IGNORED

Selection Dilemma - Leeds Home

HengroveReds

Hoggy has got a big task on his hand selecting a team for Saturday. Based mine on Williams Suspended, Sykes defensive work against a forward thinking Leeds. 

Who would you go for? Hears mine:

Oleary

Tanner McNally Vyner McCrorie

Bird Knight

Sykes Earthy Yu

Wells

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That would be shoehoening.

Dickie, Atkinson. ❌

Pring or Roberts.  ❌

Naismith maybe but you would have one if not two of the back 5 in unnatural positions. Or Yu or Sykes at Wingback.

Assume you know what ‘if’ means 

8 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Hoggy has got a big task on his hand selecting a team for Saturday. Based mine on Williams Suspended, Sykes defensive work against a forward thinking Leeds. 

Who would you go for? Hears mine:

Oleary

Tanner McNally Vyner McCrorie

Bird Knight

Sykes Earthy Yu

Wells

O’Leary

Tanner

Vyner

McNally

McCrorie

Knight

Bird

Sykes

Earthy

Mehmeti

Wells

Harsh on Yu but Sykes was outstanding last night and would give the balance for that game. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us go like for like and throw McGuane in the deep end to continue to use Bird in the 10

I’d be tempted to go for a more physical presence up front as their keeper doesn’t like it up him.. I also hope bird etc will be encouraged to shoot on site too. Armstrong for wells maybe not ideal for overall style and the link wells has created last two games. But can nahki start 3 games in 7 days?

6 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I’d be tempted to go for a more physical presence up front as their keeper doesn’t like it up him.. I also hope bird etc will be encouraged to shoot on site too. Armstrong for wells maybe not ideal for overall style and the link wells has created last two games. But can nahki start 3 games in 7 days?

On last night’s evidence I would start Bajic up front before Armstrong.

Wells will play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

On last night’s evidence I would start Bajic up front before Armstrong.

Wells will play.

Armstrong has that physicality to trouble Leeds defenders and personally I’d consider starting him out wide in a similar fashion to Semenyo when he  made the first team. 

Swop him with Hirawaka after an hour or so.

Can’t see that happening tho.

45 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

O’Leary

Tanner

Vyner

McNally

McCrorie

Knight

Bird

Sykes

Earthy

Mehmeti

Wells

Harsh on Yu but Sykes was outstanding last night and would give the balance for that game. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us go like for like and throw McGuane in the deep end to continue to use Bird in the 10

That’s what I think will be picked but I have slight concerns around energy levels given the last 2 tough games, (particularly Wells and Knight). Still would go with that though.

We wont do this , but I'd like to see ...

OLeary
Tanner - Vyner - McNally - McCrorie

Bird.   --  --  Knight
       Sykes. ---- Wells --- Earthy

Armstrong

Bit more pragmatic , hard working and pressing . But I think it carries a threat too.  

What I think will happen is the least amount of changes to keep things the same , might see straight swap Williams for McGuane . Tough game and we can't afford to start sloppily like we did last night. 

I am expecting Naismith or McGuane to replace Williams. Also Earthy could start instead of Mehmeti. Even though Sykes played well against Stoke, I would still start Yu against Leeds.

O’Leary

Tanner.  Vyner.  McNally.  McCrorie 

Bird.  Naismith/ McGuane

Yu. Knight.  Earthy 

Wells

59 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

OLeary

Bird.   --  --  Knight

Armstrong

Bit more pragmatic , hard working and pressing . But I think it carries a threat too.  

What I think will happen is the least amount of changes to keep things the same , might see straight swap Williams for McGuane . Tough game and we can't afford to start sloppily like we did last night. 

I actually think there's some merit in this.

Wells as the 10 for the pressing and defensive side of the game as well as the attacking, pace from Sykes and a bit of guile from Earthy on the left gives us good balance. As good as Leeds are, we need to look at ways we can hurt them and that's ultimately getting players in behind their Central Defenders who are very good with the game in front of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Armstrong has that physicality to trouble Leeds defenders and personally I’d consider starting him out wide in a similar fashion to Semenyo when he  made the first team. 

Swop him with Hirawaka after an hour or so.

Can’t see that happening tho.

The problem is he struggles to pass 10 yards to his team mates.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

The problem is he struggles to pass 10 yards to his team mates.

