IGNORED

The Wilson Void

newboy

Unless senility has struck early, I remember a substantial amount of comments a couple of months back about:

- making DW go immediately

- giving DW until Xmas (the majority opinion)

- letting him stay with no question

A couple of months have passed and in my opinion, I think City have improved substantially in terms of attitude and quality of play but the results aren't just coming in.

There's only so many games you can put down to bad luck, but personally I'm impressed with the turn around in motivation.

Out of interest, now that we've only a week and bit til Xmas, what's the view of those with the 'wait and see' opinion?

And for those who wanted him out 2 months ago, have you changed your minds about him given the 'upturn' in quality of play?

And finally, for those who want him out - what's the alternative - does anyone know of a decent alternative that City could afford?

For what it's worth, I'm frustrated that City have a huge potential - DW doesn't seem capable of unlocking it, but don't know who to suggest as an alternative...

Performances have improved and to be fair to Wilson hes done pretty much what we all thought he should do to improve things.

unfortunatly he has still yet to get his head around the fact that Peacock doesnt play well with Miller, I dont think we are far off going on a long unbeaten run. Just need to take the chances and a couple of wins will breed confidence in the forwards.

I honestly think if he gave Roberts and Miller a run of five straight games with at least 3 quaters of the game on the pitch (ie no peacock for roberts substitution at 60 mins!!) then we would win all five games.

There would really be no gain in changing managers now.

Guest KingswoodRed

I personally don't think DW is the right man to have in place now.

He, as does some of the regular players on the main site, keeps coming out with the same sort of rhetoric week in week out.

If memory serves me correctly, I think Mr. Wilson even said himself we would be top by Christmas.

That's going to take a hell of a lot of wrangling for that to happen.

Again, personally I cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel based on current form/results both of BCFC and the 2 teams that seem to be taking a grip of this league.

I think DW has had time this season to work out the best team/formation, and by all accounts he is only just now coming up with that, and still no positive results.

I was neither a 'Wilson out' man nor a 'give him another 3 years' type earlier in the season, though my doubts then have increased.

Is it better the devil you know, or time for a change?

Neither, sadly, seems an effective alternative.

We should stick with Wilson until the end of the season to give him the chance to continue the year on year imporovement we have shown since he came.

If we go up, he should stay.

If we don't, his position will be untenable as I think the majority of fans will feel that four years without promotion is not good enough.

I have never been in the 'Wilson Out' camp, but if we're not promoted this season, then I will become a fully paid up member ... though not for long I suspect, as I can't imagine him still being in charge next season if we're still in Division 2.

His replacement would be determined by who is available and who we can afford, assuming we have to buy him out of what's left of his contract. Of course, he may feel that if we don't go up this year, then he can take the club no further and do the decent thing and move on.

However, this is all academic. As I have consistently said since the end of last season, we will finish in the top 2 come next May.

I was one of those who wanted to wait and see. I am happy with the change in style but am baffled by the lack of goals the attacking style has produced (bar BHA). We still need a wide right player and a decent goalie.

If he had not been given a three year contract I would have said bye, as it is I don't believe the club has an alternative but to stick with him.

<br /> Do you not think that the top two have got a little too far away from us over the last few weeks?

No, although we do need to start stringing some wins together to catch them.

I think QPR will finish top, and that Plymouth will fall away after Christmas. Second place is very much up for grabs.

No other team have convinced me that they have what it takes to mount a sustained challenge for promotion. We have the squad, and the ability. Hopefully we will have learnt from last season, and the players will be able to step up to the mark when the going gets tough and tense in the New Year.

There were several teams who were in with a realistic chance of automatic promotion last season. Wigan, Oldham, Cardiff, QPR, Crewe and us.

This year the only team who can match us are QPR. The right loan signing might just give us the kick start we need to help us realise our huge potential.

I remain confident that we can do it.

<br /> No, although we do need to start stringing some wins together to catch them.

I think QPR will finish top,  and that Plymouth will fall away after Christmas. Second place is very much up for grabs.

