IGNORED

Some Goal Stats

Guest Neo

A lot of discussion is taking place around the strikers, should we have signed Robins etc. (the split on Robins seems to be about 50/50).

I have just been looking at the fixtures and results on the main site and pulled out the following goals stats (starting from the 1st league game v Notts County; includes all competitions).

We have scored 35 goals in 26 games (average of 1.3 goals a game)

Along the way we have failed to score in 8 games (losing 5 of these; drawn 3)

We have scored 1 goal only in 11 games (winning 3, drawing 7 and losing 1)

If you take out the 18 goals which came from just 4 games, you are left with 17 goals from 22 (average of less than a goal a game).

If season stats so far are a guide, my assessment of the above is this :-

We can stuff teams occasionally

By failing to score (in just short of a third of our games thus far) we can not hope to make the play-offs

We need to score more than 1 goal a game to to turn more losses and draws into wins.

I will not mention Robins again! However, I fear that we are not creating enough gilt-edged chances (and seem incapable of converting many half-chances) to change these stats in our favour.

I have been to this point reasonably optimistic, however, the above does not fill me with great expectations of Division I football next season.

I didn't appreciate the stats read that badly. The performances on the pitch, especially of late, suggest better.

Do these stats actually matter? Do people genuinely believe we will get promotion this year or is it "blind faith" that we will suddenly find the onion bag much more frequently?

Guest pukka_tukka

bringing up some interesting points, but i think we all know how weak we are in the final 3rd this season, but how much better we are at the back aswell...we dont seem to have a goal scorer which we have been wanting for such a long time, what's going on with the whole jamie cureton returning to england thing? surely DW will be interested.. :)

Haven't heard about Cureton lately. If he did come back would it matter? I presume that if we did by a player it wouldn't be a striker anyway?

It was never clear from what I remember if Cureton would have ever come here anyway; not after the abuse he's had down the years

Guest Dolman Moaner
We need to score more than 1 goal a game to to turn more losses and draws into wins.

Do you know, I'd have never thought of that.

Still, keeps the post count going mate :speechless3:

Excellent well thought out post Neo

And your point is VERY valid.

The only thing that at present is saving this season, and Mr Wilson, is the Medocriosy of our oppenents . Any team stringing 4/5 wins back to back climbs about 10 places.

It would be intersting to see where we would have been in last seasons league with our present points tally.

Do you know, I'd have never thought of that.

Still, keeps the post count going mate  :speechless3:

The purpose of the comment that we need to score more than 1 goal was pointing out that in a majority of our games, 1 goal isn't enough and in a majority of our games we do not achieve this.

Fascinating, in a football match - the winning team must score more goals than the opposing team.

Cheers!

The standard response again to 1 of my posts. Never a dull moment. :Sleep15:.

Archived