Semenyo couldn’t pass 10 yards either when he first broke into the first team and got severely slagged off on here as I recall and looked how he developed into a PL player……….:dunno:

Not that I’m suggesting that Armstrong will do the same………:cool2:

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Semenyo couldn’t pass 10 yards either when he first broke into the first team and got severely slagged off on here as I recall and looked how he developed into a PL player……….:dunno:

Not that I’m suggesting that Armstrong will do the same………:cool2:

Very different players and attributes. Wouldn’t be against Sinclair playing wide if we’re chasing a game.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

OLeary

Bird.   --  --  Knight

Armstrong

IF….you were gonna do this, ie play Wells as the 10/SS, I think you’d be better playing Mayulu as the CF.

I can't see us changing shape. Manning and Hogg truly believe in the consistent formation regardless.

All that's up for discussion is, which player plays in the 4231 formation?

I'm fully expecting the backline to remain the same Tanner, Vyner, McNally, McCorie, and then Knight and Bird in midfield, and then it's anyone's guess for the remaining positions!!

I think an argument can be made for each remaining position\player, however the strongest argument has to be for Wells given that he scored two last night, and played from the off at Middlesbrough.

I think we have a dilemma full stop when it comes to playing certain players. 

In just his few appearances, Earthy is quality. He oozes it. He brings so much to the game. He has to start for me. 

Which brings me to the Dilemma of selecting players, that will need games to improve, but in doing so will weaken us significantly. 

Mehmeti does my head in...I'd be getting rid of him asap. He hasn't got a footballing brain, makes so many poor decisions during the game. How often do we do all the hard work to create an opportunity, and it breaks down with him. He's not my type of player, sadly we're stuck with him under Manning. 

Mehmeti weakens us. 

Armstrong and Mayulu look so so raw at this level. Playing them whilst serving their apprenticeships with us, so to speak, weakens us up front. 

Armstrong however, is perfect as a sub when defenses are tired. Are we looking to make him a goal scoring striker? Because as of now, he's fast and strong, likes to dribble, good on the counter, more so wider, rather than centrally. But he can't hit a barn door, struggles with fast accurate passing, doesn't hold the ball well, and his offside awareness is poor. Imo, he's not suitable for the type of football LM wants to play. 

Wells, even at his age, is far, far ahead of both of them. 

Twine ( our ' big signing' ), imo, hasn't shown anything that warrants inclusion right now. His game seems to be drawing fouls, and complaining like a baby when he doesn't get them. It's very hard to warm to him. 

Yu has shown signs of quality. I do think he can add a good dimension in the last third, especially when coming inside. 

Which brings me to my biggest pet hate as to how we are playing in the last third. We do some really good work from midfield, but then on so many occasions, we put the ball really wide in the last third. The majority of the time the ball is lost at this point. Often attempted crosses that are blocked or easily defended against. 

It's a shocking game plan. Stats prove that when you go wide in the last phase, your opportunity of scoring diminish by over 90%.

The move where Earthy was put through on goal, down the middle, is exactly how we should be trying to play imo. 

The move for Wells equaliser. That's how it's done. 

In Earthy, Knight, Bird, Yu, Wells ( Twine even ), and Sykes if instructed to come inside instead. I don't get why LM instructs Sykes to play wide and cross, when his biggest weakness is crossing, and yet his biggest strength is finishing. Makes no sense at all.

We have the players that can do consistently better if we stop going wide and crossing all the time. 

Edited by spudski
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

IF….you were gonna do this, ie play Wells as the 10/SS, I think you’d be better playing Mayulu as the CF.

Which is exactly what I said on another thread , and it would probably be my preferred XI , but I do think we lack a bit of physicality which is why I went with Armstrong. 
I'm not sure we are going to get a lot of the ball, so SA being able to hold the ball and his pace keep the CBs occupied gives him the edge for me. If we could get more possession in the final 3rd Mayulu would be my pick . Probably that would be my favoured line up as Mayulu becomes more adjusted to the Championship, or we get more control of games.

I imagine the Leeds attackers are all sat around a table now trying to imagine how they can break down are quite pathetic defense!

Vyner who has regressed to Vyner of old and looks shot to pieces, MCNally who looks like a rabbit in headlights with the ball at his feet, a right back playing left back and George Tanner!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I imagine the Leeds attackers are all sat around a table now trying to imagine how they can break down are quite pathetic defense!

Vyner who has regressed to Vyner of old and looks shot to pieces, MCNally who looks like a rabbit in headlights with the ball at his feet, a right back playing left back and George Tanner!

But apart from that…..

• Haha 1