting a lot of joy that came from Wells lay offs.

He’s a country mile better than Armstrong & if Mayulu is behind him, it’s a no brainer.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Said it at the weekend, bloke is class.

Brilliant pro & excellent finisher, lucky to have him.

Delighted for him tonight.

Agreed Graham. Said in the match thread class is always permanent and my word is he in form right now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, One Team said:

Agreed Graham. Said in the match thread class is always permanent and my word is he in form right now. 

Only bloke I’m confident will score when in on goal, too.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Only bloke I’m confident will score when in on goal, too.

There was a recent thread in which I commented (and I think you agreed) that I have a lot of respect for Nahki, believe he still has something to offer the team and would have had more game time this season if it were up to me, so I’m feeling thoroughly vindicated this evening, if not downright smug. 

But more important than congratulating myself, big shout out to Hogg for having the balls to do something unexpected and start him at Boro. Spot on and delighted for both player and coach that it came off. Keep him in the starting lineup for Saturday, please. His experience will be invaluable.

• Like 12
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Wouldn’t go that far. Probably won’t see him on the scoresheet again for 5 or 6 games.

Came good tonight though.

This is always the concern for me when it comes to Wells. His goal scoring record whilst decent for us over the last 4 years, he still does have a habit of going completely anonymous for games at a time.

He was excellent tonight though, hopefully he can hit a bit of consistent form now going forward. Without doubt the best finisher we have at the club, we needed another in the summer but they don't come cheap at this level do they unfortunately..

19 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Wouldn’t go that far. Probably won’t see him on the scoresheet again for 5 or 6 games.

Came good tonight though.

Thanks for reining in my foolish optimism. I've had a cracking night, enjoying an entertaining game of football, but you've reminded me there's no place for that kind of positivity when you're a Bristol City supporter. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

The hat trick for his country seems to have given him back that extra spark

In which case, we'll done the management team for putting the confident striker in the line up!

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

The hat trick for his country seems to have given him back that extra spark

Disagree. I think it’s just his ability and experience. 

Always appreciated Wells and what he does. Knows how to affect games, even off the ball.

A real pro.

30 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Always appreciated Wells and what he does. Knows how to affect games, even off the ball.

A real pro.

His last 2 years or so, have probably been the best of his stint here.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

His last 2 years or so, have probably been the best of his stint here.

I don’t want to go over old ground, but it would have been interesting were Tommy Conway to have stayed, if only to see whether they were able to rekindle their partnership.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I don’t want to go over old ground, but it would have been interesting were Tommy Conway to have stayed, if only to see whether they were able to rekindle their partnership.

I think it was that partnership firstly in the u21s, then pre-season summer 2022 that has changed Nahki’s time here.  Because until then he was not the player I’d hoped we’d signed.  Over 4.5 seasons here, he’s probably been decent value overall.  At one point it looked miles off being the case.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think it was that partnership firstly in the u21s, then pre-season summer 2022 that has changed Nahki’s time here.  Because until then he was not the player I’d hoped we’d signed.  Over 4.5 seasons here, he’s probably been decent value overall.  At one point it looked miles off being the case.

Totally agree.

He's turned out to be a good buy for the wrong reasons.  Wasn't the player we needed to push on under LJ & we overpaid.  Happy to admit i was wrong about him & he's the consummate pro & clearly very influential with the younger elements of the squad.

Not 100% sure starting him on Sat is the best move due to overplaying him, but bearing in mind he's just scored 2, Sincs had a nightmare cameo & I'm more likely to get used than  Fally, I think he starts!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

A real pro.

Oh I agree, always been a fan.

I just think, like all strikers, that hattrick did his confidence in front of goal no harm at all. 

I have always liked him , great pro and should have played more games, and more games centrally and not wide to fit him in. 
When he signed I was against it , it was another signing to please Lee Johnson who wanted that marquee signing and seemed to want to sign anyone expensive. For me at that time he was too old and not what we wanted , definitely no resale value . He has turned out to be a good servant and was also the making of Tommy Conway . 
For me he has earned an extended run as CF , the other 2 will learn from him. Plus he speaks really well, good interview post match ( worth catching up with ) . I liked how he said he was sure he'd get a hat trick if he stayed on, then followed with he was cramping so thought he might go off. Be nice if he got the winner Cs Leeds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Totally agree.

He's turned out to be a good buy for the wrong reasons.  Wasn't the player we needed to push on under LJ & we overpaid.  Happy to admit i was wrong about him & he's the consummate pro & clearly very influential with the younger elements of the squad.

Not 100% sure starting him on Sat is the best move due to overplaying him, but bearing in mind he's just scored 2, Sincs had a nightmare cameo & I'm more likely to get used than  Fally, I think he starts!

If you listen to how Wells was talking in his bbc rb interview post game, I think he'll be very disappointed not to be starting Saturday if fit.

I think one of the reasons Nige liked him so much was his attitude.  He has been good in and around the younger players and let's face it the only person capable of improving the conversation rate of the other forwards at the club.  None of our current coaching setup played as forwards.

I've got to be honest, I wouldn't have picked him last night, and wasn't particularly impressed by him v Boro. I'm happy to be wrong though because he did what we needed and got on the end of chances. It's his shirt to lose now.

Edited by mozo

His attitude on the pitch and as many have said in house off the pitch, is terrific. Really good asset to have and will guarentee goals at this level. Will also be a good mentor for Armstrong and Fally I’m sure. Maybe we over spent on him but I’m glad we signed him in the end and kept him for this long

12 hours ago, Bris Red said:

This is always the concern for me when it comes to Wells. His goal scoring record whilst decent for us over the last 4 years, he still does have a habit of going completely anonymous for games at a time.

He was excellent tonight though, hopefully he can hit a bit of consistent form now going forward. Without doubt the best finisher we have at the club, we needed another in the summer but they don't come cheap at this level do they unfortunately..

I'd say this is very harsh.  He may not go on scoring runs, but to say he's completely anonymous is so far from the truth Trump might use it in his campaign speeches! 

When not scoring he's pulling defenders out of position all over the pitch.  The issue here is that because he doesn't go on scoring runs, he's probably most effective in a 2, which the current management team doesn't play.  That said, as someone else mentioned, his workrate and (football) intelligence brought the likes of Bird and Knight into the game last night.

For me he's far more of a leader on the pitch that Jason Knight and should be wearing the armband.