No other team have convinced me that they have what it takes to mount a sustained challenge for promotion. We have the squad, and the ability. Hopefully we will have learnt from last season, and the players will be able to step up to the mark when the going gets tough and tense in the New Year.

There were several teams who were in with a realistic chance of automatic promotion last season. Wigan, Oldham, Cardiff, QPR, Crewe and us.

This year the only team who can match us are QPR. The right loan signing might just give us the kick start we need to help us realise our huge potential.

I remain confident that we can do it.

I agree that there is not any other teams that will challenge for auto but do disagree with you about PA, I think they will last the distance and the gap is becoming a little too much. We need to string together results but we have been saying that for weeks and it aint happening is it.

I can see us finishing third as we are not scoring enough goals to gain auto.

The comments i read on here were "we're only 5 points off top spot, stop moaning" about a month ago, well we're 10 points off the top now, do the wait and see'ers wait another month for us to be 15 points off top spot then announce that we are only five wins away from the leaders.

We are in my opinion failing this season, this long winning run that some predict has been on the cards since October but as yet we haven't seen it, "the others above us will slip up" they said, well not yet they haven't and why would they, "this is a poor league" we heard, well yes, so what hope can we have if we are falling behind the leaders in a poor league, what does this tell us about this City side.

Play offs is my prediction this year, and we know what happens to City in the play offs dont we??

Wilson is too blame for this failure, he buys the players, he coaches the players, he picks the players, as for his successor, well Leroy Rosenior would be top of my list, he couldn't do any worse in a 3 year period with the resources Wilson has had given to him.

Guest Red Sinjen

I personally think he has been given far too long already. I questioned last season whether he was the right man in charge i.e. the man to deliver us promotion to Div 1. I just cannot see the progress that a lot of supporters keep harping on about. IMHO, whilst we are in this division there is no improvement! Reaching the play offs again will be failure unless we actually reach and win the final. Now we all know what a lottery they are and our previous records within them.

I know fully paid up season tickets holders that are not attending matches let alone the full paying floating supporters and before they get accused of being fickle and part time, supporters are fed up with the quality on offer and I believe many only renewed season tickets with the belief that this would finally be the year. However we look like a side that has a fight to secure a play off place! When we see teams like Plymouth and even to an extent QPR showing a greater improvement than us with fewer years in the division, with similar financial problems and constraints then it is rightly extremely hard to take. The most important aspect is, regardless of the state of the club Wilson inherited, the fact that 4 years down the line there is still no real tangible improvement and there does not look like one will be forthcoming. Oh how I hope the doubters, myself included are proved wrong!!

People have differing views, and tolerances as to what they can take and what they want to get out of visiting Ashton Gate on a Saturday or a match day and I am told by many that they have just about had enough and have decided to make the choice to spend their Saturdays on an activity that gives them greater pleasure. This may be hard for the hardcore to accept but it is reality that will become more and more apparent with every draw or defeat the team picks up. If everybody had the same level of patience, income, tolerance, then we would average 35,000 a season. But that is obviously just not the case.

BCFC are fast approaching a watershed, where if action is not taken will possibly lead to more serious problems: There will be downsizing on a massive scale. Our better players will leave for financial gain and ambition. There will have to be a reduction in the academy. Also a reduction in facilities and the playing staff. The chairman has already stated that we cannot sustain it any longer. Now if we can get out of this division now, how on earth will it happen then? Changes are needed and fast.

I am still of the opinion that we should allow Wilson to do his job this season, and I'm still optimistic that we can win auto promotion.

I don't think there is any doubt that, should we still be in D2 next season, Wilson will be history.

I am one of those who said give him till the New Year to see how things are going, and I still stand by that.

I think he has shown enough progress since the dismal start of the season to continue at present. As long as we take 7 points from the next 3 games before the New Year, he should be given a vote of confidence for a few more weeks.

But, if we fail to make the next 3 games count, I think he could be on a precipice...

Our recent form reviewed in the cold hard light of New Years Day might prove pivotal in Wilson's career with the City.

Archived